Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
119) 1Cor 14:22a . .Tongues are for a sign

The sign isn't intended for the benefit of believers, but rather, for non-believers.

1Cor 14:22b . . not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

The purpose of any tongue is communication.

1Cor 14:6-9 . . Even things without life giving sound, whether pipe or harp, except they give a distinction in the sounds, how shall it be known what is piped or harped? For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle? So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air.

So if a tonguer is speaking a language nobody understands, they've actually created a barrier to communication; viz: a regression to the tower of Babel; and you can see for yourself how destructive that was to unity (Gen 11:1-9). Webster's defines "regression" as: movement backward to a previous, and especially worse or more primitive state or condition; viz: backwards thinking.

NOTE: Some people object to the use of a Webster's dictionary in Bible study; but this is the very reason why I highly recommend it's use to anyone who utilizes the English language when communicating with English-speaking peoples and/or reading Bibles translated from the ancient languages into English.

Since tongues are for the benefit of unbelievers, then it's de facto that a tongue should be a valid language that the unbeliever himself speaks and understands (cf. Acts 2:4-11). Somebody who exercises a tongue for any other reason has missed the point; and they're behaving like a little kid with a toy.

120) 1Cor 14:20 . . Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men.

121) 1Cor 14:27-28 . . If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

Tonguers are not permitted to speak all at the same time like a mob of howling political protesters. One of the reasons why I get so annoyed by talk shows like Today's Talk with Kathy Lee Gifford and Hoda Kodb, and ABC's The View is because everyone talks all at once like a bunch of undisciplined dogs barking and yapping in a kennel. And the way they interrupt each other back and forth before the other can even finish a sentence is one of the very things we teach children not to do. You'd think those supposedly mature adults grew up without supervision the way they conduct themselves in a conversation.

NO; tonguers are to take turns; speaking one at a time, rather than an entire congregation of tonguers barking and yapping like dogs in a kennel whenever they "feel the Spirit" moving them. And if there's no one to interpret, tonguers are not permitted to speak at all. If Christians the world over followed those rules, it would put the charismatics out of business in less than two weeks.

FYI: These directives regulating the exercise of tongues in a church meeting were written by the apostle Paul-- a duly authorized agent speaking on behalf of Christianity's Christ.

1Cor 14:37 . . If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of The Lord.

Therefore, when Christians proceed to defy the rules regulating the exercise of tongues, they are in shameful rebellion against the very lord and master of Christianity; and yet, ironically, many tongue violators still have the chutzpah to pass themselves off as the Lord's Spirit-filled followers. However; a follower can be defined as someone who gets in step and/or falls in line rather than going off-reservation to do their own thing.

1Sam 15:23 . . Rebellion is as the sin of divination; and insubordination is as iniquity and idolatry.

1John 1:6 . . If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth

/

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

WebersHome

Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
122) 1Cor 14:29-31 . .Two, or three, prophets should speak, and everyone else should weigh carefully what is said. If a revelation comes to someone who is sitting down, the first speaker should stop. For you can all prophesy in turn so that everyone may be instructed and encouraged.

True prophets channel God's thoughts; viz: they speak as the voice of God. People with opinions don't speak as the voice of God at all; they speak as themselves. True prophets are revelators; people with opinions are little more than activists; and if not kept in check they will quickly derail a Sunday school class and drag it off onto a tangent.

Though God endows certain Spirit-selected people in church with the gift of prophecy (1Cor 12:4-11) it is not He who endows them with the impulse to talk out of turn. Self control is their responsibility; not His.

1Cor 14:32 . . The spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.

123) 1Cor 14:34 . . Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak; but must be in submission (i.e. subordinate to the men)

It could be argued, with some merit, that this rule applies only to tongues and prophecy; but Paul goes further with this rule in a letter to his friend Timothy.

1Tim 2:11-13 . . Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve.

It's important to note that this is neither a gender issue nor an issue related to competence; it's an issue related to primogeniture. For that reason it's an act of contempt for authority when Christian women lead Christian men in a Christian congregation.

Q: Doesn't 1Cor 11:3-10 permit women to pray and/or prophecy just so long as they cover their hair?

A: There is a gender limit to that privilege. In other words: Christian woman are not allowed to pray and/or prophecy in the hearing of a mixed congregation; i.e. where Christian men are present.

Q: What about women like Anne Graham Lotz. Is she out of order?

A: Though women aren't permitted to speak to a mixed-gender Christian congregation, that doesn't mean they can't speak to a mixed-gender public forum, or in the street; or in a coliseum, or in a stadium, or in a convention center, or on radio and television.

The best place in church for women blessed with the Spirit's gift to teach for Christ is in a women's group; and if a man should invade a women's group led by a Spirit-gifted woman; I think he should be asked to leave.

Q: What about Deborah in the Old Testament book of judges? Exactly how was she an exception to this rule, if indeed she was?

A: Things are quite a bit different now with Christ at the helm, i.e. Christ's association with his church trumps Deborah's association with the Jews. I do not recommend using her, or any other woman in the Bible, as an excuse to defy Christ's edicts in matters pertaining to the governance of Christian congregations.

Paul appealed to "the law" as the basis for 1Cor 14:34. Normally when Paul speaks of the law he's referring to the covenant that Moses' people agreed upon with God as per Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy.

Exactly where in the covenant that women are forbidden to preach, or teach, or usurp authority over men in matters of religion, I don't know. However, it's quite obvious that the covenant is very sexist, i.e. women are not permitted in either the priesthood or the Sanhedrin.

NOTE: The law doesn't always speak explicitly about certain things. Sometimes the law's rules and procedures imply principles that we call "the spirit of the law". Not everyone is able to discern the spirit of the law. I think most of us would prefer having everything spelled out in clear language.

