The value of our epistemological method in coming to a belief...

Bugeyedcreepy

Jun 7, 2016
Canberra, Australia
✟88,248.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
This is a continuation of a conversation between myself and @mmksparbud on examining our epistemology in coming to our beliefs - continuing here due to the appropriateness of this forum for such topics, and of course to not hijack an unrelated thread elsewhere... Original conversation started here: Creationists: Demonstrate that wolves and dogs weren't created independently

Original comments not included due to length and distribution, but this has been going around in circles anyway, so I suspect the gist will be apparent soon enough.

I have to mention also that as a non-believer, I may be demonstrating the view of Christianity as seen by an outsider, so my intention in such scenarios is not to ridicule, blaspheme, or in any other way lessen Christianity in this thread, just merely showing Christians here why and how other points of view don't see Christianty in the same way as its subscribers do.

Last edited:

Bugeyedcreepy

Jun 7, 2016
Canberra, Australia
✟88,248.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yes, I read Freud and others and took 1 year in Psychology. Frankly, I found old Freud a bit of a wacko!! But that's just my opinion. And you seem to be equating a one time memory to an ongoing, day to day experience. My faith is renewed every day. I read my bible and I know Him. You can call it Harvey the Rabbit if you want--but God is my friend and I believe in the bible. You really can't explain an inward experience of this nature. To me---it is accurate and true and totally real. You may wish to explain it as complete self-delusion. There is no little pill that will obliterate it. It can't be put down to "I forgot to take my meds today!"
Same with every other religious claim. These "ongoing experiences" aren't just unique to your God, have you never come across an ardent believer of another religion and had a talk to them about their experiences?? You agreed that all of your "confirmations" are not direct communications with your God, they're always through the actions of others and circumstantial chance events in your favour, etc. that you simply chalk up as another confirmation of your God without so much as a thought otherwise. That's not even remotely critical examination.
I believe in the God of the bible because I can not believe in the God of the Quran, or the many gods
of Hindu, or the philosophy of Confucius or Buddha or any other god.
Yes, yes, just as every other religious adherent says exactly the same for you and your beliefs - again, we still have no difference here.
Why not? Because my God loved me, my God left His eternal body and place of immense grandeur to be born a human in poverty and then die a gruesome death to pay for my sins so that I can be with Him. None of the others did that. None of the others will give me eternal life just to be with me.
Debatable, especially if you're a woman. But this point aside, why did your God not just change the rules by which you're judged if he loves you so much? He wrote the rules after all, didn't he? He is the one who judges you based on the criteria he himself put in place, does he not? He created Heaven and Hell and he is the ultimate arbiter for where you end up. There's no need to come down in human form to sacrifice himself to himself to create a loophole for rules that he put in place to start with. After all, these rules do change and there's not even a need for them to be written down - take eating shellfish and wearing of mixed fabrics for example. Same with working on the sabbath, getting tattoos, eating pork, etc. All of these commandments are apparently non-existent now despite Jesus explicitly telling you in Matthew 5:17-19 that "Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled." - earth is still here, yet Christians rarely uphold any of these commandments, let alone the "least" of them.
There are plenty of religions that have eternal afterlives, each with their own requirements, of course.
He values me as an individual. The others do not. You have to placate an angry god in all the others, this one whatever He asks of me, even to the giving of my finances, is for my benefit and He rewards me for it.
Yes, yes, the Eternal creator of the Universe, who has existed for an eternity and guides every fateful event and breathes life into every living thing, needs 10% of your paycheque every month... I can see why he values and rewards you.
He will not let me live a life of self, the others are more interested that you have wealth or stuff, or will supposedly do your bidding to get rid of or make someone else's life miserable so you can have a better one. Mine won't do that for He loves the person that offends me also and wants to give Him the same as me--eternal life with Him.
Unless of course you don't placate your angry God to have this eternal life with him, because then you'll go to Hell and burn for eternity, right?
Mine already died to give me that gift, I don't have to do this or that for it, just accept it.
Who wrote the rules that says in order for you to get this "gift", someone had to die? Why couldn't you just be given this "gift" without this needless death?
In so doing there are ways to learn about what He is like so we may become like Him, and live in harmony with all His creation. yes, there are rules to follow--such as the 10 commandments--but those are done out of love for Him and for our fellow man, they are not done to "get on His good side."
but ultimately, are you saying there's no need to placate your angry God by following the ten commandments if you accept the unnecessary sacrifice happened, or could you still go to Hell and burn for eternity at the hands of your angry God?
sorry--but an explosion has never produced order and mathematical precision. To me, that is not evidence but faith in an explosion and the passing of time. All I can see time do is provide decay.
I agree. No explosion has ever produced order and mathematical precision as far as I know either, good thing that has nothing to do with how the universe came to be how it is now, right?
That my god chose to die for my sins is significant me because no other god would that just to be with me.
Still have no reason to believe this is the case.
The concept of sin is what bother you.
Not in the least. If there were a God to transgress though, then I'd revisit my position.
My God is a pure and holy being and sin can not live in His presence. Just like a drop of water can not possibly live in the presence of the sun. Sin is a germ, a bacteria, in His light. For want of better words.
Well, even the Bible states otherwise - it states he created evil, it also states he is a jealous God and he routinely orders the complete extermination of entire races, right down to babies and livestock in their name. If any modern society did that, they'd be rightfully labelled inhumane barbaric monsters.
It is nothing to you, because you harbor it, it is an extension of who you are.
Oh? so does that make me evil? is that what you're labelling me as? Is everyone who doesn't believe in unverifiable claims of your particular religion also harbouring "sin", or is this a special place you're going just for me?

