✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
393) Heb 10:21-22 . . Since we have a high priest over the house of God, let us draw near to God with a sincere heart, in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience

Sprinkling was a common ritual in the Old Testament-- sometimes with water, sometimes with oil, and sometimes with blood --for example: Ex 29:16, Ex 29:21, Lev 14:7, Lev 14 16, and Num 8:7, et al.

Sprinkling typically serves to de-contaminate someone or some thing in order to make it suitable for God's purposes. Well, in point of fact; none of the Old Testament's sprinklings served to cleanse people's conscience once and for all time. They had to keep bringing one sacrifice after another in a perpetual stream of sacrifices because each sacrifice cleansed their conscience just that one time instead of for all time.

Heb 10:10-14 . .We have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. And every priest stands daily ministering and offering time after time the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins; but he, having offered one sacrifice for sins for all time, sat down at the right hand of God, waiting from that time onward until his enemies be made a footstool for His feet. For by one offering he has perfected for all time those who are sanctified.

Christ sat down at the right hand of God; which is something the covenant that Yhvh's people agreed upon with God does not allow for its high priest, He dare not linger with God in the holy of holies behind the vail primarily because the blood of a beast that the priest sprinkles on the mercy seat doesn't suffice to permanently sanitize either himself or the people.

/

Upvote 0

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
394) Heb 10:23 . . Let us cling to the acknowledgment of our faith without wavering; (for He is faithful that promised)

One can scarcely blame the author's Hebrew audience for wondering if perchance they're making a really big mistake dumping the covenant that Yhvh's people made with God as per Deut 29:9-15. A lot is at stake.

For one thing, the covenant is their sacred heritage and their cultural identity; and for another, the covenant is a contract that obligates God to lower the boom on His people with some pretty severe penalties for breaching it: they're all on file at Lev 26:3-38, Deut 27:15-26, and Deut 28:1-69. When Hebrews convert to Christianity, they have to wonder if maybe they're stepping off into an abyss from whence there is no return.

But the reality is: they have nothing to lose by taking that step because the original covenant provides neither forgiveness nor atonement for willful sins; which can be defined as deeds committed by someone knowing beforehand that what they were about to do is wrong.

"The priest shall atone for the erring soul which sinned inadvertently before The Lord, so as to atone on his behalf, and it shall be forgiven him. One law shall apply to anyone who sins inadvertently from the native born of the children of Israel and the proselyte who resides among them.

. . . But if a person should act highhandedly, whether he is a native born or a proselyte, he is blaspheming The Lord, and that soul shall be cut off from among its people. For he has scorned the word of The Lord and violated His commandment; that soul shall be utterly cut off; for its iniquity is upon it." (Num 12:28-31, cf. Heb 10:26)

I'm pretty sure it was Num 12:28-31 that Paul had in mind when he informed his Jewish countrymen "through Jesus everyone who believes is freed from all things, from which you could not be freed through the law of Moses" (Acts 13:39)

One of the more common willful sins is dishonesty. Everybody knows it's wrong but go about it anyway. Well; dishonesty is forbidden by the original covenant.

"You shall not lie, one man to his fellow." (Lev 19:11)

So then, when a Torah-trained Jew tells a lie; he acts highhandedly; viz: he commits a willful sin for which the original covenant provides neither forgiveness nor atonement. That man is a scofflaw and in desperate need of a safety net.

Now, the author mentioned that "He is faithful that promised". So then, what is the promise? Well; the promise relates, among other things, to God's spirit; which began its journey to His people back in the Old Testament thusly:

"This is what was spoken by the prophet Joel: In the last days, God says, I will pour out My spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams. Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days, and they will prophesy." (Joel 2:28-29, cf. Acts 2:16-18)

And:

"I will take you out of the nations; I will gather you from all the countries and bring you back into your own land. I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols. I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put My spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws." (Ezek 36:24-27)

The promise is gold because the forgiveness it promises applies to "all your impurities" i.e. willful sins just as much as inadvertent sins; viz; it's the safety net that every Torah-trained Jew so desperately needs to get him out from under the original covenant's terrible consequences for breaching it.

"Cursed be he who does not uphold the words of this Torah, to fulfill them." (Deut 27:26)

/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
395) Heb 10:24 . . And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.

Man is a species of life that is quite naturally, and comfortably, inclined to provoke and annoy each other and bring out the worst in their fellow men. It is Christ's wishes that his own make an effort to do just the opposite; viz: bring out the best in each other.

396) Heb 10:25 . . Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another-- and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

When my brother and I were growing up, we shared the same bedroom. Well, one day our parents decided to separate us, so they moved my brother to another room. When I asked them why; they said it was because we egg each other on. (I guess it was okay for my parents to egg themselves on but not okay for us.)

Anyway, point being, the old strategy of divide and conquer still works even to this day. It's much easier to be strong in a group of supportive friends and allies than it is all alone when the only resources available are your own. It's still true that two heads are better than one; plus, in a group, the right kind of peer pressure can work to everyone's advantage.

For example, there was a time in America when it was mocked as hippy-ish to subsist on organic food. But lately, organic has become so popular that nobody feels weird anymore when they shop for it. That's what I mean by the right kind of peer pressure.

Anyway; when people are isolated, they're much easier to suppress, and prevent from conspiring against a common foe; which is why unions are called "organized" labor. One or two workers alone against the front office are probably going to get themselves crushed but when the entire workforce is united in a common cause, it's not so easy for corporate bulldozers to abuse human rights.

NOTE: The "day" the author spoke of is the Day Of The Lord, in which several judgments are scheduled to take place. The one most pertinent to Christ's people is their performance evaluation as per 1Cor 3:5-15, and the one most pertinent to the world is the Tribulation depicted in the book of Revelation, and the one most pertinent to the lost is their day in court as per Rev 20:11-15; and the one most pertinent to Yhvh's people is a sort of Ellis Island as per Ezek 20:33-44.