124) 1Cor 14:35 . . If women have questions, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.

What's an inquiring wife to do if her husband is spiritually inept? I'd suggest that women married to spiritually inept Christian men, and/or women married to non-Christian men, and/or unmarried women; seek assistance from one of the ladies in church known to be somewhat of a Bible expert and/or known for possessing the gift of prophesy. But for God's sake, don't seek assistance from another woman's husband; even if he's the pastor, or a deacon, or an elder; it's not only disobedient, but that's also how rumors (and other things) get started.

/

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Upvote 0

WebersHome

Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
125) 1Cor 14:37-38 . . If anybody thinks he's a prophet or spiritually gifted, let him acknowledge that what I am writing to you is the Lord's command.

If your Sunday school, or your catechism class, is being chaired by somebody who disagrees with The Lord's commands regulating women's subordination, or the use and abuse of tongues, and/or the speaking of prophecy; then believe me you have a serious problem because it indicates that your leader is humanistic rather than inspired.

126) 1Cor 14:38 . . But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant.

In other words: if somebody in a Christian church refuses to accept Paul as a duly authorized agent speaking for Christ; then Christians are under orders to ignore that person's opinion of themselves that they're a prophet and/or spiritually gifted.

127) 1Cor 14:39-40 . .Therefore, brethren, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues.

That rule applies only to people who actually have the gifts of tongues and/or prophesy because according to Rom 12:4-6, 1Cor 12:10, 1Cor 12:29-30, and 1Cor 14:5 not everyone does.

128) 1Cor 15:34 . . Come to your senses and stop sinning. For to your shame I say that some of you don't have the knowledge of God.

That directive is in connection with some of the Corinthians' insistence that dead people stay dead and will never recover.

1Cor 15:12 . . Now if Christ is preached that He has been raised from the dead, how do some among you say that there is no resurrection of the dead?

Apparently some of the Corinthians couldn't see that Christ's resurrection is evidence that it's possible for dead people to recover. However, a measure of that blindness exists even today among people who insist that Christ didn't rise from the dead with the body in which he was crucified. They insist he rose from the dead with a so-called glorified body. But if that were true, then Christ's prediction at John 2:19-22 would be easily invalidated.

The trick is: Christ's as-crucified body revived and was displayed to selected people for the space of forty days. But on the way up to heaven as per Acts 1:9, his crucified body was transformed into the glorious body displayed in a vision to Peter, James, and John at Matt 16:28-17:2.

According to 1Cor 15:51-53 and 1Thes 4:13-17, believers will undergo the very same process; viz: their remains will first revive as they were and then be transformed during the flight up to meet the Lord in the air. Pretty exciting.

/

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Upvote 0

WebersHome

Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
129) 1Cor 15:56-58 . .The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is The Commandments; but thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing discourage you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of The Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord isn't futile.

Though Mother Teresa put up a very convincing public image during those five decades of missionary activity in India, her private letters to spiritual counselors reveal that the poor woman was never really sure that Christianity's God even exists; and if He did exist, she was plagued with dread that He didn't particularly like her and might be quite disposed to condemn her. Though she never said so in public, there were was hardly ever a time when she didn't truly wonder if God wanted her in India in the first place.

Had Teresa's personality not been the D-9 Caterpillar tractor that it was, I think the celebrity nun would have given up in India after only one year. But as anyone who knew her will vouch, Teresa wasn't a quitter; no, she was a little bulldog, a survivor; and poverty was her dream venue. However, bull-doggedness is not what Paul is talking about in 1Cor 15:56-58; no, quite the contrary.

Just imagine if somebody had it in the back of their mind that they might be giving the Lord unreserved quantities of their time, talent, and resources in a thankless endeavor only to end up being condemned anyway as per Matt 7:22-23. Well, Paul assured the Corinthians that Christ's work on the cross, and in the grave, guaranteed that wouldn't happen to them-- their resurrection to a better life was in the bag; therefore they needn't fear that in the end their work for the Lord will be judged all for nothing.

Ironically; and at the time of his writing, the Corinthians were not all that spiritual. (1Cor 3:1-3). However; though their work in the Lord was being performed by Christians whose spirituality was basically substandard, they were still useful; which tells me that it isn't necessary to be a super saint before one can begin serving Christ. Just serve him as best you can and pay no attention to your location on the curve: keeping in mind that reliability counts more than quantity. Webster's defines reliable as "dependable".

130) 1Cor 16:1-3 . . Now about the collection for God's people: Do what I told the Galatian churches to do. On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made. Then, when I arrive, I will give letters of introduction to the men you approve and send them with your gift to Jerusalem.

The "God's people" to whom Paul referred were Jewish Christians whose church was located at Jerusalem. They were having it pretty rough in the early days of Christianity.

Lest somebody should get the wrong idea, that wasn't a tithe. Christ left it up to each individual in Corinth the amount that they felt like donating towards the Jews' relief effort.

2Cor 9:7 . . Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

Tithes are not gifts; no, tithes are demanded rather than donated out of the goodness of one's heart. I don't give the government my taxes; no, they take them from me by force of law; viz: I pay taxes against my will, both reluctantly and under compulsion; and I have absolutely no voice in the parentage of my income that they take. When it comes to taxes: I am not cheerful; no, I am grudging. Well; that is not the Christian way of giving. Christians have a faith that works by love, not by law. (Gal 5:6)

It would be interesting to take a poll among America's churches just to see, out of curiosity, how many have a program for assisting Jewish Christians over in the modern State of Israel.

/

• Prayers
Upvote 0

WebersHome

Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
131) 1Cor 16:13a . . Be on your guard, stand firm in the faith, be men of courage; be strong.

