The wages of sin is DEATH, not eternal torment in Hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
[Cognate: 2851 kólasis (from kolaphos, "a buffeting, a blow") – properly, punishment that "fits" (matches) the one punished (R. Trench); torment from living in the dread of upcoming judgment from shirking one's duty
Strong's concordance in a highly respected source. I think I'll stick with their definition.

"Respected" you say, and I absolutely agree. As a matter of fact, I still have four hardbound copies. But the first one is pretty much just a keepsake. My wife gave it to me on our first anniversary and I wore the covers off of it. But they're too cheap to think about rebinding. So I too respect it, but also realize it is not without fault. But if someone wants to put the blinders on they don't have to worry about all of its inconsistencies. It just makes people like me a little less interested in arguments from that mindset.

I can still call you brother Tigger, but we definitely aren't twins...:p And that's OK....because we never were twins to begin with...God would be bored if we were. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
C

C.O.Ioves

That explains a lot. Now tell me why people with greater Greek studies than you, still have translated the NT a thousand different ways? One just doesn't seem possible. So brag about your degrees if you must, but I'll not back down from that which has come from the teacher given from above....with a bit more authority than the counselors from below. You may be thinking what ARROGANCE right now...but I'm thinking what ASSURANCE.

I see you're another one of those persons who claim you don't need scholarship all you need is divine revelation and your interpretation is superior to any that was derived from scholarship and study.

AHHH my lexicon must predate yours since it is the Bauer , Arndt, Gingrich edition, not a mention of Danker. And I also have an 1856 original edition book by Thomas B. Thayer titled 'THE ORIGIN AND HISTORY OF THE DOCTRINE OF ENDLESS PUNISHMENT'. . . . You also might re-read your introduction in that Bauer/Arndt/Ginrich/Danker book just to find out how ridiculous your attitude is to think you are on some plateau I should bow down to. That's the part I highlighted in my book when I bought it in '73'.

I said nothing about anyone bowing down. I would appreciate some honest discourse without the personal attacks. Please tell me what is your basis for accepting what Thayer wrote, evidently without questions?

No, I should do what I have done. Studied those scholars who agreed with orthodoxy (like you've posted) as well as those scholars who didn't. Then I let the Spirit lead and guide me into the truth I now cling to. And, as best I can, I walk away from the "traditions and commandments of men"...which have given rise to those 666 denominations I mentioned earlier? I am not proclaiming perfection, mind you.

IOW you find writings which support your assumptions/presuppositions and claim divine inspiration like 666 nontraditional denominations.

I'm sure you stand on the Proverbs verse below, as do I. But I stand more proudly on the Isaiah one below it.

PRO 11:14 Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.

ISA 30:1 Woe to the rebellious children, saith the LORD, that take counsel, but not of me; and that cover with a covering, but not of my spirit,

Sorry I don't respond well to random scripture used to demean and insult rather than instruct.

Since you've proven nothing but why you are what you are. And it is an attitude of arrogance based on your superior education from indoctrinated men. So for me this is a waste of time talking and more

As if the so-called scholars you choose to follow were not indoctrinated. Oh I'm truly sorry you started this discussion by insulting me implying that I did nothing but blindly follow indoctrinated teachers. Guess you can't handle it when someone has a little education and will not be bullied and intimidated.

I truly bid you good will and trust God for both of us...and for both of our misunderstandings.

Upvote 0
C

C.O.Ioves

But true progression requires much reading...unfortunately. That's quite possibly why there is never any progression. Few have actually STUDIED both sides...to decide.

This is an interesting observation but the remainder of your post does not give any indication that you have studied both sides.

Matthew 25:46 contains an additional clue confirming the temporary nature of God’s judgment. The Greek word, translated “punishment,” is kolasis. William Barclay, world-renowned Greek scholar, translator, and author of the popular Bible commentary, The Daily Study Bible and New Testament Words, noted:
The Greek word for punishment here [Mt. 25:46] is kolasis, which was not originally an ethical word at all. It originally meant the pruning of trees to make them grow better. I think it is true to say that in all Greek secular literature kolasis is never used of anything but remedial punishment.6

This all appears to be a copy/paste from some source. How much of this is a C/P source and how much is your commentary?

Thomas Talbott, philosophy professor at Willamette University in Oregon and author of The Inescapable Love of God, explained:
According to Aristotle, there is a difference between revenge and punishment; the latter (kolasis) is inflicted in the interest of the sufferer, the former (timōria) in the interest of him who inflicts it, that he may obtain satisfaction. Plato also appealed to the established meaning of kolasis as support for his theory that virtue could be taught: “For if you will consider punishment (kolasis)…and what control it has over wrong-doers, the facts will inform you that men agree in regarding virtue as procured.” Even where a punishment may seem harsh and unforgiving, more like retribution than parental chastisement, this in no way excludes a corrective purpose. Check out the punishment that Paul prescribes in I Corinthians 5:5. One might never have guessed that, in prescribing such a punishment—that is, delivering a man to Satan for the destruction of the flesh—Paul had in mind a corrective purpose, had Paul not explicitly stated the corrective purpose himself (“that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus”). So as this text illustrates, even harsh punishment of a seemingly retributive kind can in fact serve a redemptive purpose.7-9
“And these will go away into everlasting [aionian] punishment [kolasis], but the righteous into eternal [aionian] life”(Mt. 25:46). Isn’t it ironic that the passage most often used to support everlasting punishment is in fact one strongly opposing it when accurately understood?

