Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
If it doesn't apply to you, would it set your alarm bells off?
You mean debate restrictions stacked in my favour?

Yes it would. Big time. If I felt capable of not requiring them I'd be loathed to participate in an area so heavily in favour of my perspectives to the point of censoring others.

Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
Here is a link.

My favourite part is:

"We recognize that real seekers are looking for real answers, and the first reply given may be insufficient to achieve this. It is acceptable for the Original Poster (OP) to probe the answers given, and to continue the discussion on lines which help to clarify their understanding of the Christian faith. If another non-Christian seeker wishes to ask questions about the Christian faith, they may start their own thread. No more than one non-Christian (the OP) may post in a thread." [emphasis mine]

Upvote 0

Atothetheist

Jun 20, 2012
✟15,129.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You mean debate restrictions stacked in my favour?

Yes it would. Big time. If I felt capable of not requiring them I'd be loathed to participate in an area so heavily in favour of my perspectives to the point of censoring others.

Look at the layout of the form.... Almost all of the things atheists would find interesting, and would like to respond to are in the (Christians Only) thread. We only have threads lile these, and even then.. We can't voice our opinions. At least at the atheist form thread I am on, we don't have such rules.

Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Look at the layout of the form.... Almost all of the things atheists would find interesting, and would like to respond to are in the (Christians Only) thread. We only have threads lile these, and even then.. We can't voice our opinions. At least at the atheist form thread I am on, we don't have such rules.
Yah, I had a look.

Looks great, but gets dull talking to people who agree with you on almost everything. Unless one feels the need to vent.

Atheists seem to tend to look for debate and discussion whereas theists seem to look for fellowship and preaching.

Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
Yah, I had a look.

Looks great, but gets dull talking to people who agree with you on almost everything. Unless one feels the need to vent.

Atheists seem to tend to look for debate and discussion whereas theists seem to look for fellowship and preaching.

Aye. I can think of nothing more dull than to surround myself with people who agree with me on almost anything on a debate forum.

If I want fellowship, I go and meet some friends. What's the point of a discussion forum if there's nothing to discuss, really? A hundred and twenty replies along the lines of "Amen, brother" and "Yes, exactly"?

Upvote 0

hollyda

To read makes our speaking English good
Mar 25, 2011
One Square Foot of Real Estate
✟17,438.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Aye. I can think of nothing more dull than to surround myself with people who agree with me on almost anything on a debate forum.

If I want fellowship, I go and meet some friends. What's the point of a discussion forum if there's nothing to discuss, really? A hundred and twenty replies along the lines of "Amen, brother" and "Yes, exactly"?

Thiiiiis. I joined the Happy Atheist site, but I got bored. Too much camaraderie. I find the debates here at good ole CF a lot of fun, not to mention intellectually stimulating. All-atheists forums are a good resource, I'd say, but this is more rewarding; in order to make a point, I have to first make sure my facts are indeed facts and not suppositions.

Upvote 0

Delphiki

May 7, 2010
Ohio
✟5,675.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Well if anybody wants to debate, our site has no restrictions on criticizing or trying ot prove atheism wrong.
The thinking atheist dot com (no spaces)

Then click the forums, we welcome theists or deists... Most of us are even respectful. Hope to see you there.....

I was hoping on having the debate here, but.....

So are you saying you're Seth or a fan?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Booko

Poultry in Motion
Aug 14, 2006
Georgia
✟19,470.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

That depends very much on the theist in question not to mention the form of their theism.

Some forms of theism don't start from a stance that leads too easily to insecurity. Example (since awitch is in this thread): Pagans don't have a belief that they have the only right view, so the fact that others have a different view is not threatening to their faith.

Speaking for myself only, I'm not naturally very competitive, so I don't lean in the direction of debate really, but a heated discussion is something I consider "fun" and it can lead to better understanding all around.

@OP: I'm not a Christian though, so I can't really address your OP. This is the backwater where they allow us folks to exist, presumably for the purpose of being convenient conversion fodder, or so the forum description would lead one to believe. ;)

Upvote 0

Atothetheist

Jun 20, 2012
✟15,129.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
So does that mean we cannot debate with the Atheists?
I just joined this (Awful looking) site because I saw they were coming here from The Thinking Atheist to debate..

So, are we good to go or what?

I want to debate and discuss, but this site clearly doesn't allow it...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
So does that mean we cannot debate with the Atheists?

I'm not sure if a Christian can start the debate or not. They can do things non-Christiants can't do here.

I just joined this (Awful looking) site because I saw they were coming here from The Thinking Atheist to debate..

The server that hosts the graphics is experiencing some technical difficulties. The site usually looks much better and actually fits on the screen without having to use the scroll bars.

Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
That depends very much on the theist in question not to mention the form of their theism.
Well, of course. It was a general observation. One not made without years of observation.

Some forms of theism don't start from a stance that leads too easily to insecurity. Example (since awitch is in this thread): Pagans don't have a belief that they have the only right view, so the fact that others have a different view is not threatening to their faith.
Cannot say I have had much interaction with pagans in debate and discussion formats. From my experience they tend to side with secularists in discussions anyway.

Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
Hi, just letting you atheist's know that I think debate is pointless. It's just like two bulls in a pen. Pointless.
That very much depends on who is engaged in the debate.
With some people, any kind of discussion seems pretty much impossible because they simply operate under the impression that everybody shares the same foundational premises as they do (such as "the bible is infallible", "god exists and is clearly proven", or - from the other side of the fence - "all religions are detrimental and delusional superstitions").

Upvote 0