The Views of Biblical Authors: Help Needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

leecappella

<font size="3&quot ;>DO
Mar 28, 2003
Visit site
✟8,633.00
Faith
Christian
I need some assistance in finding scripture texts on some supposed views of biblical authors. I've read that many of the ancients subscribed to the view that the earth was flat and supported by pillars. They also believed that the earth was the center of the universe, with the sun and planets revolving around the earth. Are there any biblical references to support what these statements claim some biblical authors believed? If so, please post them for me. Thanks.

reformedfan

Senior Veteran
Dec 18, 2003
http://lightintheblack.co.uk/forum/portal.php
Visit site
✟12,904.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There is a kid's book, called "The Librarian that Measured the Earth".
I can't remember who wrote it, but it's about just that, a guy from the old days who knew the earth wasn't flat & estimated it's circumference to an astonishing degree of accuracy in spite of low tech, I mean no- tech life was back then.
Greenleaf (homeschooling supply co.) prob has a web site & if ya get their free catalog you can see why the flat earth assertion is just a lie made up by heretics that like it when religious ppl look like idiots.

Upvote 0

leecappella

<font size="3&quot ;>DO
Mar 28, 2003
Visit site
✟8,633.00
Faith
Christian
reformedfan said:
I can't remember who wrote it, but it's about just that, a guy from the old days who knew the earth wasn't flat & estimated it's circumference to an astonishing degree of accuracy in spite of low tech, I mean no- tech life was back then.
Greenleaf (homeschooling supply co.) prob has a web site & if ya get their free catalog you can see why the flat earth assertion is just a lie made up by heretics that like it when religious ppl look like idiots.

me: Thanks for the info. I may look into that. I really, really would like some biblical references to the earth being flat and how other planets revolve around the earth, if there are any! Thanks again. (Sorry for the bold. It was not intentional. I copied text from my email and pasted it here.)

Upvote 0

Philip

Orthodoxy: Old School, Hard Core Christianity
Jun 23, 2003
Orlando, FL
Visit site
✟7,106.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
reformedfan said:

I assume you are refering to Eratosthenes. He was a Greek pagan in Alexandria. He is not associated with the Bible at all. While many ancients knew that the world was round, most (if not all) believed that the earth was the center of the universe.

BTW, Eratosthenes's method was not "no-tech". It was rather ingenious and required a strong understanding of geometry.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.