✟93,319.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Wrath of God by Arthur W. Pink – Grace Online Library

It is sad indeed to find so many professing Christians who appear to regard the wrath of God as something for which they need to make an apology, or who at least wish there were no such thing. While some who would not go so far as to openly admit that they consider it a blemish on the Divine character, yet they are far from regarding it with delight; they like not to think about it, and they rarely hear it mentioned without a secret resentment rising up in their hearts against it. Even with those who are more sober in their judgment, not a few seem to imagine that there is a severity about the Divine wrath that makes it too terrifying to form a theme for profitable contemplation. Others harbor the delusion that God’s wrath is not consistent with his goodness, and so seek to banish it from their thoughts.

Yes, many there are who turn away from a vision of God’s wrath as though they were called to look upon some blotch in the Divine character or some blot upon the Divine government. But what saith the Scriptures? As we turn to them we find that God has made no attempt to conceal the facts concerning His wrath. He is not ashamed to make it known that vengeance and fury belong unto Him. His own challenge is:

See now that I, even I, am He, and there is no god with Me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal; neither is there any that can deliver out of My hand. For I lift up My hand to heaven, and say, I live forever. If I whet My glittering sword, and Mine hand take hold on judgment, I will render vengeance to Mine enemies, and will reward them that hate Me (Deut 32:39-41).

A study of the concordance will show that there are more references in Scripture to the anger, fury, and wrath of God, than there are to His love and tenderness. Because God is holy, He hates all sin; and because He hates all sin, His anger burns against the sinner (Psa 7:11).

Now the wrath of God is as much a Divine perfection as is His faithfulness, power, or mercy. It must be so, for there is no blemish whatever, not the slightest defect in the character of God; yet there would be if ‘wrath’ were absent from Him! Indifference to sin is a moral blemish, and he who hates it not is a moral leper. How could He who is the Sum of all excellency look with equal satisfaction upon virtue and vice, wisdom and folly? How could He who is infinitely holy disregard sin and refuse to manifest His ‘severity’ (Rom 9:22) toward it? How could He, who delights only in that which is pure and lovely, not loathe and hate that which is impure and vile? The very nature of God makes Hell as real a necessity, as imperatively and eternally requisite, as Heaven is. Not only is there no imperfection in God, but there is no perfection in Him that is less perfect than another.

The wrath of God is His eternal detestation of all unrighteousness. It is the displeasure and indignation of Divine equity against evil. It is the holiness of God stirred into activity against sin. It is the moving cause of that just sentence which he passes upon evildoers. God is angry against sin because it is a rebelling against His authority, a wrong done to His inviolable sovereignty. Insurrectionists against God’s government shall be made to know that God is the Lord. They shall be made to feel how great that Majesty is which they despise, and how dreadful is that threatened wrath which they so little regarded. Not that God’s anger is a malignant and malicious retaliation, inflicting injury for the sake of it, or in return for injury received. No, though God will vindicate His dominion as the Governor of the universe, He will not be vindictive.

That Divine wrath is one of the perfections of God is not only evident from the considerations presented above, but is also clearly established by the express declarations of His own Word. ‘For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven’ (Rom 1: 18). Robert Haldane comments on this verse as follows:

It was revealed when the sentence of death was first pronounced, the earth cursed, and man driven out of the earthly paradise, and afterwards by such examples of punishment as those of the Deluge, and the destruction of the Cities of the Plain by fire from heaven, but especially by the reign of death throughout the world. It was proclaimed in the curse of the law on every transgression, and was intimated in the institution of sacrifice, and in all the services of the Mosaic dispensation. In the eighth chapter of this epistle, the Apostle calls the attention of believers to the fact that the whole creation has become subject to vanity, and groaneth and travaileth together in pain. The same creation which declares that there is a God, and publishes His glory, also proves that He is the Enemy of sin and the Avenger of the crimes of men…But above all, the wrath of God came down to manifest the Divine character, and when that wrath was displayed in His sufferings and death, in a manner more awful than by all the tokens God had before given of His displeasure against sin. Besides this, the future and eternal punishment of the wicked is now declared in terms more solemn and explicit than formerly. Under the new dispensation, there are two revelations given from heaven, one of wrath, the other of grace.