If you can point out anyone I'm transgressing against, I'll make amends. Is that "sin"? If your God exists and I transgress against him, then I'll gleefully make amends to him too.
To Him, it is an ugly, loathsome, parasite that ends up corrupting your heart and mind and will destroy you and so He wants to get rid of it for our own sake and that of the rest of the universe. The only way that anyone with sin in them can be saved is for someone to cover those sins--and Jesus chose to die so that His blood paid the price of our sins and we will not die in the presence of God.
So we're still talking about Sin, right? as in specifically transgression against your God? Why did God have to kill himself to create this loophole, why couldn't he just change the criteria by which we are judged? after all, that's really all that's happened - only he added the unnecessary extra step of killing himself in honour of himself as well.
You sin you die---that is the simple truth of things for, as I said, sin can not live in His presence.
But everybody sins according to your religion. So everybody dies, right? According to you, that's not what happens. Instead, if you can bring yourself to believe in something for which there's no tangible evidence, then you will be magically covered from this death, even though you weren't there to see this "sacrifice", nor does your God ever turn up to explain it personally. For rational people who understand how to evaluate evidence, we can't just decide to believe in something without the prerequisite evidence - your God would know this, so why doesn't he?
But God is not only love--He is justice. Justice requires each of us to pay for our own sins. When Jesus covers those sins, there is no death, those who refuse His blood for their sins, can not therefore have their sins covered and will loose their lives and pay for their sins according to how much and how bad their sins were.
This statement is in direct conflict. Your God's Justice doesn't require you to pay for your sins at all, you only have to believe on no evidence that your God killed himself in his own honour, and this will allegedly wash away said sins. This isn't justice.
Yes--I would not have lasted long in a physics class--I simply am confounded by numbers. I don't even like delving into the bible prophecies that involve dates--too many numbers! Science and religion do not cancel each other out. Our faith has many mathematicians, scientists, meteorologists, and all the rest---we have Universities that teach those sciences. We also have those that were atheists who now are not. We have hospitals all over the world. Loma Linda is just one. In fact, most SDA's are in the medical field.
Same with Islamic, Jewish and Hindu hospitals, respites, schools and universities too. Also, there are just as many Secular institutions of health care and education in the civilised world as there is for any one particular religion.

