Diet Tips -
1. Eat a variety of fruits, grains, vegetables, legumes, seeds, and nuts
2. Avoid animal protein.
3. Limit fat, sugar, and salt
4. Eat a good breakfast, a moderate lunch, and a light supper
5. Don't eat too late at night
6. Don't eat between meals - allow five hours between meals
7. Eat at regular times
8. Watch your combinations or foods - don't mix fruit and vegetables.
9. Avoid refined grains or sugars.
10. Choose foods that will build good blood

To most people in the industrialized world a vegetarian lifestyle conjures up images of carrots and lettuce leaves, but nothing could be further from the truth. Vegetarian diets can be very satisfying indeed, as underscored by most of mankind that has subsisted for much of human history on vegetarian or near-vegetarian diets. Even in this modern age, the vast majority of the people who inhabit this planet subsist on a largely vegetarian diet. A prime example are the Hunzas of the Himalayas who are known for their disease-free society and longetivity of life. The Tarahumara Indians of Mexico are also renowned for their stamina and vibrant health, yet both these tribes subsist on largely vegetarian whole-food diets. Vegetarian lifestyles are becoming more and more popular, and many people are adopting the vegetarian diet for reasons of health, religious beliefs, philosophical considerations or environmental convictions. However, not all the vegetarian practices dictated by some of these convictions are equally beneficial, and some of them, particularly those dictated by religious or metaphysical beliefs, can place severe restrictions on the utilization of certain foods. Moreover, some groups, in addition to following restrictive diets, shun the expertise of nutritional science and the medical profession, and run the risk of suffering malnutrition and associated diseases.

Vegetarians can be divided into various categories, depending on the range of foods which are included in the diet.

Vegan vegetarians: Avoid all animal products
Lacto vegetarians: Include dairy products in their diet
Lacto-ovo-vegetarians: Include dairy products and eggs in their diet

Dairy products should, if possible, not be included in the human diet, and the other animal products also have their health risks, particularly in view of modern husbandry practices and the rising incidence of animal food-borne diseases. However, a diet that excludes all animal products might seem restrictive, and indeed can be, if certain criteria are not met. The more restrictive one’s diet the greater the chance of developing deficiencies and nutrient-deficiency related diseases. Risks will increase if single plant food regimes are adopted such as diets consisting only of fruit or only of legumes or only of cereals. The higher diet levels of the Zen macrobiotic diet are, for example, made up entirely of cereals, and cases of scurvy, anemia, hypo-proteinaemia, hypocalcaemia and even death from malnutrition have resulted from this lifestyle.

Vegan vegetarian diets must be well planned, and special attention must be given to nutrients which occur in low levels or are absent from plant foods. Moreover, pregnant or lactating women and infants and growing children also need specific dietary consideration. However, if due consideration to these points is given, a total plant-based diet can supply all our dietary needs. At this point it can be emphasized again that a variety of plant foods, incorporating grains, nuts, seeds, legumes, fruits and vegetables, will supply ample nutrients for healthful living.

If combinations of cereals and legumes are used, protein-deficiency is extremely unlikely, and numerous studies have proved not only the adequacy, but even the superiority of plant proteins over those of animal origin. Indeed, the reverse is true in that it is difficult not to exceed recommended protein allowances on a varied vegetarian diet. It is only when calorie needs are not met that the body will preferentially utilize proteins as an energy source, and this may result in deficiencies. Such conditions are mostly found in populations where malnutrition is a common phenomenon.....The Vegan-Vegetarian Diet

Last edited:

Aceybee

Jun 30, 2004
✟15,591.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
this is probably the wrong place to ask, but its always bugged me.. is honey an animal product and therefore no go for vegans?
The only thing I have about vegans is that too many of them haven't done this research.. the amount of kids that I have seen ill and never really happy healthy kids because their parents cut out all animal products didn't make sure they were getting a balanced diet. I don't pity the parents as much as the kids who don't have the choice.. Its also been my experience that many of these kids have gone way out the other way and started some significantly unhealthy behaviours as soon as they were out of their parents influence.. is there someway we can get the message accross without trying to make it sound like the opposition? I dunno.. just thoughts

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟426,774.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
this is probably the wrong place to ask, but its always bugged me.. is honey an animal product and therefore no go for vegans?
The only thing I have about vegans is that too many of them haven't done this research.. the amount of kids that I have seen ill and never really happy healthy kids because their parents cut out all animal products didn't make sure they were getting a balanced diet. I don't pity the parents as much as the kids who don't have the choice.. Its also been my experience that many of these kids have gone way out the other way and started some significantly unhealthy behaviours as soon as they were out of their parents influence.. is there someway we can get the message accross without trying to make it sound like the opposition? I dunno.. just thoughts
I would say yes but this site has a different view...
Do Vegans Eat Honey or Use Beeswax? Nope | PETA

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Is an insect really classified as an animal? I know it is fauna rather than flora, but animal? The many lifegiving properties of honey are manifold.

As to PETA, I am very doubtful of almost everything they say. If they tell me the sky is blue I have to look up and see if it's true.

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟426,774.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, here is something surprising I came across, a way to fight the coronavirus....
"Eat healthy foods

What you eat and drink can make a huge difference in your overall health, according to registered dietitian nutritionist and cookbook author Maya Feller.

The first tip: drink lots and lots of water.

"Hydration is terribly important," Feller told Inside Edition. "For women, you want to drink two liters a day and for men, you want to have three liters."

Feller also said that certain foods can boost your immune system.

"You want to look for foods in their whole and minimally process formed," she said. "Berries are rich in antioxidants. Strawberries are a great source of Vitamin A and the darker berries have resveratrol, which is really important for immune health."

Other good foods are those rich in protein or fiber, including almonds, eggs and leafy greens."...
What Is 'Social Distancing'? And Other Steps to Prevent Coronavirus

Upvote 0