Lord I believe; help my unbelief.
Oct 7, 2008
Kansas
✟11,433.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I originally posted this in the charismatic/pentecostal forum, but I realized it's really my testimony of coming to faith in Jesus and where I'm at in that walk.

Of all the passages in the Bible that I seem to reflect most, it has to be writer of Romans lament about his struggles to do what he knows he must and what is required by Jesus:

For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I do.
(Rom. 7:19)

With all the "Do's" in the verse I always think of it as the "doo bee doo bee doo" verse. The Frank Sinatra verse. As mnemonics go, it's pretty weak, but it works for me.

My faith has always vacillated between cold and tepid. Recently though I've determined to draw closer to God. Trying to keep an open and tender heart before Jesus and trying to listen for the Holy Spirit's checks throughout the day, e.g., maybe I shouldn't be in a conversation disparaging a co-worker, maybe I shouldn't watch that TV show, maybe I shouldn't be looking at that woman that way, etc.

Before I became a Christian I read numerous apologetic books and a lot of Christian biographies and Christian history. I didn't come to faith through them, but I did think at the time, if Christianity were true and Jesus is real, that would be the greatest thing on earth and I could understand why folks who did know this (or at least thought they did) were so zealous and unashamed of Jesus.

I have a good friend who's zealous like that. He doesn't think twice about going to a restaurant and pulling out a big ole' thick Bible to read and talk about during the meal. It mortified me before I was a Christian and those public displays of a love for Jesus still makes me uncomfortable whenever we go to lunch. He's a Christian that "knows that he knows that he knows." I'm a Christian that is forever praying the prayer of Thomas, "Lord I believe, help my unbelief!"

I decided to become a Christian after reading a quote that basically said, the world says you have to see it to believe it, but God says you have to believe it to see it. I could memorize all the C.S. Lewis, Os Guiness or Josh McDowell books out there and have an assent of apologetics, but I needed to take the step of faith and repent, confess and believe in Jesus. I had to take that step of faith and believe before I would know what Christianity really meant. After I did that, there were no tingles, fireworks, or tears. No enveloping peace and joy.

There've been small quiet moments of God's presence and hand in my life, but I so desparately want to come to that assured faith, knowledge and revelation of a Jesus who is really and truly standing besides me. I have all the head knowledge of Christianity I can handle. As a lawyer I make a living handling, interpreting and synthesizing words and ideas. I don't want to have my Christianity be the sum total of head knowledge and an occasional prod by a well meaning believer to "only believe."

Maybe that's why I'm drawn to the pentecostal/charismatic churches. I need that experience and encounter with God. I want to embody that quip that says a person with an experience of God cannot be swayed by a person with an argument about God. I don't want to chase after every sign and wonder revival meeting, but I do get a great longing when reading about testimonies of people who have life altering baptisms in the Holy Spirit or who have had the very presence of God so overwhelm them that they're never the same.

Until that encounter with the uncreated God, I'll still be living out Frank's verse, sometimes cold, sometimes tepid, but I won't leave the faith. Like Peter answered Jesus when asked if he would leave, "Lord where else would I go?"​

A

ayeess

wow what you said was so powerful... I know exactly what you're talking about I was not able to have an intimate relationship with God until I felt his love. In the word, it says he who does not love does not know God because God is Love. Love isn't just an attribute of God's, it's his essence...it's what he IS. And when the presence of the God comes in the form of the Holy Spirit...this is what you feel.

I'm actually a VERY NEW Christian so my experiences are limited... however, I recall this visiting pastor at my church proclaim at the end of the service, that the spirit of God was in the Church and that if we wanted to feel his presence we should lift up our hands... I was very nervous at the idea of this because it sounded like something I would love to experience;however, at the back of my mind there was this fear that if I lifted up my hands nothing would happen and because of this I would have to stop believing in God. There was a moment of debate in my mind but I eventually almost forced myself to lift up my hands...and when I did this... I felt drops of something just fall into my being from the crown of my head...I cannot fully articulate what I experienced but I would say it was akin to experiencing drops of Heaven in my being... I felt so at peace and loved... After the experience, despite how real and wonderful it was to me, I experienced doubt..and I thought I should compare my experience to other Christians and I went to youtube and this young man was talking about how this song that had the lyrics 'holy spirit rain/reign down' and he had always assumed the song meant 'reign' as in holy spirit rule over my life..however, at church services, he felt the presence of the holy spirit in the form of rain drops all over his body and this transformed what the song meant to him..this confirmed my experience to me..considering this man from the U.S who I had never met,never spoke to,could testify to the same experience as myself and this was because we worshiped and believed in the SAME GOD.. I checked scriptures and in psalm 23 King David states "he anoints my head with oil'...There are various methods God manifest himself through the holy spirit..there are times he pours himself into you like a river..."He opened the rock, and water gushed out; It ran in the dry places like a river" Psalm 105:41. In Isaiah 44:3, it states "For I will pour water on him who is thirsty,
And floods on the dry ground;
I will pour My Spirit on your descendants,
And My blessing on your offspring.

