The "woman of Canaan" and the "woman of Samaria".

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
From what I understand, 'Samaritan' derives from the word Samaria, which was the capital of the northern state of Israel after the Kingdom of David and Solomon split into two halves after Solomon's death. Samaria and the Northern Kingdom of Israel were in particular plagued by polytheistic idolatry and spiritual infidelity to the Lord. the Northern Prophet Hosea and the symbolism of him marrying a prostitute is a good depiction of this infidelity.
Eventually the tribes that made up Israel were militarily defeated by the Assyrians (Jonah was a northern prophet too, and he was deeply bitter about bringing a message of salvation to the people that a prophet would foretell would be the doom of his people). this led to the dispersal of the ten lost tribes to the far reaches of the world.

This though is only part of the story. Even if the Israeli tribes were dispersed, and lost to history, the fact is that a leaderless hoi polloi of Israelis remained to work the land under their new Assyrian overlords. A serf is a serf, and people to pull the plow and work the land were all part of the spoils of war for the Assyrians.
So yes, the Samaritans were the very same hoi polloi Israelis that were lost to their Judean brother tribes, as they came under the control of new masters. They were the lost tribes who were hiding in plain sight, inhabiting the lands that they always inhabited.
The Judeans of course despised the Samaritans not because they were so foreign, but because they were so familiar. There was even a Samaritan version of the Pentateuch.
So yes, I think that your insight is a historically valid one too. In a very real sense, Samaritans were the lost sheep of Israel, and Jesus uniquely recognized them as such.

At last, someone who understands it as well. :oldthumbsup:

Although most of ten tribes migrated north (where God 'drove' them) many remained as the 'dirt poor' of Samaria. It is noteworthy that the apostles also followed their trail north into Europe and England, to fulfill their commission to "go only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel."

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What followed was the mutual recognition, and celebration, by Jesus and the woman that she was indeed a long lost Israelite, one of many who had heard of Jesus, knew who he was, and possibly expected him.
I think you are mistaken. When were Canaanites or Phoenicians as Mark refers to her, ever Israelites?

Mat 15:22 and lo, a woman, a Canaanitess, from those borders having come forth, did call to him, saying, `Deal kindly with me, Sir--Son of David; my daughter is miserably demonized.'
Mar 7:26 and the woman was a Greek, a Syro-Phenician by nation--and was asking him, that the demon he may cast forth out of her daughter.

She was a Greek, a Hellenis, a Gentile, not a Hellenistic Jew. That is why she said that the little puppies ate the crumbs under the Master's table, the crumbs of His children the Jews.

The Samaritans are whole different story, such as the woman at Jacob's well.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

miknik5

"Let not your heart be troubled"
Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The 'setup' for the narrative is this,

21 "And Jesus went out thence, and withdrew into the parts of Tyre and Sidon.

22 And behold, a Canaanitish woman came out from those borders, and cried, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a demon.

Jesus then waits for the disciples to gather and express their ignorance of what they were doing there in the first place.

23 But he answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us.

Jesus then lowers the boom on them by revealing that those living in that region were Israelites of the past Assyrian captivity, and reiterates his statement that he, and they, were "sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel", and that he was sent to teach and to heal them according to the prophecy.

24 But he answered (the disciples) and said, I was not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel."

What followed was the mutual recognition, and celebration, by Jesus and the woman that she was indeed a long lost Israelite, one of many who had heard of Jesus, knew who he was, and possibly expected him.
She receuved the PROMISE and was counted into THE HOUSE of THE ISRAEL of GOD which is HIS SON

Yet those who were and assumed themselves to be of Israel weren't

Therefore this woman was a true Jew not based on some sort of physical or natural or even a visible distinction

Just as Paul understood a Jew is not a Jew if he is only one outwardly

The Jews who didn't believe were not of Israel

This woman who believed and acknowledged HIM as both Lord and Son of David , crying out to HIM
in her oppression through faith that HE could heal her, received the PROMISE and was counted in THE HOUSE (which through faith in Jesus is not limited to the 12 tribes of Israel

Since HE is a Priest forever in the order of Melchizadek

And what exactly is the work of a priest but to be a minister/mediator between GOD and man restoring and reconciling and bringing back to GOD those who were lost and separated from GOD

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
From what I understand, 'Samaritan' derives from the word Samaria, which was the capital of the northern state of Israel after the Kingdom of David and Solomon split into two halves after Solomon's death. Samaria and the Northern Kingdom of Israel were in particular plagued by polytheistic idolatry and spiritual infidelity to the Lord. the Northern Prophet Hosea and the symbolism of him marrying a prostitute is a good depiction of this infidelity.
Eventually the tribes that made up Israel were militarily defeated by the Assyrians (Jonah was a northern prophet too, and he was deeply bitter about bringing a message of salvation to the people that a prophet would foretell would be the doom of his people). this led to the dispersal of the ten lost tribes to the far reaches of the world.

