Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Paul said you can deny God by a lack of works (Titus 1:16).
Paul said not to be deceived that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God and then he lists various sins as a part of that such as murder, hate, adultery, fornication, drunkenness, idolatry, etc. (See: Galatians 5:19-21).

Repent means to seek forgiveness with the Lord, but it is always followed by the fruits of repentance (Such a good deeds, holy living, and putting away mortal sin).
Paul does in fact list lots of sins and say "those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God." But this is not the typical moralistic claim that to be saved you have obey the law. If read the whole section, you will see that Paul understands that the old man and the new man coexist. He is contrasting works of the flesh with works of the spirit, not giving a checklist for getting in heaven.

Incidentally, if this is actually the requirements for salvation, we're all in trouble. If you look at the whole list, I think you'll see that it has something for everyone. It's unlikely that there's anyone who doesn't do at least one of these things regularly.

Upvote 0

George Antonios

Aug 25, 2020
Quebec
✟15,255.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul said you can deny God by a lack of works (Titus 1:16).
Paul said not to be deceived that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God and then he lists various sins as a part of that such as murder, hate, adultery, fornication, drunkenness, idolatry, etc. (See: Galatians 5:19-21).

Repent means to seek forgiveness with the Lord, but it is always followed by the fruits of repentance (Such a good deeds, holy living, and putting away mortal sin).

Inheriting the kingdom of God is not entering the kingdom of God.
A believer can lose his inheritance, yes, not his salvation.
You're reading "shall not inherit" as "shall not be saved".
Things different are not equal.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Repenting from sins is not a condition to receive Gods free gift of Eternal Life.

The single condition given (to receive eternal life) is to believe that Jesus is the promised Messiah from the prophecies of The Tanakh and trust in the Messiah for Eternal Life.

That is it believe it or not, but you will live throughout eternity with what, your object of faith is. Is it actions
you do or is it The promised Messiah.

You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.

God made receiving eternal life a simple act of faith.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Sorry I meant where is hell described in 1Corinthians 15?
I understood what you meant. It isn't. The fact that Hell isn't described in Philemon is no surprise. Philemon doesn't say anything where it would be relevant. But 1 Cor 15 gives a description of judgement, and it doesn't include hell. I think that fact is significant. What its significance is can't be discussed in this forum under the rules.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I think that's unlikely. See Mark 10:17 and parallels, Mat 25:34, Luke 10:25 (the list is from James Dunn's commentary on Galatians).

It's obvious from the larger context that Paul realizes Christians aren't perfect, but I don't think your suggestion is the right resolution to that problem.

One thing to note is that inheritance is future. That's how the language is used in other places. When we finally come into God's kingdom, there will be no sin there. But that doesn't mean there's none now. See 1 Cor 3:12 for Paul's explanation of how we are purified.

In Jesus' teaching, the Kingdom is both present and future, but I think the inheritance discussed here in and Mark 10:17 is future. Mark 10:17 uses the same language, and is pretty clearly talking about final entry into the Kingdom -- salvation in your terms. That doesn't let us off the hook for our present behavior, of course. If we want to be part of that perfect future kingdom we should prepare for it now, as Jesus makes clear in Mark 10:19 ff.

For Jesus, the present kingdom is really the partial presence of the final kingdom. Paul makes the same point, though in different language. Kingdom behavior is the fruit of the Spirit. The remaining anti-Kingdom behavior comes from the "flesh." Dunn [op cit] points out that what Jesus refers to as the present Kingdom "has been replaced in the letters of Paul by talk either of Christ’s resurrection, or of the Spirit, or both (see on 1:1 and 3:2). In particular, it is important, not least in this context, to appreciate that for Paul the gift of the Spirit to the believer is the beginning of the inheritance of the kingdom, the first instalment and guarantee, the beginning of the process which will climax in the kingdom harvest of the resurrection (Rom. 8:14–17; 1 Cor. 6:9–11; Gal. 4:6–7; also Eph. 1:13–14; Tit. 3:6–7)." Jesus has precisely the same idea, but refers to it as the present Kingdom.

Paul isn't saying quite "if you do any of these things you're damned." Rather, he's saying "these things are inconsistent with the Kingdom you are preparing for." Of course if we simply blow off Kingdom ethics, there's a danger that we're not actually headed for the Kingdom. That's a pretty clear implication of Paul's warning.

The other big sin list in Paul is 1 Cor 6:9. It uses the same language, and I'd the same things are true about it. The context of the list in 1 Tim 1:9 ff is different. It is talking about the use of the law in restraining non-Christians. The list is things that the law is used to restrain. Of course those things are contrary to the Gospel, as it notes. But that passage isn't about salvation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

5thKingdom

Mar 23, 2015
✟35,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is repentance necessary for salvation?