The koiné Greek word for "men of courage" is andrizomai (an-drid'-zom-ahee) which basically means to act manly; defined by Webster's as: (1) having qualities generally associated with a man; viz: strength and virility, and (2) appropriate in character to a man.

Well; we sure don't want the Christian women in church to become so-called strong women; i.e. she-males. Masculinity is definitely not appropriate in character to Christian women. We want them to stand firm in the faith in a womanly way, viz: feminine rather than masculine.

132) 1Cor 16:14 . . Do everything in love.

In order to protect their church from ecumenism, church managers simply have to be somewhat firm, assertive, and confrontational when the situation calls for it. If one isn't sure how to do this in love, then they might take some time to study 1Cor 13:1-8 with a commentary and/or read How To Win Friends And Influence People by Dale Carnegie.

133) 1 Cor 16:15-18 . .You know that the household of Stephanas were the first converts in Achaia, and they have devoted themselves to the service of the saints. I urge you, brothers, to submit to such as these and to everyone who joins in the work, and labors at it. I was glad when Stephanas, Fortunatus and Achaicus arrived, because they have supplied what was lacking from you. For they refreshed my spirit and yours also. Such men deserve recognition.

Paul and his associates depended pretty heavily upon the hospitality of local believers for accommodations and daily necessities. Believers do well to follow the examples of Stephanas, Fortunatus and Achaicus either by opening their homes to missionaries or by funding their stay in a motel and providing them with a rental car. You can usually arrange this through your local church. Believers who do so "deserve recognition." That doesn’t mean they should demand recognition, but there is coming a day of evaluation for believers when they'll be fully compensated. (1Cor 3:10-15, 1Cor 4:5, and Rev 22:12)

134) 1Cor 16:20 . . Greet one another with a holy kiss.

Kissing was a common form of greeting in the old world; and still is in the Middle East and certain parts of Europe; but here in America-- a super-sized racial/cultural amalgam of customs from all over the known universe --it's wise to dispense your kisses with discretion. Some of us don't even like to be hugged, let alone bussed; and if you should perchance try to make physical contact with an autistic Christian, you're liable to cause them a panic attack; so go easy on the touchy-feely stuff.

The people to whom Paul referred as "one another" are one's fellow born-again Christians. We're not required to kiss unbelievers. You can be courteous to them, yes (cf. Matt 5:47) but reserve especially warm greetings for your siblings; viz: those who've undergone a second birth as per John 1:12-13 and John 3:3-8, and thus share your adoption into God's home as per Rom 8:15-17.

/

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Upvote 0

WebersHome

Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
135) 1Cor 16:22 . . If anyone love not The Lord, let him be accursed.

There's nothing new in that command. It's been on the books every since the days of Moses.

Deut 6:4-5 . . Hear, O Israel: Yhvh our God, Yhvh is one. Love Yhvh your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.

Failure to love Yhvh in those days was curse-worthy.

Deut 27:26 . . Cursed is the man who does not uphold the words of this law by carrying them out.

One's love of Yhvh is evidenced by loyalty.

Deut 6:6 . .These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts.

That hasn't changed.

John 14:15 . . If you love me, you will comply with what I command.

John 14:21 . .Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me.

John 14:23-24 . . If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching . . He who does not love me will not obey my teaching.

John 15:14 . .You are my friends if you do as I wish.

Picture a mountain with many roads around the base heading towards the top. Well; Christianity accepts only one of those roads reaches the top; viz: the rest are dead-ends, terraces and cul-de-sacs, i.e. no outlets and nowhere to go except back down the mountain.

Now picture a huge pit, deep and wide, with many roads around the rim heading towards the bottom. Well; Christianity accepts that every one of those roads reaches the bottom; viz: there are no dead ends, no terraces, and no cul-de-sacs. In other words; people can get to hell any number of ways; but only one way to the new cosmos depicted at 2Pet 3:10-13 and the 21st chapter of Revelation.

Does a Muslim have to be a terrorist to be cursed? No; they only have to be a loyal follower of Muḥammad ibn `Abdullāh instead of a loyal follower of Jesus Christ; same goes for Atheists, Nonreligious, Baha'i, Buddhists, Chinese Universalists, Confucianists, Jains, Kabbalah mystics, Shintoists, Spiritists, Taoists, Zoroastrians, Jews, Sikhs, and Hindus-- they're all on a road to hell: they're cursed and there is nothing to be gained in arguing about it.

How many people am I talking about? Well, as of mid 2014, worldwide there were:

7,794,000 Baha'i
515,951,000 Buddhists
451,292,000 Chinese Folk Religionists
8,424,000 Confucianists
974,597,000 Hindus
5,567,000 Jains
14,142,000 Jews
1,673,590 Muslims
2,819,000 Shintoists
24,918,000 Sikhs
14,183,000 Spiritists
8,660,000 Taoists
196,000 Zoroastrians
828,594,000 Nonreligious
692,111,000 Agnostics and
136,483,000 Atheists.

The grand total for just the non Christian groups in that list (sans Kabbalah) is 5,359,321,000. The population of the world in mid 2014 was approximately 7,178,722,893 people. Those numbers on the list represented roughly 75% of the world; and that's not even counting all the Christians who are Christians in name only; e.g. Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses. It's my guess that the tares easily outnumber the wheat.

Matt 7:22-23 . . Many will say to me in that day: Lord, Master; have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them: I never knew you; depart from me, you that work iniquity.

/

• Prayers
Upvote 0

WebersHome

Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
136) 2Cor 2:5-10 . . The punishment inflicted on him by the majority is sufficient for him. Now instead, you ought to forgive and comfort him, so that he will not be overwhelmed by excessive sorrow. I urge you, therefore, to reaffirm your love for him.