The spirit is likened unto many things including oil or water. The bible is eloquently written and utilizes metaphors and imagery however, I feel that this is not an aesthetic attempt to sound pleasing in an auditory sense I believe it is just the best way to describe the presence of the Lord. Our GOD is divine and SUPERNATURAL thus encounters with him are also divine and supernatural.In the former verse, it states if YOU ARE THIRSTY HE WILL GIVE YOU WATER...In other words,if you long for him and his presence he will reveal himself to you... and his presence is supernatural...This sentiment is repeated in the New Testament,when Jesus is speaking to the Samaritan woman he says "
“If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water” (John 4:10). Jesus is saying if you ask,you will receive the holy spirit and with this comes God's supernatural presence. His presence is overwhelming...it's the same thing that made King David jump and dance. He was so moved by God's presence that he could not contain himself, he had to react, he had to dance and worship.

"14And David danced before the LORD with all his might; and David was girded with a linen ephod. 15So David and all the house of Israel brought up the ark of the LORD with shouting, and with the sound of the trumpet.
16And as the ark of the LORD came into the city of David, Michal Saul's daughter looked through a window, and saw king David leaping and dancing before the LORD; and she despised him in her heart" (2 Samuel 6:14-16).

I really feel for you in your situation and I have prayed for you but I think you should humble yourself before GOD, and this may require you coming before him on your knees and with tears... and ask him to send the holy spirit into your life... The holy spirit is God's presence here on earth...it is what people experience when they are filled with God's love and peace. There are various ways to experience this as I have described earlier, a lot of times at Church after worship you can feel his presence SO HEAVILY and this coincides with his word because in 2 Chronicles 5:11-14 NKJV it states

"11And it came to pass when the priests came out of the Most Holy Place, 12and the Levites who were the singers, all those of Asaph and Heman and Jeduthun, with their sons and their brethren, stood at the east end of the altar, clothed in white linen, having cymbals, stringed instruments and harps, and with them one hundred and twenty priests sounding with trumpets-- 13indeed it came to pass, when the trumpeters and singers were as one, to make one sound to be heard in praising and thanking the LORD, and when they lifted up their voice with the trumpets and cymbals and instruments of music, and praised the LORD, saying: "For He is good, for His mercy endures forever," that the house, the house of the LORD, was filled with a cloud, 14so that the priests could not continue ministering because of the cloud; for the glory of the LORD filled the house of God."

In this verse, God's spirit is likened to a cloud and he fills the place of their worship. Worshiping in Church or even on your bed at home produces an atmosphere conducive to God's spirit..you are welcoming his holy spirit to commune with you and when this communion happens it isn't a mundane experience.. HOW CAN IT BE? You are experiencing the most high God.. It is then you feel the power of the presence of God.

God rewards those who diligently seek him therefore you need to stay in his word, pray without ceasing and most importantly worship.. Yes you have the head knowledge as you have explained but just open up your mouth and praise him, thank him,worship him...Focus on him...Lose the constrains of self and ego and consciously direct your mind and self to worship and praise him and you will feel his presence..

Isaiah 30:29-30 state "29 And you will sing
as on the night you celebrate a holy festival;
your hearts will rejoice
as when people playing pipes go up
to the mountain of the LORD,
to the Rock of Israel.
30 The LORD will cause people to hear his majestic voice
and will make them see his arm coming down"

When you cry out to God,when you sing to him..God does not leave you standing by youself..he responds...SORRY about the lengthiness of this post and I really HOPE you will come into the presence of GOD because HE HAS PROMISED US THIS, in these end times, that he will pour out his holy spirit(Joel 2:28).. SO PLEASE pray for the holy spirit and I will continue to pray for you as well... Hope this was helpful in any sort of way...

Upvote 0