Are you sure that a Philosophy professor is a reliable source for questions about Theology? Same question how much of this is Talbot and how much is you?

Dr. Helena Keizer is a trustworthy authority on the definition of aiōn in ancient Greek literature, including the Bible in the time of Christ. Keizer published a 315-page doctoral dissertation titled: “Life, Time, Entirety – A Study of Aiōn in Greek Literature and Philosophy, the Septuagint and Philo.” Presented on September 7, 1999 in Holland, at Amsterdam University. Keizer stated:
“Olām and hence aiōn in the Biblical sense is time constituting the human temporal horizon.”29 “Our study has led to the conclusion that infinity is not an intrinsic or necessary connotation of aiōn, either in the Greek or in the Biblical usage (‘olām).”30 “To speak of ‘this aiōn’, its ‘end,’ and ‘the aiōn to come’ clearly lends to aiōn the meaning of a limited time.”31 “The following description of Gregory of Nyssa…makes a good finishing point for now: ‘Aeon designates temporality, that which occurs within time.’”32
I am pleased to say that Dr. Keizer has given me permission to share her book with others in electronic format.

What makes Keizer a trustworthy authority on the definition of aiōn in ancient Greek literature, including the Bible in the time of Christ? Dueling scholars. My scholar trumps your scholar. See the nine irrefutable Greek language sources I posted.

Terms for Eternity is another scholarly work on aiōn by David Konstan and Ilaria Ramelli. Konstan is the John Rowe Workman Distinguished Professor of Classics and Professor of Comparative Literature, at Brown University in R.I. Ramelli is Assistant Professor of Ancient Philosophy at the Catholic University of Milan, Italy. They agree with the conclusions of Dr. Keizer. They wrote:
“Apart from the Platonic philosophical vocabulary, which is specific to few authors, aiónios does not mean “eternal”; it acquires this meaning only when it refers to God, and only because the notion of eternity was included in the conception of God: for the rest, it has a wide range of meanings and its possible renderings are multiple, but it does not mean “eternal.” In particular when it is associated with life or punishment, in the Bible and in Christian authors who keep themselves close to the Biblical usage, it denotes their belonging to the world to come.” (Page 238)
These scholarly works are important, as the key defense of eternal punishment depends on this word meaning absolute eternity. For more on the meaning of aiōn, see our website: HopeBeyondHell.net; Further Study; Eternity, and Church History.

A Professor of Classics and Professor of Comparative Literature, and Assistant Professor of Ancient Philosophy, neither one has a degree in Theology. None of this does anything to negate the evidence I presented from nine unquestionable Greek language sources.

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Wow dude how can I make this clear? drstevej said on his first and only post quote "This thread is done". Not that he won the debate. He was referring to my post above his with the verse I posted.
Matt 25:46, "And these will go into everlasting punishment, but the just into everlasting life."
I reiterate. There is no reason to continue a discussion without progression.
Okay, don't continue the discussion. Don't listen when we say WE BOTH AGREE WITH MATT 25:46, we just disagree on the form the punishment takes.
Death is a punishment, death is eternal. Why do you think that Matt 25:46 closes the discussion? Is it simply because you haven't really thought about it?

This thread is done. Go away. There's nothing more to see here. You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here. This is not the thread you are looking for. Move along.

Upvote 0
N

n2thelight

Life and Death: The Two Polar Opposites

The apostle Paul summed up the whole matter of people’s reward for sin when he wrote:

ROMANS 6:23
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternallife through Christ Jesus our Lord.

Could anything be clearer than this text? The wages for sin is shown to be death, and eternal life is stated to be a gift from God, not something people already have. This is consistently expressed from Genesis to Revelation, notice:

MATTHEW 7:13-14

“Enter through the narrow gate, for wide is the gate and broad the road that leads to destruction and many enter through it, (14) but small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.”

JOHN 3:16
“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life

ROMANS 8:13
For if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live.

GALATIONS 6:8
The one who sows to please the sinful nature from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the spirit, from the spirit will reap eternal life.

PROVERBS 11:19
The truly righteous man attains life, but he who pursues evil goes to his death.

All these passages clearly describe the two separate destinies of the righteous and the unrighteous. The “righteous” are people who are in-right-standing with God because they’ve accepted his sacrifice for their sins, the “unrighteous” are those who are not in-right-standing with their Creator because they’ve rejected his offer of salvation. The former will inherit eternal life, whereas the latter will reap the wages of sin and be destroyed.

Yet those who adhere to the eternal torture doctrine mysteriously don’t accept this blatantly clear biblical truth. They don’t believe that the two polar opposites are life and death; they believe the two polar opposites are eternal life in heavenly bliss and eternal life in burning torment. Sounds ridiculous, doesn’t it? They may not phrase it in such an open manner, but this is what they actually believe when it comes down to it.

Eternal Life and Immortality – Only Available through the Gospel

The offer to receive eternal life as opposed to suffering everlasting destruction is what the gospel of Christ is all about. We see this plainly expressed in this passage:

2TIMOTHY 1:10

But (God’s grace) has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior, Christ Jesus, who has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel

Notice that life and immortality are only available through the gospel. What exactly is “the gospel?” The gospel literally means “good news.” Its main message is summed up in the famous passage John 3:16: “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” Note, once again, what is clearly being contrasted in these passages: In John 3:16 perish is contrasted with the gift of eternal life; in 2Timothy 1:10 death is contrasted with both immortality and life, which are said to be made available through the gospel. If the eternal torture doctrine were true, these verses would be contrasting eternal life and eternal life being tortured, or immortality and immortality in fiery torment. I realize this sounds absurd, but the bible would certainly speak in such honest, blatant terms if this teaching were true. Or do you think God would be misleading or ambiguous about such an important issue in his Holy Scriptures?

The reason the bible doesn’t speak in such a ludicrous way is simply because this doctrine of eternal conscious torment in not a biblical teaching. The above passage, 2Timothy 1:10, makes it plain that until Jesus was raised for our justification, the power of death was not destroyed and hence, immortality was not available to us – life was not available to us. This is because we are all sinners (see Romans 3:23 and Ecclesiastes 7:20) and therefore all deserve death, “for the wages of sin is death.” God cannot overlook this because he is perfectly just. One person cannot pay the penalty for another because both are sinful and deserve death. The only way we can escape this imminent death penalty is if a sinless person, who does not deserve death, dies in our place (Griesmeyer 8:1).

So what did God do? Because he so loved the world and didn’t want anyone to perish, he gave his Son as a sin sacrifice in order that we may have the gift of eternal life. The difference between wages and a gift is that wages are earned while a gift is free. Jesus paid the death penalty that we’ve all earned so that we can have the free gift of eternal life. The Lord did this so that we could fellowship with him forever instead of reaping the wages of sin, which is death.

This fact that God Himself wants to have a relationship with us explains why the gospel is also referred to as “the message of reconciliation” (see 2Corinthians 5:17-21). The gospel is good news indeed because, not only does it grant eternal life to those who accept it, but, more importantly, it enables us to have a relationship with the Creator of the universe!

Notice what John the Baptist declared would happen to those who reject the gospel:

JOHN 3:36

“Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on him.”

The passage could not be plainer: those who reject the Son “will not see life.” God’s word is absolute, and this is an absolute statement: Those who reject Jesus Christ will not see any life at all. This includes even a sadistic life in conscious agony for all eternity. Such people will be justly-but-mercifully put to death, absolute death, for this is the wages of their actions. But our loving Creator doesn’t want anyone to perish like this; he has provided a way to eternal life through his Son, Jesus Christ.

Do you see the simple, beautiful, clear message of the gospel here? God is just trying to save his beloved fallen creation, humanity, from the wages of sin. Ezekiel 18:32 reveals the heart of God well on this matter: “ ‘For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone,’ declares the Sovereign LORD, ‘Repent and live!’ ”

http://www.hell-know.net/

Reactions: Timothew
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
"Respected" you say, and I absolutely agree. As a matter of fact, I still have four hardbound copies. But the first one is pretty much just a keepsake. My wife gave it to me on our first anniversary and I wore the covers off of it. But they're too cheap to think about rebinding. So I too respect it, but also realize it is not without fault. But if someone wants to put the blinders on they don't have to worry about all of its inconsistencies. It just makes people like me a little less interested in arguments from that mindset.

I can still call you brother Tigger, but we definitely aren't twins...:p And that's OK....because we never were twins to begin with...God would be bored if we were. :thumbsup:
I agree we can be brothers in Christ and still disagree on specific topics. I only divide with a person when it concerns the essentials of the Christian faith or their demeaner doesn't reflect the fruit of the Spirit. That being said the commentaries I've checked say first the normal usage of the Greek words for eternal punishment is correct in Mat. 25:46 and that is further solidified by the structure of the sentence. The sentence is divided into two segments creating a parallel meaning. Eternal punishment in the first half and everlasing life in the second half.

Upvote 0
N

n2thelight

Originally Posted by Tigger45
And to reiterate when the bible uses the term death it's always talking about a separation.

Death Means “Separation” ’
Let’s start with the strange theory that death doesn’t really mean death, but “separation.” For example, consider Paul’s unmistakable statement in this previously viewed passage:

For the wages of sin is death (thanatos), but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

As we’ve already seen in Chapter One, “death” here is translated from the Greek word thanatos which simply means “death” (Strong 35) – the absence of life or opposite of life, hence, the cessation of conscious existence. The Greek scholar E.W. Bullinger states that thanatos refers to “The natural end of life” (207). Although this is simple to understand and commonly understood, adherents of the eternal torment theory “explain” that death in this passage does not really mean death but rather “separation from God.” When you press them for details as to exactly what they mean by “separation from God,” it turns out that what they really mean is never-ending conscious life in fiery torment. Do you see the obvious problem with this theory? Under the guise of “interpretation” they would have us believe that death actually means the exact opposite of what it really is! Since “the wages of sin” to them is not really death at all, but immortal life in conscious torment, their definition of death means something entirely opposite to literal death! If this is not a blatant example of subtracting from God’s Word and adding to it, I don’t know what is. This religious theory must be rejected for a number of obvious reasons:

1.) If we take “eternal life” literally, we must also take “death” literally. God clearly declares in Romans 6:23 above, as well as numerous other passages, that the wages of sin is death and that eternal life is a gift to those in right-standing with him. So death is promised as a punishment for ungodly sinners and life is promised as a gift for the righteous. In such a context as this, every law of language and common sense agrees that if we take the promise of life literally we must also take the punishment of death literally. If one is literal then both are literal. If there is to be no real death for sinners there will be no real life for saints (McFarland 25, 27).

