Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I’d like to try something out on you. As most readers know, a majority of Christians thing there’s a possibility of salvation for non-Christians. But normally this is justified by saying that they are somehow saved by Christ even though they don’t know it.

I’ve had a problem with this. It seems artificial. I’m also thinking that it may be unnecessary. After all, while most Christians will tell you that the primary purpose Jesus came was to save people from hell, it doesn’t appear that Jesus actually said that. So let me look at an alternative.

* People are obviously imperfect, and need God’s grace.

* But God doesn’t demand perfection. He does demand repentance and forgiveness. Contrary to classical Protestant theology, the Bible does not say that no one can be righteous (except one proof text, which I think it taken out of context). Lots of people are called righteous in the Bible. Righteousness means being accepted by God, and living a life that is accepted by God. It means one is committed to doing the right thing, and repents when they fail. It does not mean moral perfection. While it will be judged in the end by our lives, it’s not a matter of keeping score, and according to Jesus’ various accounts of judgement, it seems to be more a matter of showing that we mattered to others than of showing that we didn’t sin.

* Salvation, for Jesus at least, seems to mean two different things: Being accepted in the final judgement, and changing ones’ direction from being opposed to God to being a follower.

All of this together seems to say that Jesus wasn’t needed to save people. And in fact Paul says that Abraham was justified on the basis of faith, which clearly was not faith in Christ. Many who believe in the salvation of non-Christians will say that Christ saves everyone who is (in the sense defined above) righteous, because they are all virtual Christians. I’ve said that in the past, but I don’t think there’s any real Biblical basis for it, and it seems to demean the nature and effects of faith as described by Paul.

Jesus says primarily that he came to establish the Kingdom. This seems to be essentially eschatological, a fulfillment of Israel’s expectations that the world will be put to rights. There’s no sense in the OT that everyone then living was damned because they weren’t living in the that perfect future time. Jesus speaks of the new covenant in the Words of Institution. This is normally taken as a reference to Jer 31:31. But there’s no sense in that passage that everyone living in the current one was damned.

Therefore I think Jesus was both telling people what they needed to do, just like any prophet did, and establishing the beginning of the new covenant / new Kingdom. But I don’t think he saw himself as providing the only way for people to avoid hell, although he certainly did see himself as saving people. I think he primarily saw himself as bringing something new, a new and more radical way of following God, a foretaste of how it will be in the end. (I’m not dealing with John here. That sees people who reject Jesus as condemned. But it’s different for one to be confronted by Jesus and reject him, vs being part of the old covenant.)

Did Paul think Jesus was needed for salvation? Rom 2 seems to envision people who wouldn’t have known Jesus and maybe not even Israel’s God as being saved. He certainly saw Abraham as justified. Certainly for him Jesus dealt with sin. Rom 6 says that we die with sin and rise to new life. Does this mean that everyone who doesn’t is damned? I don’t think so. Rom 5:12ff is the strongest support for that idea; see below. You can reasonably read Rom 3:25 ff as saying that God forgave people before Christ. What Christ changed was that, in accordance with Rom 6, he now actually deals with sin. This would then be consistent with Jesus’ idea that he’s bringing a new covenant which changes the heart.

What about Rom 5:12 ff? The passage as a whole contrasts two ages, the one brought in by Adam, of death and condemnation, and the new one of Christ. This is much like Jesus’ Kingdom and new covenant. But just because those before Christ were ruled by death doesn’t mean that they all went to hell, unless we reject the OT. Note that Paul emphasizes that in the first age death spread to *all* because all sinned. And in fact all died (and do still die). Nothing about it spreading only to those who didn’t have faith.

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
So you're saying that the message of the gospel is: "Try your best to be good and you'll be saved." Is this a fair summary?

No. Jesus is pretty clear what the Gospel is. It is that in him the Kingdom of God has come. We are called to be its agents.

However not everything he says is about the Gospel. He also teaches on a wide range of subjects. As you surely know, he’s asked how to be saved. His answer is to obey the commandments. The person asking wanted something more, but there’s no reason to believe Jesus isn’t serious about his first answer. But that has to be qualified by several things:
* That God loves us and won’t give up on us.
* That God forgives and expects us to forgive others.
* That for Jesus good fruit is the result of a good tree.

