Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. 2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

14And we urge you, brothers, to admonish the unruly, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, and be patient with everyone.15Make sure that no one repays evil for evil. Always pursue what is good for one another and for all people.16Rejoice at all times. 17Pray without ceasing. 18Give thanks in every circumstance, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

Romans 12:2 1 Thess 5:14-18

A.ModerateOne

Supporter
Sep 24, 2018
Florida
✟33,541.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. 2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

14And we urge you, brothers, to admonish the unruly, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, and be patient with everyone.15Make sure that no one repays evil for evil. Always pursue what is good for one another and for all people.16Rejoice at all times. 17Pray without ceasing. 18Give thanks in every circumstance, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

Romans 12:2 1 Thess 5:14-18

Agallagher, I wish to comment on the first verse in your quote. Myself, I can easily be emotional and sensitive, so I try to guard against it for my own sake. That phrase "spiritual worship" is found in many translations; but the Greek word it translates is logikos which is in the etymology of our English word "logic", so when I try applying this passage to myself, I think along the lines of these two translations:

"Then I exhort you, brethren, by the compassions of God, to present your bodies living sacrifices, holy, well-pleasing to God, the rational service of yours." (Rom 12:1 ABPen)

"Therefore, my friends, I implore you by God’s mercy to offer your very selves to him: a living sacrifice, dedicated and fit for his acceptance, the worship offered by mind and heart." (Rom 12:1 REB)

Since this speaks to my very self, my body and soul, I feel I need to apply this to my daily life 24/7, not just in the congregation.... not that I succeed, but I believe that is to be my goal.

Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Agallagher, I wish to comment on the first verse in your quote. Myself, I can easily be emotional and sensitive, so I try to guard against it for my own sake. That phrase "spiritual worship" is found in many translations; but the Greek word it translates is logikos which is in the etymology of our English word "logic", so when I try applying this passage to myself, I think along the lines of these two translations:

"Then I exhort you, brethren, by the compassions of God, to present your bodies living sacrifices, holy, well-pleasing to God, the rational service of yours." (Rom 12:1 ABPen)

"Therefore, my friends, I implore you by God’s mercy to offer your very selves to him: a living sacrifice, dedicated and fit for his acceptance, the worship offered by mind and heart." (Rom 12:1 REB)

Since this speaks to my very self, my body and soul, I feel I need to apply this to my daily life 24/7, not just in the congregation.... not that I succeed, but I believe that is to be my goal.

Hi A.moderateone. Sometimes even myself can be emotional and sensitive too. At least you are honest about that. What do you think about the verse when it does mention about the rational service of serving God out of Love, that we to try to rationally live in service from him while we live and walk in the spirit?

I agree with that me too am not perfect at it, all that is known to do is write scripture and read them in morning, afternoon where we feel spiritually weak you are able to find strength to keep going.

did you have a question?

Thank you hislegacy, forgot about this post. You helped remind me.

Upvote 0