Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My honorary granddaughter (I'll call her Miss R) actually married her husband (I'll call him Mr. D) a year ago. But if anyone wondered why she never got around to legally changing her name to Mrs. D, there was a good reason for it. No, it had nothing to do with feminism or any kind of modern thinking. That reason was a surprise that many of us kept secret from Mr. D's step-father, Mr. T, intending to reveal it at the wedding. Last year, it was a courthouse ceremony. For their first anniversary, they wanted to do it up right, in the church, for all to celebrate with them. And also so they could reveal their surprise to Mr. T.

Mr. and Mrs. T sang for the congregation before the ceremony. Although the bride had given them a list of songs to choose from, the one they went with was not one of them. At first the bride was a little piqued. She didn't think "Good Good Father" was a proper wedding song. Neither did I, actually, but then I was thinking, given the surprise that was about to be revealed, it did fit. Before they sang, Mr. T (who is himself a preacher, and sometimes fills in when the pastor isn't available to preach) gave a short explanation for why they had chosen that song. Essentially, neither the bride nor the groom had a father that was worth much of a darn, so when you're in that predicament, if you don't have any other kind of father, you still have your Father in Heaven.

Everyone who was in on the secret was hearing him say this, and thinking, "Oh, you have no idea how appropriate your words are."

And he didn't.

When the vows had been exchanged and the bride had been kissed, the pastor turned the bride and groom around and introduced them. "I present to you Mr. and Mrs. .... T."

Not Mr. and Mrs. D, as would have been expected, but Mr. and Mrs. T.

And the older Mr. T, step-father of the groom, was looking up at the pastor, thinking, "How could you make a mistake like that?" He was immediately reassured, it was no mistake. It took a couple of minutes to sink in, but when it did, it sank in hard, and he just lost it, right there in the pew.

It's amazing that so many people managed to keep such a big secret for so long, but we pulled it off, and it was worth every bite of the tongue to see the moment happen. You see, a month ago, Miss R and Mr. D went to the courthouse again. Both of them legally changed their last name to his step-father's. They are not, and never will be, Mr. and Mrs. D. They are Mr. and Mrs. T.

The older Mr. T, the same man who had said something to my husband about "place of honor," then realized he had been given the greatest honor of all. His stepson was saying to him, "You are father enough to me that I want your last name."

There are some moments you just will never forget.

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟839,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There wasn't a dry eye anywhere within a mile of there. I think even the pictures in people's wallets had tears in their eyes.

• Haha
Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God Bless them all.
Thank you for sharing this wonderful story. It just goes to show that a good parent doesn't have to be a blood relation just someone who really loves you.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There wasn't a dry eye anywhere within a mile of there. I think even the pictures in people's wallets had tears in their eyes.
Oh and God Bless you too Honorary Grandma who obvious has loved and is loved.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums