The wages of sin is DEATH, not eternal torment in Hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Another member posted a 150+ year old "Encyclopedia of Mythology" as a credible source for the meaning of some words in both testaments. I was being facetious. If that mythology book was a valid source for the meaning of Biblical words then we might as well read about phoenixes, satyrs, etc. which are all in that book, as well. Of course the other member was cherry picking trying to find something, anything, somewhere, by somebody as long as it seemed to support his false beliefs.
:doh: If that is what you think of the http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com why do you quote it regarding hell?

Here it is from your own Jewish Encyclopedia that you love to quote about hell and see how uninformed your argument is.

COCKATRICE – See Basilisk.

BASILISK – ...The translation in the Revised Version of the Hebrew "ẓefa'" and "ẓif'oni" (Isa. xi. 8, xiv. 29, lix. 5; Jer. viii. 17; Prov. xxiii. 32), for which the Authorized Version has "cockatrice."

The Septuagint... SERPENT – ...et al.), perhaps identical with the Egyptian cobra (Naja haje), which is found in southern Palestine, and is frequently kept by snake-charmers; (3) "ẓefa'" (A. V. "cockatrice," R. V. "basilisk ...LXX. "asp"; Isa. xiv. 29);

(4) "ẓif'oni" (adder, basilisk, cockatrice; Isa. xi. 8, lix. 5, et al.), perhaps the large viper (Duboia xanthina); it is identified also, by some, with the cat-snake (EGGS – ...Biblical Data: The Old Testament refers to eggs of birds (Deut. xxii. 6) and of vipers (Isa. lix. 5, A. V., "cockatrice"), and to the well-known fact that...

BASILISK: (Redirected from COCKATRICE.)
The translation in the Revised Version of the Hebrew "ẓefa'" and "ẓif'oni" (Isa. xi. 8, xiv. 29, lix. 5; Jer. viii. 17; Prov. xxiii. 32), for which the Authorized Version has "cockatrice."
The Septuagint uses the word βασιλίσκον in Isa. lix. 5 for "ef'eh," and in Ps. xci. 13 for "peten." In all these places some variety of serpent is evidently meant, but the ancient versions do not indicate which.

The rendering "basilisk"—so also Jerome and the Syriac Version—is correct in so far as that the Hebrew word likewise appears to designate some fabulous creature, though it is not known which was the particular kind of serpent that suggested the fanciful notions of the ancients. According to some, the Hebrew "ẓefa'" is the same species as "shefifon" (Gen. xlix. 17), the horned adder or cerastes, a very poisonous viper found in Arabia, in the Sinaitic peninsula.
http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/4437-cockatrice

Upvote 0

Gospel Guy

Headed Home!
Aug 11, 2013
✟1,829.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Another member posted a 150+ year old "Encyclopedia of Mythology" as a credible source for the meaning of some words in both testaments. I was being facetious. If that mythology book was a valid source for the meaning of Biblical words then we might as well read about phoenixes, satyrs, etc. which are all in that book, as well. Of course the other member was cherry picking trying to find something, anything, somewhere, by somebody as long as it seemed to support his false beliefs.

OK, please throw in a few smart aleck remarks
so folks know when you are joking around :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Lovely Jar

Pray Out Loud
Jun 24, 2013
✟2,238.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hell, the pit, was created for Satan and his angels.
Sheol, as many have said, is the after life that awaits us. The borders of Satan's abode being extended by copyists so as to include unrepentant sinners doesn't matter. God's first word does.

Sheol is separation from God. "Death" the second death. Nothingness, the void. Removal from God's sight.
It is a terrible tragedy that befalls the faithful when we are led to think our beloved God would create Hell in order to scare us into following Jesus.

At least, according to the Bible.

Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. :clap: This is good news for those whose Lord is Jesus Christ. Rather bad news for those who reject Jesus Christ, since they will not receive eternal life, not in hell being tortured, or anywhere else. According to the Bible, The wicked will be destroyed.

