"Then why didn't you stay in Mexico?": Latino dad interrupted at meeting about racism

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
"Then why didn't you stay in Mexico?": A Latino dad was interrupted by a white man at meeting about racism in schools
Adrian Iraola and his family are all too familiar with the ugly sentiments that have come their way since he immigrated to the United States four decades ago.

On Monday, he was telling a crowd of parents in Saline, Mich., about the harm these kinds of remarks had inflicted on his son yet again — how classmates' taunts of "taco," "enchilada" and "dirty Mexican" had left the high schooler in tears.

"I went to his bedroom to say good night," Iraola said, turning to an audience that had been discussing diversity and inclusion in schools. "He was crying because of the abuse that he was enduring in this school system."

Suddenly, the man behind him interjected.

"Then why didn't you stay in Mexico?" he asked.

Keeping it classy. This is what bigotry looks like.

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I can’t tell you how horrible that is. While not Mexico specifically I heard such sentiment over and over during my college days.

seems the liberal elites thought it servitude to work on spring, summer and Christmas breaks instead of going someplace and drinking myself blind like they did.

Thank God for working class students who stuck as friends.

Bigotry has no place anywhere
Yeah, the racist conservatives in college were always partying and ranting about people of color when I was in school. When you pair that with their ant-gay rhetoric, the bigotry was headache inducing.

• Agree
Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟866,112.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
"dirty Mexican". Hmm, reminds me of Joe Biden's comments about Obama: finally we have a clean African-American.

No but seriously, no child should ever be subjected to...oh wait, he's a high-schooler? :|

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
  • Agree
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
It may be simple bullying. Bullies belittle white kids as well, but of course don't use race to do it. They do however often attack the physical appearance of their victims. They also attack those who show weakness or lack of self-esteem.
Well it's not simple bullying, the students are being singled out and attack because of their race or ethnicity. Moreover, much like other incidents of racism, the entire community is targeted as opposed to an individual. These forms of bias intimidation do not only affect the individual who is attacked or bullied.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
It may be simple bullying. Bullies belittle white kids as well, but of course don't use race to do it.

Actually, they often do - bullies aren't always white.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟651,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well it's not simple bullying, the students are being singled out and attack because of their race or ethnicity. Moreover, much like other incidents of racism, the entire community is targeted as opposed to an individual. These forms of bias intimidation do not only affect the individual who is attacked or bullied.

Kids are singled out over plenty of things besides their race. If they're short, or ugly, or socially awkward, or even too good of a student, or because they come from a rich/poor home, or have red hair, or have a strange-sounding name, or have bad teeth, or don't smoke or won't do drugs if that's what the bullies are doing, or have a disability, or wear glasses, or.....well, you get the idea.
Trust me, I'm white and was bullied all through my school days. I even became suicidal over it near the end and was taken out of school. But I didn't have the advantage of using skin color as a way of labeling my tormentors.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Guaranteed student loans opened the door for massive immigration of foreign workers.

My ancestors were foreigners! :clap: Many of them lived in the colonies of New England.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟700,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, the racist conservatives in college were always partying and ranting about people of color when I was in school. When you pair that with their ant-gay rhetoric, the bigotry was headache inducing.

interesting, my experience was the exact office, it was the liberals mocking me.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My ancestors were foreigners! :clap: Many of them lived in the colonies of New England.

I don't think the English were actually considered foreigners seeing as how they were the ones who first invaded America. In fact I'm guessing many later English immigrants had relatives here.

Guaranteed student loans are a rather recent development.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Kids are singled out over plenty of things besides their race. If they're short, or ugly, or socially awkward, or even too good of a student, or because they come from a rich/poor home, or have red hair, or have a strange-sounding name, or have bad teeth, or don't smoke or won't do drugs if that's what the bullies are doing, or have a disability, or wear glasses, or.....well, you get the idea.
Trust me, I'm white and was bullied all through my school days. I even became suicidal over it near the end and was taken out of school. But I didn't have the advantage of using skin color as a way of labeling my tormentors.

Very few minorities in my high school, but none were bullied. Most were actually looked up to by the rest of us, for athletic and scholastic achievements. One little guy, a Mexican, was the archtype of one who would attract bullying. However he was a 'manager' of the football, basketball, and baseball teams, as well as active in the school's social events so he was personally acquainted with just about everyone.

Reactions: Aldebaran
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I don't think the English were actually considered foreigners seeing as how they were the ones who first invaded America. In fact I'm guessing many later English immigrants had relatives here.

Guaranteed student loans are a rather recent development.
Living in the colonies of New England didn't make them English as if those people were more virtuous than my German, French and Dutch ancestors.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Living in the colonies of New England didn't make them English as if those people were more virtuous than my German, French and Dutch ancestors.

Early immigrants were descendants of Israel (see British Israelism). Joseph led the way, the others followed, just as in Egypt.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Early immigrants were descendants of Israel (see British Israelism). Joseph led the way, the others followed, just as in Egypt.

I suspected you were involved in that. That's about as wacko as it gets. The guy that started it was mentally ill. And the churches that teach it are cults; they don't believe in our God!

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0