Again, that the wrath of God is a Divine perfection is plainly demonstrated by what we read in Psalm 95:11: ‘Unto whom I sware in My wrath.’ There are two occasions of God’s ‘swearing’: in making promises (Gen 22:16); and in pronouncing judgments (Deut 1:34ff). In the former, He swears in mercy to His children; in the latter, He swears to deprive a wicked generation of its inheritance because of murmuring and unbelief. An oath is for solemn confirmation (Heb 6:16). In Genesis 22:16 God says, ‘By Myself have I sworn.’ In Psalm 89:35 He declares, ‘Once have I sworn by My holiness.’ While in Psalm 95:11 He affirms, ‘I swear in My wrath’ Thus the great Jehovah Himself appeals to His ‘wrath’ as a perfection equal to His ‘holiness’: He swears by the one as much as by the other! Again, as in Christ ‘dwelleth all the fullness of the Godhead bodily’ (sol 2:9), and as all the Divine perfections are illustriously displayed by Him (John 1:18), therefore do we read of ‘the wrath of the Lamb’ (Rev 6:16).

The wrath of God is a perfection of the Divine character upon which we need to frequently meditate. First, that our hearts may be duly impressed by God’s detestation of sin. We are ever prone to regard sin lightly, to gloss over its hideousness, to make excuses for it. But the more we study and ponder God’s abhorrence of sin and His frightful vengeance upon it, the more likely are we to realize its heinousness. Secondly, to beget a true fear in our souls for God: ‘Let us have grace whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear: for our God is a consuming fire’ (Heb 12:28-29). We cannot serve him ‘acceptably’ unless there is due ‘reverence’ for His awful Majesty and ‘godly fear’ of His righteous anger; and these are best promoted by frequently calling to mind that ‘our God is a consuming fire.’ Thirdly, to draw out our souls in fervent praise for our having been delivered from ‘the wrath to come’ ( 1 Thess 1: 10).

Our readiness or our reluctancy to meditate upon the wrath of God becomes a sure test of our hearts’ true attitude toward Him. If we do not truly rejoice in God, for what He is in Himself, and that because of all the perfections which are eternally resident in Him, then how dwelleth the love of God in us? Each of us needs to be most prayerfully on his guard against devising an image of God in our thoughts which is patterned after our own evil inclinations. Of old the Lord complained, ‘Thou thoughtest that I was altogether as thyself (Psa 50:21 ). If we rejoice not ‘at the remembrance of His holiness’ (Psa 97:12), if we rejoice not to know that in a soon-coming Day God will make a most glorious display of His wrath by taking vengeance upon all who now oppose Him, it is proof positive that our hearts are not in subjection to Him, that we are yet in our sins, and that we are on the way to the everlasting burnings.

‘Rejoice, O ye nations [Gentiles] with His people, for He will avenge the blood of His servants, and will render vengeance to his adversaries’ (Deut 32:43). And again we read-

I heard a great voice of much people in heaven, saying, Alleluia; Salvation, and glory, and honor, and power, unto the Lord our God: For true and righteous are His judgments: for He hath judged the great harlot, which did corrupt the earth with her fornication, and hath avenged the blood of His servants at her hand. And again they said, Alleluia (Rev 19:1-3).

Great will be the rejoicing of the saints in that day when the Lord shall vindicate His majesty, exercise His awful dominion, magnify His justice, and overthrow the proud rebels who have dared to defy Him.

‘If thou Lord, shouldest mark [impute] iniquities, O Lord, who shall stand?’ (Psa 130:3). Well may each of us ask this question, for it is written, ‘the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment’ (Psa 1:5). How sorely was Christ’s soul exercised with thoughts of God’s marking the iniquities of His people when they were upon Him! He was ‘amazed and very heavy’ (Mark 14:33). His awful agony, His bloody sweat, His strong cries and supplications (Heb 5:7), His reiterated prayers (‘If it be possible, let this cup pass from Me’), His last dreadful cry (‘My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?’) all manifest what fearful apprehensions He had of what it was for God to ‘mark iniquities.’ Well may poor sinners cry out, ‘Lord, who shall stand,’ when the Son of God Himself so trembled beneath the weight of His wrath! If thou, my reader, hast not ‘fled for refuge’ to Christ, the only Savior, ‘how wilt thou do in the swelling of the Jordan?’ (Jer 12:5).