Adherents of eternal torment can insist that death only means “separation” all they want, but the simple fact is that the opposite of life is death. What word could better describe the end of life than ‘death’? The only way a person can accept the view of eternal torture is to believe that death does not mean death, that die does not mean die, that destroy does not mean destroy, that perish does not mean perish and that destruction does not mean destruction.

2.) Physical death is death of the body. While most Christians believe the soul (mind and spirit) survives the body, we cannot ignore the biblical fact that “the body without the spirit is dead” (James 2:26). The body is not itself separated; it is dead. It no longer has life in it because death is the opposite of life. Death means death, it’s not complicated. Thanatos, the Greek word translated as death in Romans 6:23 above, is used most often simply in reference to this death, the first death. For example:

ACTS 23:29
“I found that the accusation had to do with questions about their law, but there was no charge against him (Paul) that deserved death (thanatos) or imprisonment.”

The Roman commander speaking in this text is merely attesting that Paul committed no crime worthy of execution or imprisonment. Thanatos here simply refers to physical execution – the cessation of physical life. When a person is executed his/her conscious life expires, at least as far as physical life is concerned. Believe it or not, adherents of eternal torture suggest that “death” refers to separation even in this context. Their theory is that death here would refer to separation of the inner being (mind and spirit) from the outer being (body) (Dake 619). According to this theory the Roman commander really meant to say, “There was no charge against Paul that deserved separation of the inner being from the outer being or imprisonment.” Did the Roman commander really mean to say this when he used the word thanatos? Of course not, the very idea is ludicrous. The use of thanatos here refers to literal physical death, the expiration of conscious life in the body. This is how James 2:26 above defines physical death: the body without the spirit is dead, that is, void of conscious life. Whether or not a person’s consciousness exists on a spiritual plane after physical death is a separate issue (touched on in Appendix B and thoroughly examined in Part II, the latter not included in this edition).

3.) The same biblical words used in reference to the second death are also used in reference to the death of animals. In his popular lexicon (a dictionary of biblical words), W.E Vine admits that thanatos – death – is indeed “the opposite of life,” but then completely contradicts this statement by stating that “it never denotes non-existence” (Vine 149). With all due respect, Mr. Vine would do well to forsake his sectarian bias and honestly dig a little deeper in his biblical studies as the scriptures blatantly disagree with this statement. Consider that the equivalent Hebrew word for death, maveth (maw’veth), is used in reference to the death of animals in the Old Testament:

ECCLESIASTES 3:19
Man’s fate is like that of the animals; the same fate awaits them both: as one dies (maveth) so dies (maveth) the other.

ECCLESIASTES 10:1
As dead (maveth) flies give perfume a bad smell, so a little folly outweighs wisdom and honor.

Would anyone ludicrously argue that the equivalent Hebrew word for death in these texts refers to “separation” or eternal conscious torment? Of course not. Animals and flies which experience death (thanatos/maveth) literally die – their life ceases. They of course leave behind a dead, decaying shell, but their conscious life expires. That’s what death is. It’s plain and simple. This completely disproves Vine’s unscholarly theory as animals definitely cease to exist when they die, that is, their conscious life expires.

If “death” (thanatos/maveth) literally means death when used in reference to animals, why would its definition mysteriously change to something completely different – actually opposite – when applied to human beings? It doesn’t, but adherents of the eternal torment theory are forced to interpret the bible in this bizarre manner because of their unbiblical theology (their reasoning is: “If people have an immortal soul, and hence can never actually die, then death can’t really mean death when used in reference to people”).

4.) Numerous other biblical words besides thanatosdescribe the second death in strict terms of death and destruction. As we’ve plainly seen throughout this study, thanatos is supported by many other Hebrew and Greek words which are variously translated as “die,” “death,” “destruction,” “destroy” and “perish” in reference to the fate of those cast into the lake of fire. As we have also seen in chapters Two, Three and Four these words are, in turn, backed up by numerous crystal clear examples of literal destruction. In light of these facts, even if thanatos had a secondary definition of “separation” – which it doesn’t – it still would not refer to separation in reference to the second death of human beings.

5.) If the fate of ungodly sinners is to be some sort of life or “existence” in undying “separation” from God in utter misery and torment, God would have certainly expressed this somewhere in the bible. He could have easily chosen words to describe damnation in explicit terms of “separation,” “existence in torment” or “perpetual life in misery,” but He did not do this. Instead, as we’ve clearly seen, He consistently chose words that have for their general, usual or basic meaning “die,” “death,” “destruction,” “destroy,” “perish,” “consume” and “burn up.” God couldn’t possibly use a better choice of words to describe literal death. He also made sure to back up all these unmistakable words with a multitude of easy-to-understand examples of literal death and incineration.

Consider also that if thanatos really means “separation” then why should English bible translators even bother translating thanatos as “death” at all (which they all unanimously do)? Why not rather universally translate it as “separation”? Wouldn’t doing such simplify matters and spare us all a lot of confusion? The obvious reason bible translators do not do this is because thanatos literally means death, the opposite of life, and therefore non-existence or, we could say, the state of non-being. Death is not a different form of life; it is the opposite of life. Thus the first death, which is physical death, refers at least to non-existence in the physical realm; and the second death – which entails the everlasting destruction of soul and body – refers to absolute non-existence with no hope of resurrection.

