João Pessoa
✟9,563.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Talk about everything related to the works of Lewis and Tolkien and the adaptations of those works.

Talk about The Chronicles Of Narnia, The Hobbit, The Lord Of The Rings, ETC.

If talking about the New Rings Of Power TV Show make sure to mark if something is spoiler or not.

Make it civil. And please, no politics.

Attachments

• the_real_fellowship_of_the_ring.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 15

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Talk about The Chronicles Of Narnia

Narnia is nice - but many of Lewis's other works have had a massive influence on me.

Have you read

The Great Divorce
Perelandra
Til We Have Faces
The Abolition of Man
The Screwtape Letters
Mere Christianity

They are truly wonderful and deep; a mix of fantasy, theology and philosophy. I would say that Lewis used his imagination and mind the way it was meant to be used.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Trusting in Him

Oct 25, 2021
Devon
✟49,590.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
C.S. Lewis was also a very well respected theologian. In later life he became a Catholic, but His books are well regarded in both Catholic and Protestant circles. His books are considered as worthwhile reading for would be Christian apologists.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
C.S. Lewis was also a very well respected theologian. In later life he became a Catholic, but His books are well regarded in both Catholic and Protestant circles. His books are considered as worthwhile reading for would be Christian apologists.

C.S. Lewis did not consider himself a theologian and he never even seriously considered becoming a Catholic.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Narnia is nice - but many of Lewis's other works have had a massive influence on me.

Have you read

The Great Divorce
Perelandra
Til We Have Faces
The Abolition of Man
The Screwtape Letters
Mere Christianity

They are truly wonderful and deep; a mix of fantasy, theology and philosophy. I would say that Lewis used his imagination and mind the way it was meant to be used.

My good friend Screwtape is once again pleased that Weight of Glory is excluded from the conversation. Especially the essay The Inner Ring which is about people seeking to be one of the insiders. A trend that seems to be gaining speed.

• Informative
Reactions: Petros2015
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Oh! That was what I have read somewhere. Perhaps that is incorrect. if so, I stand corrected, Thank you for pointing that out.

One trait I share with Lewis is remembering things I have read, but not remembering where I read them. My guess is that another trait we share (that we really should share with the vast majority of humanity, but do not) is that we do not hold it against others for sharing a weakness with us.

Still if you can rememebr where you heard it, I think it might be instructive. But I will not hold it against you if you can't remember.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Thank him for including it - it wasn't one I was familiar with. :)

I will do so. He is quite ammused by seeing the frustratoion of the few who have found and read it trying to get others to do the same.

Speaking of Screwtape, there was once a translation into American that completely butchered several key points that Lewis made. If you ever run across a copy that does not mention German soldiers or that replaces tripe (almost always a 'lower class' food) with liver and onions (something that is NOT almost always a 'lower class' food, something very common in very high class resturants) either burn it or use it for side by side comparisons to highlight those points. Come to thinmk about it do the second. It really upsets my friend Screwtape and in the brief moments between being very upset and turning into a centipede or other similar thing he is at his most interesting.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Petros2015
Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It really upsets my friend Screwtape and in the brief moments between being very upset and turning into a centipede or other similar thing he is at his most interesting.

sola dosis facit venenum ;)

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I will do so. He is quite ammused by seeing the frustratoion of the few who have found and read it trying to get others to do the same.

Yes it was definitely very good and worthwhile. I found a transcript online but also did not quite seem to match the youtube audio. Almost exact, but a small piece I wanted to quote had been left out. Might have to hunt around I think maybe minor revisions get made to some of Lewis's things by himself in later editions (and sometimes major ones by others as you noted)

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There's an old (1990) BBC adaptation of some of the other Narnia books; I only ran into this one because Tom Baker was in it, and I grew up with him as the Doctor. Never seen the full series. The BBC was not known for high budgets in the 80's. Doctor Who villains in Baker's day were often hanging pieces of tin foil with flashlights being shown at them

The speech and script though, were still good

"As for me, I shall live like a Narnian... even if there is no Narnia"

Last edited:
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brad D.

A Way Unknown
Aug 22, 2022
US
✟106,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
J.R.R. Tolkien Lord of the Rings

I have often thought of Frodo and Sam in relation to (1 Corinthians 1:26-29) as it relates to the overcomer and the long walk of faith in breaking the powers of hell. Samuel in going to Jesse's house looked at David's brothers and was even Himself impressed. " Surely this is the Lord's anointed." But God takes it right off of the things man esteems and puts it on what seems to be the most preposterous things " so that no flesh should glory in His presence." Surely one would have thought Aragorn would have been chosen. But no, rather the ring was given to a hobbit named Frodo.

Upvote 0