The Works Based Salvation - Whats the big deal?

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
After a person is saved by God's grace through faith, they need holiness and good works (i.e. by the Sanctification of the Spirit). God's works are done through a person and the works are not their own. God gets the glory if we cooperate with God. But nobody today wants to cooperate. They want to do their own thing. Most believe you can sin and still be saved on some level by having a belief on Jesus alone.

Granted, doing good works alone (in and of themselves) does not save either. If a person does not have God's grace, and they are not saved because they need to have their past slate of sin wiped out by seeking forgiveness with the Lord Jesus Christ and in believing in His death and resurrection for salvation. But after one is saved by God's grace, they need to live holy. For the believer who did wonderful works in Christ's name did not make it into God's kingdom because he also worked sin or iniquity (See Matthew 7:23). For without holiness, no man shall see the Lord (Hebrews 12:14). Note: I am talking about reaching a state of "Sinless Perfectionism", but I am talking about overcoming grievous sin (like lying, lusting, hating, etc.).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Where are you located? In my area and everywhere I have been, most churches SAY, " We are not into works based salvation." But ultimately they TEACH works based salvation. Most know that an outright teaching of works for salvation is unbiblical and off putting to most...........so they SAY the right thing( Salvation is FREE) But TEACH the wrong thing ( works based salvation.)

More than likely these folks are getting the words......Grace BUT, Grace and, Grace plus, Grace however, Grace not free, Grace and works.

FREE grace and a solid teaching of the truth of the bible doesn't lead to "annoyance" of other sinners and their faults in their sin nature. But a works message most certainly will.

A LOT of GRACE really helps. From my experience this is what people who have WORKS stressed will do. Stressing works will make people throw up their hands in defeat. HIS GRACE gives victory.

If a person lives out their faith, they are going to do some kind of works. One's works are going to be either good or evil. So the problem is that one is either saved by God's grace + doing sinful works or one is saved by God's grace + good works. The Bible teaches that God's grace teaches us to deny ungodliness and that we should live righteously and godly in this present world (See Titus 2:11-12). For grace reigns (rules) by righteousness (righteous living) (See Romans 5:21).

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Most churches I hang around are not into what they call a works based salvation and generally frown on such an idea. But, to my annoyance....

1. Nobody wants to pray
2. There are no more revivals
3. Hard to find good musicians
4. Hard to organize youth activities
5. Church attendance is sporadic

Some of these folks end up leaving their spouses for greener pastures. And end up being very much unprofitable and uncommitted people. I think at least a little stress of good works is a good thing!
Maybe they are the chafe ad not the wheat. But your also judging them. Maybe they are His sheep and and have not been well fed.

Ezekiel 34:10 Thus says the Lord God: “Behold, I am against the shepherds, and I will require My flock at their hand; I will cause them to cease feeding the sheep, and the shepherds shall feed themselves no more; for I will deliver My flock from their mouths, that they may no longer be food for them.”

John 21:17 He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me?” Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, “Do you love Me?”

And he said to Him, “Lord, You know all things; You know that I love You.”

Jesus said to him, “Feed My sheep.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
QUOTE="rockytopva, post: 74099505, member: 279443"]Most churches I hang around are not into what they call a works based salvation and generally frown on such an idea. But, to my annoyance....

1. Nobody wants to pray
2. There are no more revivals
3. Hard to find good musicians
4. Hard to organize youth activities
5. Church attendance is sporadic

Some of these folks end up leaving their spouses for greener pastures. And end up being very much unprofitable and uncommitted people. I think at least a little stress of good works is a good thing![/QU
OTE
==============================
1. All of God's people pray.
2. We are daily refreshed - God's Lovingkindnesses are new and fresh every morning.
3. Good musicians are usually a sign of something else - not Godliness, not what is right or true.
4. All of God's people pray.
5. All of God's people ARE church ( Ekklesia ) .... daily.....

God's people DO NOT leave their spouses, not even for 'greener pastures'.

God's people are scourged by God and even by each other IF one sins - (starts to be 'unprofitable and uncommitted')

Anyone not scourged, is not a child of God.

Good Works were Appointed BEFORE the world was created, for ALL of God's people.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,147.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works. - Titus 2

Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Sad to say many professing Christians believe you don't get to heaven by doing good works....and they are determined to prove it!!!

Romans 11:5-6
Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace. And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

Upvote 0