So being good (the Bible normally calls it being righteous) isn’t just a matter of actions, even though it will be judged by actions. It’s a basic orientation, of loving God and neighbor, it requires repenting when we fail and forgiving others, and it’s a response to God’s love for us. But with that caveat, yes, the righteous will be saved. (I'd rather use the Biblical term.)

But I don’t think the ability to do that is restricted to Christians, nor do I think that’s what his real mission was. After all, everything I’ve said can be found in the prophets, though not put together quite the way Jesus did it. His real mission was to bring something new: the Kingdom or new covenant based on faith in him.

Upvote 0

Deadworm

May 26, 2016
Colville, WA 99114
✟68,313.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
To give Hedrick's discussion more context, it seems useful to make these 10 of many points in favor of his thesis.

(1) The sins of pagans who lived before Jesus were not counted against them if they were committed in ignorance:
"In times past, God overlooked your ignorance, but now He commands all people everywhere to repent (Acts 17:30).

(2) God judges us relatively on the basis of the spiritual knowledge we have internalized (Luke 12:47-48).

(3) In fact, to the degree that pagans lack a written or internal moral law, they are not held accountable for their sinful acts:
"Sin not imputed where there is no law"

(4) But pagans can act in obedience to an instinctive sense of God's law, and if, as a result, they "do good" and seek "honor" and "immortality," they will receive "eternal life (Romans 2:7, 14-15)."

(5) Jesus taught that if people don't actively oppose what He stands for, He considers them to be on His side:
"Whoever is not against us is for us (Mark 9:40)."

(6) Unbelievers get a second chance after death and the Judgment. After rising from the dead, Jesus preached to the wicked dead in "prison" (Hades). Thus, they have a chance to respond positively to His preaching and be saved (1 Peter3:19). Indeed, 4:6 seems to routinize such redemptive postmortem preaching to the so-called damned.

(7) So the gates of Heaven ("the new Jerusalem") are permanently open to the wicked dead outside (Revelation 21:25: 22:15).

(8) In this sense, God is ultimately the Savior of believer and unbeliever alike:
God "is the Savior of all people, especially (i. e., more immediately) those who believe (2 Timothy 4:10)."

(9) Thus, God takes responsibility for bondage to sin and the chance of every human to find mercy: God imprisoned all people in disobedience, so that He might have mercy on them all (Romans 11:32)."

(10) So in Paul's view, proxy baptism for the unsaved dead as part of the means whereby God will become "all in all" or "everything to everyone ("panta en pasin"--1 Corinthians 15:28-29)."

Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟611,327.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Romans 1:18-23
For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and wickedness of those who by their wickedness suppress the truth. For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. Ever since the creation of the world his eternal power and divine nature, invisible though they are, have been understood and seen through the things he has made. So they are without excuse; for though they knew God, they did not honour him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their senseless minds were darkened. Claiming to be wise, they became fools; and they exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling a mortal human being or birds or four-footed animals or reptiles.​

The argument that Paul places before us here, is to do with the universal revelation of God, and the response of humankind to the universal revelation of God. The specific revelation of God in Christ Jesus is the matter of the Gospel.

So it is not about being good - for that would be Pelagianism - it is about our response to the God who reveals himself. It is not my place to judge another person. God in his universal justice and equity I have no doubt has that well in hand. God in Christ calls me to respond, to turn and amend my life, to be transformed in Him, and to hold forth that light that others may see and not stumble.

John 3:16-17
For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life. Indeed, God did not send the Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.​

I will not proclaim salvation by any other name, but only in the name of Jesus, for here it is sure, redemption purchased in the blood of Jesus, once for all. At the same time, as a child of grace, it behoves me to be graceful, and to recognise that it is not my place to condemn others, for God who breathed a gentle breath before he spoke one word in creation can be trusted to be the God of Justice Truth and Love.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Pelagianism isn’t about the standards we have to meet, but about grace (or its lack). That is, Pelagius’ problem was that he thought we had to meet God’s requirements on our own. Jesus portrays God as a Father who wants us to love him, and goes out of his way to rescue us. Depending upon whether you’re a Calvinist or not, he either pulls us to himself or he regenerates us directly.