The wages of sin is death. Dead means "not alive".
In order to have eternal life, a person has to be "not dead".
In order to be "not dead", a person has to have their sins forgiven, because the wages of sin is death.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally Posted by Der Alter

OK, please throw in a few smart aleck remarks
so folks know when you are joking around :thumbsup:
:D

He never jokes around ;)

Upvote 0

Spaceman 3

Sep 2, 2013
..::Rising uP::..
✟323.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
At least, according to the Bible.

Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. :clap: This is good news for those whose Lord is Jesus Christ. Rather bad news for those who reject Jesus Christ, since they will not receive eternal life, not in hell being tortured, or anywhere else. According to the Bible, The wicked will be destroyed.

The wages of sin is death. Dead means "not alive".
In order to have eternal life, a person has to be "not dead".
In order to be "not dead", a person has to have their sins forgiven, because the wages of sin is death.

WOW! Such a loving, caring God. HE'S GONNA KILL OFF MOST OF THE PINNACLE OF HIS CREATION!

Unless of course we agree to believe & follow a book full of ambiguity at best.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟992,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

If that is what you think of the JewishEncyclopedia.com why do you quote it regarding hell?

Misrepresentation at its worst. I said nothing about the Jewish Encyclopedia! See my post, at the top of this post, which you quoted above. I was clearly referring to the Encyclopedia of Mythology, at this link,

Un-natural History: Or, Myths of Ancient Science; Being a Collection of ... - Georg Kasper Kirchmayer, Hermann Grube, Martinus Schoock - Google Books

Which you quoted from, in this post

Here it is from your own Jewish Encyclopedia that you love to quote about hell and see how uninformed your argument is.

COCKATRICE – See Basilisk.
BASILISK – ...The translation in the Revised Version of the Hebrew "ẓefa'" and "ẓif'oni" (Isa. xi. 8, xiv. 29, lix. 5; Jer. viii. 17; Prov. xxiii. 32), for which the Authorized Version has "cockatrice."

The Septuagint... SERPENT – ...et al.), perhaps identical with the Egyptian cobra (Naja haje), which is found in southern Palestine, and is frequently kept by snake-charmers; (3) "ẓefa'" (A. V. "cockatrice," R. V. "basilisk ...LXX. "asp"; Isa. xiv. 29);

(4) "ẓif'oni" (adder, basilisk, cockatrice; Isa. xi. 8, lix. 5, et al.), perhaps the large viper (Duboia xanthina); it is identified also, by some, with the cat-snake (EGGS – ...Biblical Data: The Old Testament refers to eggs of birds (Deut. xxii. 6) and of vipers (Isa. lix. 5, A. V., "cockatrice"), and to the well-known fact that...

BASILISK: (Redirected from COCKATRICE.)
The translation in the Revised Version of the Hebrew "ẓefa'" and "ẓif'oni" (Isa. xi. 8, xiv. 29, lix. 5; Jer. viii. 17; Prov. xxiii. 32), for which the Authorized Version has "cockatrice."
The Septuagint uses the word βασιλίσκον in Isa. lix. 5 for "ef'eh," and in Ps. xci. 13 for "peten." In all these places some variety of serpent is evidently meant, but the ancient versions do not indicate which.

The rendering "basilisk"—so also Jerome and the Syriac Version—is correct in so far as that the Hebrew word likewise appears to designate some fabulous creature, though it is not known which was the particular kind of serpent that suggested the fanciful notions of the ancients. According to some, the Hebrew "ẓefa'" is the same species as "shefifon" (Gen. xlix. 17), the horned adder or cerastes, a very poisonous viper found in Arabia, in the Sinaitic peninsula.
BASILISK - JewishEncyclopedia.com

This post is uninformed. I have never mentioned any of the words from the Jewish Encyclopedia, you are quoting here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Now let us see your finesse with what BAG and you say about the Greek word in Koine: δράκων
:o
I have never mentioned any of the words from the Jewish Encyclopedia, you are quoting here.Originally Posted by Der Alter Why? How are they relevant? If I wanted to it would take me about 20 seconds to look the words [SIZE=+1]δράκων, εγγύς[/SIZE] and [SIZE=+1]εγγύος[/SIZE] but you have not shown how they are relevant.
If you use the Jewish Encyclopedia for a translation of the word HELL, then you must also agree with their word for δράκων basilisk which you said was not even in the Bible?
Now let us see your finesse with what BAG and you say about the Greek word in Koine: δράκων
Do you use the Jewish Encyclopedia for your meaning of HELL or NOT?