The cause for which Paul wrote that section was a guy in the Corinthian church sleeping with his stepmother (1Cor 5:1). Paul had commanded the Corinthians to not only hold the man's feet to the fire, but also to ostracize him.

Some time had passed since then, and the man was apparently regretting his actions, and broken off the illicit relationship with his kin, so it was time to let him back into the group. No doubt the humiliation of it all had a tremendous impact upon his attitude-- probably upon the congregation's too because at first their attitude wasn't all that good about it either. (cf. 1Cor 5:2)

Here in America scolding and ostracizing a church member would probably just make them indignant rather than repentant.

137) 2Cor 2:9-11 . . If you forgive anyone, I also forgive him. And what I have forgiven-- if there was anything to forgive --I have forgiven in the sight of Christ for your sake, in order that Satan might not outwit us. For we are not unaware of his schemes.

One of the opposition's tactics is to create disunity in a church. Sure enough when that happens-- as when one portion of the congregation believes in judging and ostracizing while the other doesn't --people start taking sides and the church will end up divided into cliques and factions. According to the lord and master of New Testament Christianity, a house divided against itself cannot stand.

Paul mentioned that his extension of forgiveness was "in the sight of Christ". There exists some controversy as to the exact meaning but I think it's just saying that Paul's forgiveness of that man was done in accord with Christ's approval; to the end that the Corinthians all go along with it, i.e. stand together as one.

138) 2Cor 5:20-21 . . We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ's behalf: Be reconciled to God.

There's two different aspects to reconciliation. One is a criminal justice kind of reconciliation (Rom 5:6-11, Rom 6:3-11, 1John 2:2) and the other is a fellowship kind of reconciliation. (Gen 4:1-7, Gen 5:22-24, Gen 6:9, Gen 17:1, 1John 1:3-7)

For example, a man and his wife may not be speaking to each other; and sleeping in separate beds; but they're still married: they're just not getting along; in other words, they're out of fellowship with one another. It's God's wishes that His own walk with Him in fellowship while they're waiting for their departure; and the Corinthians weren't doing very well at it.

In order to restore diplomatic relations between themselves and their Father above, that congregation had to knuckle down and deal with sin in their midst in accordance with their master's wishes rather than their own. Compare Josh 7:2-26 where Yhvh's people couldn't win anymore battles until they first dealt with a sin in their midst.

It's ironic that a fully functioning Christian church like the one at Corinth was in need of reconciliation with God. How many Christian churches are just like that today? They pride themselves in being Spirit-filled congregations, yet their congregational attitude is completely out of touch with Christ. Yes, Christian congregations are oftentimes out of touch and need to come to their senses and reconnect or else they risk becoming like the church at Laodicea where the central figure of Christianity is depicted outside the building banging on the door trying to get someone's attention to let him in. (cf. Rev 3:14-22)

139) 2Cor 6:1-2 . . As God's fellow workers we urge you not to receive God's grace in vain; for He says: In the time of my favor I heard you, and in the day of salvation I helped you. I tell you, now is the time of God's favor, now is the day of salvation.

Some of Christ's followers are sort of on hold as they look forward to God's patronage and providence after they die; but Paul says you can lay hold of those benefits now. In other words: the cross not only qualifies people for Heaven, but also for obtaining God's earthly patronage and providence. However, that earthly aspect of the plan of salvation comes with a string attached-- obedience.

John 15:1-7 . . No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.

Nobody really wants to be a stick of ol' dried up yard debris, but that's what happens when Christ's followers go off-reservation and follow their own noses instead of walking in the light.

John 14:23-24 . . When somebody loves me, they will obey my teaching; and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.

In other words: according to the Father's testimony as an expert witness in all matters pertaining to fellowship: a Christian not obeying Christ has disassociated themselves from both Christ and his Father (2John 1:9). But they aren't lost; they're just lapsed.

/

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Upvote 0

WebersHome

Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
140) 2Cor 6:14-18 . . Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? and what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? and what agreement hath the temple of God with idols?

. . . for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

That commandment clearly forbids intermarriage between Christians and non-Christians; e.g. Chelsea Clinton and Marc Mezvinsky. Failure to comply with those instructions is not only grossly disobedient, but it's unwise and can have tragic results; for example:

Gen 6:1-2 . .When men began to increase in number on the earth and daughters were born to them, the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose.

If we assume that the "sons of God" were believers and the "daughters of men" were not; then it would appear that back in Noah's day, believing men threw caution to the wind and built themselves harems of unbelieving women. What happened to those believing men when it came time for the Flood? Well, for one thing; they had lost their piety.

Gen 7:1 . .The Lord then said to Noah: Go into the ark, you and your whole family, because I have found you righteous in this generation.

None of the other sons of God in that day were righteous; hence they weren't invited aboard the ark. All of those men-- whose wives were chosen based solely upon sex appeal sans any spiritual prudence whatsoever --perished in the Flood right along with their infidel wives and children. Let that be a lesson to you.

1Cor 10:11-12 . . Now all these things happened to them as examples, and they were written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages have come. Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall.

It is definitively not wise to make yourself one flesh with an unbelieving spouse. It's a proven tactic for watering down, compromising, and even extinguishing Bible beliefs and practices (e.g. Num 31:7-16). Solomon found that out the hard way; but too late. (1Kgs 11 & 12)

In a mixed relationship-- one a born-again Christian and the other not --the born-again Christian will be forced to compromise their convictions in order to keep the relationship going. Compromise in the area of spiritual values is not a good thing for born-again Christians who wish to be Christ's followers. It will quickly cool their love for Christ and quite possibly result in the Lord calling them on the carpet for being tepid; which Webster's defines as lacking in passion, force, or zest, and/or marked by an absence of enthusiasm or conviction.