Same with all forms of religious believers who are now atheists too - I can easily make the argument that more believers having become atheists than there are atheists who have become believers, so not sure why you point this out...
Yes--I believe we can be. Jesus kept His humanity--He still bears the scars. If tempted (and there will be no one to tempt us)all that is needed is for Him to show His scars. It is out of love that we are with Him. It is out of love I never cheated on my husband, it is out of love that I did everything I could to make him happy and he me. It is that love that will keep us from sinning.
Ahh, so you are perfect then? I thought only Jesus was perfect? Any case, if you can spend an eternity not sinning, how come we were made sinners here on earth? Why not give us the "heaven" standard of character while we are here on earth? Wouldn't that be far easier for God? after all, if you can go to heaven and not sin for an eternity, then either you aren't you (those dreaded robots that God didn't want) or it's possible for us to be sinless in nature after all and God could've made us in this image with this sinless free will in the first place. Why didn't he just do that?
The whole universe now knows what sin does--they all saw it at the cross. Sin will not rear it's ugly head again.
Nope, not so. I don't know, every contemporary record of the time of Jesus supposed crucifixion shows no record of it, the Jews of which Jesus was one, didn't record any miracles and resurrections, so on. So really, it's the most underwhelmingly recorded very important event in all of history. As has already been mentioned, the Bible is simply not considered a reliable record outside those invested in it by faith.

Upvote 0

Bugeyedcreepy

Jun 7, 2016
Canberra, Australia
✟88,248.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Deu 22:23 If a damsel that is a virgin be betrothed unto an husband, and a man find her in the city, and lie with her;
Deu 22:24 Then ye shall bring them both out unto the gate of that city, and ye shall stone them with stones that they die; the damsel, because she cried not, being in the city; and the man, because he hath humbled his neighbour's wife: so thou shalt put away evil from among you.

OK--you have to understand the culture and implications. This is basically saying that she gave consent. Being in a city meant there were people about, and would have heard her.
No worries - so if this is the case, can you point to the section where a damsel is raped when she does scream loud enough, and what happens to the Man (we already know the man gets a half-priced wife if he rapes an unbetrothed virgin, no matter how loud she screams, or not - in either city or country).

Also, how is it we have a more humane implication of Law in first world nations today and women aren't sold to their rapists for half price anymore, did God not know we could have a better society?
She was a virgin, though still considered a married woman (betrothed was far more than an engagement by todays standards, it required a divorce to be un- betrothed)Reading the bible you learn to dig into how the Jewish mind works and how they word things. In other words, she was guilty of adultery. He was stoned, not for adultery, but for sex outside of marriage, and had done so with another mans wife.
He's not stoned to death for out-of-wedlock marriage, he's stoned to death for violating another man's property. need I remind you what happens to the man if he rapes an unbetrothed virgin, no matter his marital status? Old testament marriage isn't between one man and one woman, it's between a man and as many women as that man can afford to keep. this might've changed since then, despite an "unchanging God", so not sure what happened and who actually made that change there... but it is throughout the old testament in places like Deuteronomy, Exodus and even Genesis, Kings, Samuel, Numbers, etc.
It was the Egyptian tenacious believe in their god's that God had to destroy.
BY THE KILLING OF INNOCENT NEWBORNS??? Let's just assume for a moment that your version of Christianity is false, and I'm a God of some as yet unnamed religion. What would you think if I was to murder the babies of said Christians to punish them for believing in your particular religion? Do I have the same status and laudable goals as your God??
They felt their god's would protect them from everything. God had to show them, their god's were nothing--you cant blaspheme what is not a god. Only He is God. The last god to die in the eyes of the Egyptians, was the god of the afterlife, symbolized by the firstborn. It is what finally got Pharaoh to let His people go. And that is what God had to, get His people out of Egypt. Next time you're in that position ---you go right ahead and do what you feel is best for all concerned.
well, he didn't because the Pharaoh was going to let them go a couple of times, but God hardened his heart so he could continue with these plagues, that's if you go by what the bible says, that is. I think you said you believed something different, and I've heard a few literalists say those particular verses aren't to be read literally after all, they have to be interpreted in a special way - perhaps with squinty eyes, or something.

