• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

The Wayward Adult Son

Status
Not open for further replies.

spd1275

May 6, 2006
✟15,130.00
Faith
Baptist
My 26 year old son has had a long history of drug abuse, drinking, rebellion, lying, stealing and jail. His mother and I split up 7 years ago and I remarried 6 years ago and relocated to Australia from Texas.

About 2 years ago my son told me he was now clean and was working to become a responsible person. I can't tell you how happy I was. His mother seemed to confirm it and, since he was a cook and I operated a restaurant, I began to think maybe we could work together, and I could get to know my CLEAN son.

We emailed and spoke regularly and he told me how difficult it was to move forward when so many folks daily remind you of the past. I suggested he come to Australia, and that he did 9 months ago.

To shorten the story, he may be clean from drugs but it is replaced with alcohol. He still lies, cheats, steals just like before. The past 9 months have been hell. To compound matters, he was clearly trying to drive a wedge between his stepmom and me.

I finally had enough and he is leaving in a few days for Texas.

I am sitting here this morning in tears. What will become of him? I have searched my heart, and I know he is what he has chosen to become. Will he speak to me again? He blames me for all his troubles.

I know the words... I am to turn him over to God. I have to trust God to do His work in Sean. Thats all well and good. I am just sick about this.

I am sending him away with little money, no job, nothing. He is going to have to make it on his own, and he probably won't.

If someone has some perfect words, now would be a great time to hear them.

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think you might get more appropriate responses in the alcohol/drug forum. This forum is about recovery from borderline personality disorder. What you describe in your son sounds like addiction problems, not necessarily personality problems. Unless there is more you are not sharing about your son's behavior, I suggest you try a different forum.

I can tell you that my son had a heroin problem, and he got kicked out by me, and his father. He eventually went to live with his sister, and started getting his life in order.

I suggest you see if there is Al-Anon in your area.

Good luck,
Trish

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.