When I consider how the goodness of God is abused by the greatest part of mankind, I cannot but be of his mind that said, The greatest miracle in the world is God’s patience and bounty to an ungrateful world. If a prince hath an enemy got into one of his towns, he doth not send them in provision, but lays close siege to the place, and doth what he can to starve them. But the great God, that could wink all His enemies into destruction, bears with them, and it at daily cost to maintain them. Well may He command us to bless them that curse us, who Himself does good to the evil and unthankful. But think not, sinners, that you shall escape thus; God’s mill goes slow, but grinds small, the more admirable His patience and bounty now is, the more dreadful and unsupportable will that fury be which ariseth out of His abused goodness. Nothing smoother than the sea, yet when stirred into a tempest, nothing rageth more. Nothing so sweet as the patience and goodness of God, and nothing so terrible as His wrath when it takes fire (William Gurnall,1660).

Then ‘flee,’ my reader, flee to Christ; ‘flee from the wrath to come’ (Matt 3:7) ere it be too late. Do not, we earnestly beseech you, suppose that this message is intended for somebody else. It is to you! Do not be contented by thinking you have already fled to Christ. Make certain! Beg the Lord to search your heart and show you yourself.

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
The Kingdom of His dear Son
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
"A study of the concordance will show that there are more references in Scripture to the anger, fury, and wrath of God, than there are to His love and tenderness. Because God is holy, He hates all sin; and because He hates all sin, His anger burns against the sinner (Psa 7:11)."

The essence of God, our Father, is not wrath: He IS Love!

His wrath is but for a moment producing change & transformation.

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases: EVER!

Upvote 0

ICONO'CLAST

Apr 2, 2005
new york
✟93,319.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"A study of the concordance will show that there are more references in Scripture to the anger, fury, and wrath of God, than there are to His love and tenderness. Because God is holy, He hates all sin; and because He hates all sin, His anger burns against the sinner (Psa 7:11)."

The essence of God, our Father, is not wrath: He IS Love!

His wrath is but for a moment producing change & transformation.

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases: EVER!
I would suggest to you God is essentially Holy.
In Isa. 6 we read HOLY HOLY HOLY.
Not love love love or wrath wrath wrath

The informs me that all Gods perfections are HOLY.
He has a Holy Love, Holy wrath, Holy wisdom, Holy judgment....He is about HOLY PERFECTIONS AND ATTRIBUTES

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I would suggest to you God is essentially Holy.
In Isa. 6 we read HOLY HOLY HOLY.
Not love love love or wrath wrath wrath

The informs me that all Gods perfections are HOLY.
He has a Holy Love, Holy wrath, Holy wisdom, Holy judgment....He is about HOLY PERFECTIONS AND ATTRIBUTES

Yah is indeed holy. His final work of radical adjustment is to produce individuals who are just like him.

The divine equation =

Adam1 = many made sinners.

Last Adam = the identical many made righteous.

Many = many.

Upvote 0

ICONO'CLAST

Apr 2, 2005
new york
✟93,319.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yah is indeed holy. His final work of radical adjustment is to produce individuals who are just like him.

The divine equation =

Adam1 = many made sinners.

Last Adam = the identical many made righteous.

Many = many.

This is completely wrong...let me show you why;

Adam 1 all sinned and died in Adam/ spiritual death, physical death to follow.
All men ever born....in spiritual death.

Last Adam all men in Him by New birth.....Eternal life

Draw a big blue circle on a piece of paper. Inside that circle is all who have sinned and died in adam.

Now, draw a big
red circle inside the first circle, maybe 2/3 the size of the big circle.
That represents All who are in Christ, covered by the blood and spiritually alive by new birth.

All people ever physically born are in the big circle, but God elects out of the big circle ALL He intends to save.