/

Upvote 0

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
397) Heb 10:32-34 . . Remember the former days, when, after being enlightened, you endured a great conflict of sufferings, partly, by being made a public spectacle through reproaches and tribulations, and partly by becoming sharers with those who were so treated . . knowing in yourselves that you have for yourselves a better possession: one that abides

I think one of the worst injuries to my feelings I had to endure when I was an up-and-coming Bible believer was to be called a Jesus Freak; which is a denigrating label once pinned on those involved in the Jesus movement of the late 1960s and early 1970s.

It was quickly embraced by some, and soon broadened to describe a Christian subculture throughout the hippie and back-to-the-land movements that focused on universal love and pacifism, and relished the "radical" nature of Jesus' message.

Jesus freaks often carried, and distributed, copies of Good News for Modern Man; a 1966 translation of the Bible that fit the bill by including, at first, only the New Testament in a modern vernacular. "Jesus Freak" is currently a disparaging term for Evangelical Christians.

Well, I was neither a hippie nor an organic gardener; I was just a simple guy very interested in following Christ. The heck of it was that the people who called me that name were (I thought) my friends.

Another term I was labeled was Mr. Clean; and that was by a girl I had known in high school as (I thought) a close personal friend. Well, later in life, after she divorced and began sleeping around, my "friend" got ticked off at me because I had no intention of getting in her pants so she called me that name. There I was the best friend and role model she knew of for her four fatherless children and she ridiculed me for being a decent man. (I can't help but wonder if a life of promiscuity was the goal she had in mind for her little ones.)

398) Heb 10:35-36 . .Therefore, do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward. For you have need of perseverance, so that when you have done the will of God, you may receive what was promised.

The kind of perseverance the author is talking about is not the dogged determination of US Navy SEALS; which are a group of military guys who absolutely refuse to be beaten at anything you might name. If SEALS were to play hop-scotch it would turn violent.

I would liken the kind of perseverance in mind here as that of a farmer. ACDC says it's a long ways to the top if you wanna rock and roll. Well, farmers have a long ways to harvest if they wanna make it to market. First they have to till the soil, then rake it, then plant seeds, then wait on mother nature to irrigate them with rain, then they have to wait more yet for their crops to grow to maturity before harvesting.

Farmers look forward to their harvests; they anticipate them otherwise who would plow, rake, and plant if there were nothing to expect later on down the road?

That kind of perseverance anticipates a benefit. Webster's defines anticipate as: to look forward to as certain; viz: to expect. As a rule, farmers don't begin the planting season expecting their fields to produce nothing. No, they plan on going to market because they expect to see crops in the fields at harvest time. It would be a very strange farmer indeed who looked forward to the ravages of drought, disease, and insect plagues every year.

399) Heb 12:1 . .Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses all around us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance, and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

The comparison is made to sporting events-- e.g. baseball, football, track and field, hockey, basketball, etc --where the audience is basically seated in a circle or an oval watching the games.

I don't think the audience in this instance pertains to the spirits of deceased saints, rather, the people all around us in our daily lives.

"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do men light a candle, and put it under a bowl, but on a lamp stand; and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven." (Matt 5:14-16)

I don't know exactly how the world glorifies God when it sees Christians putting their religion into practice; but I'm pretty sure the world has nothing but disgust for a hypocrite's religion. (cf. 2Sam 2:14)

400) Heb 12:3-4 . . For consider him who has endured such hostility by sinners against himself, so that you may not grow weary and lose heart. You have not yet resisted to the point of shedding blood in your striving against sin

At a Padres baseball game I attended in San Diego back in the 1970's, the First Baseman of the visiting team was a player named Pete Rose. For the entire duration of the game, Pete was bombarded with insults and remarks by rows of hecklers seated right along the first-base line. The hecklers were relentless but Pete tuned them out and played that game as if they were invisible. He was a real pro; however, Pete may have reacted differently had they threatened him with bodily injury, confiscation of his property, and/or death.

The Jews to whom the author wrote must have had it pretty good because it was only a matter of time before Christians were targets for arrows, swords, lances, pyres, and the teeth of beasts in the coliseum at Rome. Even today, it is very dangerous to be a Christian in Muslim countries.

Saturday, August 03, 2009, a frenzied mob of 3,000 Muslims stormed the tiny Pakistani Christian village of Gojra. Enflamed by (unconfirmed) charges that a Christian had incinerated pages of the Koran, the mob burned down fifty homes, cremated eight Christians alive, and wounded twenty others. Thousands of Christians fled the area.

/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
401) Heb 12:5-6 . . My son, do not despise the Lord's chastening, nor detest His correction; for whom the Lord loves He corrects, just as a father the son in whom he delights.

Father's correct the sons they love to make better people out of them. Father's who don't love their sons correct them simply to dominate them and get them to mind; which often results in those unloved sons becoming resentful and rebellious.

402) Heb 12:7-11 . . If you endure chastening, God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom a father does not discipline? But if you are without discipline, of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate and not sons.

. . . Furthermore, we have had human fathers who corrected us, and we paid them respect. Shall we not much more readily be in subjection to the Father of spirits and live? For they indeed for a few days chastened us as seemed best to them, but He for our profit, that we may be partakers of His holiness.

. . . Now no chastening seems to be joyful for the present, but painful; nevertheless, afterward it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.

Child training is quite a bit different than child abuse; training builds character, while abuse breaks the spirit.

/

Upvote 0

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
403) Heb 12:12-13 . .Therefore, strengthen the hands that are weak, and the knees that are feeble, and make straight paths for your feet, so that the limb which is lame may not be put out of joint, but rather be healed.

That almost sounds like physical therapy; which of course it is. When I had one of my knees replaced, the therapist had to teach me how to walk all over again-- how to walk properly because with the bad knee, I couldn't; and that had gone on for more than a decade. And not only that, but the leg with the bad knee had become feeble because I favored it and wasn't using it properly. So a large percentage of my therapy involved getting that game leg strong again by means of an exercise regimen.

The Greek word for "straight" is orthos (or-thos') which doesn't necessarily define the shortest distance between two points. It can also mean smooth and level; in other words: free of tripping hazards; which someone undergoing treatment for a joint problem (e.g. hips, knees, and ankles) has to really watch out for. In other words: an orthos path is a therapeutic path-- in this case in respect of one's spiritual conditioning rather than their physical conditioning.