Upvote 0

Bugeyedcreepy

Jun 7, 2016
Canberra, Australia
✟88,248.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Hapi- Egyptian God of the Nile This Egyptian God was a water bearer. Egyptian Plague- Water Turned to Blood

Heket- Egyptian Goddess of Fertility, Water, Renewal Heket the Egyptian Goddess, had the head of a frog. Egyptian Plague- Frogs coming from the Nile River

Geb- Egyptian God of the Earth The Egyptian God Geb, was over the dust of the earth. Egyptian Plague- Lice from the dust of the earth

Khepri- Egyptian God of creation, movement of the Sun, rebirth Khepri, the Egyptian god had the head of a fly. Egyptian Plague- Swarms of Flies

Hathor-Egyptian Goddess of Love and Protection Usually this Egyptian Goddess was depicted with the head of a cow. Egyptian Plague- Death of Cattle and Livestock Moses

Isis- Egyptian Goddess of Medicine and Peace Egyptian Plague- Ashes turned to Boils and Sores

Nut- Egyptian Goddess of the Sky Egyptian Plague- Hail rained down in the form of fire

Seth- Egyptian God of Storms and Disorder Egyptian Plague- Locusts sent from the sky
Ra- The Sun God Egyptian Plague- Three Days of Complete Darkness

Pharaoh- The Ultimate Power of Egypt. He was god Egyptian Plague- Death of the Firstborn

This was all I could find on the firstborn. I don't remember where I found the responsibilities of the firstborn anymore.

"This was the hour of the eldest son who stepped forward to perform his duties of heir and successor, satisfying all the needs, spiritual and corporal, of his father in the hereafter."
Funerary practices: Preparing the body for interment, processions and burial
Ahh, I see now, thanks for that. - Next question, is there any reference to these ten plagues occurring anywhere in Egypt in any record outside the bible?
You have to go back to when and why they all went to Egypt. It was during a feminine in the middle east and only Egypt had food because Joseph, a son of Jacob (Israel) had become 2nd in command to Pharaoh after his brothers sold him into slavery.
Gen_30:24 to Ex 1:8

God had told Abraham about the enslavement long before it happened.
King James Bible
And he said unto Abram, Know of a surety that thy seed shall be a stranger in a land that is not theirs, and shall serve them; and they shall afflict them four hundred years;

God doesn't always interfere with what He knows will happen, for He sees beyond that.
Cool.
It is the way that Jewish thought went--whatever happened was because of God, and they said God hardened His heart--He didn't, it was hardened by himself, but God knew He would not relent easily. He was stubborn.
Okay, so the writers of the Bible were getting it wrong when they wrote that the Pharaoh was about to let them flee? It specifically states in Exodus 10:1 that God stepped in to harden the Pharaoh's heart, does this need to be interpreted and not plainly read? If that's the case, shouldn't someone correct that mistake in the bible so it reads correct?
To you---the bible says it originated with Satan. Don't you ever ask yes or no questions or only those that require a manuscript to explain??!!
If the Bible is good to be plainly read and good for instruction, then shouldn't these questions be non-existent, let alone hard to explain? I still disagree that the bible blames Satan, because your God specifically stated in Isaiah 45:7 that he himself created all things, even Evil.