Two different groups....the word all is used

All dead in Adam.spiritual death

All alive in Christ...new birth.

Do you find this helpful?

Reactions: Think...
Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom

At your earliest convenience please notify the apostle Paul this is completely wrong.

Being born anew is the wondrous operation of Yah that brings one into the malista working of salvation.

God is the Saviour of all mankind, malista those who believe.

Note: malista is not monos or monon!

Upvote 0

ICONO'CLAST

Apr 2, 2005
new york
✟93,319.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
At your earliest convenience please notify the apostle Paul this is completely wrong.

Being born anew is the wondrous operation of Yah that brings one into the malista working of salvation.

God is the Saviour of all mankind, malista those who believe.

Note: malista is not monos or monon
Your post was incorrect.
I have offered you a biblical solution

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
lol how to miss basically the same thing being posted. Like saying the Sun is white...no its yellow. Does Christ Jesus or God hear me or should I say Yeshua or Yahweh, YHWH, Adonai, Elohim, Yah. Sorry not to get lost.

Yet this God died for the sin of the world. So this Gods wrath was put on Himself. See were talking about this in a fallen world where none of this is in heaven. We forget Satan is why hell was made never for man. All man has known is sin...its that sin God hates not man. Again that sin God hated He left heaven and died for man took mans place. You talk about wrath yet I think you missed it.

Upvote 0

keras

Writer of studies on Bible prophecy
Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,820.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
THE LORDS WRATH – how will it happen?
This much prophesied, still to come, Lords Day of vengeance and wrath – will happen at the same time as an attack against Israel. Psalms 7:12-16, Psalms 83, Micah 4:11-12 People think there may be a nuclear exchange, but what is more certain is what the prophets say:
Jeremiah 50:25 The Lord opens His armoury and brings forth the weapons of His wrath, for this is His work to be done in the lands of the godless peoples.
Isaiah 34:5 For My sword appears in heaven, it descends in judgement.
Psalm 11:4-6 The Lord is in heaven, raining fiery coals onto the wicked.
Isaiah 66:15-16 See, the Lord is coming in fire, like a whirlwind. He will judge with fire, His sword will test mankind and many will be slain by Him.
Isaiah 33:10-12 Now I shall arise, says the Lord, I will exalt Myself. You will be as chaff and stubble, a wind like fire will consume you. Whole nations will be heaps of white ash, like thorns cut down and set on fire.
Psalm 144:5-6 Lord, part the heavens. Make lightning flashes far and wide.
Isaiah 30:30 Then the Lord will make His voice heard in majesty...descending in fierce anger with devouring flames of fire amid storms and hail.
Jeremiah 30:23-24 See what a scorching wind has gone out from God, a sweeping whirlwind which whirls around the heads of the wicked. The Lords fierce anger is not to be turned aside until He has fully accomplished His purposes. In Days to come you will understand.
Isaiah 29:5-6 Yet, the horde of Your enemies will crumble into dust, fly away like chaff. Suddenly in an instant punishment will come from the Lord, with storms, thunder, earthquakes and great noise and a flame of devouring fire.
Isaiah 9:19 The land is scorched by the Lord, the people are like fuel for the fire.
Isaiah 10:17 The Light of Israel will become a fire, its Holy One a flame, which, in one day will burn up and consume His thorns and briars.
Isaiah 30:26-30 On the Day that the Lord saves His people, the sun will shine with seven times its usual brightness and the moon will be as bright as the sun.
See; the Lord comes from afar, His anger blazing and His doom heavy. His lips are charged with wrath and His tongue is a devouring fire. His breath is like a torrent in spate. He sieves out the nations for destruction.
Isaiah 63:1-6

What these (and many other) prophecies, seem to be describing is sunspot activity.
Maybe the sun is building up to a huge Coronal Mass Ejection, something we do experience with minor CME’s. They happen very suddenly and unexpectedly, reaching earth within hours and are capable of causing enormous damage and deaths worldwide.
All electrical and communications systems, industry, transport; our modern infrastructure could be destroyed, or at least severely damaged. Armies would be back to 1800’s technology.