6.) “Death” and “separation” are two completely different words in Hebrew and Greek, just as they are in English; these words have different meanings. The Hebrew badal (baw-dal’) and the Greek chorizo (kho-rid’zo) are two Old and New Testament words for “separation” (see, for example, Isaiah 59:2 and Romans 8:35,39). If the wages of sin is not really death, but separation, then God would have used these Hebrew and Greek words to describe the ultimate wages of sin. For example, Romans 6:23 would read, “For the wages of sin is separation (chorizo)” and Ezekiel 18:4 would read, “The soul who sins will separate (badal).” But does the bible teach this anywhere? No, “the wages of sin is death” and “the soul who sins will die” (NASB).

The bottom line is that the second death is consistently described in terms of literal death and utter destruction in the bible, not “separation.” We’ve seen this throughout our study.

7.) As already briefly stated, to suggest that death means something entirely opposite of its actual definition is nothing more than a blatant case of subtracting from God's Word and adding to it. In this specific case adherents of eternal torment subtract the word “death” (thanatos) from the numerous passages which describe the wages of sin strictly in terms of literal death, and supplant it with “eternal life in separation from God” – a definition that is, once again, completely opposite to the actual definition of death. This practice is all done under the noble mask of “interpretation,” but notice how the bible strictly condemns this practice:

DEUTERONOMY 4:2
Do not add to what I command you and do not subtract from it, but keep the commands of the LORD your God that I give you.

PROVERBS 30:5-6
Every word of God is flawless;… (6) Do not add to his words or he will rebuke you and prove you a liar.

REVELATION 22:18-19
I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything, God will add to him the plagues described in this book. (19) And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from him his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.

As you can plainly see, it’s a grave offense in God’s eyes to subtract from his Word and add to it something else. As it states in the Proverb text above: the God-breathed scriptures are flawless. There’s simply no reason to make any changes. But adherents of the eternal torment view are guilty of this very transgression in regards to the bible’s repeated declaration that the wages of sin is death.

8.) The scriptural arguments above are certainly proof enough that ‘death’ simply means death in the bible not “separation,” but a comparison of New Testament words for “death,” “perish,” “destruction,” etc. to other well-known Greek writings of the same general period offers additional support.

For example, Plato argued that the human soul is immortal and can never die or cease to exist. What Greek words did Plato use to express this denial? He used the exact Greek words that Paul used to describe the everlasting destruction of unbelievers in the New Testament: Plato taught that the human soul would not die (apothnesko), Paul taught that it could die (e.g. Romans 8:13); Plato taught that the human soul would never experience death (thanatos), Paul taught that it could experience death (e.g. James 5:20); Plato taught that the human soul would not suffer destruction (apoleia and olethros), Paul taught that it could suffer destruction (e.g. 2Peter 3:7 and 2Thessalonians 1:9).

Plato used these various Greek words to describe absolute extinction of being, not separation of being. Since Paul used these very same words to describe the eternal fate of those who reject God’s message of reconciliation in Christ, we must conclude that he too was referring to absolute extinction of being (Constable 42).
Furthermore, there were people in Paul’s era who adhered to universal extinction, that is, they believed that when people died they simply ceased to exist, with no hope of resurrection for either the righteous or unrighteous. The Epicureans were Greeks who advocated this view and the Sadducees were Jews who supported it. What words did these sects use to express their belief in absolute extinction of conscious life? Why, the very same Greek words used in the New Testament to describe the everlasting destruction of the ungodly (Constable 48).
So, death simply meant death in uninspired writings – the cessation of life – just as it does in the biblical scriptures.

In light of these eight reasons, we have no recourse but to take God at his Word and conclude that the second death will be a literal death – utter, awful, complete and final. The religious theory that death means “separation” must be categorically rejected.

Dispelling the myth of eternal torment biblically

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I agree we can be brothers in Christ and still disagree on specific topics. I only divide with a person when it concerns the essentials of the Christian faith or their demeaner doesn't reflect the fruit of the Spirit.
Just exactly what the "essentials" are, is the $50 question. Universalism isn't even close to being 'essential' IMO. I think the "fruit of the spirit" is lot easier to discern. But it's the religious spirit I find tough to deal with for me personally, but especially when I see it manifest in other posters. I usually just try to walk away. Especially if I see myself getting drawn into the 'barb' contest. I'm still not perfect in that endeavor.

That being said the commentaries I've checked say first the normal usage of the Greek words for eternal punishment is correct in Mat. 25:46 and that is further solidified by the structure of the sentence. The sentence is divided into two segments creating a parallel meaning. Eternal punishment in the first half and everlasing life in the second half.
Yes, I've read commentaries with that opinion too. But it has been years ago. Like you/others, I have made up my mind long ago, and I choose to be on the unorthodox side of the fence, concerning this doctrine. I was first exposed to 'Ultimate Reconciliation' in the mid 70's at a retreat. It shocked me, but there weren't computers then and finding information to help make a decision was difficult. It took me 10 years before I finally could say; "I absolutely believe this is the truth." Prior to that I only hoped it could be true.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Life and Death: The Two Polar Opposites

The apostle Paul summed up the whole matter of people’s reward for sin when he wrote:

For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternallife through Christ Jesus our Lord.

Could anything be clearer than this text? The wages for sin is shown to be death, and eternal life is stated to be a gift from God, not something people already have. This is consistently expressed from Genesis to Revelation, notice:

MATTHEW 7:13-14

“Enter through the narrow gate, for wide is the gate and broad the road that leads to destruction and many enter through it, (14) but small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.”

JOHN 3:16
“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”

ROMANS 8:13
For if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live.

GALATIONS 6:8
The one who sows to please the sinful nature from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the spirit, from the spirit will reap eternal life.