I'm still perplexed on how we can come up with better wartime morals and practices in our modern day than your God could seem to muster with all his omnipotence back when he was supposedly still active on the ground. so to speak.
Dividing up--or sharing--the virgins among the soldiers is still practiced today-0go to any war torn country and it will be the same. Yah--He is very much aware--and pretty soon it will all come to a screeching halt. It us what happens when sin runs amuck. That is why He will end it one day.
The only thing I can say is this:
Act_17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
Time is almost up. No more meeting half way.
Again, warcrimes still existing today doesn't give your God a pass to commit & condone warcrimes at any time, especially if you want anyone to believe this notion that your God is "Love", because that's an untenable juxtaposition of the highest order.
Through others by them asking me to give my heart to Jesus--I kept saying no. Your choice--believe in the god of the bible, believe in some other god--or believe in none. He won't force you. One day you will find out for sure.
Why would you attribute other believers asking you to believe as God asking you to believe? Is it your belief now that you believing in God and asking others to believe, also the action of your God? I thought God didn't interfere with free will?
Some of God's promises are conditional--on those following His ways. However, Jesus is the offshoot of David---His thrown is still stable for Jesus has it and always will.
Not sure that's the case either - unless you agree that God will chastise Jesus with the sticks of men when he steps out of line? Also, God's promises aren't really promises then? like all those promises such as Nebuchadnezzar walking the streets of the fortress island of Tyr? That Jesus would be back before some of his apostles tasted death? and the sacking of Egypt, and all of Egypt being barren and unlivable for 40 years, etc.?
Yes--and that is what it means. He was created perfect until sin was found in him--that sin came from within him. He was lifted up because of his beauty and his lust for power, he wanted to be God. And that is what he constantly dwelt on. Like I said--Lucifer had a perfect free will also.
Not perfect then. If you acknowledge it's possible for you, a fallible human being to exist in heaven for an eternity with free will, then Lucifer being created perfect with a perfect free will wouldn't result in ego and self-entitlement unless he wasn't perfect to start with. Not sure why this is such a difficult hurdle - but it is understandable that such a contradictory position has to be held when you come to the table with apriori beliefs that aren't allowed to change, and then are confronted with facts that show these apriori beliefs to be wrong. This is the problem with an epistemology that's based on unverifiable feelings and beliefs.
How can there be evidence of something that humanity is unable to see? The spirit realm can be seen only when they allow themselves to be seen, or God unveils our eyes.
Because if as you say, your God loves us and wants us to believe in him, then he would reveal himself to us.. And before you go there, wouldn't you agree that Lucifer knows unequivocally that God is real, yet you allege he still turned against God, so it isn't a question of free will. There's also the Damascus road experience, and Moses saw God's back end, etc. You even believe he comes to you through dreams, vague feelings and the actions of others, so he has the power to clearly reveal himself to everyone, yet doesn't.
What failed prophecies are you talking about? Who's defeat will be spectacularly embarrassing? Only one that is going to happen to is Satan.
The versus you quoted ( Isaiah 14) refer to that narrative where God was going to subject the Babylonian King to his own spectacular defeat after King Ahaz died despite the earlier prophecy in Isaiah 7 where Ahaz was prophecised to be victorious over the two opposing Kings (including this Babylonian King that your God is focused on here) where Isaiah 7 stated that before "Immanuel", a chld born of a virgin knew to choose good and avoid evil, and to prefer honey over curd, and it didn't go that way after all. Why did you quote them for?
I agree that I have no verifiable evidence for you-I have enough for me. And I can only state my believes to you and the rest is between you and God.
Well, if only God cared enough to show me he's real - but as I keep pointing out, we are known to be fallible and this is exemplified by the very fact that there are way more people of faith that subscribe to other Gods that have nothing to do with your religion, yet they too claim to have the exact same unverifiable evidence convincing them that their God, and not your God, is the undoubted true God. How do I as an outsider look at any of you and tell who is the real God from what you provide in evidence? If you can't provide convincing evidence to someone other than you, then are you really justified in your belief to start with?
There is only one God. The rest are man made.
I would contend they're all man made given every other believer of every other religion says the same about your God.
You are good for now. There will come a day when you will not be. For you have the same evidence as I and millions of others who have chosen Him and therefore have no excuse.
None that's verifiable, right? If God were real, that God would understand the nature of verifiable evidence, and would provide it. He certainly wouldn't provide a creation that gives us a universe full of verifiable evidence that shows it to be billions of years old, and that we evolved along with all other life on this planet from a common ancestor, right?
One day you will die--can't escape it.
Agreed.
And day you will face Him.
Debatable.
And you will not be able to say you didn't have enough evidence-for you do, you choose to not see it.
Again, you (and apparently your God) don't understand the nature of verifiable evidence. Understanding verifiable evidence is the reason why Science is so successful and useful.
I am not wrong.
just like every other believer of every other religion claims.
If the real god were any of those others--I wouldn't want any of them anyway! This is the only one I want.
What would you say to another believer of another religion who said this to you?
What would you say to a parent of another religion who's religion forbade treating a trivially treatable disease in their child that would definitely kill them if they didn't get treatment?
Is belief more important than verifiable evidence?