Most people want love, romance, companionship, and a family of their own. According to Gen 1:27-28, and Gen 2:21-24, those things are Divine blessings, they're perfectly normal, nothing to be ashamed of; nor is there anything intrinsically naughty or sinful about them. But a believer has to be self controlled, and not permit their base nature to make them lose their heads and ruin their chances for happiness.

Adult dating is where it starts. And adult dating isn't harmless. It leads to other things, and it leads into commitments and promises that are not easily reneged. The end result of adult dating is ultimately marriage and children (quite possibly illegitimate children). Whose religion will prevail in the marriage? Whose religion will be taught to the children? The believer's or the infidel's? And ultimately, who will get the children's souls-- God, or the Devil?

Some couples try to accommodate each other's beliefs by teaching their children the concepts of both ideologies. For example, a marriage between a Buddhist and a Christian. The children are given a choice between the Dharma and the Bible; and between Siddhartha Gautama and Christ. That may seem like a good idea, but it only creates confusion in the minds of the children. Why are mom and dad not in agreement? Whose ideology is right? Can both be right? Does it mean that one ideology is just as good as the next?

Teaching their children more than one system of beliefs and practices is out of the question for born-again, Bible-believing Christians because the Lord and Master of Christianity demands their exclusive devotion. It's always been that way; even for God's chosen people.

Deut 6:4-5 . . Hear, O Israel: Yhvh our God: Yhvh is one. Love Yhvh your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength.

Mark 12:28-31 . . One of the scribes came and heard them arguing, and recognizing that he had answered them well; asked him: What commandment is the foremost of all? Jesus answered: The foremost is "Hear, O Israel! The Lord our God is one Lord; and you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength."

I think there's a pretty good number of insubordinate Christians out there who are essentially heathens and don't know it. (1Sam 15:22-23)

So far I've only talked about marriage; but 2Cor 6:14-18 also targets ecumenism; which can be roughly defined as an ideology that believes everyone's a Christian if they say so. Okay, fine, everyone's a Christian if they say so; but do all believe in intelligent design? No. Is everyone in the same denomination? No. Do all believe that Christ's crucified body revived? No. Do all believe in a literal hell? No. Do all believe in something called once saved always saved, a.k.a. eternal security? No. So be careful out there. Those are potentially serious missteps.

/

• Prayers
Upvote 0

WebersHome

Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
141) 2Cor 7:1 . . Since we have these promises, dear friends, let us cleanse ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of deference to God's wishes.

Webster's defines "deference" as affected and/or ingratiating regard for another's wants. Deference is the opposite of resistance, rebellion, defiance, indifference, and stubbornness.

Contaminations of one's body would include things like drug addiction, alcoholism, adultery, promiscuity, gluttony, eating blood, etc.

Contaminations of one's spirit likely refers to one's mind and so would include certain kinds of entertainment; i.e. books, music, art, and movies; viz: things that are seen with the eyes and/or heard with the ears.

The promises are those listed at 2Cor 6:14-18.

142) 2Cor 8:11-15 . . If the willingness is there, the gift is acceptable according to what one has, not according to what he does not have. Our desire is not that others might be relieved while you are hard pressed, but that there might be equality. At the present time your plenty will supply what they need, so that in turn their plenty will supply what you need. Then there will be equality, as it is written : He who gathered much did not have too much, and he who gathered little did not have too little.

That directive is an excellent passage for debunking the so-called Faith Promise; which is a popular scheme for tricking church members to pledge money they don't have while expecting God's providence will somehow provide it. That is not the Lord's wish. By means of Paul, the Lord says to give out of what you already have, not what you hope to have later; I mean: it is not His wish to copy ENRON's mark-to-market accounting practices and/or futures trading with pork bellies and soy beans.

143) 2Cor 9:7 . . Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

I have yet to meet a pressured giver who was cheerful about it. What Paul is saying there is that the Lord would prefer you kept your money than give it out of reluctance and/or resentment. And that goes for anything else on your list of charities. If your heart isn't in it, scratch it off your list.

Church managers can be very creative when it comes to laying guilt trips on their congregations in order to con money out of them. One morning at a church I was attending some years ago, a flyer was distributed to all the Sunday school classes that pointed to the Israelites in Exodus 35:4-36:7 as an example of pious generosity.

But what the flyer didn't point out is that those very same Israelites worshipped a golden calf and indulged in revelry while Moses was up on a mountain receiving the Ten Commandments, and also the very ones who refused to invade the promised land when God told them to; resulting in forty wasted years marching around in that awful Arabian desert till everybody over the age of twenty from the original crowd was dead except for just two guys: Joshua and Caleb.

Oh, and one of my very favorite scams is called Saving And Serving. In other words; the congregation is talked into loaning their church the money for an ambitious building program and promised to be paid monthly mortgage payments from the church's budget; which of course is funded by the congregation too. (chuckle) If that isn't the most pious of all Ponzi schemes ever!

144) 2Cor 10:7 . . If anyone is confident that he belongs to Christ, he should reconsider that we belong to Christ just as much as he.

It's amazing that any Christian's ego would be so inflated as to think themselves holier than an apostle, however, there are some people out there with a pretty bad case of conceit who are up to it. I can just hear the sneer in their voices as they think to themselves: "What's so special about him? He puts his pants on one leg at a time just like everybody else." That's the voice of one of the most destructive human passions there is: malicious rivalry. It got Abel murdered (1John 3:12) and it got Christ crucified. (Matt 27:15-18)

Mark 12:13 . . And they send unto him certain of the Pharisees and of the Herodians, to catch him in his words.