PROVERBS 11:19
The truly righteous man attains life, but he who pursues evil goes to his death.

All these passages clearly describe the two separate destinies of the righteous and the unrighteous. The “righteous” are people who are in-right-standing with God because they’ve accepted his sacrifice for their sins, the “unrighteous” are those who are not in-right-standing with their Creator because they’ve rejected his offer of salvation. The former will inherit eternal life, whereas the latter will reap the wages of sin and be destroyed.

Yet those who adhere to the eternal torture doctrine mysteriously don’t accept this blatantly clear biblical truth. They don’t believe that the two polar opposites are life and death; they believe the two polar opposites are eternal life in heavenly bliss and eternal life in burning torment. Sounds ridiculous, doesn’t it? They may not phrase it in such an open manner, but this is what they actually believe when it comes down to it.

Eternal Life and Immortality – Only Available through the Gospel

The offer to receive eternal life as opposed to suffering everlasting destruction is what the gospel of Christ is all about. We see this plainly expressed in this passage:

2TIMOTHY 1:10

But (God’s grace) has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior, Christ Jesus, who has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel.”

Notice that life and immortality are only available through the gospel. What exactly is “the gospel?” The gospel literally means “good news.” Its main message is summed up in the famous passage John 3:16: “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” Note, once again, what is clearly being contrasted in these passages: In John 3:16 perish is contrasted with the gift of eternal life; in 2Timothy 1:10 death is contrasted with both immortality and life, which are said to be made available through the gospel. If the eternal torture doctrine were true, these verses would be contrasting eternal life and eternal life being tortured, or immortality and immortality in fiery torment. I realize this sounds absurd, but the bible would certainly speak in such honest, blatant terms if this teaching were true. Or do you think God would be misleading or ambiguous about such an important issue in his Holy Scriptures?

The reason the bible doesn’t speak in such a ludicrous way is simply because this doctrine of eternal conscious torment in not a biblical teaching. The above passage, 2Timothy 1:10, makes it plain that until Jesus was raised for our justification, the power of death was not destroyed and hence, immortality was not available to us – life was not available to us. This is because we are all sinners (see Romans 3:23 and Ecclesiastes 7:20) and therefore all deserve death, “for the wages of sin is death.” God cannot overlook this because he is perfectly just. One person cannot pay the penalty for another because both are sinful and deserve death. The only way we can escape this imminent death penalty is if a sinless person, who does not deserve death, dies in our place (Griesmeyer 8:1).

So what did God do? Because he so loved the world and didn’t want anyone to perish, he gave his Son as a sin sacrifice in order that we may have the gift of eternal life. The difference between wages and a gift is that wages are earned while a gift is free. Jesus paid the death penalty that we’ve all earned so that we can have the free gift of eternal life. The Lord did this so that we could fellowship with him forever instead of reaping the wages of sin, which is death.

This fact that God Himself wants to have a relationship with us explains why the gospel is also referred to as “the message of reconciliation” (see 2Corinthians 5:17-21). The gospel is good news indeed because, not only does it grant eternal life to those who accept it, but, more importantly, it enables us to have a relationship with the Creator of the universe!

Notice what John the Baptist declared would happen to those who reject the gospel:

JOHN 3:36

“Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on him.”

The passage could not be plainer: those who reject the Son “will not see life.” God’s word is absolute, and this is an absolute statement: Those who reject Jesus Christ will not see any life at all. This includes even a sadistic life in conscious agony for all eternity. Such people will be justly-but-mercifully put to death, absolute death, for this is the wages of their actions. But our loving Creator doesn’t want anyone to perish like this; he has provided a way to eternal life through his Son, Jesus Christ.

Do you see the simple, beautiful, clear message of the gospel here? God is just trying to save his beloved fallen creation, humanity, from the wages of sin. Ezekiel 18:32 reveals the heart of God well on this matter: “ ‘For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone,’ declares the Sovereign LORD, ‘Repent and live!’ ”

This is a discussion forum. A discussion is not a 500 word copy/paste from your pet website. This thesis does not address the many verses which support eternal conscious punishment [ECP] Such as these 28 passages. where Jesus addresses the fate of the unrepentant wicked, Matt 3:12; 5:13, 20, 29,-30; 7:13-14; 21-23; 8:12; 10:33, 39-42; 13:49-50; 18:3-4, 8-9, 21:43; 22:2-14; 23:13, 15; 25:11-12, 41, 46; Mark 9:43-48; 10:15; Lk 9:62; 12:45-46; 13:23-24; Luke 16:22-28; 18:17; John 3:3, 5, 18; 15:6.

Matt 25:46 is one of the key vss. The uninformed who oppose ECP quote various "scholars" who opine that the punishment in this vs. cannot be ECP, that it only means death or that it only means corrective punishment of a limited duration. But here is the definition of the word from Bauer, Arndt, Gingrich and Danker an irrefutable Lexicon of NT Greek. Nothing in the definition limits the punishment.

κόλασις ew", hJ punishment (so Hippocr. +; Diod. S. 1, 77, 9; 4, 44, 3; Aelian , V.H. 7, 15; Dit., Syll. 2 680, 13; LXX ; Philo , Leg. ad Gai. 7, Mos. 1, 96; Jos. , Ant. 17, 164; Sib. Or. 5, 388).