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Our conversation has been deemed as off topic. I do not know about continuing it and offending the OP. The mods may end up shutting this thread down. But seeing as nobody seems to be getting on topic, I will answer---if anyone complains--I will then cease and desist.

Same with every other religious claim. These "ongoing experiences" aren't just unique to your God, have you never come across an ardent believer of another religion and had a talk to them about their experiences?? You agreed that all of your "confirmations" are not direct communications with your God, they're always through the actions of others and circumstantial chance events in your favour, etc. that you simply chalk up as another confirmation of your God without so much as a thought otherwise. That's not even remotely critical examination.

Yes, I know other religious believers have "experiences." As I said. I have chosen to believe in the bible as the word of God and I judge "experiences" by what the bible says. My communications with God are through the bible, through what others say, and do but mostly through what I have experienced as thoughts coming from the Holy Spirit. These are not audible conversations, they are thoughts that come into my mind in relation to what I have been reading, in answer to prayers, in answer to questions I have asked.
As I believe that there is a God, the God of the bible, I also then believe in the Satan of the bible and what he is able or not able to do. What thoughts I receive I compare to what the bible says. If they are in agreement, I accept them, if not, I reject those thoughts as not of God--they may be springing up from my own selfishness and stubbornness or are from the "other side."

Debatable, especially if you're a woman. But this point aside, why did your God not just change the rules by which you're judged if he loves you so much? He wrote the rules after all, didn't he? He is the one who judges you based on the criteria he himself put in place, does he not? He created Heaven and Hell and he is the ultimate arbiter for where you end up. There's no need to come down in human form to sacrifice himself to himself to create a loophole for rules that he put in place to start with. After all, these rules do change and there's not even a need for them to be written down - take eating shellfish and wearing of mixed fabrics for example. Same with working on the sabbath, getting tattoos, eating pork, etc. All of these commandments are apparently non-existent now despite Jesus explicitly telling you in Matthew 5:17-19 that "Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled." - earth is still here, yet Christians rarely uphold any of these commandments, let alone the "least" of them.
There are plenty of religions that have eternal afterlives, each with their own requirements, of course.

God Has His standards and that is that. Why should He change His way of life or His "rules" when His ways are also for our own good? He knows what is best -- He created us. He came down to show us that it can be done, He had His son become human to show us that as humans, we, too, can do as He says.
His commandments, from my point of view, and as an SDA, is what the bible says. The 10 commandments are what God wrote in stone with His own finger, the law of Moses, are the rest of the laws given to the Jews and had to do with the Levitical laws. The 10 commandments were kept in the Ark of the Covenant, in the most Holy Place in the Jewish tabernacle. The law of Moses was kept outside the Ark. At the crucifixion, when Jesus died on the cross, the law of Moses was done away with. Jesus became our High Priest and no earthly Priest is now needed. He is our intercessor with God. The 10 commandments are forever, and do not change. Not one tittle is to change. No man has the power to change any of them and that is why we keep the 7th day instead of the 1st. The laws pertaining to diet we keep for the simple reason that it is for our own good. It has been shown for decades now that SDA's and people who alter their diets as we do, quite simply live longer. There have been numerous research studies done by non-SDA's that verify this. God did not intend for us to eat animals that are scavengers, they are not healthy.

Same with Islamic, Jewish and Hindu hospitals, respites, schools and universities too. Also, there are just as many Secular institutions of health care and education in the civilised world as there is for any one particular religion.

