The Woman Caught in Adultery--WHAT was Jesus Writing?

BelindaP

Senior Contributor
Sep 21, 2006
Indianapolis
✟20,888.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm sure that most are familiar with the story of the woman who was caught in adultery and brought to Jesus for judgment. Just in case you have not, here is the passage from John 8 (KJV).

1Jesus went unto the mount of Olives. 2And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them. 3And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, 4they say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. 5Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou? 6This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not. 7So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. 8And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground. 9And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. 10When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? 11She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

I've heard a lot of hypotheses for what Jesus was writing in this passage, all of them very good. My proposal is that he was writing the words of the Law with regard to adultery, specifically from Leviticus 20 and Deuteronomy 22.

John 7 talks about how Jesus taught in the temple, and the people of Jerusalem were becoming convinced he was the Messiah. The religious leaders would have naturally been sceptical of this. When they found out that he was an uneducated Galilean, they would have become convinced he was a fraud. However, when they sent the temple guards to fetch him, the guards refused to arrest him, because they, too, became convinced he was the Messiah.

So, the leaders devised a plan to show Jesus up. They would arrest a woman in adultery and make it clear to everyone that Jesus didn't know the Law. The Bible does not speak of how they procured this woman, but they had to have done it on short notice, being as it was the very next day. Likely, they grabbed a local prostitute or some other woman of ill-repute.

So, they presented this woman to Jesus with a demand that he judge her. He immediately stooped to write in the dirt, ignoring what they were saying to him. Vexed, they pressed him even harder, demanding that he say something about this. It was all going according to plan. He was demonstrating that he was an ignorant Galilean, as they had suspected.

Jesus rose and told them that the one without sin could cast the first stone and returned to writing. At that point, they looked at the writing and see that it is the very scriptures dealing with how adultery should be handled.

Their sin in dragging the woman before him without her lover and without two witnesses was revealed. The older and wiser ones realized this sooner than the young ones. There was no witness to cast the first stone, and the fact that the entire episode was a conspiracy to entrap Jesus made it an even greater sin. In fact, accusing somebody falsely (i.e., without witnesses) was punishable by the same penalty as would be levied against the defendant.

They knew they had been defeated and they were forced to retreat.

As for the woman, it is known that she was guilty of some sin. Jesus cautioned her to go and sin no more. But, as she was under the Mosaic Law, she was free to go with nobody left to accuse her. Tradition has it that she became a follower of Jesus. Some even say she was Mary Magdalene.

Thoughts?

Cris413

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 20, 2007
Texas
✟56,828.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
It's all guesswork; I'd always thought He was writing peoples' names and sins in the dust, that's why they ran away; I probably heard that from someone else..

I've heard that speculated many times....it's also interesting they left oldest to youngest:

Joh 8:8 And again He stooped down and wrote on the ground.
Joh 8:9 Then those who heard it, being convicted by their conscience, went out one by one, beginning with the oldest even to the last. And Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.

Most who consider it was probably their names and sins... also consider the oldest left first because they were those with the most sins and were convicted more so and more quickly....

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟33,843.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
As Jim said, its all assumption and guesswork. Just because it doesn't specifically mention the witnesses doesn't mean they weren't there. The fact that they said "she was taken in the very act" would seem to imply that there were witnesses present.
Also, the narrator doesn't question the fact that she was taken in adultery, which I would expect if Jesus knew that the charges were trumped up.

In my opinion, there is nothing in the passage which clearly indicates that the woman was not, in fact, guilty of adultery.

Its possible that he could have been writing out the law. Its also possible that he could have been writing out the secret sins of those who were present for the stoning.

Its also possible that he could have been writing something none of us would ever think of.

I would offer a couple of "food for thought" items.
First, if it was really crucial to the story, or important for us to know what Jesus wrote, then we would have been told.
So whatever it was, it is very unlikely to be anything that would significantly change, or affect the meaning and impact of the story.

God knows we like mysteries.. perhaps he left it to tantalize us and get us thinking about the story more.

Secondly, the basic message of the story is that the old mosaic covenant was passing away and being replaced by a new covenant. Under the mosaic covenant that woman would have, and should have been stoned to death. Under the new covenant, she is offered forgiveness.

since I like a mystery as much, maybe more than the next guy, and I like speculating.. here is my speculation...

Perhaps Jesus was writing out one of the prophetic passages that spoke of God delivering Israel from their sins.

Jesus began his ministry by reading aloud a prophetic passage that fortold the day of God's favor, which is the new covenant. There are similar passages that fortell God's future deliverance of Israel from sin.

Perhaps Jesus was again demonstrating the arrival of the the new covenant, and the purpose of his ministry. While at the same time basically telling these scribes and pharisees "you all rely upon this promise of deliverance from your own sins, how then can you deny it to her?"

but again.. guesswork :) (fun though, and worth thinking about)

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟33,843.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I've heard that speculated many times....it's also interesting they left oldest to youngest:

Joh 8:8 And again He stooped down and wrote on the ground.
Joh 8:9 Then those who heard it, being convicted by their conscience, went out one by one, beginning with the oldest even to the last. And Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.

