The wedding at Cana: Wine or grape juice?

Regarding the miracle at Cana, did Jesus turn water into wine or grape juice?

• water into wine

• water into grape juice

• I don't know

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Regarding Christ's miracle at the wedding at Cana: Did Jesus turn water into wine or did He turn water into grape juice? What do you believe and why?

John 2:1-12
1 On the third day there was a wedding in Cana of Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there. 2 Now both Jesus and His disciples were invited to the wedding. 3 And when they ran out of wine, the mother of Jesus said to Him, “They have no wine.”

4 Jesus said to her, “Woman, what does your concern have to do with Me? My hour has not yet come.”

5 His mother said to the servants, “Whatever He says to you, do it.”

6 Now there were set there six waterpots of stone, according to the manner of purification of the Jews, containing twenty or thirty gallons apiece. 7 Jesus said to them, “Fill the waterpots with water.” And they filled them up to the brim. 8 And He said to them, “Draw some out now, and take it to the master of the feast.” And they took it. 9 When the master of the feast had tasted the water that was made wine, and did not know where it came from (but the servants who had drawn the water knew), the master of the feast called the bridegroom. 10 And he said to him, “Every man at the beginning sets out the good wine, and when the guests have well drunk, then the inferior. You have kept the good wine until now!”

11 This beginning of signs Jesus did in Cana of Galilee, and manifested His glory; and His disciples believed in Him.

12 After this He went down to Capernaum, He, His mother, His brothers, and His disciples; and they did not stay there many days.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Wine.

It was a wedding. And why would they be commenting about people having drunk well before the poorer stuff being brought out except that they were ... less discerning ... after drinking.

If it were a gourmet or quality comparison, it's better to bring the good stuff later. If you taste the quality food/drink first, what follows will be distasteful. But if you've had a bit of wine to drink, the effect would be reversed.

Upvote 0

Lion King

Veni, vidi, vici
Mar 29, 2011
Heavenly Jerusalem- Mount Zion
✟10,388.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Wine.

The master of the feast makes it plain that he speaking about wine in the passage below:

Master of the Feast at Cana said:
"Every man at the beginning sets out the good wine, and when the guests have well drunk, then the inferior. You have kept the good wine until now!”

Most folks served the best wine first and brought out the cheaper stuff after guests were well drunk. Why? Drunk people usually can't tell the difference between good and inferior wine.

However, Christ's wine was so good that some of the guests noticed the difference in quality.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
No pasteurization until modern times.

The story itself wouldn't be logical if it were grape juice anyway.

I agree that it was wine, but why do you say it was not "logical"
no pasteurization would not have really been a problem since it was created through direct, and miraculous, action by God?

I mean He could have turned it into welches or Coca-Cola if He wanted to

Upvote 0

Mama Kidogo

Τίποτα νέο μυθιστόρημα τίποτα
Jan 31, 2014
USA for the time being
✟19,535.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Wine.

The master of the feast makes it plain that he speaking about wine in the passage below:

Most folks served the best wine first and brought out the cheaper stuff after guests were well drunk. Why? Drunk people usually can't tell the difference between good and inferior wine.

However, Christ's wine was so good that some of the guests noticed the difference in quality.

That last sentence is a bit of a miracle on it's own.^_^
Definitely wine.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Mama Kidogo

Jan 31, 2014
USA for the time being
✟19,535.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
no pasteurization would not have really been a problem since it was created through direct, and miraculous, action by God?

Coca-Cola?^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

Maybe so, but they wouldn't have recognized it as wine, and certainly not the best sort of wine." They would have been all "What is this sickly sweet nonsense masquerading as wine?!"

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Mama Kidogo

Jan 31, 2014
USA for the time being
✟19,535.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Maybe so, but they wouldn't have recognized it as wine, and certainly not the best sort of wine." They would have been all "What is this sickly sweet nonsense masquerading as wine?!"

Unless he added rum and then they'd all shout, "Cuba Libre !"^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

Yes, wine. If for reasons of their own Fundamentalists want to distance themselves from wine (because of memories of Prohibition), then suddenly they find themselves agreeing with theological liberals who claim it wasn't real wine.

What theological liberals would those be? I've never heard of such a thing.

Upvote 0

Targaryen

Scripture,Tradition and Reason
Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
Yes, wine. If for reasons of their own Fundamentalists want to distance themselves from wine (because of memories of Prohibition), then suddenly they find themselves agreeing with theological liberals who claim it wasn't real wine.

Hmmm...speaking as a theological liberal, your statement about that is faulty.

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Wouldn't one need to buy into the 19th century "temperance movement" philosophy to believe that Jesus turned water into alcohol free grape juice once the guests at the wedding feast in Cana were too drunk to notice?

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's a wedding and like any good Anglican, there would be something to drink to celebrate that. So yeah...wine.

What? Jesus was an Anglican? I agree that the water was turned into wine (and some have been trying to turn it back to water ever since) but I don't see where it says that Jesus was Anglican.

Upvote 0

Targaryen

Scripture,Tradition and Reason
Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
What? Jesus was an Anglican? I agree that the water was turned into wine (and some have been trying to turn it back to water ever since) but I don't see where it says that Jesus was Anglican.

It was a bit of a joke while answering the question.

:doh:

Apparently humor is over some people's heads.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.