Same with all forms of religious believers who are now atheists too - I can easily make the argument that more believers having become atheists than there are atheists who have become believers, so not sure why you point this out...

I only pointed it out because you seemed to imply that only the uneducated are believers!

Ahh, so you are perfect then? I thought only Jesus was perfect? Any case, if you can spend an eternity not sinning, how come we were made sinners here on earth? Why not give us the "heaven" standard of character while we are here on earth? Wouldn't that be far easier for God? after all, if you can go to heaven and not sin for an eternity, then either you aren't you (those dreaded robots that God didn't want) or it's possible for us to be sinless in nature after all and God could've made us in this image with this sinless free will in the first place. Why didn't he just do that?

Only Jesus is perfect. We made the choice--by way of Adam and Eve--to not obey God and therefore they sinned. They then have passed on their sinful nature to us. After the resurrection, we will be given our eternal bodies and live in a totally different world and there will be no tempter, no sinners, and have Jesus' scars to remind us of the price sin costs. I already explained---God did not create robots. He created us with a free will, and all were sinless until Lucifer harbored sin in his heart and turned some away from trusting in God. God doesn't want forced loyalty.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Yes, yes, the Eternal creator of the Universe, who has existed for an eternity and guides every fateful event and breathes life into every living thing, needs 10% of your paycheque every month... I can see why he values and rewards you.

He doesn't need it. We need to give it. It is to pay for the salaries of the pastors. In Israel it was to pay for the priests work. All the money is God's--He asks for 10% plus offerings to help with the spreading of the gospel and for help for the needy. Keeps us from being selfish and self centered!

Unless of course you don't placate your angry God to have this eternal life with him, because then you'll go to Hell and burn for eternity, right?

No--He isn't angry. When He does get angry over what we do, it does not last long, and we do nothing to placate Him. He wants us to live right, be kind and loving --we get back on the right path, He is happy. It is to our advantage to be kind, loving, generous, etc. And I do not believe in an everlasting burning hell as some Christians do, I do not believe that is what the bible says when you put all the verses about it together. It is not a matter of placating an angry God--it is a matter of loving Him and wanting to spend eternity with Him.

Who wrote the rules that says in order for you to get this "gift", someone had to die? Why couldn't you just be given this "gift" without this needless death?

The rule is---you sin you die---that is it. You die because sin can not live in His presence. Jesus said He would pay that price for us instead of us paying it.

but ultimately, are you saying there's no need to placate your angry God by following the ten commandments if you accept the unnecessary sacrifice happened, or could you still go to Hell and burn for eternity at the hands of your angry God?

LOL!--you're stuck on the angry God thing. Why shouldn't He be angry with those that rape, kill, steal, lie and so on. Somebody rape your daughter are you going to bring him home so he can do it to your wife also? You can keep all the commandments and still not end up with Him---it depends on why you keep them. If it is to get into heaven and you do not care about Him or anyone else---nope--you won't get in. He wants only those who choose to be with Him out of love and do what He asks out of love for Him and our fellow man.

Well, even the Bible states otherwise - it states he created evil, it also states he is a jealous God and he routinely orders the complete extermination of entire races, right down to babies and livestock in their name. If any modern society did that, they'd be rightfully labelled inhumane barbaric monsters.

No, He did not create evil--He created a being that was beautiful and perfect---the evil is what Lucifer harbored and became. Yes--He is a jealous God. He doesn't want us to worship other gods---for the simple reason that there are no other gods and we will be worshipping them for nothing.
We already went over why He said to exterminate those tribes. They had descended into total depravity, and sacrificing their children to their gods, indulging in inappropriate behavior with animals as way of worshipping them also, along with "religious" orgies. Plus, He had to protect His people. They wanted to kill all the Jews.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Nope, not so. I don't know, every contemporary record of the time of Jesus supposed crucifixion shows no record of it, the Jews of which Jesus was one, didn't record any miracles and resurrections, so on. So really, it's the most underwhelmingly recorded very important event in all of history. As has already been mentioned, the Bible is simply not considered a reliable record outside those invested in it by faith.