The rendering "basilisk"—so also Jerome and the Syriac Version—is correct in so far as that the Hebrew word likewise appears to designate some fabulous creature, though it is not known which was the particular kind of serpent that suggested the fanciful notions of the ancients. According to some, the Hebrew "ẓefa'" is the same species as "shefifon" (Gen. xlix. 17), the horned adder or cerastes, a very poisonous viper found in Arabia, in the Sinaitic peninsula. The jewish encyclopedia
Luther's Bible has the words, " From the root of the serpent shall a basilisk come."
Megalotheander’s Bible has, “He shall put his hand on the hole of the basilisk. ”
Jer 8:17 For, behold, I will send serpents, cockatrices, [H6848 צפע nm. viper (snake) , basilisk ] among you, which will not be charmed, and they shall bite you, saith the LORD

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟992,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you use the Jewish Encyclopedia for a translation of the word HELL, then you must also agree with their word for δράκων basilisk which you said was not even in the Bible?

Wrong, both times! I did not use the Jewish Encyclopedia [JE] for the definition of hell. I don't think that I have ever quoted the JE hell article in this forum.

Do you use the Jewish Encyclopedia for your meaning of HELL or NOT?

No I do not! I have quoted the JE Gehenna article more than once.

The rendering "basilisk"—so also Jerome and the Syriac Version—is correct in so far as that the Hebrew word likewise appears to designate some fabulous creature, though it is not known which was the particular kind of serpent that suggested the fanciful notions of the ancients. According to some, the Hebrew "ẓefa'" is the same species as "shefifon" (Gen. xlix. 17), the horned adder or cerastes, a very poisonous viper found in Arabia, in the Sinaitic peninsula. The jewish encyclopedia
Luther's Bible has the words, " From the root of the serpent shall a basilisk come."
Megalotheander’s Bible has, “He shall put his hand on the hole of the basilisk. ”
Jer 8:17 For, behold, I will send serpents, cockatrices, [H6848 צפע nm. viper (snake) , basilisk ] among you, which will not be charmed, and they shall bite you, saith the LORD

You have spammed this several times and it is not relevant to anything in this thread or any other thread that I have posted in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Wrong, both times! I did not use the Jewish Translation [JE] for the definition of hell. I don't think that I have ever quoted the JE hell article in this forum.
No I do not! I have quoted the JE Gehenna article more than once
Der Alter said:
Here is irrefutable evidence from two Jewish sources, the Jewish Encyclopedia and the Talmud that shows that sheol is the Christian hell.
Jewish Encyclopedia, GEHENNA

The place where children were sacrificed to the god Moloch was originally in the "valley of the son of Hinnom," to the south of Jerusalem (Josh. xv. 8, passim; II Kings xxiii. 10; Jer. ii. 23; vii. 31-32; xix. 6, 13-14). For this reason the valley was deemed to be accursed, and "Gehenna" therefore soon became a figurative equivalent for "hell." Hell, like paradise, was created by God (Sotah 22a); [Note, this is according to the ancient Jews, long before the Christian era, NOT the bias of Christian translators.] according to Gen. R. ix. 9, the words "very good" in Gen. i. 31 refer to hell; hence the latter must have been created on the sixth day

Jewish Encyclopedia Online

. . . When Nebuchadnezzar descended into hell, [Sheol] all its inhabitants were afraid that he was coming to rule over them (Shab. 149a; comp. Isa. xiv. 9-10). . . .