A CME explosion of the suns surface, as described in Isaiah 30:26a, with the sun flashing 7 times brighter, would be one of unprecedented magnitude and would literally cause all the graphically prophesied effects. For example; the moon would shine bright red as it reflects this sun explosion and our satellites would crash to the earth, like ripe figs falling.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,613.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I don't know about you guys, but the thought of a Calvinist God creating billions of humans souls with the sole intention of burning them in fire for all eternity is starting to look really, really scary to me.

Reactions: FineLinen
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Draw a big blue circle on a piece of paper. Inside that circle is all who have sinned and died in adam.
Now, draw a big red circle inside the first circle, maybe 2/3 the size of the big circle.
That represents All who are in Christ, covered by the blood and spiritually alive by new birth.
All people ever physically born are in the big circle, but God elects out of the big circle ALL He intends to save.
Two different groups....the word all is used
All dead in Adam.spiritual death
All alive in Christ...new birth.

Do you find this helpful?
@FineLinen
1 Corinthians 15:22-23
(22) For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
(23) But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.​
1 Cor 15:22 is a favorite proof text for the supporters of "Universal Reconciliation" UR. In order to make the vs. say what they want it to they have to rearrange the words. Instead of "in Christ shall all be made alive" They have it say, "all shall be made alive in Christ."
As written "As in Adam all die." All mankind is "in Adam" because all mankind are physical descendants of Adam. However, all mankind is not inherently "in Christ" that requires an individual, conscious choice by each person while that person is alive.
Mankind is not made "in Adam" by death and mankind is not made "in Christ" by death.
The next vs. supports that vs. 22 "made alive" vs. 23 "every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming."
Note, it does not say "Christ the first fruits then all mankind". The vs. says "afterward they that are Christ's at His coming" Only those who already belong to Christ when He comes.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't know about you guys, but the thought of a Calvinist God creating billions of humans souls with the sole intention of burning them in fire for all eternity is starting to look really, really scary to me.
If you have a problem take it up with Jesus.
EOB Matthew:25:46 When he will answer them, saying: ‘Amen, I tell you: as much as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ 46 These [ones on the left] will go away into eternal [αἰώνιος/aionios] punishment, [κόλασις/kolasis] but the righteous into eternal [αἰώνιος/aionios] life.”[EOB p. 96]​
…..Greek has been the language of the Eastern Greek Orthodox church since its inception, 2000 years ago +/-. Note, the native Greek speaking Eastern Orthodox Greek scholars, translators of the EOB, translated “aionios,” in Matt 25:46, as “eternal,” NOT “age.”
…..Who is better qualified than the team of native Greek speaking scholars, translators of the Eastern Greek Orthodox Bible [EOB], quoted above and below, to know the correct translation of the Greek in the N.T.?
Link to EOB online:

…..The Greek word “kolasis” occurs only twice in the N.T., 1st occurrence Matt 25:46, above, and 2nd occurrence 1 John 4:18., below.
EOB 1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear, because fear is connected with punishment.[κόλασις/kolasis] But the one who fears is not yet perfect in love.[EOB p. 518]​

In the EOB the Greek word “kolasis” is translated “punishment” in both Matt 25:46 and 1 John 4:18.
…..Some badly informed folks claim “kolasis” really means “prune” or “correction.”
Sorry, that is impossible, both “prune” and “correction” are verbs. “Kolasis” is a noun. One cannot translate a noun as a verb.
Also according to the EOB Greek scholars “kolasis” means “punishment.”
Note: in 1 John 4:18 there is no correction, the one with “kolasis” is not made perfect. Thus “kolasis” does not/cannot mean “correction.”
The word “correction” occurs one time in the NT 2 Timothy 3:16 ἐπανόρθωσις/epanorthosis. It looks nothing like kolasis.
…..It is acknowledged that modern Greek differs from koine Greek but I am confident that the native Greek speaking EOB scholars, supported by 2000 years +/- of uninterrupted Greek scholarship, are competent enough to know the correct translation of obsolete Greek words which may have changed in meaning or are no longer in use and to translate them correctly. Just as scholars today know the meaning of obsolete English words which occur in e.g. the 1611 KJV and can define them correctly.