404) Heb 12:14a . . Pursue peace with all men,

The word for "peace" is eirene (i-ray'-nay) and means not only a lack of strife, but also the presence of prosperity; which implies always seeking the good of others rather than only your own.

People of peace are in an advantageous category.

Matt 5:9 . . Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

/

Upvote 0

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
405) Heb 12:14b . . and pursue sanctification, without which no one will see the Lord.

The Greek word translated "pursue" is sometimes translated persecute; which implies persistence, doggedness, and/or stalking.

Holiness-- a.k.a. piety --is really not all that difficult to obtain. It's just a matter of complying with Christ's wishes; which we've been listing right here day by day on this very thread.

The word "see" is somewhat ambiguous. It can relate to physical eyesight and it can also relate to mental perception. I'm inclined to believe it's related to mental perception in this case.

As an allegory: at one time I had cataracts in both eyes. As a result, my vision was really blurry because the cataracts scattered light, thus preventing the natural lenses in my eyes from bringing things into sharp focus. After surgery to replace the natural lenses with artificial lenses, I can now see sharply; i.e. my vision's clarity was greatly improved and I'm able to notice details that were virtually invisible before.

In other words; people with no interest in complying with Christ's wishes lack clarity; i.e. their perception of The Lord is fuzzy at best because there are details in view that they are unable to make out due to their mind's mental cataracts, so to speak.

John 14:21 . . .Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him.

406) Heb 12:15a . . See to it that no one comes short of the grace of God

The Greek word for "comes short" also means destitute; defined by Webster's as lacking possessions and resources; especially suffering extreme poverty.

I think it's pretty much a given that there are always going to be members in every congregation that are spiritually destitute. The idea here is that their spiritual destitution not be due to negligence.

In other words, the spiritual element in congregations should take it upon themselves to make an effort to be sure that the non spiritual element at least knows how to obtain the grace of God, i.e. congregations are responsible to police themselves, so to speak, rather than leave this aspect of church life entirely up to ministers.

The answer to Cain's question "Am I my brother's keeper?" was NO to his way of thinking, but it's supposed to be YES to the spiritual Christian's way of thinking.

/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
407) Heb 12:15b . . that no root of a bitter plant, sprouting up, causes trouble, and by it many be defiled;

It's interesting the author didn't say "seed" rather than root. The seeds of noxious plants are prevalent: they're everywhere at all times; like cold germs. Farmers, gardeners, and landscape maintenance personnel have to stay alert for those that germinate and hit them with a shot of herbicide to keep them under control. Left unchecked, those noxious plants will dominate the surface of the soil and muscle out the plants you want to keep.

One example of a "root of bitterness" is heresy; which is defined as a belief or opinion that does not agree with the official dogma of a particular religion; viz: an heretic is a dissident. They don't defect and go outside; no, they remain inside and stir up discontent with the hierarchy and campaign for reform. Those kinds of church members are invasive species that have to be dealt with in a summary manner lest they succeed in destroying a church's unity.

A toxic root that's far more common is tolerance. For example: it's very easy to get used to someone's profanity, vulgar language and/or off-color humor to the point where we think it's acceptable Christian behavior and start doing it ourselves because there's no one to say otherwise.

Another toxic root is political activism; for example civil rights and/or Native American affairs. If somebody wants to get involved in that sort of thing, more power to them as long as they do it on their own dime and on their own time. But God forbid they use their church as a soap box because that is definitely inappropriate.

408) Heb 12:16-17 . . that there be no immoral or secular person like Esau, who sold his own birthright for a single meal. For you know that even afterwards, when he desired to inherit the blessing, he was rejected, for he found no place for repentance, though he sought for it with tears.

Webster's defines "secular" as not overtly or specifically religious, viz: irreverent, which can be roughly defined as having little or no respect for sacred things.

Esau is a good example of the limits of God's patience. Another example is located at 1Cor 11:27-30

I think it's nigh unto impossible to fix all the secular people attending churches, but at least they can be warned of the consequences so they don't go around with the false assumption that God is flexible with their behavior. Same goes for the immoral people.

A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong;
Gives it a superficial appearance of being right.

(Thomas Paine)

/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
409) Heb 12:25-29 . . See that you do not refuse Him who speaks. For if they did not escape who refused Him who spoke on Mt. Sinai, much more shall we not escape if we turn away from Him who speaks from heaven, whose voice then shook the earth; but now He has promised, saying: Yet once more I shake not only the earth, but also heaven.

Jehovah is sometimes called the god of the second chance. Well; this epistle is basically an open letter to the Jews so it's appropriate to remind them that their ancestors, as a corporate body, failed to take advantage of their advantages and ended staring down the wrong end of a rifle barrel, so to speak. The Jews of today are in the very same danger.

"Yet once more" indicates the removal of those things that are being shaken, as of things that are made, that the things which cannot be shaken may remain. Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us have grace, by which we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear. For our God is a consuming fire. (Heb 12:27-29)

410) Heb 13:1 . . Let brotherly love continue.

Brotherly love is way different than neighborly love. Brothers are kin, while neighbors are outsiders; ergo: one's kin in Christ should always have the priority when forced to make a choice between a brother and a neighbor. The directives are different too. Christians love their neighbors as they love themselves (Matt 19:19) while loving their brothers as Christ loves them (John 13:34).

411) Heb 13:2 . . Do not neglect to be hospitable with strangers; for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it.

Inviting strangers into one's own home could easily result in the murder of your entire family, along with the theft of your belongings. So, I'm thinking Heb 13:2 is not saying that; rather, it's talking about congregational homes; viz: churches.

I think it's very important to make non members-- visitors --feel at home in church: make them feel welcome to return. Not only is that the neighborly thing to do, but you just never know if that next stranger through the door was guided there by providence and has the potential to increase your church's spiritual value to God. I say that because the Greek word for angels doesn't necessarily indicate celestial beings.

