Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
[Please, note: This topic solicits the responses of those who practise Messianic and non-Messianic Judaism only.]

In recently viewing the archived articles on Netivyah.org , which cites a writing by the director of the Straus Center for Torah and Western Thought at Yeshiva University, Meir Yaakov Soloveichik ( The Virtue of Hate | Netivyah ). It discusses the differences and similarities between the Jewish and christian thoughts on hate and its historical application towards what the Rabbi refers to as the "frightfully wicked".

I am interested in the views of other Messianic believers - as well as those who are familiar with this discussion in Judaism at-large - as to whether or not hate can be used correctly, and whether or not there is such a thing as someone "frightfully wicked" to whom it must be directed, in the context described, while being obedient to HaShem and His Messiah. Feel free to make necessary observations.

Last edited:

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
God hates. In His righteousness there are "things" He hates.
Revelation 2:6
But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitanes, which I also hate.

Then there are people that God hates.
Psalm 5:5
The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity.

Upvote 0

GedaliahMaegil

Messianic Ger Toshav - not christian
Jun 19, 2020
California
Visit site
✟71,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
There a number of other examples, whether given in the articles (cf. Shimshon at the end of his account or Shemu`el with `Agag) or found elsewhere in the Word (e.g. Tehillim 97 and 109).

Upvote 0

Yusuphhai

Messianic Arabic-Semitic Chinese
Oct 19, 2005
Beijing China
✟170,536.00
Country
China
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
IMO, the more horrible punishment than “Be Hated” is not worth paying close attention to. Some darkness is not worth showing light to drive it out, let it be darkness forever is more serious punishment than driving out the darkness.

Upvote 0