✟15,114.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Greetings.
I've just completed reading this book and am so very happy I purchased it! Come to find out, there are many different translations out there. Mine is the one translated by R.M. French with an Introduction by Huston Smith.

My question to you is this; has anyone read more than one translation of this book? I'd like to know if there are any major differences.

Question 2; has anyone purchased the Russian version of the 5 volume set of The Philokalia? It is supposed to have been translated from Slavonic to Russian by Theophan the Recluse. Info on Amazon.com says "author unknown" and having asked around no one can say who it's published by. 2010 is the publishing year.

Dobrotolubiye

Mar 2, 2016
Gulf Coast Florida USA
✟15,114.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks ArmyMatt! Which version of Philokalia have you read? Was it an English version? If so, who was it translated by and from what source?

I just purchased a 2 volume set translated from the original Greek (me believe) by Constantine Cavarnos in 2008-9. A very large group of monastics here in the USA, believe it is one of the best. I am told it is 'condensed' down to the most pertinent writings whereas the Russian 5-volume set has much added by the translator - Theophan the Recluse.

I'm going to order the Russian 5-volume set from Moscow once someone can confirm the translator. Right now, the publisher seems to not know. That, does not sound too good to me.

I was once a student of the Russian language so maybe these books will help me recover the reading skills I have lost over the years. Most important, Theophan the Recluse has written many books of great spiritual value.

Upvote 0

Dobrotolubiye

Mar 2, 2016
Gulf Coast Florida USA
✟15,114.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
The Philokalia is "a collection of texts written between the 4th and 15th centuries by spiritual masters" of the Eastern Orthodox hesychast tradition.

Please 'Google' it as it is could be amongst the most spiritual material you could ever read. I strongly recommend you read a small book first which could introduce you to the Philokalia as it is suggested the readings be done in a certain order. The Way of a Pilgrim.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Which version of Philokalia have you read? Was it an English version? If so, who was it translated by and from what source?

the one from Met Kallistos Ware. that four volume English set.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Greetings.
I've just completed reading this book and am so very happy I purchased it! Come to find out, there are many different translations out there. Mine is the one translated by R.M. French with an Introduction by Huston Smith.

My question to you is this; has anyone read more than one translation of this book? I'd like to know if there are any major differences.

Question 2; has anyone purchased the Russian version of the 5 volume set of The Philokalia? It is supposed to have been translated from Slavonic to Russian by Theophan the Recluse. Info on Amazon.com says "author unknown" and having asked around no one can say who it's published by. 2010 is the publishing year.

Hello, Dobrotolubiye, and welcome to CF, and to TAW as well! :) We're very glad you're here!

Sorry that I don't have an answer for your question. I was told there are great differences in the translation, but the only one I have read is the same one you have - I believe (iirc) it came most highly recommended of all the translations.

I'm afraid I can't help with the Philokalia either - I only have it in English (and only vol. 1-4 as I believe that is all that has been translated and published so far by Met. Kallistos Ware?). I have not heard of the 2-volume work. Interesting.

Indeed, St. Theophan the Recluse has written books of immense spiritual value! He has to be one of my favorite writers of all. :)

Again, welcome to CF and to TAW! I pray you are blessed by being here, and that you stay around, as Matt said. :)

Upvote 0