The problem with “trying to be righteous” isn’t the righteous, but the “trying.” It is more, again depending upon whether you’re a Calvinist, responding to God’s call to be righteous, or making us righteous. Paul, in both the passage you quote and Rom 2, maintains that God does that even with pagans. He also maintains that both Jews and Gentiles are equally in need of God's grace, that it's not just Gentiles that are in trouble without it. Although in Rom 2 he does indicate that God is at work even with pagans, the main point of Rom 1 and Rom 2 is that Jews and Gentiles are equally in need of grace.

Incidentally, one of my concerns is to understand Paul in a way that makes his message consistent with Jesus’. Paul sees us as accepted (justified) by faith. Faith for him seems to be a basic commitment, not just a belief or set of beliefs. Jesus’ doesn’t use faith in that way. So what plays the role of faith in Jesus’ message? I’d say love, in a broad sense. Love not as a feeling but as a basic commitment, including forgiving others and repenting when needed. That was the good tree from which good fruit arise.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
When you read passages about how Jesus came to save, such as John 3:16, my point is that this doesn't imply that no one was ever saved before Jesus. I think both Jesus himself and Paul show Jesus as bringing new possibilities, the new covenant, the Kingdom now present. But God was still at work in the old covenant, and in places outside of Israel.

• Agree
Reactions: Radicchio
Upvote 0

Jack of Spades

I told you so
Oct 3, 2015
Finland
✟34,886.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
When speaking of inclusive theology, for me it makes more sense to think of Christianity being part of something bigger, rather than the something bigger being part of Christianity.

In my mind, the picture becomes much more intuitive and simple when put that way. What would you answer to that?

But I don’t think the ability to do that is restricted to Christians, nor do I think that’s what his real mission was. After all, everything I’ve said can be found in the prophets, though not put together quite the way Jesus did it. His real mission was to bring something new: the Kingdom or new covenant based on faith in him.

Am I reading this right when I read you saying that Jesus didn't come to bring the only way to God, just an improved model of the way that can be found everywhere? A helpful boost?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Am I reading this right when I read you saying that Jesus didn't come to bring the only way to God, just an improved model of the way that can be found everywhere? A helpful boost?
Something more. It's a mistake to reduce Christianity to avoiding hell. Obeying the commandments, repenting and forgiving can do that. (At least Jesus says so.) Jesus came to create a new kind of community and a new kind of relationship with God.

And a new approach to conflict. It's pretty clear that this was a big concern for him. He clearly saw what was going to happen to Israel if people didn't change their approach to Rome. Much of his message -- while good in itself -- seems to have been particularly aimed at that.

I'm saying this with at least one eye out for the future of the Church. Fear of hell is no longer motivating people to come out on Sundays. We need to offer something more positive: a new way of life. Indeed the churches that are growing are doing so for that reason: they're supplying a kind of religious experience that is important to people.

• Informative
Reactions: Mustaphile
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I’d like to try something out on you. As most readers know, a majority of Christians thing there’s a possibility of salvation for non-Christians. But normally this is justified by saying that they are somehow saved by Christ even though they don’t know it.

I’ve had a problem with this. It seems artificial. I’m also thinking that it may be unnecessary. After all, while most Christians will tell you that the primary purpose Jesus came was to save people from hell, it doesn’t appear that Jesus actually said that. So let me look at an alternative.

* People are obviously imperfect, and need God’s grace.

* But God doesn’t demand perfection. He does demand repentance and forgiveness. Contrary to classical Protestant theology, the Bible does not say that no one can be righteous (except one proof text, which I think it taken out of context). Lots of people are called righteous in the Bible. Righteousness means being accepted by God, and living a life that is accepted by God. It means one is committed to doing the right thing, and repents when they fail. It does not mean moral perfection. While it will be judged in the end by our lives, it’s not a matter of keeping score, and according to Jesus’ various accounts of judgement, it seems to be more a matter of showing that we mattered to others than of showing that we didn’t sin.