Just look at that! The Lord's enemies actually stalked him, hoping he would slip up and say something they could use against him. Who were the "they" in that passage? None other than Judaism's religious elite.

Mark 11:17-18 . . And as he taught them, he said: Is it not written: My house will be called a house of prayer for all nations? But you have made it 'a den of robbers. The chief priests and the teachers of the law heard this and began looking for a way to kill him, for they feared him, because the whole crowd was amazed at his teaching.

You know what kind of animal stalks? A predator. So people infected with malicious rivalry are nothing in the world but human wildlife: feral beasts.

145) 2Cor 10:10-11 . . For some say: His letters are weighty and forceful, but in person he is unimpressive and his speaking amounts to nothing. Such people should realize that what we are in our letters when we are absent, we will be in our actions when we are present.

Next to gossip, I'd have to say that rumors are another very effective method for influencing how others think. As Hitler's propaganda minister once said: "Repeat a lie often enough, and in time the masses will accept it as true". Sad but true: word of mouth oftentimes enjoys more acceptance than the facts of a matter.

The people who made those comments about Paul apparently never met him for themselves. They were just going by hear-say and their own imagination. That's not love; no, that's malice. Real love is protective; it doesn't seek opportunities to hurt someone's feelings, undermine their credibility, malign their reputation, find fault, nor denigrate them solely to satisfy a blood lust for bringing people down.

/

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Upvote 0

WebersHome

Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
146) 2Cor 10:17-18 . . But, let him who boasts, boast in the Lord. For it is not the one who commends himself who is approved, but the one whom the Lord commends.

It's unfortunate that some of Christ's followers have reached the point where the only Bible teachers they will listen to anymore are those with a résumé of accolades like doctorate degrees, books published, and positions held; as if any of that validates their usefulness to God's purposes. One thing we should always remember is that just because somebody is published, or that somebody was educated in a seminary, doesn't make them eo ipso right.

Christians relying solely upon accredited sources are setting themselves up for disappointment since it is God's Spirit who selects and empowers His own teachers rather than colleges and seminaries.

1 Cor 12:1 . . But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually: as He wills.

And sometimes the Spirit selects people to speak for God who seemingly have no business speaking for Him at all; for example:

Amos 7:14-15 . .Then answered Amos, and said to Amaziah: I was no prophet, neither was I a prophet's son; but I was an herdsman, and a gatherer of sycamore fruit: And Yhvh took me as I followed the flock, and He said unto me: Go, prophesy unto my people Israel.

Christ was a blue collar craftsman; a carpenter; which was a trade considered at the level of uneducated society in his day.

Mark 6:3 . . Is not this the carpenter . . . and they were indignant.

John 7:14-15 . . Now about the midst of the feast Jesus went up into the temple, and taught. And the Jews marveled, saying; How knoweth this man letters, having never learned?

Peter was a commercial fishermen; another profession that required no education.

Acts 4:13 . . Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were uneducated ignorant men, they marveled

It has been my experience that people who rely solely upon accredited sources do so because they have no choice; in other words; they're forced to because they lack the anointing described below.

1John 2:26-27 . . The anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him.

Christians need instruction; in fact instructors are a gift from Christ to his church (Eph 4:11-15). But instruction alone cannot condition a Christian's intuition to recognize the truth when they encounter it; viz: instruction alone cannot give a Christian a feel for the truth, nor can instruction alone break down a Christian's resistance to the truth. That's where the anointing comes into play. It assists Christians to recognize and to accept the truth when they encounter it; and assists them to sort it all out and make it click.

What that means is; the Lord's sheep should be able to recognize the truth and accept it whether it's coming from an accredited ThD or a common rank and file pew warmer; because the only person who can be safely trusted to know the right interpretation anyway is God's Spirit.

1Cor 2:14 . .The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are absurd to him : neither can he comprehend them, because they are spiritually discerned.

What that's saying is that even if a non-anointed Christian should run across a genuine Spirit-endowed teacher, they won't listen to him, no, they will reject the Spirit-endowed teacher. They have to reject him because the man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are absurd to him : neither can he comprehend them, because they are spiritually discerned.

I'm not saying there's something wrong with divinity school. I'm just saying that graduation from one doesn't eo ipso recommend somebody's spiritual competence since it's the Spirit's sovereign prerogative to select and empower the men whom God wishes to represent His son and that's why it isn't all that unusual for a man with his collar on backwards to have his head on backwards too.

147) 2Cor 13:5 . . Examine yourselves, whether you're in the faith; test your own selves. Don't you know of your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, unless you're all reprobates?

Peers and contemporaries tend to grade themselves on a curve, utilizing proprietary standards. I don't think that's what Christ is recommending because it's quite possible to be judged a saint by your peers and/or contemporaries while judged a devil by God (cf. 1Cor 4:3-5). But actually, Paul isn't speaking of conduct; no, he's speaking of something far more crucial-- Christ's residency inside one's physical body. His absence is literally a life-threatening condition.

Rom 8:9 . . If any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

The spirit of Christ is also labeled "the spirit of His son" for example :

Gal 4:6 . . And because you are sons, God has sent forth the spirit of His son into your hearts calling out: Abba! Father.

Abba isn't a name; it's an Aramaic filial vocative. What that means is; when I'm out in the garage working alone and my son and his mother are in the kitchen talking about me, the noun "dad" merely indicates my son's father. But when my son wants to get his father's attention, and he calls out: Dad! Where are you? then "dad" becomes a filial vocative.

