looking4joy

Looking for Joy
Jul 30, 2012
✟8,171.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
A while back I supported the notion that the written Word of God was not as important as Jesus himself. A popular verse that sounds like it might support this thought would be something like John 5:39-40.

"You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me; and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life." NASB

And yet the word "Scriptures" is capitalized, and the text of the remaining verses explains that the religious Jews at the time were using the Scriptures for everything except for coming to Jesus. He wasn't belittling the importance of the Scriptures, because God puts His Word before His name. I had it wrong.

I know now that the Word of God is inspired by the Holy Spirit, written as the Scriptures, both Old and New Testaments. No, it's not the ink and the paper that's valuable, but the uttered Word the Holy Spirit inspired which is most valuable.

CGL1023

citizen of heaven
Jul 8, 2011
Roswell NM
✟75,781.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
A while back I supported the notion that the written Word of God was not as important as Jesus himself. A popular verse that sounds like it might support this thought would be something like John 5:39-40.

"You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me; and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life." NASB

And yet the word "Scriptures" is capitalized, and the text of the remaining verses explains that the religious Jews at the time were using the Scriptures for everything except for coming to Jesus. He wasn't belittling the importance of the Scriptures, because God puts His Word before His name. I had it wrong.

I know now that the Word of God is inspired by the Holy Spirit, written as the Scriptures, both Old and New Testaments. No, it's not the ink and the paper that's valuable, but the uttered Word the Holy Spirit inspired which is most valuable.

I am taught to think of Jesus as synonymous with the Word of God. The Word is unchanging and eternal. Ps 138:2 declares "for thou hast magnified(exalted) thy Word above all thy Name".

Upvote 0

jbearnolimits

Pastor
Mar 13, 2014
Mobile, AL
Visit site
✟16,256.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

This makes me ever so happy to see when someone comes to this truth. And indeed there are so many other things to consider that show this to be true. In fact, Jesus Himself called the scriptures the word of God (Mark 7:8-13) and Jesus IS the word made flesh. They are together. He is the personification of the word of God and without the word of God He does not exist.

Upvote 0