Most who consider it was probably their names and sins... also consider the oldest left first because they were those with the most sins and were convicted more so and more quickly....

That is interesting. I usually consider that the oldest left first because they were the wiser. Youth is usually more hot headed and not as wise.

Another possability is that the older people were probably more cognizant of their own mortality and their own need for forgiveness. As people get closer to death it has a way of making them see consider things that younger people don't think about.

Upvote 0

Cris413

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 20, 2007
Texas
✟56,828.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
That is interesting. I usually consider that the oldest left first because they were the wiser. Youth is usually more hot headed and not as wise.

Another possability is that the older people were probably more cognizant of their own mortality and their own need for forgiveness. As people get closer to death it has a way of making them see consider things that younger people don't think about.

That is a very good point as well....

sometimes though....something my seem reasonable or "right" in our minds...or....as this Scripture points out...according to the Law... but yet we're convicted in our hearts about it...or "conscience" as it were....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟33,843.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Simon or MrJim....do you think it noteworthy the text is tranlated as they "heard" it?

It could mean they actually heard or it....or that they simply were in audience as He wrote...

I assume the "heard" is in reference to when Jesus said "He who is without sin cast the first stone". The sentence construction is a little difficult so its hard to tell what the antecedent of heard is, but I assume its refering to what Jesus said.

Another point for consideration is that there was actually one person there who was without sin, and thus could have cast the first stone. I'm sure people pick that out, but its important. Jesus could have condemned her. He had the right to do so.

Which is why he says "neither do I condemn you." because he ultimately was the one who had the right to condemn her.

This highlights the point that all sin is ultimately against God. As such, He is the one who can forgive and condemn. When God gave the law to Moses, He gave the Israelites the right to punnish for various crimes, essentially on God's authority.
In this story Jesus is making the point that He has taken up that authority. It is he who is the judge.

as an aside, Jesus passes this authority on to his Apostles in John chapter 20. He breathes on them and says "receive the Holy Spirit" then he says "whoever's sins you remitt, they are remitted, and whosoever's sins you retain, they are retained."
That is a powerful passage that most Christian ignore because they don't like the implications of it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cris413

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 20, 2007
Texas
✟56,828.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
I assume the "heard" is in reference to when Jesus said "He who is without sin cast the first stone". The sentence construction is a little difficult so its hard to tell what the antecedent of heard is, but I assume its refering to what Jesus said.

Another point for consideration is that there was actually one person there who was without sin, and thus could have cast the first stone. I'm sure people pick that out, but its important. Jesus could have condemned her. He had the right to do so.

Which is why he says "neither do I condemn you." because he ultimately was the one who had the right to condemn her.

This highlights the point that all sin is ultimately against God. As such, He is the one who can forgive and condemn. When God gave the law to Moses, He gave the Israelites the right to punnish for various crimes, essentially on God's authority.
In this story Jesus is making the point that He has taken up that authority. It is he who is the judge.

thank you....:thumbsup:

as an aside, Jesus passes this authority on to his Apostles in John chapter 20. He breathes on them and says "receive the Holy Spirit" then he says "whoever's sins you remitt, they are remitted, and whosoever's sins you retain, they are retained."
That is a powerful passage that most Christian ignore because they don't like the implications of it.
This would be a good study on it's own...and interesting to discuss....I've never given this much thought.

I've never really "studied" the Gospel of John....it's one of my favorites for reading just to spend time with the Lord....and many things the Lord has spoken to my heart through this Gospel...but this has never really "popped" out at me...

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Life of Trials :)
Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

I agree, especially the bold area. The religious leaders were the moral ones and they were legalistic and very condemning that Jesus was reminding the religious leaders about God's grace. Grace (New Testament) versus Legalism (Old Testament). Romans 4:8 (also Psalms 32:2) "Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord will never count against him". Forgiveness is REALLY hard to do. If its hard to forgive, then it is hard to love another because LOVE forgives. In 1 Corinthians 13:5 says "Love does not act unbecomingly"; which means a Christian should demonstrate godly love and have real Christian credibility.

If we forgive those who sin against us, our heavenly Father will forgive us. But if we refuse to forgive others, our Father will not forgive our sins. Hate what is wrong. Stand on the side of the good. Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other. Live in Harmony with each other.

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟33,843.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
thank you....:thumbsup:

This would be a good study on it's own...and interesting to discuss....I've never given this much thought.

I've never really "studied" the Gospel of John....it's one of my favorites for reading just to spend time with the Lord....and many things the Lord has spoken to my heart through this Gospel...but this has never really "popped" out at me...

The Gospel of John is my favorite. In fact, it might be my favorite book of the entire bible... but thats a hard call.

Upvote 0

Cris413

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 20, 2007
Texas
✟56,828.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
The Gospel of John is my favorite. In fact, it might be my favorite book of the entire bible... but thats a hard call.