Reactions: LesSme
Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom

Any God, of whatever persuasion, who would do such a ghastly thing, is NOT the God Yah!

We are lost until found by the Shepherd.

Upvote 0

keras

Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,820.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Any God, of whatever persuasion, who would do such a ghastly thing, is NOT the God Yah!
But He did: the Flood wiped out all the people except Noah and his family.
This time the Lord will use fire and humans will become as scarce as fine gold. Isaiah 13:12-13

What else do you suggest for God to do with His Creation gone bad? As it was in the days of Noah..... Matthew 24:27-30
WE Christians should know about and be prepared for this dramatic change, as those people who stand firm in their faith and call upon His Name, as it all happens; have the great Promises of His Blessings and rewards. Isaiah 66:18b-21

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
For Lutherans this falls under the Law-Gospel dialectic (as basically everything always does for Lutherans). In this case we are talking about the distinction between Deus Absconditus, "The Hidden God" aka God as He is hidden behind the veil of His Law and glory vs Deus Revelatus "The Revealed God" aka God as He reveals Himself in Christ.

When sinful man looks to God hidden as He is behind the veil of His glory and holiness, as we see in the Law, we behold the wrath of God. For the wrath of God is revealed against all unrighteousness. How? Through the Law, for the Law says "Do this" and we don't do it. Thus we are beholding the Law as a mirror in which we behold our own wretchedness and sin; and we cannot help but see God full of wrath, for we stand condemned as guilty under the Law. Which is why St. Paul can say in Romans 7 that the Law, intended for good and which is holy, nevertheless renders one more sinful. The more I try to be righteous by obeying God's commandments, the more sinful I behold myself to be--and in that I can never be justified, for I am continually demonstrated to be a condemned and guilty sinner.

But in Christ we behold God revealed, we behold (to quote Dr. Luther) "the fatherly, friendly face of God", as Christ shows us that God is He who send Him, who sent Christ and through Christ's suffering and death reconciles and atones for the sins of the world. I am therefore justified by God's grace alone, through faith, on Christ's account. For through faith I behold God in Christ; I behold God in His suffering, I behold God in the cross, the God who graciously sheds His blood and whose body is pierced.

For this reason Luther can say that one does not deserve to be called a theologian who speaks of the invisible things of God, such as His power, wisdom, majesty, etc; but rather one deserves to be called a theologian who speaks of God in the suffering, death, and cross of Jesus Christ. It is God, clothed in the humility of the Incarnate Jesus, where we meet God in faith. And here we have the clear, unconditional, and completely free love of the Father who declares us righteous on account of His Son, who gives us righteousness, gives us faith, who gives us pardon and freedom and forgiveness, who gives us sonship and inheritance.

When we see God as angry, we are beholding God hidden by the dark storm cloud, obscured by the Law and therefore see only wrath and judgment against us wretched sinner. Not because the Law is bad, the Law is good and holy--we are the ones who are unrighteous and unholy, and thus the Law shows us for what we truly are: sinners. A condemned criminal standing before the judge in a court looks at the judge as the one who hands out the just compensation for our works, which on account of our guilt we know is condemnation. Such is man beholding God in His wrath against all our ungodliness. Thus it is only through Christ that we find that the righteous judge is a kind and gracious Father, for Christ the Son having been given the authority of judgment has rendered the guilty verdict into a verdict of pardon and righteousness. So that from the cross God declares us righteous on Christ's account, and we forgiven, pardoned, all debts canceled, and even more than this, that we have discovered that we have been adopted as sons and daughters, as heirs with Christ.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

keras

Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,820.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Isaiah 26:20-21 Go, My people, withdraw for a little while, until the Lord’s wrath has passed. The Lord is coming to punish the wicked and apostate peoples of the earth. All sins will be exposed and brought to light. Isaiah 66:15-17

Isaiah 27:1-12 On that Day, the Lord will punish with His powerful sword Leviathan, that twisting serpent. He will kill the monster of the deep.

