✟15,255.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is repentance necessary for salvation?

Many preachers define it as meaning “quitting sin”. As such, those preachers fall into 2 groups:
  • Some preachers say that’s necessary for salvation and needs to be preached.
  • Some preachers say that it’s not necessary for salvation and needs not to be preached.
But both groups agree that it always means “quitting sin”. They’re both wrong about that.

In fact, the expression “repent of sin/s” never occurs one time in the Bible.

But then there’s another and smaller set of preachers who say that it never means “quitting sin”.

They’re wrong also.
  • Sometimes repentance does mean “quitting sin”, and sometimes repentance does not mean “quitting sin”.
  • Sometimes “quitting sin” is necessary for salvation, and sometimes quitting sin is not necessary for salvation.
So is repentance from sins necessary for salvation?

The answer depends on two things:

1) What dispensation/age the preaching of repentance occurs in

2) How repentance is defined : whether as a change of heart or a change of works.

The following video is a rare comprehensive study. Enjoy and may the Lord bless it:

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A Biblical Case For Repentance:

At the heart, I believe the Bible teaches that "Repentance" means, "Asking God for forgiveness" (Which of course naturally then leads to the "fruits of repentance", i.e. obedience to the Lord):

Important Note: While I may believe "Repentance" does involve to a certain degree a "change of mind" (like a person changing their mind about their old life of sin), I do not think "Repentance" exclusively means a “change of mind.”

"Asking God for forgiveness of sin" can either refer to: The "Sinner's Prayer" (Initial Salvation) (Romans 10:13), and or the seasoned believer "Confessing one's sin" (Continued Salvation) (See 1 John 1:9, 1 John 2:1).

Anyways, here are my ten points using Scripture showing that "repentance" means "asking God for forgiveness of sin.”

#1. Acts 2:38,
The New Living Translation says in Acts 2:38 to "repent of your sins."
Douay Reheims says in Acts 2:38 to "Do penance."
New Life Version says in Acts 2:38 to "Be sorry for your sins"

#2. Luke 17:3 says, "Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him." This doesn't make any sense if "repent" means believe in Jesus (as some teach) or to have a change of mind about sin (as others teach) or to exclusively forsake sin. Yes, we are to forsake sin as a part of repentance but that comes later after repentance (Which is to ask God for forgiveness of our sin). For how can we reconcile with a brother if we do not say we are sorry vs. just going on about life as if we did nothing wrong?

#3. Jesus said in Matthew 12:41 that the Ninevites will rise up in Judgment against this generation because they repented at the preaching of Jonah. If you were to turn to Jonah chapter 3, you would be able to see in Jonah 3:6-10 that the King of the Ninevites had told his people to:

(a) Cry out to God (i.e. Repentance) (See Jonah 3:8).
(b) Turn from their sins or evil ways (i.e. The Natural Fruits of Repentance).​

#4. Matthew 3:6 (which then lines up with Matthew 3:8). Also, in Mark 1:4-5, it says John preached the "baptism of repentance" for the remission of sins (verse 4), and it then defines this "baptism of repentance" by saying they confessed their sins when they were baptized (verse 5).

#5. We see in Acts of the Apostles 8:22 a clear example of Peter telling Simon to "repent" of his wickedness in trying to pay for the Holy Spirit. Peter is telling Simon to make a prayer towards God. For Peter says that he should pray that God might forgive him. In other words, Peter is telling Simon to repent of a one time event of wickedness by way of prayer to GOD. This only makes sense if "repent" means to "ask for forgiveness."

#6. Ezekiel 14:6 says,
"Repent, and turn yourselves from your idols;" Repent makes the most sense here if a person is asking God for forgiveness by way of prayer instead of a person just believing in God. Naturally a person believes in God as their Savior if they are planning on forsaking their idols.

#7. We see repentance is the topic of discussion in Luke 15 (Luke 15:6) (Luke 15:10); This is then followed up by the "Parable of the Prodigal Son" with the son desiring to be reconciled with his father. We learn the WAY the Prodigal Son desired to be reconciled with his father when he said,

"I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee, And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants." (Luke 15:18-19).

In other words, the Prodigal Son was seeking forgiveness. This ties into the point of repentance in Luke 15:6 and Luke 15:10.