Me too....hard call....assuredly John is my favorite "Gospel" though.

I've done in depth studies in Matthew and Mark....Romans is another all time favorite and IMHO...the most comprehensive Book of the NT.

Right now I'm reading through Acts (I just finished John again) and the Psalms....not for study per se....just reading to spend time with the Lord each day.

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟33,843.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Me too....hard call....assuredly John is my favorite "Gospel" though.

I've done in depth studies in Matthew and Mark....Romans is another all time favorite and IMHO...the most comprehensive Book of the NT.

Right now I'm reading through Acts (I just finished John again) and the Psalms....not for study per se....just reading to spend time with the Lord each day.

ooo good call with Romans. I think J.I. Packer said that Romans is the pinnacle of the bible, and chapter 8 is the pinnacle of Romans, or something like that. He wasn't far wrong.
Romans is so full of food for thought (which is also why I like John, its not just narrative, everything in it is so full of meaning and depth).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NorrinRadd

Xian, Biblicist, Fideist, Pneumatic, Antinomian
Sep 2, 2007
Wayne Township, PA, USA
✟8,652.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thoughts?

I think it was most likely one of two things:

-- A written prayer, along the lines of "Father, deliver me from these knuckleheads."

-- The content of what He was writing was totally irrelevant. The fact THAT He bent down and started writing or doodling, rather than paying rapt attention to their disingenuous babbling, was IMO a vivid demonstration of His regard for them.

Upvote 0

Cris413

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 20, 2007
Texas
✟56,828.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
I think it was most likely one of two things:

-- A written prayer, along the lines of "Father, deliver me from these knuckleheads."

-- The content of what He was writing was totally irrelevant. The fact THAT He bent down and started writing or doodling, rather than paying rapt attention to their disingenuous babbling, was IMO a vivid demonstration of His regard for them.

I hope and pray...that Our Lord has more regard for us than that when we take stupid, judgmental and accusatory actions toward others...

...which we ALL do from time to time...

At any given moment any one of us could be just like those of that crowd...

And praise God....He is full of grace and mercy...and I do believe God pays attention....rapt attention to the condition of our hearts....at ALL times.

Upvote 0

Webers_Home

May 1, 2009
Oregon
✟1,454.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
†. John 8:6-9 . . Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "He among you without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her." Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground. At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there.

I see nothing in that passage to indicate that Jesus' opponents either read, or even glanced at, what he was scribbling on the ground. In point of fact, they were too busy harassing him to read anything he might have written.

Personally, I think The Lord was just doodling; and it was his way of ignoring them and tuning them out like a boring chatterbox seated next to you aboard a crowded airliner bound from L.A. to Chicago. And when they failed to take the hint, he finally stood up and got in their face. No, those who heard melted away, rather than those who saw any meaning in his earthen graphics.

Jesus' remark: "He among you without sin" suggests to me that he didn't mean just any sin, but rather, a sin worthy of the death penalty— especially a sexual sin, in point of fact, the very same sin: adultery.

In the Jewish culture of Christ's day, men were lenient with each other's sexual escapades, but severe and intolerant of women's. Even today, in sexually liberated America, it's common to call a promiscuous woman a harlot; but to call a promiscuous man nothing of the kind. He's a stud; while she's a pig. That's just not fair.

C.L.I.F.F.
/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Webers_Home

May 1, 2009
Oregon
✟1,454.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
†. John 8:10-11 . . Jesus said to her: Woman, where are they? Does no one condemn you? And she said: No one, sir. And Jesus said: Neither do I condemn you

Well, of course! Not only didn't Jesus condemn her, but he couldn't condemn her, because as someone already pointed out, no one can be put to death in the jurisdiction of Moses' covenanted law sans the testimony of a bare-bones minimum of at least two witnesses.

†. Deut 17:6-7 . . At the mouth of two witnesses, or three witnesses, shall he that is worthy of death be put to death; but at the mouth of one witness he shall not be put to death. The hands of the witnesses shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterward the hands of all the people. So thou shalt put the evil away from among you.

Since Jesus was only one man, and not even a valid witness to the alleged crime, then hey! instant acquittal; case dismissed.

†. John 8:11 . . go your way; and from now on, sin no more.

As God's ambassador, The Lord would tell that to anybody, not just to that particular woman.

To Cain:

†. Gen 4:7 . . If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it.

And to his own:

†. Rom 6:1-2 . . Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? God forbid!

†. 1John 2:1 . . My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not.

This incident in John 8 is very handy for demonstrating that the Bible's Christ is fair; and not swayed by gender bias.

†. Ps 45:6 . .Your throne, O God, will last for ever and ever; a scepter of equity will be the scepter of your kingdom.

Webster's defines equity as: free from bias or favoritism

†. Isa 9:7 . . Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever.

A pretty good off-the-cuff definition of justice is: the application of law without passion or prejudice.

C.L.I.F.F.
/

Last edited:
Upvote 0