(1) Yes, repentance is necessary "fruit" for saved men:

Rom 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
Rom 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Mar 6:11 And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear you, when ye depart thence, shake off the dust under your feet for a testimony against them. Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city. 12 And they went out, and preached that men should repent.

(2) However, the Bible teaches that (true) repentance is always
the RESULT of regeneration and never the CAUSE.

Upvote 0

George Antonios

Aug 25, 2020
Quebec
✟15,255.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think that's unlikely. See Mark 10:17 and parallels, Mat 25:34, Luke 10:25 (the list is from James Dunn's commentary on Galatians).

It's obvious from the larger context that Paul realizes Christians aren't perfect, but I don't think your suggestion is the right resolution to that problem.

One thing to note is that inheritance is future. That's how the language is used in other places. When we finally come into God's kingdom, there will be no sin there. But that doesn't mean there's none now. See 1 Cor 3:12 for Paul's explanation of how we are purified.

In Jesus' teaching, the Kingdom is both present and future, but I think the inheritance discussed here in and Mark 10:17 is future. Mark 10:17 uses the same language, and is pretty clearly talking about final entry into the Kingdom -- salvation in your terms. That doesn't let us off the hook for our present behavior, of course. If we want to be part of that perfect future kingdom we should prepare for it now, as Jesus makes clear in Mark 10:19 ff.

For Jesus, the present kingdom is really the partial presence of the final kingdom. Paul makes the same point, though in different language. Kingdom behavior is the fruit of the Spirit. The remaining anti-Kingdom behavior comes from the "flesh." Dunn [op cit] points out that what Jesus refers to as the present Kingdom "has been replaced in the letters of Paul by talk either of Christ’s resurrection, or of the Spirit, or both (see on 1:1 and 3:2). In particular, it is important, not least in this context, to appreciate that for Paul the gift of the Spirit to the believer is the beginning of the inheritance of the kingdom, the first instalment and guarantee, the beginning of the process which will climax in the kingdom harvest of the resurrection (Rom. 8:14–17; 1 Cor. 6:9–11; Gal. 4:6–7; also Eph. 1:13–14; Tit. 3:6–7)." Jesus has precisely the same idea, but refers to it as the present Kingdom.

Paul isn't saying quite "if you do any of these things you're damned." Rather, he's saying "these things are inconsistent with the Kingdom you are preparing for." Of course if we simply blow off Kingdom ethics, there's a danger that we're not actually headed for the Kingdom. That's a pretty clear implication of Paul's warning.

The other big sin list in Paul is 1 Cor 6:9. It uses the same language, and I'd the same things are true about it. The context of the list in 1 Tim 1:9 ff is different. It is talking about the use of the law in restraining non-Christians. The list is things that the law is used to restrain. Of course those things are contrary to the Gospel, as it notes. But that passage isn't about salvation.

There are 2 aspects to the kingdom of God, once spiritual and one physical (kingdom of heaven) and there are 2 inheritances, one which is by grace and cannot be lost, and one which depends on faithfulness and service and can be lost.
Any discussion that doesn't deal with those distinctions cannot lead to a true interpretation.
Appealing to the gospels is tricky because the gospels mostly deal with Old Testament conditions for entering the physical kingdom - hence the gospel of the kingdom not Paul's gospel of the grace of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

George Antonios

Aug 25, 2020
Quebec
✟15,255.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
(1) Yes, repentance is necessary "fruit" for saved men:

Rom 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
Rom 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Mar 6:11 And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear you, when ye depart thence, shake off the dust under your feet for a testimony against them. Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city. 12 And they went out, and preached that men should repent.

(2) However, the Bible teaches that (true) repentance is always
the RESULT of regeneration and never the CAUSE.

Again, it depends on the dispensation you're quoting from.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟887,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Is repentance necessary for salvation?

Many preachers define it as meaning “quitting sin”. As such, those preachers fall into 2 groups:
  • Some preachers say that’s necessary for salvation and needs to be preached.
  • Some preachers say that it’s not necessary for salvation and needs not to be preached.
But both groups agree that it always means “quitting sin”. They’re both wrong about that.

In fact, the expression “repent of sin/s” never occurs one time in the Bible.

But then there’s another and smaller set of preachers who say that it never means “quitting sin”.

They’re wrong also.
  • Sometimes repentance does mean “quitting sin”, and sometimes repentance does not mean “quitting sin”.
  • Sometimes “quitting sin” is necessary for salvation, and sometimes quitting sin is not necessary for salvation.
So is repentance from sins necessary for salvation?

The answer depends on two things:

1) What dispensation/age the preaching of repentance occurs in

2) How repentance is defined : whether as a change of heart or a change of works.