:doh:What say you NOW, Did you or did you not use the Jewish Encyclopedia for your meaning of HELL?
So please tell me Why do you refuse to recognize what you have posted and deny that you are not aware of what The Jewish Encyclopedia Online says and If you use the Jewish Encyclopedia for a translation of the word HELL, then you must also agree with their word for δράκων basilisk which you said was not even in the Bible?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟992,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Der Alter said:
Here is irrefutable evidence from two Jewish sources, the Jewish Encyclopedia and the Talmud that shows that sheol is the Christian hell.

The place where children were sacrificed to the god Moloch was originally in the "valley of the son of Hinnom," to the south of Jerusalem (Josh. xv. 8, passim; II Kings xxiii. 10; Jer. ii. 23; vii. 31-32; xix. 6, 13-14). For this reason the valley was deemed to be accursed, and "Gehenna" therefore soon became a figurative equivalent for "hell." Hell, like paradise, was created by God (Sotah 22a); ["Note, this is according to the ancient Jews, long before the Christian era, NOT the bias of Christian translators." DA] according to Gen. R. ix. 9, the words "very good" in Gen. i. 31 refer to hell; hence the latter must have been created on the sixth day

What say you NOW, Did you or did you not use the Jewish Encyclopedia for your meaning of HELL?

Wrong I quoted the Jewish Encyclopedia to show what the ancient Jews believed about Hell.

So please tell me Why do you refuse to recognize what you have posted and deny that you are not aware of what The Jewish Encyclopedia Online says and If you use the Jewish Encyclopedia for a translation of the word HELL, then you must also agree with their word for δράκων basilisk which you said was not even in the Bible?

Wrong on several accounts. I do not use the Jewish Encyclopedia for my definition of hell. I don't have to agree with anything about drakon or basilisk. I have not quoted any verses containing those words and to the best of my knowledge I have not quoted any post with those words. I did not say drakon or basilisk were not in the Bible, I said before, as I said here, I have never quoted any verse with those words. All your posts to me about drakon and basilisk is irrelevant spam. All mention of those words is off topic. If you want to discuss drakon and basilisk you should start a thread about them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
WOW! Such a loving, caring God. HE'S GONNA KILL OFF MOST OF THE PINNACLE OF HIS CREATION!

Unless of course we agree to believe & follow a book full of ambiguity at best.

How is the Bible ambiguous? What do you find ambiguous about "For the wages of sin is death"? Death is not "ambiguous". When someone is dead in your dining room, you know it when you go in. Here's a clue. They are not conscious.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally Posted by Der Alter

Have the Jews ever studied on this Covenantle parable in Luke 16? ;)

Lazarus and the Rich Man - Here a little, there a little - Commentary

The parable of Lazarus and the rich man has been the foundation for many of the erroneous beliefs about "hell" within traditional Christianity. Some have viewed it not as a parable, but as a true story Yeshua told to give details about the punishment of sinners in hell.
Yet a thorough, unbiased examination of this story will show that the generally accepted interpretations of this passage of Scripture are erroneous and misleading. In this article, we will go through the parable verse by verse to determine what the Messiah was truly teaching.
LUKE 16:23 "And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom." (NKJV)
If the Pharisees and scribes understood Yeshua's prophetic parable, it must have astonished and infuriated them.
How could the Jews become alienated from God while the elect Gentiles became the "seed of Abraham"? The implication that the House of Judah and those called from the Gentile nations were to change places would have been almost impossible for the Pharisees and scribes to believe.

http://www.christianforums.com/t7461118/#post54553876
Lazarus and 2 witnesses of Reve 11 similarity

John 11:39 Jesus is saying "take away ye! the stone".
Martha is saying to Him, the sister of the one having deceased "Lord, already he stinking, for it is fourth-day
43 And these saying, to a great Voice He cries-out "Lazarus, hither out!"

Reve 11:12 And they hear a great Voice out of the Heaven saying to them "Ascend ye here!".
And they ascended into the heaven in the cloud and observed them, the enemies of them.

Reactions: Timothew
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟992,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
you can't convince people who do not want to be convinced. nobody on this website is looking to change themselves, but to change/convince others, to say the least . . .

Looked in a mirror lately?

