• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

The Word?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by W2L, Jul 17, 2018.

1. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,864
    Christian
    Private
    What do we know about the Word? Im not wanting to know what theologians say about it necessarily. What does scripture say about it? Thank you.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Sam91

Sam91 Child of the Living God Supporter

+7,363
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    Psalms 119 2 timothy 3:15-16

Unless you are talking about Jesus and what John says about Him.

I love the word, it brings us closer to God when spending time reading it to know Him better ratger than to accumulate knowledge.

3. SonOfZion

SonOfZion Member

+25
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Acts 13:26
    Men and brethren, children of the stock of Abraham, and whosoever among you feareth God, to you is The Word of this Salvation sent.

Genesis 15:1
    After these Words (H1697), The Word (H1697) of YHWH came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.

John 8:56
    Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day: and he saw, and was glad.

4. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,864
    Christian
    Private
    Thank you. Im talking about the Word mentioned in the Gospel of John chapter one.

5. Sam91

+7,363
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    I thought so with the Capital.

That He was there in the beginning, that He is and was with God. That He was made manifest on Earth and revealed to us the will of God.

6. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,864
    Christian
    Private
    Thank you.

7. Sam91

+7,363
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    Although I did give a very short answer. I listened to a very lengthy lecture on it so I know it says more than that.

8. dreadnought

dreadnought Lip service isn't really service. Supporter

+3,396
    United States
    United Methodist
    Celibate
    First you have to define the Word. I would define it as those things God and Jesus are quoted as saying in the Bible.

9. SonOfZion

SonOfZion Member

+25
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    What are YESHUA's Parables all About? Matthew 13:13

Psalms 78:1
    Give ear, O My people, to My Torah: incline your ears to The Words of My Mouth.

I will open My Mouth in a parable: I will utter dark sayings of old:

Which we have heard and known, and our fathers have told us.

Matthew 13:34
    All these things spake YESHUA unto the multitude in parables; and without a parable spake He not unto them:

That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying, I will open My Mouth in parables; I will utter things which have been kept secret from the foundation of the world.

YESHUA Taught the Torah in Parables. Hosea 4:6

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  10. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,864
    Christian
    Private
    Im referring to logos.

11. Sam91

+7,363
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    I probably misunderstood Dreadnought but if I did it was an interesting concept.

I assumed he meant that there was more to it. That it refers both to Jesus as He was on Earth but also to His role before... which is nothing new I know. I'm struggling to give a sense. But Jesus being the word, expression of God to His creation. Oh I can't put the completeness into words. Oh well. It doesn't translate from the idea sense into words.

12. Dkh587

Dkh587 David דויד Supporter

+893
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Personally, I believe John is referring to “the word of Yahweh”, the divine being who appeared to abraham, Isaac, Jacob & the prophets.

When you look closer at the “Old Testament”, you see that there is a divine being, sometimes called the angel of Yahweh, Yahweh, God/Elohim, angel of God, the word of Yahweh, amongst other titles, who was appearing and speaking to people.

This is who and what John is talking about. He is telling us that the Word of God was who became flesh and was who we know of as Jesus.

Genesis 15:1
    Abraham SAW “the Word”. That is how Abraham knew who it was when he appeared later with the 2 angels.

1 Samuel 3:21
    The “word of Yahweh” came to Elijah in the cave. Notice that the writer indicates that “the word of Yahweh” is a person

1 Kings 19:9-11
    Here we have the Word of Yahweh, who is Yahweh, telling Elijah to go stand “before Yahweh”

We actually see the trinity in the Old Testament. You just gotta pay close attention.

The Word of Yahweh IS God, yet at times, we see he is also distinct from God

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  13. dreadnought

+3,396
    United States
    United Methodist
    Celibate
    I would think one and the same thing (logos=those times God and Jesus are quoted in the Bible).

14. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,864
    Christian
    Private
    Thank you for your words.

15. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,864
    Christian
    Private
    Thank you for the reply.

16. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,864
    Christian
    Private
    Thank you.

17. dreadnought

+3,396
    United States
    United Methodist
    Celibate
    Keep in mind that as complicated as the Lord is, he is still a living being.

18. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,864
    Christian
    Private
    Yes amen.