412) Heb 13:3 . . Remember prisoners, as though in prison with them; and those who are ill-treated, since you yourselves also are in the body.

"the body" isn't referring to the overall, worldwide Christian fraternity. No, it's a specific human body: the one in which Christ was crucified.

Eph 5:30-32 . .We are members of his body. "For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh." This is a profound mystery-- but I am talking about Christ and the church.

The prisoners mentioned are not just any jailbird in lock-up; but rather, it's limited to those who are "in the body" viz: in Christ.

1Cor 12:12-13 . . For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ. For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body

The tenor of the command is, I think, restricted to Christians mistreated and/or confined for their religious beliefs and practices rather than actual crimes. There's a lot of that sort of thing going on today in Muslim countries. America is well-known for its religious tolerance; other countries, not so much.

/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
413) Heb 13:4 . . Let marriages be respected: and the bed kept unsoiled; for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral.

A number of despicable behaviors are listed in the 18th chapter of Leviticus; and one of them-- listed right along with incest and LGBT --is adultery.

Rom 1:18 says that the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, and goes on to list not only LGBT as one of those ungodly, unrighteous behaviors worthy of the wrath of God, but also sexual impurity and the degrading of people's bodies with one another. Sexual impurity and degradation includes not only sleeping around and/or cohabitating, but also adultery.

Some Christians don't know the meaning of "respect" when it comes to marriage. It means to treat someone else's spouse as a sacred object. I've seen for myself how some Christians think it's terrible to trespass on private property and/or steal the silverware when they're invited over for dinner; but at the same time get just a bit too chummy with their host's spouse.

There's a popular song going around with the words "you don't own me". Well, if the "me" in that song is married then they very certainly are owned.

There is no Hebrew word for either husband or wife in the Old Testament. No, the English words for husband and wife are derived from the presence of gender-sensitive possessive pronouns; viz: her man and/or his woman.

Gen 2:24 . . Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.

The Hebrew word for "wife" in that passage is 'ishshah (ish-shaw') which just simply indicates a female; regardless of age. The possessive pronoun "his" makes the 'ishshah somebody's wife; same goes for the men.

Gen 3:6 . . And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

The Hebrew word for "husband" in that verse is 'enowsh (en-oshe') which just simply indicates a mortal; viz: a guy, a male; regardless of age. The possessive pronoun "her" makes the 'enowsh somebody's husband.

So the aspect of possession is a key element in marriage; and adulterers are nothing in the world but thieves. In point of fact, in 2007, when a suburban Chicago man, Arthur Friedman, found out his wife was cheating on him with another man named German Blinov, he was heartbroken. But unlike many other people, Friedman didn't "get over" it. Instead, he filed a lawsuit against Mr. Blinov for stealing the love and affections of his wife. A Cook County jury ordered Blinov to pay a total $4,802 to Mr. Friedman for stealing his wife.

While the idea of suing your wife's or husband's lover for stealing their affections might sound ridiculous, it is indeed quite legal to do so. Mr. Friedman used a lesser-known state law to attack and sue his wife's lover. The law is called the "alienation of affection" law. In fact, there are eight of these types of laws across the United States. It allows violated spouses to seek damages for the loss of love to a wife or husband's lover.

1Cor 7:4 . . The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does; and likewise also the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife.

A wedding vow then, could be said to be a transfer of ownership just like signing over the pink slip to a car or the deed to real estate. So then, always keep those possessive pronouns in mind when associating with somebody else's spouse; and keep your pea-pickin' hands off the merchandise!

/

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
414) Heb 13:5a . . Let your conduct be without covetousness;

There's a covetousness prohibited in the covenant that Yhvh's people agreed upon with God at Ex 20:17, which Christ reiterated at Matt 5:27-28. That kind of covetousness is nefarious. In other words, it doesn't just keep up with what the Jones have, it schemes to take what the Jones have instead of getting its own.

The koiné Greek word for "without covetousness" in Heb 13:5 is different. The Greek word is aphilarguros (af-il-ar'-goo-ros) which pertains to avarice.

Webster's defines "avarice" as: excessive, or insatiable, desire for wealth or gain; viz: greediness and cupidity.

Avarice is different from just wanting things like a new 4x4 Toyota SUV, a Marc Jacobs purse, a Panerai wrist watch, or a vacation in Hawaii. Avarice is the obsession to stockpile wealth like Ebenezer Scrooge. People like Scrooge don't accumulate money because they need it, nor for the sake of what it can buy. Extreme cases of avarice like Scrooge's are such misers that they can't even bring themselves to spend enough money to properly heat their homes, nor nourish themselves with decent food. And charity? Forget it. They view charity as one might view a pick pocket or a purse snatcher.

And then there's moguls who already possess all the wealth, property, and belongings they will ever need for the rest of their lives, but no, they just have to have more wealth, more belongings, and more property for the fame and prestige rather than for necessities; and if they have to walk over the bodies and souls of weaker folk to get it; they will.

For example when US President Donald Trump wanted to build a luxury golf course in Scotland, he persuaded the local government to condemn the homes and property of folk living in the area so he could then gobble up their land. (cf. 1Kgs 21:1-16)

415) Heb 13:5b . . and be content with such things as ye have.

Since the writer connected this directive with avarice, I would have to say his focus is on moderation; which Webster's defines as: reasonable limits and/or average; viz: avoiding extremes.

Some people's motivation for stockpiling wealth is fear of the future; a fear which evidences a lack of reliance upon God's providence.

Heb 13:5-6 . . He himself has said: I will never leave you nor forsake you. So we may boldly say: The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can Man do to me?

Well, I think the mortgage crisis in 2008, the stock market crash, the 401K meltdowns, the
ENRON collapse, the decline in oil production, the GM financial mess, the national debt, massive nationwide lay-offs, the proliferation of Islamic terrorism, and Mr. Bernard Lawrence Madoff easily demonstrate that Man can hurt me quite a bit.