* Salvation, for Jesus at least, seems to mean two different things: Being accepted in the final judgement, and changing ones’ direction from being opposed to God to being a follower.

All of this together seems to say that Jesus wasn’t needed to save people. And in fact Paul says that Abraham was justified on the basis of faith, which clearly was not faith in Christ. Many who believe in the salvation of non-Christians will say that Christ saves everyone who is (in the sense defined above) righteous, because they are all virtual Christians. I’ve said that in the past, but I don’t think there’s any real Biblical basis for it, and it seems to demean the nature and effects of faith as described by Paul.

Jesus says primarily that he came to establish the Kingdom. This seems to be essentially eschatological, a fulfillment of Israel’s expectations that the world will be put to rights. There’s no sense in the OT that everyone then living was damned because they weren’t living in the that perfect future time. Jesus speaks of the new covenant in the Words of Institution. This is normally taken as a reference to Jer 31:31. But there’s no sense in that passage that everyone living in the current one was damned.

Therefore I think Jesus was both telling people what they needed to do, just like any prophet did, and establishing the beginning of the new covenant / new Kingdom. But I don’t think he saw himself as providing the only way for people to avoid hell, although he certainly did see himself as saving people. I think he primarily saw himself as bringing something new, a new and more radical way of following God, a foretaste of how it will be in the end. (I’m not dealing with John here. That sees people who reject Jesus as condemned. But it’s different for one to be confronted by Jesus and reject him, vs being part of the old covenant.)

Did Paul think Jesus was needed for salvation? Rom 2 seems to envision people who wouldn’t have known Jesus and maybe not even Israel’s God as being saved. He certainly saw Abraham as justified. Certainly for him Jesus dealt with sin. Rom 6 says that we die with sin and rise to new life. Does this mean that everyone who doesn’t is damned? I don’t think so. Rom 5:12ff is the strongest support for that idea; see below. You can reasonably read Rom 3:25 ff as saying that God forgave people before Christ. What Christ changed was that, in accordance with Rom 6, he now actually deals with sin. This would then be consistent with Jesus’ idea that he’s bringing a new covenant which changes the heart.

What about Rom 5:12 ff? The passage as a whole contrasts two ages, the one brought in by Adam, of death and condemnation, and the new one of Christ. This is much like Jesus’ Kingdom and new covenant. But just because those before Christ were ruled by death doesn’t mean that they all went to hell, unless we reject the OT. Note that Paul emphasizes that in the first age death spread to *all* because all sinned. And in fact all died (and do still die). Nothing about it spreading only to those who didn’t have faith.

You have some great points here, hedrick! And I don't have anything to add to your overall questions and considerations, but I will briefly make a soteriological suggestion.

Since it is very difficult to see the details in the Big Picture of God's economy of salvation (soteriology), I'd propose that the Church take a more ambiguous approach to the lost, but an approach which nevertheless requires that Christians feel a deep-seated need to reach "the lost." And in this approach, I suggest that we simply define those who will never hear of Christ as a distinct group from those will hear the Gospel on a sufficient level. Then, we more or less classify those who will never hear of Christ, or have never heard the Gospel in a sufficient manner, as "Unidentifiables."

We should classify those who will never hear sufficiently as "Unidentifiables" because from a human point of view, we as the Church do not know, and cannot know, precisely how God will judge each "Unidentifiable" at the Final Judgment. They each stand as a "?" before the Church since we do not have enough detail in the Bible to give us a definitive and comprehensive way to know how "Unidentifiables" will ultimately be judged by God; it could go either way. Despite their ongoing spiritual anonymity before the Church, they are each an individual for whom we can pray in the hope that God in His mercy will accept them according to the light He has provided them during their lives.

As for those who have heard, this group is made up of two categories: The "Acceptors" and the "Objectors." In the case of the accepting, we have confidence as to where they square in gaining eternal life in Christ. But, as for the objecting, we in the Church know they will not likely gain God's favor in Christ at the Final Judgment.

