KrimsonDraegon

Jan 17, 2005
Earth
✟9,196.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The true problem with Christians, and I being one of them, is that we have a whole "Holier-than-thou" attitude going on. While everyone sits on this forum and argues over racisim, gay-marriage, and what the Bible really means there are those out there who have figured out that we cannot sit on a high horse and preach all day to ears that do not listen; and why don't they listen? Because they have grown tired of hearing the same old thing over and over. "You are going to Hell if you do not worship God.", "Eternal rewards and happiness await you in Heaven.", etc. "But I do not say these things!" we scream in retaliation. How many times have we looked on a vagrant and thought that they are a drain on the economy? How many times have we seen a youngster all in black with painted white face, pierced eyelids, lips, and a mohawk and think "His parents out to be thrown in jail for not dragging him to church."? How do we know this is not a Christian? How do you know the vagrant isn't someone who really cannot get back on their feet because of a debilitating medical condition, undereducation, etc.? How many times have you tried to reach out and touch one of these people? The problems are not in Africa, Russia, China, or Vietnam; they are all around us! They are out side your house on the street! They are in our churchs! They may even be in your own home! "But I have donated to the Salvation Army for these people!" you cry. Why do you wait for someone else to do it? Why not, the next time we see a vagrant on the laying in the street, go up to them and ask them how they are? You don't even have to give them money; merely sympathize with them, but do not pity them. Help them to stand again. Why not stop judging people because of their dress, because of their actions. Better yet! Why not stop judging period? Are we really so frightened to make contact with the world? Why DO we leave it for others? Why do we hide behind our computer screens? in our churchs? in our "Christ-filled" life. Some of you may say "What minister do you study under?" Some of you may know me from another site(s). If you do, then you probably know I do not attend Church. Church is not a refuge, church is not even a place for the true Christians anymore. Christians need fellowship, and our Minister should be Christ Himself. We should study His actions. When did He ever see a person and say "Let's not go near him, he looks drunk."? If you are worried about your safety then I assure you that Christ will protect you. Read this, meditate on it, think carefully before replying to this message if you choose to reply at all or your words may show you for who you really are. God love and bless you.

White Rabbit

God forgives, and I forgive.
May 25, 2004
✟8,387.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
krimsondraegon said:
The true problem with Christians, and I being one of them, is that we have a whole "Holier-than-thou" attitude going on. While everyone sits on this forum and argues over racisim, gay-marriage, and what the Bible really means there are those out there who have figured out that we cannot sit on a high horse and preach all day to ears that do not listen; and why don't they listen? Because they have grown tired of hearing the same old thing over and over. "You are going to Hell if you do not worship God.", "Eternal rewards and happiness await you in Heaven.", etc. "But I do not say these things!" we scream in retaliation. How many times have we looked on a vagrant and thought that they are a drain on the economy? How many times have we seen a youngster all in black with painted white face, pierced eyelids, lips, and a mohawk and think "His parents out to be thrown in jail for not dragging him to church."? How do we know this is not a Christian? How do you know the vagrant isn't someone who really cannot get back on their feet because of a debilitating medical condition, undereducation, etc.? How many times have you tried to reach out and touch one of these people? The problems are not in Africa, Russia, China, or Vietnam; they are all around us! They are out side your house on the street! They are in our churchs! They may even be in your own home! "But I have donated to the Salvation Army for these people!" you cry. Why do you wait for someone else to do it? Why not, the next time we see a vagrant on the laying in the street, go up to them and ask them how they are? You don't even have to give them money; merely sympathize with them, but do not pity them. Help them to stand again. Why not stop judging people because of their dress, because of their actions. Better yet! Why not stop judging period? Are we really so frightened to make contact with the world? Why DO we leave it for others? Why do we hide behind our computer screens? in our churchs? in our "Christ-filled" life. Some of you may say "What minister do you study under?" Some of you may know me from another site(s). If you do, then you probably know I do not attend Church. Church is not a refuge, church is not even a place for the true Christians anymore. Christians need fellowship, and our Minister should be Christ Himself. We should study His actions. When did He ever see a person and say "Let's not go near him, he looks drunk."? If you are worried about your safety then I assure you that Christ will protect you. Read this, meditate on it, think carefully before replying to this message if you choose to reply at all or your words may show you for who you really are. God love and bless you.

You shouldn't generalize all christianslike that because some might not be like that at all.

Upvote 0

Trizm

Oct 31, 2004
Los Angeles
✟518.00
Faith
Christian
I understand what you are saying and what you say is clear in some christians but definitely not all. Yes it does get on my nerves when a fellow christian has a "holier-than-thou attitude. Well i guess it is up to other fellow christians to try to help and teach our brothers a better attitude.

Upvote 0

mlove

Jan 24, 2005
✟7,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I can see your point, but not all Christians are like that. Those who have that attitude should remember Jesus' humility and kindness. He ate with the tax collectors because He knew they are the people who need Him the most. All the advice I have is that we all need to be examples to others. We shouldn't be scaring away non-believers by being excessively preachy and claiming to do no wrong.

Upvote 0

hebrew33

Feb 27, 2004
Redwoods
✟335.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
gord96 said:
your right in what you say.....the holier than thou attitude is nothing but pride....C.S. Lewis called pride the "Great Sin".....we are all sinners, believers and non-believers.....humility is what we should show the world

I totally and humbly agree!