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally Posted by Hoshiyya
you can't convince people who do not want to be convinced. nobody on this website is looking to change themselves, but to change/convince others, to say the least . . .
Looked in a mirror lately?
:D

I did this morning.

http://www.christianforums.com/t7246601/#post47490672
Has anyone grown Spiritually, because of debates in GT?

Originally Posted by lionroar0
Maybe I need a break

After reading threads and posts of the same things. I just got wondering if GT helps people grow spiritually?

These threads and posts are usually for or against Sola Scriptura, Pope, Intercession of the Saints,books removed from the bible ect...

Has anyone grown closer to God and to their neighbor?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Der Alte

Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟992,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Have the Jews ever studied on this Covenantle parable in Luke 16?

I doubt it, why?

Lazarus and the Rich Man - Here a little, there a little - Commentary

The parable of Lazarus and the rich man has been the foundation for many of the erroneous beliefs about "hell" within traditional Christianity. Some have viewed it not as a parable, but as a true story Yeshua told to give details about the punishment of sinners in hell.
Yet a thorough, unbiased examination of this story will show that the generally accepted interpretations of this passage of Scripture are erroneous and misleading. In this article, we will go through the parable verse by verse to determine what the Messiah was truly teaching.

If the Pharisees and scribes understood Yeshua's prophetic parable, it must have astonished and infuriated them.
How could the Jews become alienated from God while the elect Gentiles became the "seed of Abraham"? The implication that the House of Judah and those called from the Gentile nations were to change places would have been almost impossible for the Pharisees and scribes to believe.

http://www.christianforums.com/t7461118/#post54553876
Lazarus and 2 witnesses of Reve 11 similarity

John 11:39 Jesus is saying "take away ye! the stone".
Martha is saying to Him, the sister of the one having deceased "Lord, already he stinking, for it is fourth-day
43 And these saying, to a great Voice He cries-out "Lazarus, hither out!"

Reve 11:12 And they hear a great Voice out of the Heaven saying to them "Ascend ye here!".
And they ascended into the heaven in the cloud and observed them, the enemies of them.

Every early church father who quoted Luke 16:19-31 considered it factual not a parable.

Irenaeus Against Heresies Book II Chapter XXXIV.-Souls Can Be Recognised in the Separate State, and are Immortal Although They Once Had a Beginning.
Ireneaeus, 120-202 AD, was a disciple of Polycarp, who was a disciple of John.

1. The Lord has taught with very great fulness, that souls not only continue to exist, not by passing from body to body, but that they preserve the same form [in their separate state] as the body had to which they were adapted, and that they remember the deeds which they did in this state of existence, and from which they have now ceased,-in that narrative which is recorded respecting the rich man and that Lazarus who found repose in the bosom of Abraham. In this account He states that Dives [=Latin for rich] knew Lazarus after death, and Abraham in like manner, and that each one of these persons continued in his own proper position, and that [Dives] requested Lazarus to be sent to relieve him-[Lazarus], on whom he did not [formerly] bestow even the crumbs [which fell] from his table.

ANF01. The Apostolic Fathers with Justin Martyr and Irenaeus | Christian Classics Ethereal Library

Clement of Alexandria [A.D. 153-193-217] The Instructor [Paedagogus] Book 1

On the Resurrection.

This was the day. “And a certain poor man named Lazarus was laid at the rich man’s gate, full of sores, desiring to be filled with the crumbs which fell from the rich man’s table.” This is the grass. Well, the rich man was punished in Hades, being made partaker of the fire; while the other flourished again in the Father’s bosom.

Tertullian A Treatise On The Soul [A.D. 145-220.]

In hell the soul of a certain man is in torment, punished in flames, suffering excruciating thirst, and imploring from the finger of a happier soul, for his tongue, the solace of a drop of water. Do you suppose that this end of the blessed poor man and the miserable rich man is only imaginary? Then why the name of Lazarus in this narrative, if the circumstance is not in (the category of) a real occurrence? But even if it is to be regarded as imaginary, it will still be a testimony to truth and reality. For unless the soul possessed corporeality, the image of a soul could not possibly contain a finger of a bodily substance; nor would the Scripture feign a statement about the limbs of a body, if these had no existence.