#8. Luke 10:13 says,
"Woe unto thee, Chorazin! woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works had been done in Tyre and Sidon, which have been done in you, they had a great while ago repented, sitting in sackcloth and ashes." This rules out the theory that repentance is exclusively forsaking sin. Granted, forsaking sin always follow true repentance (Asking God for forgiveness of one's sins) but forsaking sin is not repentance. The word "repented" here is describing a one time event because they "repented", sitting in sackcloth and ashes. In Jonah 3:6 we learn that the King of Nineveh sat in sackcloth and ashes. In Jonah 3:8, the King of Nineveh tells people to put on sackcloth, and cry mightily unto God (i.e. repentance): and then turn from their evil way (i.e. the fruits of repentance).

#9. John the Baptist says we are to bring forth fruits worthy of repentance (Luke 3:8). Fruits are deeds (or obedience to God). How can repentance be the same thing as the fruit? Is the fruit the same thing as the tree?

#10. Jeremiah 8:6 says, "I hearkened and heard, but they spake not aright: no man repented him of his wickedness, saying, What have I done? every one turned to his course, as the horse rusheth into the battle." Here we see the word "repented of wickedness" tied with the words, "What have I done?" This is an acknowledgement of one's sin to God as a part of asking His forgiveness.

Notable Additional Verses that Deal with Repentance
(But They Do Not Use The Word "Repent" or "Repentance"):

"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." (Romans 10:13).

13 "And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted. (Luke 18:13-14).

Proverbs 28:13 says whosoever confesses and forsakes sin shall have mercy.

Upvote 0

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟173,391.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In another thread it was figured out that the English Bible translations use the word "repent" for two greek words which actually mean different things. But reading the original text of the Bible it's fairly easy to figure out when it means "to change your mind" and when it's "remorse/regret".
Judas Iskariot never repented, he felt remorse.

But when the Bible (both OT and NT) encourage people to "Repent and live!" then it's always a requested change of mind. It's not a feeling.

Here's the best way to explain it:

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟800,884.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I actually agree with a lot of what he said, but would say it a different way, and add something.
The nonbelieving sinner does not have the indwelling power of the Holy Spirit to keep from sinning, so best he/she can do is turn to God for help and be willing to accept that help. This is the repenting for salvation the nonbeliever can do, which would not be a "work" since he/she is only humbly accepting pure charity. Repenting of sins and allowing the Spirit to work through them afterwards is not for salvation, but it does help keep the Christian valuing Love and growing their Love. If the Christian does not continue to "grow" they will wither and if they wither enough God's Love will loss its value and like Esau they can give their birthright away.

Upvote 0

George Antonios

Aug 25, 2020
Quebec
✟15,255.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In another thread it was figured out that the English Bible translations use the word "repent" for two greek words which actually mean different things. But reading the original text of the Bible it's fairly easy to figure out when it means "to change your mind" and when it's "remorse/regret".
Judas Iskariot never repented, he felt remorse.

But when the Bible (both OT and NT) encourage people to "Repent and live!" then it's always a requested change of mind. It's not a feeling.

Here's the best way to explain it:

The Greek language game is so amorphous that it is seldom meaningful and often misrepresented, misunderstood, and misused.

• Agree
Reactions: Rapture Bound
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TibiasDad

Jun 4, 2020
Pickerington, Oh
✟52,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
The Greek language game is so amorphous that it is seldom meaningful and often misrepresented, misunderstood, and misused.

Amorphous is a Greek word, is it without meaning, misrepresented, misunderstood, and misused? Perhaps the appeal to the Greek is only amorphous if the definition is not to your liking, but I can't say for sure as you are new here and this is my first time reading you.

So welcome to CF, but the original languages are the only foundation of meaning for any subsequent language translating it!

Doug

Upvote 0

BibleBeliever1611

May 3, 2020
Vantaa
✟80,648.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here's a fun fact: repentance is never mentioned in the gospel of John. Not even once. If repenting of sin was necessary for salvation, then it would have been in the book of John since that is the book that is meant for people who are not saved and to get them saved.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Many preachers define it as meaning “quitting sin”. As such, those preachers fall into 2 groups:
  • Some preachers say that it’s not necessary for salvation and needs not to be preached.
But both groups agree that it always means “quitting sin”. They’re both wrong about that.

But then there’s another and smaller set of preachers who say that it never means “quitting sin”.

They’re wrong also.
  • Sometimes repentance does mean “quitting sin”, and sometimes repentance does not mean “quitting sin”.
  • Sometimes “quitting sin” is necessary for salvation, and sometimes quitting sin is not necessary for salvation.

2) How repentance is defined : whether as a change of heart or a change of works.

The following video is a rare comprehensive study. Enjoy and may the Lord bless it:

Our salvation is from sin (Matthew 1:21), so there is no sense in speaking about the concept of being saved from sin apart from repenting from sin.

Mark 1:4 John appeared, baptizing in the wilderness and proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.