On that Day, sing of the fruitful vineyard – I the Lord am its keeper. I tend it constantly, but I get no fruit from it. If only it were briars and thorns, then I would not hesitate to destroy it. But if they
[Christian Israelites] come to Me for refuge, I will let them make peace with Me. In a time to come, Jacob’s posterity will prosper and Israel will flourish. They will fill the whole earth with fruit. Galatians 3:26-29

Has the Lord struck Israel, as He killed their enemies? No, the atonement for Jacob’s guilt is made by their sojourn in exile. All the idol worshipping altars and sacred objects will be destroyed.

The fortified cities lie abandoned. Animals graze there and the trees are dead, good only for firewood. For they were a people without understanding, so their Maker will show them no favour.

On that Day, the Lord will thresh the grain from the Euphrates to the Wadi of Egypt and you, My Israelite people, will be gathered one by one. On that Day, a Great Trumpet will sound and those who were exiled in Assyria and Egypt will come to worship the Lord in Jerusalem.

Ref: REB, NIV some verses abridged

The Lord is coming to punish the wicked… and expose all sins’. This event is not to be confused with the Return in glory, where ‘He gathers His elect’, after the Great Tribulation. Matthew 24:31 It will be the fulfilment of: Isaiah 66:15-18a, The Lord is coming in fire…He will test all mankind, for He knows their deeds and thoughts.

And 2 Peter 3:7-12 The present heavens and earth are reserved for burning…kept until the Day when the godless will be destroyed…All the earth will be brought to judgement. He will not be seen on that Day: Psalms 18:11, Psalms 97:1-7, Hab. 3:4, and ‘the wicked will perish’ – Psalm 37:10-20, Hebrews 10:27. He will cleanse all the holy land – Isaiah 9:18-19, Ezekiel 30:1-5 and purge His people of unrighteousness – Ezekiel 20:34-38, Isaiah 1:24-25, 1 Cor.3:11-15

The Lord’s wrath’, the terrible Day of the Lord’s vengeance and wrath. Rev. 6:12-17, Isaiah 13:9-13, Joel 1:15-20, Zephaniah 3:8, 2 Peter 3:7 The Lord’s Day of judgement/punishment against His enemies, who are led by Satan referred to here as a serpent.

The Lord’s fruitful vineyard’, Israel. If they acknowledge and trust God, He will save them. Joel 2:32 Israel- that is of all the 12 tribes, plus those who are grafted in and are judged righteous will be ‘gathered one by one’ and settled into the Land. They will be ‘a light to the nations’ and will send out 144,000 missionaries to proclaim the coming Kingdom of Jesus. Isaiah 66:19, Revelation 7:1-9

The atonement for Jacob’s guilt is made by their time in exile’. The sins of the forefathers are expiated by the long exile of their descendants. Isaiah 10:27, Isaiah 40:1-2

The whole area is abandoned’. All the holy Land is devastated and virtually depopulated after the Day of wrath. Rev. 6:12-17 The trees are burned and killed because of this fire judgement, that will be a CME sunstrike. Isaiah 30:22-28, Malachi 4:1&3 , Psalms 60:2, Isaiah 32:12-14

For they were a people without understanding’. This refers to the current atheistic, apostate and idol worshipping inhabitants of the Land. Isaiah 3:8-9, Jeremiah 12:14, Luke 19:27

The great Trumpet will sound’, All righteous people, who love the Lord, need to be prepared for a time, soon after the Lord’s Day of wrath, for when the Call comes to go to and gather in the Promised Land. Psalms 107, Isaiah 11:11-12, Zechariah 9:14-17

You Israelites will be gathered one by one’. On that Day, all the world will be judged. Only a remnant will be saved in Israel. But then all the faithful Christian exiles from Assyria [the 10 Northern tribes] and Egypt [Judah] will regather in the holy Land. Zechariah 10:8-11
Ref: logostelos.info

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Isaiah 26:20-21 Go, My people, withdraw for a little while, until the Lord’s wrath has passed. The Lord is coming to punish the wicked and apostate peoples of the earth. All sins will be exposed and brought to light. Isaiah 66:15-17

For his anger lasts only a brief moment, and his good favor restores one's life.

The Lord's punishment is Not an end in itself, It leads to change and adjustment at the conclusion.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: YahuahSaves
Upvote 0