I lost an appreciable amount from my retirement account when the housing bubble burst, and the market crashed due to the bankruptcy of Bear Sterns, Lehman Brothers, and AIG; thus proving the Lord's words that thieves break in and steal (Matt 6:49-21) and some of those thieves are managing banks and innocent people's investments!

However, in spite of all those threats to my peace of mind, I still believe in the Lord to get me through it all somehow. Well; so far; so good.

416) Heb 13:7 . . Remember your leaders, who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith.

The "leaders" of that particular verse refer to the ones who captained Yhvh's people over the centuries; e.g. Moses, Joshua, Gideon, Samuel, David. Elijah, Ezra, and Nehemiah; and the prophets Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Micah; et al. about whom the Bible says:

"Who through faith conquered kingdoms, administered justice, and gained what was promised; who shut the mouths of lions, quenched the fury of the flames, and escaped the edge of the sword; whose weakness was turned to strength; and who became powerful in battle and routed foreign armies." (Heb 11:33-34)

"Women received back their dead, raised to life again. Others were tortured and refused to be released, so that they might gain a better resurrection. Some faced jeers and flogging, while still others were chained and put in prison. They were stoned; they were sawed in two; they were put to death by the sword. They went about in sheepskins and goatskins, destitute, persecuted and mistreated-- the world was not worthy of them." (Heb 11:35-38)

"They wandered in deserts and mountains, and in caves and holes in the ground. These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised. God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect." (Heb 11:39-40)

There was once an advertisement for a beer on television that said, in so many words: "You only go around once in life. So grab all the gusto you can get." Well; Christ's believing followers should not be thinking like that. They don't go around once; the real gusto is yet to come.

/

Upvote 0

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
417) Heb 13:9 . . Do not be carried away by strange and varied teachings; for it is good for the heart to be strengthened by grace rather than foods, through which those who were thus occupied were not benefited.

The words "carried away" weren't translated from Greek words. They're arbitrary insertions; viz: they're words that a translating committee penciled into the English text so as to make the passage say what they guessed it's supposed to be saying. Arbitrary insertions are pretty common and nobody seems to fear they might be adulterating the Bible.

The word "strange" is translated from the Greek word xenos (xen'-os) which essentially refers to someone or something with which Christians are unfamiliar. For example; though most Christians are familiar with the dietary laws contained in the covenant that Yhvhs' people agreed upon with God, Christ's followers are under no obligation to comply with them for the simple reason that those laws are contractual. Well; Christians per se, are not contracted with God to comply with those laws. Hence those dietary laws amount to "strange" teachings; viz: they're unchristian.

Now, what I find curious about Heb 13:9 is the fact that the anointing spoken of in 1John 2:26-27 is supposed to steer those who have it away from deception while at the same time aligning them with the truth. So then, that being the case, then it's clearly possible for those with the anointing to ignore its guidance and buy into strange and varied teachings.

Another thing I should point out is that according to 1Thss 5:19, it's possible to quench the anointing's guidance; viz: snuff it out like one would snuff a candle so that it no longer produces light to illuminate one's path: and that's not a good thing.

1John 1:5-6 . .This is the message we have heard from him and announce to you, that God is light, and in Him there is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.

/

Upvote 0

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
418) Heb 13:16 . . And do not neglect doing good and sharing; for with such sacrifices God is pleased.

Doing good and sharing are bloodless sacrifices; and in point of fact are far more likely to be accepted by God than the death of birds and beasts.

In the first chapter of the book of Isaiah, God lambasted Yhvh's people for bringing all the correct, God-mandated sacrifices to the Temple. Why? Because those sacrifices were insulting while His people were not only crooks; but also lacking the milk of human kindness. The sacrifices that God preferred over and above the Temple offerings were the below:

Isa 1:17 . . Learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed, defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow.

Hos 6:6 . . For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings.

So "doing good" consists of doing what's right, and seeking kindness and fairness across the board for everyone; including the disadvantaged and the disenfranchised.

The US Government has been notoriously negligent in doing good by its chronic failure to honor its treaties with Native Americans. Not long ago I read in my local paper about 50 years of Federal foot-dragging in respect to honoring its commitment to provide tribes situated along the Columbia River with fishing villages to replace the ones that were obliterated due to construction of The Dalles dam. Well; God takes note of injustices; nobody is getting by with anything.

419) Heb 13:17 . . Heed those who lead you, and submit to them; for they keep watch over your souls, as those who will give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with grief, for this would be unprofitable for you.

Christianity is not a democracy. No; it is a theocracy with a monarch at its head-- a monarch who regards dissent and disobedience as heresy and insurrection.

1Sam 15:22-23 . .Has Yhvh as much delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices As in obeying the voice of Yhvh? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, And to heed than the fat of rams. For rebellion is as the sin of divination, and insubordination is as iniquity and idolatry.

If perchance Christ's believing followers should find themselves under church leadership that they cannot-- in all good conscience --respect, follow, and obey; and/or simply cannot give their whole-hearted, unreserved support; then it's time to abandon ship and move on rather than remain and rack up negative points against themselves that will most certainly erode their reward when they stand before the King for their personal evaluation.

/

Upvote 0

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
420) Heb 13:22-23 . . I urge you, brethren, bear with this word of exhortation, for I have written to you briefly.

The letter to Hebrews doesn't seem brief to me, but according to the author it's a concise version of his thoughts, i.e. to the point; free of elaboration and/or unnecessary details.

Christ's teachings as per the epistles are sometimes regarded as recommendations; viz: as advice, rather than law. That's not the way his thoughts are supposed to be taken; no, not at all. The writer of Hebrews didn't say his word is a collection of suggestions, rather, as exhortation; which Webster's defines as language intended to incite and encourage. In other words: the teachings in Hebrews are meant to be taken seriously rather than with a grain of salt; if you know what I mean.

Exhortation is taken from the Greek word paraklesis (par-ak'-lay-sis) which is an ambiguous word that not only means exhortation, but also solace; which Webster's defines as a source of relief and/or consolation; viz: encouragement. In other words; the letter to Hebrews is for the reader's own good; in more ways than just rules and laws.