Luke 3:3 And he went into all the region around the Jordan, proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.

Luke 5:32 I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance.”

Luke 15:7 Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.

Luke 24:47 and that repentance for the forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem.

Acts 2:38 And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Acts 3:19 Repent therefore, and turn back, that your sins may be blotted out,

Acts 5:31 God exalted him at his right hand as Leader and Savior, to give repentance to Israel and forgiveness of sins.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,008.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
If you look at all instances of repent and related words in the Gospels, you find that it's used for an overall change in direction. Yes, sinners are called to repent, but in the sense of turning around their lives. The term "sinner" indicates in the Gospels not just someone who sins now and then, but someone who is living a life opposed to God. We don't see what Christians have sometimes taught that if you don't repent of every individual sin you are doomed. That can turn repentance from a life-changing event to a legalistic accounting exercise.

It's also worth noting that the term "sinners" is ambivalent in the Gospels. The Pharisees considered anyone who didn't accept all the provisions of their oral law to be sinners, in the broad sense of someone opposed to God's standards. When Jesus is accused of consorting with sinners, it is likely the that accusation is based in part on the fact that he didn't accept the Pharisees' interpretations, and this didn't reject the people the Pharisees thought he should reject.

However in Luke 15:7 it seems apparent that the reference is to actual sinners, not the Pharisees' so-called sinners.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

George Antonios

Aug 25, 2020
Quebec
✟15,255.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Our salvation is from sin (Matthew 1:21), so there is no sense in speaking about the concept of being saved from sin apart from repenting from sin.

Mark 1:4 John appeared, baptizing in the wilderness and proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.

Luke 3:3 And he went into all the region around the Jordan, proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.

Luke 5:32 I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance.”

Luke 15:7 Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.

Luke 24:47 and that repentance for the forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem.

Acts 2:38 And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Acts 3:19 Repent therefore, and turn back, that your sins may be blotted out,

Acts 5:31 God exalted him at his right hand as Leader and Savior, to give repentance to Israel and forgiveness of sins.

Have you listened to the video in whole?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

George Antonios

Aug 25, 2020
Quebec
✟15,255.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you look at all instances of repent and related words in the Gospels, you find that it's used for an overall change in direction. Yes, sinners are called to repent, but in the sense of turning around their lives. The term "sinner" indicates in the Gospels not just someone who sins now and then, but someone who is living a life opposed to God. We don't see what Christians have sometimes taught that if you don't repent of every individual sin you are doomed. That can turn repentance from a life-changing event to a legalistic accounting exercise.

It's also worth noting that the term "sinners" is ambivalent in the Gospels. The Pharisees considered anyone who didn't accept all the provisions of their oral law to be sinners, in the broad sense of someone opposed to God's standards. When Jesus is accused of consorting with sinners, it is likely the that accusation is based in part on the fact that he didn't accept the Pharisees' interpretations, and this didn't reject the people the Pharisees thought he should reject.

However in Luke 15:7 it seems apparent that the reference is to actual sinners, not the Pharisees' so-called sinners.
You're generally right about that, yes.

Upvote 0

George Antonios

Aug 25, 2020
Quebec
✟15,255.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here's a fun fact: repentance is never mentioned in the gospel of John. Not even once. If repenting of sin was necessary for salvation, then it would have been in the book of John since that is the book that is meant for people who are not saved and to get them saved.
Well, that's true, it was in my notes, not sure if I mentioned it in the video or not.
But you can't push that too far. For example: Paul never mentions hell in any of his epistles. Does that mean that Paul wasn't teaching salvation from hell? Of course not. Likewise, that doesn't mean John wasn't preaching repentance.
The idea is to identify the dispensational context, as the video points out.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

They’re wrong also.

Paul said you can deny God by a lack of works (Titus 1:16).
Paul said not to be deceived that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God and then he lists various sins as a part of that such as murder, hate, adultery, fornication, drunkenness, idolatry, etc. (See: Galatians 5:19-21).

Repent means to seek forgiveness with the Lord, but it is always followed by the fruits of repentance (Such a good deeds, holy living, and putting away mortal sin).

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,008.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Well, that's true, it was in my notes, not sure if I mentioned it in the video or not.
But you can't push that too far. For example: Paul never mentions hell in any of his epistles. Does that mean that Paul wasn't teaching salvation from hell? Of course not. Likewise, that doesn't mean John wasn't preaching repentance.
The idea is to identify the dispensational context, as the video points out.
He doesn't just not mention it. He gives us a pretty explicit description of judgement in 1 Cor 15.

Upvote 0