Thus, with this approach, we take the weight off of having to understand the full economy of God's grace as it relates to the availability of the (clear) Gospel message; we won't have to answer that time worn question of "What happens to those who've never heard?" We do indeed leave it in the hands of God. Yet, this approach retains the urgency of the Church's need to continue its God directed effort to reach out in love and truth on behalf of Christ to those on all sides. It also is more honest and may be more appealing as a truthful explanation about "Unidentifiables."

That's my approach. It's simpler, and it's more philosophically practical -- although I'm open to theological criticisms and other considerations.

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,267.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
From what I understand of Lutheranism, there would be fewer barriers to inclusivism, since there is already a doctrine of universal objective justification: Jesus is the savior of all. That isn't conditional on anything we do.

I agree about presenting a new way of life, something to do. But I think a lot of churches emphasize the wrong things about what to do. They advocate essentially a kind of pietism in response to Jesus being their savior, with the implicit message that true Christians will live up to a certain standard- a standard always carefully guarded by religious gatekeepers to exclude the wrong sorts of people.

On the contrary, I believe the thing churches can do is to be more inclusive. As my pastor says, the greatest scandal the world has with the Gospel is the idea that somebody gets something absolutely free. Everybody wants somebody to have to pay or work for something. Prostitutes and tax collectors have to pay their dues.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
While I certainly believe that non-Christians can and will be saved, I must be honest and admit that such a belief does go against the bulk of the New Testament. Evangelicals and Fundamentalists and Ultra-Traditional Catholics have a better leg to stand on than we do when it comes to what the New Testament teaches re: who will be saved and who will not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mustaphile

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2004
Indiana
✟35,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I appreciate the discussion of the theological underpinnings of inclusivity. They are certainly integral to regenerating the institutions of Christianity. As I read them the phrase from popular culture echoes in my mind.

"If you build it, they will come".

When we take the time to create new and improved institutions, I am certain the people will come. There is a desperate search for meaning in our current western culture. The more we are able to bring the forces of reason and revelation together, the more we will progress. I see potential in this when I witness the free interchange of ideas in polite and fruitful debate.

On an individual level, it just seems intuitive that there must be some inclusivity. Not being a builder of institutions, that is sufficient for me.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I appreciate the discussion of the theological underpinnings of inclusivity. They are certainly integral to regenerating the institutions of Christianity. As I read them the phrase from popular culture echoes in my mind.

"If you build it, they will come".

When we take the time to create new and improved institutions, I am certain the people will come. There is a desperate search for meaning in our current western culture. The more we are able to bring the forces of reason and revelation together, the more we will progress. I see potential in this when I witness the free interchange of ideas in polite and fruitful debate.

On an individual level, it just seems intuitive that there must be some inclusivity. Not being a builder of institutions, that is sufficient for me.

So screening out the losers is a bad idea then?

Upvote 0

Mustaphile

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2004
Indiana
✟35,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
So screening out the losers is a bad idea then?

I don't think you have provided enough substance to your question to give it a definitive answer. In its current form, it seems packed with presumptions that have not yet been elaborated on earlier in the discussion. Feel free to expand upon, who is doing the screening, how you are defining a 'loser', where are you screening them from?

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
How can you support inclusivism, which I take to mean people who are unbelievers in Christ can get to the Father God who art in heaven, Holy be His name?, when Jesus spoke this.
John 14:6
Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

Jesus also describes Himself as the Door, saying He is the Door of the sheep, by which the sheep are saved, so no way except through Christ for salvation is what is taught by Christ and all the apostles doctrine say the same.
John 10:7
[ Jesus the Good Shepherd ] Then Jesus said to them again, “Most assuredly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep.
In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations
John 10:9
I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture.

• Useful
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
How can you support inclusivism, which I take to mean people who are unbelievers in Christ can get to the Father God who art in heaven, Holy be His name?, when Jesus spoke this.
John 14:6
Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
The problem with this citation of John 14:6 is that it ignores the context. Jesus is talking about knowing the Father. Jesus is God's presence, and is the only way to come to know God. But when we know God, we know that he loves everyone. And Jesus is the savior of the whole world.

• Informative
Upvote 0