Tertullian Part First [A.D. 145-220.]

9. A Treatise On The Soul Chapter 57

Moreover, the fact that Hades is not in any case opened for (the escape of) any soul, has been firmly established by the Lord in the person of Abraham, in His representation of the poor man at rest and the rich man in torment.

The Epistles Of Cyprian (A.D. 200-258) Epistle 54 To Cornelius, Concerning Fortunatus And Felicissimus, Or Against The Heretics

Whence also that rich sinner who implores help from Lazarus, then laid in Abraham’s bosom, and established in a place of comfort, while he, writhing in torments, is consumed by the heats of burning flame, suffers most punishment of all parts of his body in his mouth and his tongue
, because doubtless in his mouth and his tongue he had most sinned.

Methodius Fragments On The History Of Jonah (A.D. 260-312)

But souls, being rational bodies, are arranged by the Maker and Father of all things into members which are visible to reason, having received this impression. Whence, also, in Hades, as in the case of Lazarus and the rich man, they are spoken of as having a tongue, and a finger, and the other members; not as though they had with them another invisible body, but that the souls themselves, naturally, when entirely stripped of their covering, are such according to their essence.

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
the name of the thread is wrong in its thinking in the fact that our bodies die but not our soul witch lasts for ever and ever that's why we have two choices heaven or hell :cool:
If the soul does not die, why does Ezekiel 18:4 say "the soul who sins shall die"? And why does Jesus tell us to be afraid of the one who can destroy the soul in Gehenna in Matthew 10:28? Where does the Bible say that the souls of the wicked last forever and ever? And if the wicked last forever and ever, why does the Bible say that the wicked shall be no more? (Psalm 37:10)

We have two choices, eternal life in Christ or no eternal life if we reject Christ. The condition of not having life is called "death". Not having eternal life does not mean having eternal life in Hell being tortured.

And this is what the Bible says. Just consider what the Bible says instead of the unbiblical tradition of eternal torture in Hell.

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I used to hold the view of eternal torture in Hell. Then I investigated what the Bible said and I changed my view to match that of the Bible. The arguments used to support eternal torture do not hold water, so I am not convinced by them. If the Bible said "The wicked will go to Hell when they die, where they will be tortured alive forever". I would accept that. Since the Bible says "The wages of sin is death", I will accept that. People don't want to be convinced that the wages of sin really is death, but why don't they accept what the Bible says? These are people who say that they believe the Bible, but when the Bible contradicts their beliefs, that flies out the window.

Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Wrong on several accounts. I do not use the Jewish Encyclopedia for my definition of hell.
Wrong, both times! I did not use the Jewish Encyclopedia [JE] for the definition of hell. I don't think that I have ever quoted the JE hell article in this forum.
No I do not! I have [sic not] quoted the JE Gehenna article more than once. UNQUOTE
James 1:26 (KJV) If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.
:doh:
Post #849. . . When Nebuchadnezzar descended into hell, [Sheol] all its inhabitants were afraid that he was coming to rule over them (Shab. 149a; comp. Isa. xiv. 9-10). . . .
Post #534 Does all this have a purpose? While these views are somewhat interesting, if one wants to know what the Jews believed about Hell, consult Jewish sources. As you can see, contrary to your sources, the ancient Jews did believe in hell and they called it both sheol and Gehenna. Scripture highlighted in blue.
Post #135 Jewish Encyclopedia – Satan
Post #247 This reflects how many, not all, modern orthodox Jews interpret the posted scripture, but it does not address how the Jews at the time of Jesus interpreted them. For that one must consult historical writings such as the Jewish Encyclopedia, Talmud, Mishna, ETC. all available online.
Post #118 When you go to a website that does not believe in hell, you will find only information which supports that view. The ancient Jews believed in a place of unending conscious punishment and they called it both Sheol and Gehenna.
Jewish Encyclopedia, GEHENNA by : Kaufmann Kohler Ludwig Blau

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.