Theism and horror movies.

Are you religious, do you like horror movies?

• I'm religious and I like horror movies.

• I'm religious and I don't like horror movies.

• I'm not religious and I like horror movies.

• I'm not religious and I don't like horror movies.

• None of the above.

Results are only viewable after voting.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Upisoft

CEO of a waterfal
Feb 11, 2006
Orbiting the Sun
✟20,777.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm a sci-fi fan, myself -- so I guess that would be more you guys' genre.

What do you mean?
I'm sci-fi fan fan, too. I'm currently trying to write a book, but given the fact that it is futile action to make living from writing in a small country like mine, I'm doing it very slowly.

Some people like to pollute polls by answering randomly to a question without even reading the answers.

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
wait are we counting zombie apocalypse as horror? I guess Im no good at reconizing genre. I blame all the overlap.
I realise zombie films are too 'mainstream' and get scorned by hardcore horror critics (which would otherwise include myself :p), but I like them. It's like being a healthy-eating vegetarian, turning your nose up and showing off about how you only eat the best salads - but in the privacy of your own home you scoff down a greasy, [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]tу KFC. Likewise, zombie movies serve as a sort of guilty, shameless pleasure!

Upvote 0

The Paul

Jun 17, 2011
✟8,077.00
Faith
Atheist
I realise zombie films are too 'mainstream' and get scorned by hardcore horror critics (which would otherwise include myself :p), but I like them. It's like being a healthy-eating vegetarian, turning your nose up and showing off about how you only eat the best salads - but in the privacy of your own home you scoff down a greasy, [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]tу KFC. Likewise, zombie movies serve as a sort of guilty, shameless pleasure!

I think it's more like being a on a diet that restricts your meat intake, and waiting until next week to have a cheeseburger.

Most zombie movies aren't scary because they just aren't meant to be. "Zombieland" basically admits the genre for what it is and embraces it.

On the other hand, "28 Days Later" was, I think, a horror movie about zombies. An effort was made to make the apocalypse disturbing instead of wacky fun, the zombies were threatening, and the characters in the movie were frightened of them.

Upvote 0

Lion Hearted Man

Eternal Newbie
Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
✟11,179.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
I put "none of the above". I don't like movies because they're horror movies, but I like some horror movies because they're good movies. For example, I love 28 Days Later, Alien, the Exorcist, the Shining. But I don't gravitate towards random horror films.

Upvote 0

thaumaturgy

Nov 17, 2006
✟12,333.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
As an atheist I am more capable of ignoring the "potential reality" of a horror movie (esp. the "supernatural") but I am still a primate who can be scared using a set of stimulii.

And part of the fun of a really good scary flick is the "what if...." aspect.

ALSO: I detest horror movies in which the "horror" is "explained".

Take the movie "Poltergeist" as an example. Weird things happen, inexplicable things, but they bring in a psychic and suddenly they've developed an entire "system" in which the father can "go in" and get the little girl back out. The explanation is provided to explain why the supernatural things are happening and "how they work".

I hate that. If it's going to be really scary it should always be a mystery.

One of my favorite "supposedly true" ghost stories is the haunting of the Phelps Mansion in Connecticut ( summary can be found HERE, but it's not as good as what Citro writes in the book "Passing Strange"). Truly creepy, truly weird, with little in the way of a "solid explanation" of the events.

This is also why I loved Paranormal Activity 1. The 'explanation' was minimal enough to not get in the way and everything that happens happens so far from out of left field that you are left just completely in the dark without a compass. No comforting hand-grips to hold onto.

I liked "Blair Witch Project" (the first one) for the same reason.

THAT'S good horror!

(I have a theory that states you have to wait about 5 to 7 years between good horror movies that get released. I hate slasher flicks and I hate stupid horror like that. Ugh. Now I have to wait about another 3 or so years before another good horror movie comes out. Grrrrr.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Naraoia

Apprentice Biologist
Sep 30, 2007
On edge
Visit site
✟15,998.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Non-religious, can't stand horror. If it's actually scary: what's the point of going to the cinema to get nightmares? If it's not: what's the point at all?

Though I have to grant that watching bad horror movies with the right people is great for laughs.

(I have a theory that states you have to wait about 5 to 7 years between good horror movies that get released. I hate slasher flicks and I hate stupid horror like that. Ugh. Now I have to wait about another 3 or so years before another good horror movie comes out. Grrrrr.)
Wouldn't that be like magnetic field reversals? They come at intervals X on average, but there's always hope ;)

@Upisoft: slow writers unite :D Though my stuff is pre-modern fantasy. (Or just "secondary world fiction" depending on your definitions. While I love reading about well thought-out magic, writing it is not my thing.)

Upvote 0

Upisoft

CEO of a waterfal
Feb 11, 2006
Orbiting the Sun
✟20,777.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
@Upisoft: slow writers unite :D Though my stuff is pre-modern fantasy. (Or just "secondary world fiction" depending on your definitions. While I love reading about well thought-out magic, writing it is not my thing.)
My stuff will be more hard core sci-fi with all things we now consider impossible, like FTL etc. And the goal will be sociological exploration of non typical non human society...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Naraoia

Apprentice Biologist
Sep 30, 2007
On edge
Visit site
✟15,998.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Why options 3 and 4 then?
Because one data point is not a correlation :) Options 1 and 2 just tell you the proportion of religious respondents who like horror movies. To find out if being religious is correlated with liking horror, you need to know whether this is higher/lower than the proportion of non-religious people who like horror movies.

Of course, polls like this are rife with non-response bias anyway.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Options 1 and 2 just tell you the proportion of religious respondents who like horror movies.
Um ... option 2 says: I'm religious and I don't like horror movies.

You mean you can't make a fraction out of options 1 & 2 and use that to determine a link between being religious and liking/disliking horror movies?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Correlation means that when you change one variable (here: religiosity), another variable (here: likelihood of liking horror) also changes. You need at least two values of your variables to look for a correlation.
Over-my-head technobabble -- so I'll just bow out.

Upvote 0