What that boils down to is this: the spirit of His son always compels Christ's sheep to call out to a father, never to a mother and the reason for that is actually quite simple. God's son never prays to his mother; but always to his Father; hence those inhabited by the spirit of the Father's son will do the very same thing.

That, by the way, is a pretty good litmus test. If somebody is comfortable praying to the Lord's mom or to a patron saint, it's a pretty good indicator that the spirit of the Father's son is not in them because His son would never do something like that; nor would he ever encourage others to.

/

• Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WebersHome

Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
148) Gal 1:8 . . But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

The koiné Greek word for "accursed" in that passage is anathema (an-ath' em-ah) which has to do with banishment and/or disassociation.

An application of this, within the epistle to Galatians, is 5:4 where it says:

"You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace."

Whenever Paul spoke of "the law" he was usually referring to the covenant that Moses' people agreed upon with God as per Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy. So, in a nutshell; 1:8 and 5:4 are speaking of people who sincerely believe that it's necessary to comply with the Ten Commandments to get to heaven.

149) Gal 5:1 . . Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

Let's say you tell a lie. Well; if you're covenanted with God to be truthful as per Lev 19:11; then the lie will shoot yourself in the foot because the covenant is contractual; viz: it obligates God to come down on you with a curse for breach of contract (Deut 27:26, Jer 11:3-4). He has to levy a curse against you or He himself would be in breach of contract.

Maybe you're a bit unreliable at honoring your commitments; but I assure that God is 110% reliable at honoring His. A cursory review of the last 3,500 years of Jewish history easily bears that out.

To view a menu of curse options available to God; just feast your glims on Lev 26:3-38, Deut 27:15-26, and Deut 28:1-69. I do not think it wise to yoke oneself to those curses.

FYI: There's basically two categories of commands in the Bible: binding commands and non-binding commands.

The commands in the Old Testament are binding commands; viz: Yhvh's people are under contract with God to comply with them; and He is under contract with His people to enforce them; which means that when Yhvh's people breach the contract by disobeying one of its commands; God is obligated to slam them with any and/or all of the covenanted curses listed at Lev 26:3-38, Deut 27:15-26, and Deut 28:1-69.

Christ's commands, on the other hand, are non-binding commands; viz: Christians are not under contract with God to comply with them; nor is He under contract with Christians to enforce them. So when a Christian disobeys one of Christ's commands; God is under no obligation to slam them with a curse. They might get slammed with discipline; but never with a curse.

Rom 8:1 . .There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

/

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Upvote 0

WebersHome

Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
150) Gal 5:2-3 . . Listen! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all. Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law.

The koiné Greek word for "man" in the above passage is anthropos (anth' ro-pos) a common word in the New Testament for humans of either gender. The specific word for males is arrhen (ar'-hrane) and/or arsen (ar' sane).

Modern females undergo conversion to Judaism by means of a ritual bath called Mikveh; which, for them, is equivalent to male circumcision. The exact process by which females in the Old Testament underwent conversion-- e.g. Ruth --is unknown.

I think it safe to assume that the circumcision Paul warned against was a label that included not only the male kind but also by whatever means that females in his day underwent conversion to Judaism.

Seeing as how the covenant that Moses' people agreed upon per Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy doesn't specify a God-given procedure for female conversion to Judaism, then I'd guess that just about any design would be sufficient so long as the ritual is conducted by someone authorized to do so.

151) Gal 5:13a . . You, my brethren, were called to be free. But do not use your liberty to indulge the base nature;

Christians are sometimes accused of practicing a religion that gives people a license to steal, so to speak. Well; that is very true to a certain extent because Christians do have immunity from any, and all, of the curses that Israel's covenant imposes on scofflaws as per Lev 26:3-38, Deut 27:15-26, and Deut 28:1-69. However, God prefers that Christians not do whatever they want; but instead do whatever He wants, In other words: Christ's followers have liberty to steal but they don't have a license to steal. (Rom 6:1-13)

152) Gal 5:16 . . I say then: walk in The Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the base nature.

Some years ago, in a boatyard where I was employed on Shelter Island in San Diego, I was listening to a young Christian boast of his dedication to Christ. So I asked him: What about the command to walk in the Spirit? How are you doing with that one?

Well, the brash, pleased-with-himself youngster admitted he didn't even know what that meant, let alone how to do it. (chuckle) In regards to "dedication" Mr. Super Saint hadn't even got to first base yet. (judging by the fact that was on a third marriage last time I checked, I'd have to say he never did get the hang of it.)

Anyway, there's nothing mystical about this. Walking in the Spirit is just simply doing what God wants rather than letting your natural impulses and/or your own thinking control your conduct all the time.

For example: item #1 contains these words: "Abstain from food tainted by idols, from promiscuity, from the meat of strangled animals, and from blood." When a Christian complies with those instructions; they're walking in the Spirit; but when they're ignoring those instructions and eating whatever they want and sleeping around without regard for God's feelings about it; then they're fulfilling the lusts of the base nature. It's just that simple.

153) Gal 5:25 . . Since we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

/

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Upvote 0

WebersHome

Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
154) Gal 5:26 . . Let us not be conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.

Webster's defines "conceit" as: excessive self-appreciation of one's own worth or virtue.

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with having strong core values and/or believing in yourself, but if you should find yourself somewhat indignant and/or resentful when others don't believe in you, or when they think very little of your core values; then watch out because that's a symptom of conceit, and it will hinder you from obeying the Lord's orders in regard to getting along with fellow believers.

The koiné word for "envy" is phthoneo (fthon-eh'-o) which means: hostile toward a rival, or towards someone believed to enjoy an advantage. In other words; we're talking about a competitive spirit-- not the good-natured, friendly kind but a malicious kind of competitive spirit that resents others doing better than itself, or more popular than itself, or more recognized than itself, or more admired than itself; viz; it's all about self.