This though is only part of the story. Even if the Israeli tribes were dispersed, and lost to history, the fact is that a leaderless hoi polloi of Israelis remained to work the land under their new Assyrian overlords. A serf is a serf, and people to pull the plow and work the land were all part of the spoils of war for the Assyrians.
So yes, the Samaritans were the very same hoi polloi Israelis that were lost to their Judean brother tribes, as they came under the control of new masters. They were the lost tribes who were hiding in plain sight, inhabiting the lands that they always inhabited.
The Judeans of course despised the Samaritans not because they were so foreign, but because they were so familiar. There was even a Samaritan version of the Pentateuch.
So yes, I think that your insight is a historically valid one too. In a very real sense, Samaritans were the lost sheep of Israel, and Jesus uniquely recognized them as such.
Solomon's sin led to the 10 tribes being rent...and dispersed (1 kings 11)
And according to the prophet jeremiah, Israel and Judah were adulterous as well
And should have understood and should have been waiting for their husband (the BRIDEGROOM
of THE COVENANT) as well

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: SolomonVII
Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
At last, someone who understands it as well. :oldthumbsup:

Although most of ten tribes migrated north (where God 'drove' them) many remained as the 'dirt poor' of Samaria. It is noteworthy that the apostles also followed their trail north into Europe and England, to fulfill their commission to "go only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel."
Not all who say they are of Israel

Are of

ISRAEL

And a Jew is not a Jew if he is only one outward

JESUS saw what is in all men (and women)

And this Samaritan woman was also waiting for THE MESSIAH

But had no one to teach her

Because the "hoi polloi" weren't feeding the flock

And

The "hoi polloi" didn't recognize their MESSIAH

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The actual passage from Matthew 15 is:

25 The woman came and knelt before him. “Lord, help me!” she said. 26 He replied, “It is not right to take the children’s bread and toss it to the dogs.” 27 “Yes it is, Lord,” she said. “Even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their master’s table.”

I think this was a moment of epiphany for Jesus. He had rebuked the woman with a rather gross racial insult by comparing her and her children to dogs, an unclean animal. Perhaps out of her desperation, she had the courage to actually rebuke Jesus in a respectful manner. I believe this might be the only passage in scripture of someone rebuking Jesus. He suddenly realized that his mission was as much to the Gentiles as to the Jews. He accepted her rebuke graciously and granted her request. There is a powerful message for us in this.

Jesus didn't have any "moments of epiphany" about people.

Immediately Jesus, aware in His spirit that they were reasoning that way within themselves, said to them... --Mark 2

But He knew their thoughts and said to them... -- Luke 11

And knowing their thoughts,... -- Matthew 12

When Jesus saw Nathanael approaching, he said of him, "Here truly is an Israelite in whom there is no deceit." "How do you know me?" Nathanael asked. Jesus answered, "I saw you while you were still under the fig tree before Philip called you." -- John 1

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

There is no scriptural indication that Jesus Himself heeded any demarcation between Jews and Samaritans (beyond noting that other Jews did).

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Samaritans were regarded as heretics by the religious establishment, and gentiles were little more than "dogs".

Jesus never directly challenges those claims (and therefore he's not exactly "politically correct" by today's standards), but he does find a way to transcend the circumstances he encounters.

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus didn't have any "moments of epiphany" about people.

Immediately Jesus, aware in His spirit that they were reasoning that way within themselves, said to them... --Mark 2

But He knew their thoughts and said to them... -- Luke 11

And knowing their thoughts,... -- Matthew 12

When Jesus saw Nathanael approaching, he said of him, "Here truly is an Israelite in whom there is no deceit." "How do you know me?" Nathanael asked. Jesus answered, "I saw you while you were still under the fig tree before Philip called you." -- John 1
And John 2:24 through John 2:25

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Samaritans were regarded as heretics by the religious establishment, and gentiles were little more than "dogs".
Because?

firedragon said:
Jesus never directly challenges those claims (and therefore he's not exactly "politically correct" by today's standards), but he does find a way to transcend the circumstances he encounters.
JESUS came to save
HE did not come to judge....yet

They were considered "dogs" and remained as such in the eyes of their older brothers the Jews which is why they weren't feeding them

And this Canaanite woman who was feeding her children's crumbs to the dogs understood that even the dogs were hungry

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think you are mistaken. When were Canaanites or Phoenicians as Mark refers to her, ever Israelites?

Mat 15:22 and lo, a woman, a Canaanitess, from those borders having come forth, did call to him, saying, `Deal kindly with me, Sir--Son of David; my daughter is miserably demonized.'
Mar 7:26 and the woman was a Greek, a Syro-Phenician by nation--and was asking him, that the demon he may cast forth out of her daughter.

She was a Greek, a Hellenis, a Gentile, not a Hellenistic Jew. That is why she said that the little puppies ate the crumbs under the Master's table, the crumbs of His children the Jews.

The Samaritans are whole different story, such as the woman at Jacob's well.

John Gill's exposition explains this quite well.

Matthew 15:22

And behold a woman of Canaan
That is, of Phoenicia, which was called Canaan; so Shaul, the son of a Canaanitish woman, is, by the Septuagint in ( Exodus 6:15 ) called the son of a Phoenician; and the kings of Canaan are, by the same interpreters in ( Joshua 5:1 ) called kings of Phoenicia: hence this woman is by Mark said to be a Greek, that is, a Gentile, as the Jews used to call all of another nation, and a Syrophenician, being a native of Phoenicia, called Syrophenician; because it bordered upon Syria, and had been formerly a part of it, by conquest: so Cadmus, who is reported to have first brought letters from Phoenicia to Greece, is called F9 a Syrophenician merchant.

(She was) A Syrophoenician by nation;
or extract. The Syriac and Persic versions say she was "of Phoenicia of Syria"; and the latter, by way of explanation, "of Emisa". The Arabic version adds, "her extraction was of Ghaur"; and the Ethiopic version says, she was "the wife of a Syrophoenician man"; (See Gill on Matthew 15:22).

Last edited:
Upvote 0