1. lit. k. uJpomevnein undergo punishment GOxy 6; deinai; k. (4 Macc 8:9 ) MPol 2:4; hJ ejpivmono" k. long-continued torture ibid. kakai; k. tou` diabovlou IRo 5:3. Of the martyrdom of Jesus PK 4 p. 15, 34. The smelling of the odor arising fr. sacrifices ironically described as punishment, injury (
s. kolavzw ) Dg 2:9.
2. of divine retribution ( Diod. S. 3, 61, 5; 16, 61, 1; Epict. 3, 11, 1; Dio Chrys. 80[30], 12; 2 Macc 4:38 al. in LXX ; Philo , Spec. Leg. 1, 55; 2, 196; Jos. , Ant. 1, 60 al. ): w. aijkismov" 1 Cl 11:1. Of eternal damnation ( w. qavnato" ) Dg 9:2 ( Diod. S. 8, 15, 1 k. ajqavnato" ). Of hell: tovpo" kolavsew" AP 6:21 (Simplicius in Epict. p. 13, 1 eij" ejkei`non to;n tovpon aiJ kolavsew" deovmenai yucai; katapevmpontai). ajpevrcesqai eij" k. aijwvnion go away into eternal punishment Mt 25:46 ; MPol 11:2 ( k. aij. as Test. Reub. 5:5, Ash. 7:5; Celsus 8, 48). rJuvesqai ejk th`" aijwnivou k. rescue fr. eternal punishment 2 Cl 6:7. th;n aijwvnion k. ejxagoravzesqai buy one’s freedom fr. eternal pun. MPol 2:3. kakai; k. tou` diabovlou IRo 5:3. k. tino" punishment for someth. (Ezk 14:3 , 4 , 7 ; 18:30 ; Philo , Fuga 65 aJmarthmavtwn k.) e[cein kovlasivn tina th`" ponhriva" aujtou` Hs 9, 18, 1. oJ fovbo" kovlasin e[cei fear has to do with punishment 1J 4:18 ( cf. Phil o, In Flacc. 96 fovbo" kolavsew" ). M-M. * .

BAGD online

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is a discussion forum. A discussion is not a 500 word copy/paste from your pet website. This thesis does not address the many verses which support eternal conscious punishment [ECP] Such as these 28 passages. where Jesus addresses the fate of the unrepentant wicked, Matt 3:12; 5:13, 20, 29,-30; 7...
Fail.

Matthew 3:12 does not say that the unrepentant will be burned alive and never burned up. It says that they will be burnt up.

Your first verse fails. I didn't bother to go past the first one.

His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor, gathering his wheat into the barn and burning up the chaff with unquenchable fire.

κατακαύσει = completely consume by fire, burn down.

The first verse you cited to prove your case actually proves the exact opposite of what you wanted to prove.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Fail.

Matthew 3:12 does not say that the unrepentant will be burned alive and never burned up. It says that they will be burnt up.

His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor, gathering his wheat into the barn and burning up the chaff with unquenchable fire.

The first verse you cited to prove your case actually proves the exact opposite of what you wanted to prove.

Fortunately my Bible has more than one verse.

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Fortunately my Bible has more than one verse.
Unfortunately, you completely failed on the very first verse you posted. It proved the exact opposite of your point. I didn't pick one of your verses at random to prove wrong. I picked the FIRST ONE. When that proved that you didn't know what you are talking about, there was no reason to go further.

This is why I ignore you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Fail.

I think we've talked about this before. I don't understand why anyone thinks this verse is talking about unsaved people being chaff. The chaff is what the wheat berry grows in until the harvest. We aren't talking wheat and tares in this parable. We are talking about the sinful flesh that our spirit lives in. I believe we ARE spirits, we have souls, we live in bodies. Or as Paul said;

2CO 4:16 So we do not lose heart. Though our outer nature is wasting away, our inner nature is being renewed every day.
2CO 5:1 For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
...eg. a glorified body for our eternal spirits.

I think that the 'chaff' spoken of is referring to the sin that clings to our spirit as sinful 'flesh wherein nothing good dwells.'

This whole chapter isn't about salvation and going to heaven. It's about John preaching repentance for the forgiveness of you sins and then changing you life...NOW.

MAT 3:8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:

I still maintain that the chaff is the sinful flesh nature which clings so closely to us. Once it is separated it is burned.

HEB 12:1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us,

Thoughts?

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Unfortunately, you completely failed on the very first verse you posted. It proved the exact opposite of your point. I didn't pick one of your verses at random to prove wrong. I picked the FIRST ONE. When that proved that you didn't know what you are talking about, there was no reason to go further.

This is why I ignore you.

Is this what you call ignoring, post in huge size font and bold? But I agree with Hillsage. Chaff is not tares. So your argument is fail.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Just exactly what the "essentials" are, is the $50 question. Universalism isn't even close to being 'essential' IMO. I think the "fruit of the spirit" is lot easier to discern. But it's the religious spirit I find tough to deal with for me personally, but especially when I see it manifest in other posters. I usually just try to walk away. Especially if I see myself getting drawn into the 'barb' contest. I'm still not perfect in that endeavor.
Yes, I've read commentaries with that opinion too. But it has been years ago. Like you/others, I have made up my mind long ago, and I choose to be on the unorthodox side of the fence, concerning this doctrine. I was first exposed to 'Ultimate Reconciliation' in the mid 70's at a retreat. It shocked me, but there weren't computers then and finding information to help make a decision was difficult. It took me 10 years before I finally could say; "I absolutely believe this is the truth." Prior to that I only hoped it could be true.
Just exactly what the "essentials" are, is the $50 question.
$50 question!! I'm surprised at your/my age you didn't say $64,000 question. I expect that out of these young pups but we gotta represent! :)

As far as essentials goes I was referring to like LDS doctrine type stuff.