It's interesting how various people perceive the Bible. Some see it as a threat to human safety and dignity; while others see it as a source of friendship and mentoring.

2Cor 2:14-17 . . For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being rescued and those who are perishing. To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance of life.

421) Jas 1:2a . . Consider it all joy, my brethren,

The epistle of James is another like the epistle of Hebrews whose target audience is the author's "brethren" viz: the twelve tribes of Israel; a.k.a. the Diaspora.

Jas 1:1 . . James, a bond-servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes who are dispersed abroad-- Greetings.

So then, the epistle is probably best interpreted from the perspective of a Jewish Christian rather than that of a Gentile Christian.

422) Jas 1:2b-4 . . when you encounter various trials knowing that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. And let perseverance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

It is so frustrating to open a package supposedly containing all the parts needed to assemble a complicated device only to discover that some of the pieces are missing. Well, a lot of Christians are like that. They might be really good at church attendance, while at work committing theft by using their employer's computers for personal purposes without authorization and/or in the habit of breaking the law by J-walking and driving too fast, drifting through STOP signs without bringing their vehicle to a complete halt; and given to outbursts of road rage. That's not a complete Christian; no, that's a half-baked Christian.

Not all tests of faith are intended for behavior modification; but rather, for proof-testing. Take for example Abraham's test in the 22nd chapter of Genesis; which he passed to God's 110% satisfaction.

Other testing is the kind that engineers do with things like machines, toys, cribs, printers, flashlights, guns, tools, pumps, motors, cars, etc. Before putting a new idea into production, they subject it to a series of tests to determine if it will perform under the circumstances for which it is designed. Nowadays, not all testing is destructive testing, but rather via computer models. But the purpose is the same: to reveal any weaknesses in the design and function of the part; which are then addressed and rectified.

Prv 25:4 . . Remove the dross from the silver, and out comes material for the silversmith

/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
423) Jas 1:5 . . If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.

Within the context of James' epistle, the phrase "any of you" pertains to the recipients of his letter; viz: the Diaspora-- specifically those among the Diaspora whose religion is Christianity. So then, the phrase "gives to all men" has to be interpreted with that in mind; which means that "all men" doesn't pertain to just any and all men on earth.

424) Jas 1:6-8 . . But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord : he is a vacillating man, unstable in all he does.

Christians should never begin a prayer by saying "God; if you're out there".

Heb 11:6 . . Without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is

Note the words "impossible" and "must" in that verse. A vacillating Christian who's not sure there's a God out there is an unbelieving Christian, and can just forget a reply from the Bible's God-- the instant the words of a vacillating prayer leaves somebody's lips it goes directly to the dead-letter office.

425) Jas 1:9 . . Let the brother of humble circumstances glory in his high position;

According to the Bible, relatively few prominent people make it to safety when they cross over to the others side.

1Cor 1:26-29 . . Remember, dear brothers and sisters, that few of you were wise in the world's eyes, or powerful, or wealthy when God called you. Instead, God deliberately chose things the world considers foolish in order to shame those who think they are wise. And he chose those who are powerless to shame those who are powerful. God chose things despised by the world, things counted as nothing at all, and used them to bring to nothing what the world considers important, so that no one can ever boast in the presence of God.

With precious few exceptions, just about every notable personality on parade is, and has been, going to Hell-- just about everybody in Congress, everybody in the White House, everybody in show business, every singer, every musician, every dancer, everybody in the publishing business, every billionaire, every millionaire, every corporate CEO, every celebrity, every Nobel Prize winner, every super model, every astronaut, every professional athlete, every Miss America, and every news anchor-- just about --because when you strip away their titles, their abilities, their looks, their popularity, their accolades, their achievements and their accomplishments; and stand them before God naked; people are only flesh and blood creatures; they're little more than naked apes-- human wildlife whose destiny is death akin to a foundry worker falling into a vat of molten iron as per Rev 20:10-15.

What is this "high position" that James wrote about? Well, I can think of no higher position than being legal kin to the Bible's God and a family member around the table in His own home. In my book, that beats an invitation to the White House any day of the year.

The koiné Greek word for "glory" in Jas 1:9 is kauchaomai (kow-khah'-om-ahee) which means: to vaunt; which Webster's defines as: to make a vain display of one's own worth or attainments; viz: to brag; to call attention to with pride and often boastfully.

/

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
426) Jas 1:10 . . but the rich should glory in that he is made low:

Jesus once remarked that it's easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

The rich generally get above-average respect from the world due to their riches, but God isn't influenced by wealth. No, with God wealth gets no red carpets, no comps, and no VIP preferences; everyone is a commoner.

When the rich come before God with hat in hand and their heads down low instead of held up high, then they have done something worthy of an attaboy because that is a really, really big accomplishment for pampered people accustomed to better.

427) Jas 1:13 . . No one who wants to do wrong should ever say: God is tempting me. God cannot be tempted to do wrong, and He never tempts anyone else to do wrong either.

Human nature has a dastardly propensity to blame others for its own faults. A prime example is right in the beginning of the Bible in the book of Genesis. Adam blamed the woman God gave him for his part in eating the forbidden fruit (Gen 3:12) and Eve blamed the Devil for her part in the act (Gen 3:13). It takes really big men and women to admit their culpability and say: The buck stops here! No recriminations!

However, though God tempts no one to evil, He does put certain ones through the ringer to see what they're made of-- even His own kin --to test and/or prove their resilience to temptation; e.g. the Lord himself.

Matt 4:1 . . Then was Jesus led up of The Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the Devil.

Heb 5:7-8 . . While Jesus was here on earth, he offered prayers and pleadings, with a loud cry and tears, to the one who could protect him from death. And God heard his prayers because of his reverence for God. So even though Jesus was God's son, he learned obedience from the things he suffered.

In other words, a truly righteousness person retains their innocence in the presence of temptation.

Criminals often gripe about entrapment when the cops catch them red handed in a sting. But if the crooks were truly righteous, entrapment wouldn't work on them.

Another popular excuse is enabling. For example some folks insist it's God fault that Adam and Eve tasted the forbidden tree because He put it in the garden where they could find it.