Rivalry is a very destructive passion. It got Abel slain by his own brother, and it got Christ slain by his own people. Rivalry makes otherwise sensible people behave contrary to their own better judgment, and gets them embroiled in oftentimes unnecessary vendettas; e.g. gender rivalry and racial rivalry. Now those two there are very destructive social influences.

If none of the above describes you; consider yourself fortunate.

The koiné word for "provoke" is prokaleomai (prok-al-eh'-om-ahee) which means to challenge; viz: to get in somebody's face in an obnoxious, assertive, confrontational manner; which is a kind of behavior that prevents people from deserving identification with God's kin.

Matt 5:9 . . Blessed are the peaceable: for they shall be called the children of God.

155) Gal 6:1a . . Brethren, even if someone is caught in the very act of any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness;

The koiné Greek word for "trespass" is interesting. It can refer to willful misconduct and/or to unintentional misconduct. Seeing as how willful misconduct is dealt with harshly and summarily as per 1Cor 5:1-13 while in this situation gently, then I'd say Gal 6:1 is referring to unintentional misconduct; which doesn't merit a public flogging; but rather a quiet talk; and the more private the better in order to avoid embarrassing the unintentional offender.

Restoration does not apply to visitors; only to members on a church's roles; i.e. the congregation. The visitors' business is none of our business so don't go sticking your nose in it.

The Greek word for "restore" basically means to repair or adjust, viz: restoration applies to maladjusted Christians, i.e. the ones whose misconduct is habitual, and quite possibly detrimental to a church's overall health.

The restoration process is specifically the turf of "spiritual" Christians. In churches where people are conceited, assertive, confrontational, embroiled in petty rivalries, debating, quarrelling, and maybe even jostling for notoriety; the spiritual ones are obviously going to be as scarce as California Condors.

A spirit of gentleness precludes the use of bullying, intimidation, rage. yelling, demeaning comments, ugly remarks, brow beating, and such. Those kinds of behaviors aren't gentle, no, they're cruel.

/

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WebersHome

Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
156) Gal 6:1b . . each one looking to yourself, lest you too be tempted.

The Greek word for "tempted" is somewhat ambiguous. It primarily means to test; but can also mean endeavor, scrutinize, entice, and/or discipline.

I think what the restorers are being cautioned against is going about a right thing in a wrong way so that they themselves wind up taken to task for conduct unbecoming. In some people's minds, the end justifies the means so long as it benefits the so-called greater good. But that's Machiavellian thinking rather than Christian thinking.

In other words: the restorers need to tread lightly because if they go after an alleged offender like a lynch mob; then they themselves should expect to be seen by others as a toxic menace and a threat to peace and cohesion.

Confronting somebody in a holier-than-thou attitude is unacceptable too. Just because someone has been taken in fault does not make the jury somehow superior human specimens.

"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves." (Phil 2:3)

157) Gal 6:1-2 . . Bear one another's burdens, and thus fulfill the law of Christ.

It's human nature to shun people with problems so they don't drag us into a world of inconvenience and/or negativity. But that is not what I call fulfilling the law of Christ; which reads thusly:

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another. (John 13:34-35)

The love that is defined by "As I have loved you" is a kind of love willing to suffer inconvenience, shame, humiliation, embarrassment, and disgrace for the sake of another.

Christ's love isn't a fault-finding attitude; it's a supportive virtue: it doesn't only feel your pain, it gets involved in your pain. Church can be the loneliest place on earth when nobody cares enough about you to get involved in your pain; but instead would just as soon not know about it. Sadly, there is about as much love for one another in modern churches as there is amongst an audience of strangers at the movies.

I sincerely believe that a lot of that indifference has to do with modern churches just simply being too big and too busy.

158) Gal 6:6 . . And let the one who is taught the word, share all good things with him who teaches.

That verse is commonly interpreted as referring to providing a teacher with material necessities. Well; it can mean that; but the Greek words for "share" and "good things" are ambiguous.

I suggest that Gal 6:6 refers to feed-back; i.e. to tell the teacher how and/or in what ways the things you've learned from him have been a help to you.

Some teachers just like to hear themselves talk; while others would like what they say to be useful. Feed-back can be very encouraging to the latter.

/

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Upvote 0

WebersHome

Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-

159) Gal 6:7a . . Don't be deceived into thinking God is a silly old fool.

A silly old fool is a senior citizen that people know they can mistreat and/or take advantage of without fear of complaint, resistance, or reprisal.

People in our day and age are easily persuaded that God is harmless and that the Old Testament's version of God is no longer someone to fear since Jesus came along. But as God was capable of withholding blessing back then; He still is.

"A man reaps what he sows. The one who sows to please his flesh, will, of the flesh reap corruption; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life." (Gal 7b-8)

The koiné Greek word for "corruption" is phthora (fthor-ah') which means: decay; viz: decadence; which is saying that when Christians make a habit of indulging the propensities of their base nature; God withholds the fruit of the Spirit as per Gal 5:22-23; which consists of love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and temperance.

"If the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who indwells you.

. . .So then, brethren, we are under obligation, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh-- for if you are living according to the flesh, you must die; but if by the Spirit you are putting to death the deeds of the body, you will live." (Rom 8:11-13)

To "live" then has to do with the fruit of the Spirit; without which Christians become dead.

There's a parallel to this back in the book of Genesis in the story of the forbidden fruit. God warned Adam that he would die if he ate some of that fruit. The interesting thing is; God didn't' have to assassinate Adam in order to make good on the warning; no, God simply cut off Adam's access to the tree of life and let nature take its course.

/

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Upvote 0