The following video is a rare comprehensive study. Enjoy and may the Lord bless it:

“and they did not repent of their murders nor of their sorceries nor of their immorality nor of their thefts.”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭9:21‬ ‭NASB‬‬

Upvote 0

George Antonios

Aug 25, 2020
Quebec
✟15,255.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“and they did not repent of their murders nor of their sorceries nor of their immorality nor of their thefts.”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭9:21‬ ‭NASB‬‬

It's Rev 9:21 Neither repented they of their murders, nor of their sorceries, nor of their fornication, nor of their thefts.

But what's your point?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Paul does in fact list lots of sins and say "those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God." But this is not the typical moralistic claim that to be saved you have obey the law. If read the whole section, you will see that Paul understands that the old man and the new man coexist. He is contrasting works of the flesh with works of the spirit, not giving a checklist for getting in heaven.

This is clearly false. Paul says that they which do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. It means what it says plainly. He lists various sins and if we are doing such things, we will not inherit the Kingdom of God. It's that simple.

Galatians 5:19-21 says,
“Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these ; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.”

There is nowhere in Galatians that says that we live in both the old man and the new man at the same time. If you believe otherwise, then quote the passage. “Inherit the kingdom” is the same phrase mentioned by Jesus in Matthew 25:34 implying one is entering God's kingdom because it is contrasted with Christ telling those to depart from Him into everlasting fire (Matthew 25:41).

Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:” (Matthew 25:34).

“Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:” (Matthew 25:41).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

See post #34.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Incidentally, if this is actually the requirements for salvation, we're all in trouble. If you look at the whole list, I think you'll see that it has something for everyone. It's unlikely that there's anyone who doesn't do at least one of these things regularly.

Jesus said “narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.” (Matthew 7:14).

The apostle Paul said, “Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.” (2 Corinthians 7:1).

Upvote 0

George Antonios

Aug 25, 2020
Quebec
✟15,255.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I already answered that.
There are different aspects to the kingdom: a spiritual and a physical.
And salvation in the gospels is an Old Testament salvation.
Before the cross, inheriting the kingdom and salvation were connected, you're right.
After the cross, they're not because after the cross salvation is no more of works.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I already answered that.
Before the cross, inheriting the kingdom and salvation were connected, you're right.
After the cross, they're not because after the cross salvation is no more of works.

While we are initially and ultimately saved by God's grace through faith in Christ, the Bible also teaches that works of faith also play a part in the salvation process (even after the cross). For both Jesus and Paul taught and or implied that works play a part in eternal life.

#1. Both Jesus and Paul essentially say you can deny God by one's works.

For Jesus said,
"And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity" (Matthew 7:23).

Jesus said,
"And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth" (Matthew 25:30).

Paul said,
"They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate." (Titus 1:16).​

#2. Both Jesus and Paul essentially say you need to drink of (walk in) the Spirit as a part of everlasting life.

Jesus said,
"But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life." (John 4:14).

Jesus said,
"He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water." (John 7:38).

John said this of Jesus's words,
"(But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)" (John 7:39).

Paul said,
“...God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth” (2 Thessalonians 2:13).

Paul said,
“For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.” (Romans 8:13).

Paul said,
“There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.” (Romans 8:1).​

#3. Both Jesus and Paul say that the judgment involves those being condemned or punished in the afterlife for doing evil vs. doing good leading to glory or life as a part of God's kingdom.

Jesus said,
"And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Paul said,
"But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath, Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile; But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile: For there is no respect of persons with God." (Romans 2:8-11).

Paul said,
19 "Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God." (Galatians 5:19-21).​

#4. Both Jesus and Paul taught that we have to continue to abide in the good works of the Lord or we will be cut off and or burned in the fire.

Jesus said,
4 "Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned" (John 15:4-6).

Paul said,
“For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee. Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.” (Romans 11:21-22).​

#5. Both Jesus and Paul essentially say that the fear of the Lord is a part of salvation.

Jesus said,
"Fear not them who can kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear Him (The Lord, i.e. Jesus) who is able to destroy both soul and body in Gehenna (i.e. the Lake of Fire) (‭‭Matthew‬ ‭10:28‬).

Paul said,
"...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling." (Philippians 2:12).​

#6. Both Jesus and Paul taught that laboring for the right kind of food relates to everlasting life.

Jesus says,
"Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you..." (John 6:29).

Jesus says,
"My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work." (John 4:34).

Paul said,
“...And having become servants of God, ye have your fruit unto holiness and the end, everlasting life.” (Romans 6:22).​

#7. Both Jesus and Paul spoke of a time in the last days of where false prophets shall arise who are faithless and who do not love (i.e. they will have a form of godliness).