Upvote 0

ClementofRome

Spelunking the most ancient caves of Xianity
May 27, 2004
✟5,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
krimson,

I personally know hundreds of Christians and as I sat here reflecting on your initial comments, I can truly say that your accusation applies to only one person that I know. To me this says that you have not honestly evaluated those whom you categorize. I am not casting stones, but with utmost humility, am suggesting that you not take on a "holier-than-thou" attitude toward the church or other Christians. Yes, we are all fallen. Yes, the church has screwed up royally in the past and will continue to do so in the future. I will continue to sin....and I am sorry about that. If you are looking for the perfect church.....you will not find it. My church has a large banner out front that says, "An Imperfect Church Filled With Imperfect People, Preparing for Perfection!"

Seek and ye shall find....but you will not find your ideal in any person or church.

Blessings
C of R

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
ClementofRome said:
My church has a large banner out front that says, "An Imperfect Church Filled With Imperfect People, Preparing for Perfection!"
I like that!

My church also has a banner and it reads: God isn't looking for sinless, good guys, He's looking for people that will believe Him

Seek and ye shall find....but you will not find your ideal in any person or church.
Very true!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KrimsonDraegon

Jan 17, 2005
Earth
✟9,196.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
ClementofRomeIf you will read my original post closely you will notice I put "we," thus I am recognizing that I am not holier than thou. I am as sinful, and imperfect as all Christians. There are none righteous, no not one.

hebrew33

The only ones who truly know if you are there are you, and God. ;)

Upvote 0

ClementofRome

Spelunking the most ancient caves of Xianity
May 27, 2004
✟5,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
krimsondraegon said:
ClementofRomeIf you will read my original post closely you will notice I put "we," thus I am recognizing that I am not holier than thou. I am as sinful, and imperfect as all Christians. There are none righteous, no not one.

hebrew33

The only ones who truly know if you are there are you, and God. ;)

Point well taken. Forgive me. However, my assertion still stands that over my lifetime I have personally met very few Christians that are to be found guilty of your accusations. I have heard of plenty, esp. within certain "sects" of Christinaity (and yes they are sects), but have personally met few (well with the exception of a handful here on CF :)).

Blessings to you.

Upvote 0

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
krimsondraegon said:

you aren't the only one that feels as you do, trust me, there are many others.

i agree with the fact that it is pointless to give our pearls to swine and even then, we should still show love. people walked away from Jesus not believeing, what makes us any different?

your right too on how Christians judge on appearance first. but i don't think that's a problem with Christianity, that's a problem with humanity. people seem to worry more about theology on certain issues instead of really being Christ-like anymore. i'm guilty of it myself in my past, and i'm thankful God is doing a work in me with this issue. i'm probably the most skeptical i've ever been in my faith about issues, but i know that Jesus Christ is the Way, the Truth and the Life.

i think we need to redirect things with sharing the Gospel. we need to give people a reason to seek Christianity out, instead of just giving them the same stuff they have already rejected. we can do it and not compromise our faith. i think we need to look at the culture today and address their needs, instead of what we think they need. of course they need Jesus, but to make a disciple of anything that means it is going to take time. it's going to take tolerance, understanding, love and grace, but yet still standing on the truth. it's going to take us to be open minded, open ears, listen to what they have to say, maybe they can help us out in this process, and it will be a spiritual journey together as friends. it isn't about alter calls. it isn't about being convinced of something that requires faith to believe in. it's about giving people reason today to come to Jesus Christ. a reason that they haven't rejected or turned a hard heart from. it's about showing that Christ's life is salvation.

yes i could go on and on, and i think we need to discuss what is the answer, more than our complaints of the modern church. trust me, hehe, i could go on and on with complaints of the modern church. i'm a positive pessimist with the church. but complaining does no one any good. let's discuss the solution :)

Upvote 0

KrimsonDraegon

Jan 17, 2005
Earth
✟9,196.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
tattedsaint,

Read this, meditate on it, think carefully before replying to this message if you choose to reply at all or your words may show you for who you really are.

Wow. That reply was exactly what I was talking about when I wrote the above quote. Your reply was extremely well thought out and executed. It left little room for arguement. I know I can find none.

I agree that we should discuss the solutions.

I hope to see more of your replies on my other topics, current and future.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

KrimsonDraegon

Jan 17, 2005
Earth
✟9,196.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
<-- is the original thread poster.

Lol @ the lightpost analogy.

One other thing I thought was funny, but some people might not take me seriously. In my first year of Christian Schooling they would scare us into doing "God's will." They would say "If you don't go out and hound people to come to our church than you are no follow of God, and if you do not yield enough followers for God, He may choose to bring you home early."

I realize now I should have stood up and and slapped the hell outta someone.

My I was dumb.

Upvote 0

VioletAngel

God bless!
Feb 5, 2005
California
✟15,809.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sounds as if the original poster has a calling...and should encourage his fellow Christians in his church to do this kind of thing. Instead of criticizing what we should not do, we should encourage people to do as they should, according to Scripture - I always say. Good post.

Upvote 0

Dicy mind

Unless the Lord leads
Dec 7, 2004
Helsinki
Visit site
✟15,847.00
Faith
Christian
Maybe the problem is that many consider God as a strict judge who doesn't let you in to heaven if you have mud on your sole.

Obiviously I don't know what kind of judge God is... But I fail to see why there is so much judgin when every one should know that no one except God has right to judge.

Remember that kindom of heaven is for the child minded.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.