And by the way I'm not set on eternal punishment like cement. I just feel it's the strongest argument. That's why I'm open to reasonable dialogue. I've changed my stance on topics before. I figure I'm a work in progress and we are studying an infinite God.

Here is my argument for eternal punishment in a nutshell.

1st. The Greek words translated as eternal punishment are typically used with this meaning.

2nd. The parallel structure of the sentence helps affirm this thought.

3rd. I believe all of the ECF writers who actually were directly discipled and then appointed as Bishops by Apostles themselves expressed this idea of eternal punishment.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is this what you call ignoring, post in huge size font and bold? But I agree with Hillsage. Chaff is not tares. So your argument is fail.
No, for the most part I would like to ignore you. But when you post things when you should know better, I feel like I have to speak up. (I used the same size font you used)

You say that you can read Greek, and I believe you. So why did you post Matthew 3:12 as "proof" that the wicked are burned alive, but never consumed by the fire? Did you post this without first checking to see if the Greek Original agreed with the point you were trying to make? If so, that seems careless. Did you read the verse in Greek and post it anyway, knowing that it disagreed with your position? Were you simply hoping that nobody would notice? That seems dishonest. I don't think that you are careless or dishonest, so I can't image why you posted Matthew 3:12 in "defense" of your position.

As far the the chaff being different from the wheat, that doesn't really work, because the wheat represents the saved, and the chaff represents the unsaved. If you are agreeing with Hillsage, then you are taking the position that the fire burns away the sin, and the sinner moves from Hell into Heaven after the sin is completely burned away. This doesn't help your position at all. When Jesus explains the parable of the weeds in Matthew 13, He says that at the harvest the weeds will be separated from the wheat. This is the same concept, the chaff is separated from the wheat. Both the chaff and the weeds represent the unrepentant and are burned up on the Harvest Day. The Wheat represents those who are in Christ, and they are gathered into the barn.

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think we've talked about this before. I don't understand why anyone thinks this verse is talking about unsaved people being chaff. The chaff is what the wheat berry grows in until the harvest. We aren't talking wheat and tares in this parable. We are talking about the sinful flesh that our spirit lives in. I believe we ARE spirits, we have souls, we live in bodies. Or as Paul said;

2CO 4:16 So we do not lose heart. Though our outer nature is wasting away, our inner nature is being renewed every day.
2CO 5:1 For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
...eg. a glorified body for our eternal spirits.

I think that the 'chaff' spoken of is referring to the sin that clings to our spirit as sinful 'flesh wherein nothing good dwells.'

This whole chapter isn't about salvation and going to heaven. It's about John preaching repentance for the forgiveness of you sins and then changing you life...NOW.

MAT 3:8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:

I still maintain that the chaff is the sinful flesh nature which clings so closely to us. Once it is separated it is burned.

HEB 12:1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us,

Thoughts?
If you are correct, then Der Alter is wrong, and this verse doesn't refer to the burning alive of sinners in hell. If you are wrong, then this verse does refer to the fire consuming the unrepentant, and again Der Alter is wrong. In either case, there is no way to make this verse support Der Alter's position. Either way, Der Alter is wrong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The chaff is separated from the wheat BEFORE the chaff is consumed by the fire.

The chaff is separated from the wheat, just as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, a farmer separates the wheat from the tares, or a fisherman separates the good fish from the bad fish. OR as the Lord separates one set of people from another when He returns in Glory.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The chaff is separated from the wheat BEFORE the chaff is consumed by the fire.

The chaff is separated from the wheat, just as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, a farmer separates the wheat from the tares, or a fisherman separates the good fish from the bad fish. OR as the Lord separates one set of people from another when He returns in Glory.

Wrong! The chaff is a part of the wheat that is not consumed. The seed husks, leaves and stems. The chaff is not a separate plant which grows among the wheat.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, for the most part I would like to ignore you. But when you post things when you should know better, I feel like I have to speak up. (I used the same size font you used)

You say that you can read Greek, and I believe you. So why did you post Matthew 3:12 as "proof" that the wicked are burned alive, but never consumed by the fire? Did you post this without first checking to see if the Greek Original agreed with the point you were trying to make? If so, that seems careless. Did you read the verse in Greek and post it anyway, knowing that it disagreed with your position? Were you simply hoping that nobody would notice? That seems dishonest. I don't think that you are careless or dishonest, so I can't image why you posted Matthew 3:12 in "defense" of your position.

As far the the chaff being different from the wheat, that doesn't really work, because the wheat represents the saved, and the chaff represents the unsaved. If you are agreeing with Hillsage, then you are taking the position that the fire burns away the sin, and the sinner moves from Hell into Heaven after the sin is completely burned away. This doesn't help your position at all. When Jesus explains the parable of the weeds in Matthew 13, He says that at the harvest the weeds will be separated from the wheat. This is the same concept, the chaff is separated from the wheat. Both the chaff and the weeds represent the unrepentant and are burned up on the Harvest Day. The Wheat represents those who are in Christ, and they are gathered into the barn.

Where did I say that I posted Matt 3:12 "as 'proof' that the wicked are burned alive, but never consumed by the fire?" You are assuming! I suggest you look up the definition of achuros and the definition of chaff before you continue.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.