Jesus said,
"Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?" (Luke 18:8).

Jesus said,
"And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold." (Matthew 24:12).

Jesus said,
"And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many" (Matthew 24:11).

Paul said,
1 "This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,
7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
8 Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.
9 But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as theirs also was."
(2 Timothy 3:1-9).

Side Note:

Please take note that James says he will show you his faith by his works (James 2:18). So the faithless that Jesus talks about are those who are fruitless or those who do not have any truly good works. 2 Timothy 3:1-9 is also a revealing passage, as well. Basically it is saying what you are not supposed to be like. For this passage describes those who have a form of godliness and they are lovers of pleasure more than lovers of God. This means that a Belief Alone Type Gospel (that leads to one not being concerned about sin or not treating it as seriously) is simply not true. For the moment I tell someone that all they need to do to be saved is to believe in Jesus and nothing else, they are going to not be concerned with living holy (because they do not think it is necessary to enter God's Kingdom).​

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I already answered that.

Another problem with your belief here is that Scripture says God is not a respecter of persons (See: Acts of the Apostles 10:34). For in your belief, God respects people differently based on what point of time they were born. A person can live like the devil and be condemned in one point of time, and yet this is not the case in another point in time.

Upvote 0

George Antonios

Aug 25, 2020
Quebec
✟15,255.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While we are initially and ultimately saved by God's grace through faith in Christ, the Bible also teaches that works of faith also play a part in the salvation process (even after the cross). For both Jesus and Paul taught and or implied that works play a part in eternal life.

#1. Both Jesus and Paul essentially say you can deny God by one's works.

For Jesus said,
"And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity" (Matthew 7:23).

Jesus said,
"And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth" (Matthew 25:30).

Paul said,
"They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate." (Titus 1:16).​

#2. Both Jesus and Paul essentially say you need to drink of (walk in) the Spirit as a part of everlasting life.

Jesus said,
"But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life." (John 4:14).

Jesus said,
"He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water." (John 7:38).

John said this of Jesus's words,
"(But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)" (John 7:39).

Paul said,
“...God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth” (2 Thessalonians 2:13).

Paul said,
“For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.” (Romans 8:13).

Paul said,
“There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.” (Romans 8:1).​

#3. Both Jesus and Paul say that the judgment involves those being condemned or punished in the afterlife for doing evil vs. doing good leading to glory or life as a part of God's kingdom.

Jesus said,
"And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Paul said,
"But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath, Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile; But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile: For there is no respect of persons with God." (Romans 2:8-11).

Paul said,
19 "Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God." (Galatians 5:19-21).​

#4. Both Jesus and Paul taught that we have to continue to abide in the good works of the Lord or we will be cut off and or burned in the fire.

Jesus said,
4 "Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned" (John 15:4-6).

Paul said,
“For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee. Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.” (Romans 11:21-22).​

#5. Both Jesus and Paul essentially say that the fear of the Lord is a part of salvation.

Jesus said,
"Fear not them who can kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear Him (The Lord, i.e. Jesus) who is able to destroy both soul and body in Gehenna (i.e. the Lake of Fire) (‭‭Matthew‬ ‭10:28‬).

Paul said,
"...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling." (Philippians 2:12).​

#6. Both Jesus and Paul taught that laboring for the right kind of food relates to everlasting life.

Jesus says,
"Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you..." (John 6:29).

Jesus says,
"My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work." (John 4:34).

Paul said,
“...And having become servants of God, ye have your fruit unto holiness and the end, everlasting life.” (Romans 6:22).​

#7. Both Jesus and Paul spoke of a time in the last days of where false prophets shall arise who are faithless and who do not love (i.e. they will have a form of godliness).

Jesus said,
"Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?" (Luke 18:8).

Jesus said,
"And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold." (Matthew 24:12).

Jesus said,
"And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many" (Matthew 24:11).

Paul said,
1 "This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,
7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
8 Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.
9 But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as theirs also was."
(2 Timothy 3:1-9).

Side Note:

Please take note that James says he will show you his faith by his works (James 2:18). So the faithless that Jesus talks about are those who are fruitless or those who do not have any truly good works. 2 Timothy 3:1-9 is also a revealing passage, as well. Basically it is saying what you are not supposed to be like. For this passage describes those who have a form of godliness and they are lovers of pleasure more than lovers of God. This means that a Belief Alone Type Gospel (that leads to one not being concerned about sin or not treating it as seriously) is simply not true. For the moment I tell someone that all they need to do to be saved is to believe in Jesus and nothing else, they are going to not be concerned with living holy (because they do not think it is necessary to enter God's Kingdom).​

The gospels are Old Testament.

Upvote 0