Aug 18, 2012
✟1,427,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The USA Network of newspapers have released an unprecedented multi-media investigation of the border area in light of Trump's plan to build a wall.

"We flew the entire border, drove it too. More than 30 reporters and photographers interviewed migrants, farmers, families, tribal members — even a human smuggler. We joined Border Patrol agents on the ground, in a tunnel, at sea. We patrolled with vigilantes, walked the line with ranchers. We scoured government maps, fought for property records."

https://www.usatoday.com/border-wall/

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The USA Network of newspapers have released an unprecedented multi-media investigation of the border area in light of Trump's plan to build a wall.

"We flew the entire border, drove it too. More than 30 reporters and photographers interviewed migrants, farmers, families, tribal members — even a human smuggler. We joined Border Patrol agents on the ground, in a tunnel, at sea. We patrolled with vigilantes, walked the line with ranchers. We scoured government maps, fought for property records."

I heard about this on the news last night. Thanks for posting the link. It's gong to take quite a bit of time to go through all the information.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm still not sure what the intended goal is for the wall.

Given that undocumented Mexican immigrants are only a subset of illegal immigrants, and of them, the majority are what's known as "visa overstays" (meaning, they entered legally, but didn't leave when they were scheduled to), what exactly is the wall going to accomplish? It seems like a bit of an overblown plan for something that, in all likelihood, is only going to reduce the number of illegal immigrants by 10-15%.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Thanks. I didn't know USA Today did any original reporting.

I'm still not sure what the intended goal is for the wall.

Given that undocumented Mexican immigrants are only a subset of illegal immigrants, and of them, the majority are what's known as "visa overstays" (meaning, they entered legally, but didn't leave when they were scheduled to), what exactly is the wall going to accomplish? It seems like a bit of an overblown plan for something that, in all likelihood, is only going to reduce the number of illegal immigrants by 10-15%.

It looks good and seems tough to people who don't know any better.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,427,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks. I didn't know USA Today did any original reporting.

The Arizona Republic, which Gannett Newspapers (USA Today) acquired within the last year or two, took the lead in the investigation.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0