President Clinton was once asked in an interview why he messed around with Monica Lewinski. He answered: Because I could.

And alcoholics blame their habit on genetic predilection.

I once heard it said that locks were invented to keep an honest man honest. (chuckle) I think there's a lot of truth in that statement.

Jas 1:14-16 . .Temptation comes from the lure of our own evil desires. These evil desires lead to evil actions, and evil actions lead to death. So don't be misled, my dear brothers and sisters.

/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
428) Jas 1:19 . . Let everyone be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger;

Anger per se isn't evil; I mean after all, the Lord himself wasn't immune to anger (Mark 3:5). And neither is the Bible's God immune to anger. (Ex 4:14, Num 11:1, Rom 1:18, Rom 2:8)

Non-sinful anger can be a valuable tool if it's administered intelligently. However, human anger is often spontaneous, impulsive, unfair, unjustified, inappropriate, irrational, unnecessary, controlling, violent, emotional, petulant, selfish, and reactive.

Jas 1:20 . . for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.

429) Jas 1:21 . .Therefore, get rid of all moral filth, and the evil that is so prevalent; and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.

"moral filth and evil" in this case pertains especially to the wrong kind of anger; which only leads to more and more actions the likes of which the Lord cannot approve.

Christians are sometimes victims of a sort of knee-jerk reflex whenever they encounter a word like "save". The koiné Greek word for it is sozo (sode'-zo) which is another ambiguous word that can mean save, rescue, protect, and/or spare.

Ambiguous words are not only a nuisance at times; but worse, they can be misleading. James isn't talking about saving yourself from Hell and eternal suffering by eliminating "all moral filth". No, that part of a believer's association with God is past tense rather than future (John 5:24, Rom 6:3, Rom 6:6, Gal 2:20, Col 3:3, 1Thes 1:10, 1Thes 5:9, 2Tim 1:9, Titus 3:5).

Gal 5:19-21 . . Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are . . hatred, contentions, and outbursts of wrath

People whose anger easily flares up are slaves to their anger and enjoy far less peace than somebody whose anger is under control: thus peaceable souls succumb to temptation with much less frequency than angry ones.

There's a guy up here in Oregon who founded a bread factory with his brother that became very successful. You might know it as Dave's Killer Bread. Well; Dave has rage issues. He was paroled from prison not all that long ago and his life was on easy street until he lost his temper and got in a bucket of trouble with law enforcement.

430) Jas 1:22 . . Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.

Some Christians need to hone-up on their spiritual grooming habits.

Jas 1:23-25 . . Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it-- he will be blessed in what he does.

I believe that "the perfect law that gives freedom" is the whole Bible from cover to cover; as Paul said; "For whatever was written in earlier times was written for our instruction, that through perseverance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope" (Rom 15:4).

He also told his friend Timothy that all Scripture is inspired by God, and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work. (2Tim 3:16-17)

Back in those days "all Scripture" was pretty much limited to the Old Testament. Today it includes the New Testament canon.

People who make a life-long habit of studying the Bible from cover to cover for its spiritual content can't help but be improved by it a least a little bit. The easiest, and the best way I know to do this is by listening to a ½ hour program on radio called Thru The Bible; hosted by a now-deceased minister named J.Vernon McGee. His program takes five years to go through the entire Bible practically verse by verse. The program loops; viz: when McGee gets to the end; the program starts all over again. His method is pretty cool. When he gets done with an Old Testament book, he starts one in the New Testament, and vice versa. Program information is online at TTB.org

/

Upvote 0

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
431) Jas 2:1 . . My brethren, have not the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ-- the Lord of glory --with respect of persons.

The koiné Greek word for "respect of persons" is prosopolepsia (pros-o-pol-ape-see’-ah) which means: partiality.

Webster’s defines "partiality" as: partisan, prejudiced, biased, and/or granting one person more value as a human being than another in regards to particulars like age, race, gender, looks, size, education, intellect, bank account, career, clothing, popularity, neighborhood, and social status.

Jas 2:2-4 . . For instance, suppose someone comes into your meeting dressed in flashy clothing and expensive jewelry, and another comes in who is low-income and dressed in shabby clothes. If you give special attention and a good seat to the rich person, but you say to the poor one, "You can stand over there, or else sit on the floor" --well, doesn’t this kind of discrimination show that you are guided by wrong motives?

When I first began attending church as an adult back in the decade of the 1970's, my wardrobe consisted entirely of shirts and trousers that I bought on the cheap at Value Village-- a popular second hand store on the west coast the same as Salvation Army and Goodwill.

I never told anybody where I shopped, although I've no doubt that some of the folk I encountered in church could tell that my fashions were a tad out of date because there were some upper income people attending that looked a whole lot nicer than me; but I figured: what the hay; I had as much right to attend in my previously-owned clothing as they did in their untainted high-end threads. Some of them had gold watches too while I sported a simple Timex with an imitation leather strap; and I drove an aging 1968 VW Beetle that needed paint. You know, looking back on that era, I sometimes wonder how many people avoided me without my knowing it because of all that.

432) Jas 2:12 . . So speak and so act, as those who are to be judged by the law of liberty.

The "law of liberty" includes, but isn't limited to, loving your Christian brother as Christ loves him (John 15:12). So then, treating a low income believer with less regard than a high income believer fails to fulfill the law of liberty.

Php 2:3-4 . . Do not be conceited, nor regard yourself as better than others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than you.

There were these four 20-something girls in the singles group at the church where I met my wife, who were a little clique of fashion-conscious females that never associated with anyone but themselves. One of the guys, disgusted with their elitist attitudes, named them the Holy Four. (chuckle) That label was certainly apropos. Those four girls were so into themselves that they were of no earthly use to anyone; and I never saw one of them with a boy; no doubt because nobody was good enough for them. It was kind of ironic in a way. All the normal girls were popular with the boys while the boys kept their distance from the four stuck-up fashion mavens. I never once saw them in mixed company.

