Dec 17, 2004
New Zealand
Visit site
✟38,797.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm looking at going to this college in a couple of years time- but the workload is kinda shocking!

There, within 4 years you are expected to take... 32 courses at least?! Thats an awful lot compared to the meager 20 courses expected here! Granted, people shove that in to about 3 years, but thats still on average one less course to take each year, and our degrees only last 3 years, over in America it apparently lasts four!!!

How do you all handle this?! How much leisure time do you get? How much time do you spend on homework?

Beautiful Fireball

Tomorrow is another day
Apr 30, 2006
✟30,245.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Most people take 5 years to finish the four year degree. Finishing in four is not really the norm, at least in my area. Four years is 8 semesters, so if you do 4 classes a semester you will get the 32. So its not really that bad, but pretty much all degree plans will be more then 32 courses.

Last semester I worked full time (50 hrs per week) and still took the 4 courses for that semester. It was alot of work, but I still had some free time and was able to have a social life. It really just depends on whether or not you will have a job (and unless you get a full scholarship, or your parents are paying for the whole thing, you will have a job), your work ethic, what courses you are taking for that semester, and how well you budget your time. Its really not all that scary.

Upvote 0

Windmill

Legend
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2004
New Zealand
Visit site
✟38,797.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Most people take 5 years to finish the four year degree. Finishing in four is not really the norm, at least in my area. Four years is 8 semesters, so if you do 4 classes a semester you will get the 32. So its not really that bad, but pretty much all degree plans will be more then 32 courses.

Last semester I worked full time (50 hrs per week) and still took the 4 courses for that semester. It was alot of work, but I still had some free time and was able to have a social life. It really just depends on whether or not you will have a job (and unless you get a full scholarship, or your parents are paying for the whole thing, you will have a job), your work ethic, what courses you are taking for that semester, and how well you budget your time. Its really not all that scary.
I'm lucky, that the entire thing would actually be a full scholarship for 4 years. Yet, thats exactly why I have to spend only 4 years, for the scholarship ends in 4 years. The scholarship should cover mot things, such as food, accommodation, tuition. It is equivalent to about $50,000 NZ a year.

The only thing it might not cover would be trips back (but, with the amount of money it is, I'd wonder if it even included that) so I might have to get a part time job.

Upvote 0

jasmine88

May 13, 2005
Pennsylvania
✟936.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It really depends on your major and what courses you take. Those who are in engineering or scinent-related fields are in the library most often. I'm a history major and I feel like I have nothing but free time. Last semester I probably spent on average 5 hours a week doing work outside of class (besides exam time of course).

Upvote 0

alfrodull

Senior Veteran
Jul 13, 2007
✟11,571.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Heh. I'm actually an American who will be studying abroad in New Zealand.

My understanding is that while you guys tend to take less classes, and spend less time in class, you are also expected to do a LOT more work outside of class.

I usually have at least one class per semester that only requires me to attend lecture...No homework, no real studying, nothing additional. And this is in one of the top 20 universities in the country. Except during midterms and finals, I never spend more than 40 hours a week on schoolwork, and that's counting time in class and undergraduate research.

Upvote 0

emmzee

Oct 3, 2004
Ontario Canada
Visit site
✟7,930.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Most undergrad programs at universities here in Canada are 4-year programs. It's pretty much expected that students will take 4 courses per semester unless they are working at regular jobs ... two of my semesters I took five courses, but that was a bit much. :) I guess it depends what kind of student you are, how you'd be able to adjust to living in a new country, time management skills, etc. College/university is not at all like high school where the teachers are always reminding you to finish your work etc, many college profs don't care whether you hand in anything or not. (Though the better ones DO actually care about their students!)

Upvote 0

Fed

Veteran
Dec 24, 2004
CA
✟17,841.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Workload pretty much depends on how rigorous your university is, your major, and how much you want to put into your education. I go to probably the toughest uni in the US (people average 5-6 courses per trimester), but even so, if you're smart enough, and pick an easy enough major, you can just get by on the minimum workload. I spend probably 3-4 hours a night on homework, but sometimes more. Social time here is harder to find, but it's all about effort. You can go to a social uni, but you still need to seek out fun stuff.

Upvote 0

Airicon

Jul 24, 2007
NY
✟8,034.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
No homework, no real studying, nothing additional. And this is in one of the top 20 universities in the country. Except during midterms and finals, I never spend more than 40 hours a week on schoolwork, and that's counting time in class and undergraduate research.
Just curious - what's your major, if you don't mind me asking?

Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
Well, you can do what I did. Take APs (or IBs). I am entering in to college with 19 credit hours.

Ok, I confess, I only took a single AP, Biology, and that was before I took my AP biology course in the 12th grade. Luckily, my school had a deal worked our with my college that pretty much states certain grades in certain classes count as taking equivalent classes, say how an A or B in BC Calculus counts as having both Math 106 and 108 (never figured out what happened to 107???).

But if you get your credits out ahead of time, you should be able to easily finish the what ever is required for your major in 4 years.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Beautiful Fireball

Tomorrow is another day
Apr 30, 2006
✟30,245.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Sadly, living in NZ means none of the stuff I do in HS will be credited.

Even if its not credited, it might be worth it just to get an idea of what college level work is like.

None of my AP classes ended up transferring because of the stupid California school system, but I am still grateful I took them for the prep they provided.

Upvote 0