provincial
✟759,871.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
How do we reconcile these two verses. First, Jesus states that the world cannot hate you but that it hates Him. John 7:7

Then later on, Jesus says "if the world hates you, know that it hated me before it hated you" John 15:18

Which is it? Can someone explain please?

Reactions: Hidden In Him

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟800,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How do we reconcile these two verses. First, Jesus states that the world cannot hate you but that it hates Him. John 7:7

Then later on, Jesus says "if the world hates you, know that it hated me before it hated you" John 15:18

jesus explains at the time in context: John 7:7... because I testify that its works are evil. The 12 at that time were not testifying that the works of the Pharisee's was evil.

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hey Friend Of!

This one is easy to me (but I can understand why one might be confused).

The first principle is that the world cannot hate you without hating God first, so it is He they actually hate speaking in you and thru you. The second Principle simply builds on this, by saying "[therefore] IF the world hates you, know the reason why, which I have already explained: Know that they hated Me before they hated you, if they do indeed come to hate you."

They kinda go together as saying the same thing, only one is subsequent to the other. :)

Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟366,071.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Matthew 5:10 “Blessed are those who have been persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 “Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Upvote 0

Nathan@work

Always ready :)
Feb 19, 2021
Garfield
✟19,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Different points in time to different people.

When He said it cannot hate you he was speaking to His ‘brothers’. The world could not hate them because they were ‘off’ the world.

The second time is when He was talking to His disciples of things to come. The world would hate them in time because they would not be ‘of’ the world after His death and resurrection.

No conflict at all. :)

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟836,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Yeah that is a funky way of putting things. But rabbis weren't always known as straight shooters. The round about way of getting at the obvious seems to have been the norm.

I think one commonality entails for both passages, i.e. the primacy of Christ. He is the target. We are soldiers at the commanding officer's beck and call. The existential feeling of being a cog in the wheel is ubiquitous, mostly because we think we matter more than most.

Upvote 0

Melody Suttles

SingPeace
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2018
Atlanta
✟79,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The world hated the Lord when He walked the earth (and at least since Mt. Saini).
But when He resurrected, all who believed on him were made new with Christ coming to live in them. Christ in us can make us like him. The world may start hating you because of HOW and WHAT you appear to be. But what they hate is Christ IN you. So it is still the Lord they are hating. They just don't know it.

Reactions: AubreyM
Upvote 0