One evening, as I walked down the aisle in church to find myself a seat, I attempted to cordially greet one of the Holy Four walking past me in the opposite direction. Ms. Fashion Statement didn't even so much as look in my direction or utter a single sound. All she did was reach up to one of her shoulders, the one that was towards me, and execute a brushing gesture with her fingers. Can you imagine somebody in a church that represents Christ practicing that kind of snobbery? Unthinkable. (cf. Luke 7:36-47)

Leafing through the September 2009 issue of VOGUE, I couldn't help but notice that the photographers posed many of their models with the most assertive, arrogant, confrontational, and indifferent expressions and postures imaginable. What in God's name is with that industry anyway? Some of the VOGUE models reminded me of the hostile extras in the INXS 1988 rock video of "The Devil Inside". The Holy Four no doubt regarded VOGUE as their Bible. Well, that was over thirty-two years ago as of this writing. All four of those snob-ettes are now old enough to be grandmas. I can't help but wonder if they aren't still trying to fit into fashions appropriate for 20-somethings. (chuckle) They say time and tide wait for no man. Well, neither does the aging process.

/

Upvote 0

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
433) Jas 3:1 . . Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, for you realize that we will be judged more strictly.

Most internet Christian forums encourage discussion, but people oftentimes use the forums not for discussion; but as a pulpit for preaching and teaching: apparently not realizing that when they preach and teach on a world-wide venue, they have appointed themselves to speak for God. Well; that's risky because should their preaching and teaching misrepresent God, and many do, they'll have to answer for it.

I've seen people actually boast of leading a Sunday school class; as if the position were an achievement. Let me warn those people about something. If they accept a position to teach Sunday school for the prestige, their heart is definitely in the wrong place; they are not fully aware of just how frightening a responsibility it is to stand in for Christ.

434) Jas 3:13-18 . .Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom. But if you have bitter rivalry and selfish ambition in your heart, do not be arrogant and so lie against the truth. This wisdom is not that which comes down from above, but is earthly, natural, demonic. For where rivalry and selfish ambition exist, there is disorder and every evil thing. But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of compassion and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy. And the seed whose fruit is righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.

The "seed whose fruit is righteousness" is oftentimes not sown in peace on internet forums; nor is it sown on internet forums by people who make peace. It's sown by flaming, competitive, assertive, confrontational people-- toxic, impulsive, mean-spirited personalities given to rejoinders, demeaning comments, recriminations and fault finding. And if there's a problem, it's never them; no, you are the problem, and for them; turning the other cheek is no longer in vogue.

Those kinds of people do not like to be wrong, nor can they even think of themselves as wrong, nor are they likely to admit when they're wrong because they're really not all that interested in the truth; but only in defending their version of the truth; viz: their truth is far more important to them than even the God's truth; and should you not accept their truth, then it's because you have no understanding and need to come to your senses. These people are neither wise nor gentle. They'll ride rough-shod over your feelings like a skate-boarder barreling through Autumn leaves on the sidewalk. It's just awful how little they care for the injuries their attitude and their choice of words cause others.

People who take it upon themselves to teach, preach, and/or discuss the Bible on internet forums ought to be sensible, and they ought to exemplify the Gospel. They can't be doing it for the prestige, showing off, impressing their friends, and/or competing with a rival. They have to be honest and forthright. They have to have a heart, they have to be dedicated and reliable: they cannot be vacillating, they have to practice what they preach, and they cannot be sarcastic, obtuse, difficult, contrary, quarrelsome, snobby, pretentious, demeaning, domineering, despotic, assertive, confrontational, stubborn, pernicious, or pugnacious. Internet soap-boxers have to be someone people can trust, and someone with whom they may speak their minds without fear of reprisals instead of someone in whose presence everybody has to walk on egg shells all the time.

/

Upvote 0

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
435) Jas 4:7 . . So humble yourselves before God. Resist the Devil, and he will shun you.

The Devil has the tactical advantage of being completely invisible, and no more solid than the vacuum of space. So the human eye not only cannot see the Devil, but human touch cannot feel him either. The Devil can't be bumped into, he gives off no odor; he makes no sound, he takes up no space.

The Devil rules in the world of men primarily by punching human nature's buttons. There's your first clue in how to resist the Devil.

Gal 5:16-17 . . So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the inclinations of the flesh.

Living by the Spirit isn't mysterious. All it really means is doing as God wishes rather than permitting yourself to be manipulated by the impulses, proclivities, predilections, and propensities of human nature. You can't stop those forces of human nature from doing their thing any more than you can stop your lungs from demanding you take breaths. But they can be suppressed if one puts their mind to it.

1Pet 5:9 . .Take a firm stand against him, and be strong in your faith.

The Maasai of Kenya and Tanzania live in the midst of lion country. They are not afraid to hunt the lions. As a result, the beasts have learned down through the ages that the Maasai are not easy meat; but rather, a threat to their survival. Every once in a while a rogue lion will attack a lone Maasai, but as a rule, the lions pretty much keep their distance. Most animals are terrified of lions, but not the Maasai; no, they fight back, with weapons, and usually win. The lions know this and so shun the Maasai as potential prey.

The point is: since you can't fight the Devil on his own terms, then the best defense against his predation is to submit to God. Up to this point, I've listed 400+ Christian commandments that, if complied with, will go a long ways towards frustrating the Devil and causing him to keep his distance.

436) Jas 4:8-10 . . Draw close to God, and God will draw close to you. Wash your hands, you sinners; purify your hearts, you hypocrites. Let there be tears for the wrong things you have done. Let there be sorrow and deep grief. Let there be sadness instead of laughter, and gloom instead of joy. When you bow down before the Lord and admit your dependence on him, he will lift you up and give you honor.

In other words: Walk with God, and He will walk with you.

1John 1:6 . . If we claim to have fellowship with him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth.

Failure to walk with God renders a believer out alone after dark, and subsequently vulnerable to Satanic predation; which means they will be manipulated by the flesh rather than by the Spirit; which could ultimately lead to an untimely death. (e.g. Acts 5:1-11, 1Cor 11:17-30, Rom 8:13, 1John 5:16)

/

Upvote 0