Non-believing Jews are not going to mention Jesus as the Messiah!! You can look these up:

Lucian of Samosata was a second century Greek satirist. In one of his works, he wrote of the early Christians as follows:

The Christians ... worship a man to this day – the distinguished personage who introduced their novel rites, and was crucified on that account.... [It] was impressed on them by their original lawgiver that they are all brothers, from the moment that they are converted, and deny the gods of Greece, and worship the crucified sage, and live after his laws.[27]

Reporting on Emperor Nero's decision to blame the Christians for the fire that had destroyed Rome in A.D. 64, the Roman historian Tacitus wrote:

Nero fastened the guilt ... on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of ... Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judaea, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome....[5]

letters of Pliny the Younger to Emperor Trajan. Pliny was the Roman governor of Bithynia in Asia Minor

They were in the habit of meeting on a certain fixed day before it was light, when they sang in alternate verses a hymn to Christ, as to a god, and bound themselves by a solemn oath, not to any wicked deeds, but never to commit any fraud, theft or adultery, never to falsify their word, nor deny a trust when they should be called upon to deliver it up; after which it was their custom to separate, and then reassemble to partake of food – but food of an ordinary and innocent kind.[10]

the writings of Josephus, a first century Jewish historian.

bout this time there lived Jesus, a wise man, if indeed one ought to call him a man. For he ... wrought surprising feats.... He was the Christ. When Pilate ...condemned him to be crucified, those who had . . . come to love him did not give up their affection for him. On the third day he appeared ... restored to life.... And the tribe of Christians ... has ... not disappeared.[17]

"Did Josephus really write this? Most scholars think the core of the passage originated with Josephus, but that it was later altered by a Christian editor, possibly between the third and fourth century A.D.[18] But why do they think it was altered? Josephus was not a Christian, and it is difficult to believe that anyone but a Christian would have made some of these statements.[19]

For instance, the claim that Jesus was a wise man seems authentic, but the qualifying phrase, "if indeed one ought to call him a man," is suspect. It implies that Jesus was more than human, and it is quite unlikely that Josephus would have said that! It is also difficult to believe he would have flatly asserted that Jesus was the Christ, especially when he later refers to Jesus as "the so-called" Christ. Finally, the claim that on the third day Jesus appeared to His disciples restored to life, inasmuch as it affirms Jesus' resurrection, is quite unlikely to come from a non-Christian!

But even if we disregard the questionable parts of this passage, we are still left with a good deal of corroborating information about the biblical Jesus. We read that he was a wise man who performed surprising feats. And although He was crucified under Pilate, His followers continued their discipleship and became known as Christians. When we combine these statements with Josephus' later reference to Jesus as "the so-called Christ," a rather detailed picture emerges which harmonizes quite well with the biblical record. It increasingly appears that the "biblical Jesus" and the "historical Jesus" are one and the same!"

"There are only a few clear references to Jesus in the Babylonian Talmud, a collection of Jewish rabbinical writings compiled between approximately A.D. 70-500. Given this time frame, it is naturally supposed that earlier references to Jesus are more likely to be historically reliable than later ones. In the case of the Talmud, the earliest period of compilation occurred between A.D. 70-200.[20] The most significant reference to Jesus from this period states:

On the eve of the Passover Yeshu was hanged. For forty days before the execution took place, a herald ... cried, "He is going forth to be stoned because he has practiced sorcery and enticed Israel to apostasy."[21]

Let's examine this passage. You may have noticed that it refers to someone named "Yeshu." So why do we think this is Jesus? Actually, "Yeshu" (or "Yeshua") is how Jesus' name is pronounced in Hebrew. But what does the passage mean by saying that Jesus "was hanged"? Doesn't the New Testament say he was crucified? Indeed it does. But the term "hanged" can function as a synonym for "crucified." For instance, Galatians 3:13 declares that Christ was "hanged", and Luke 23:39 applies this term to the criminals who were crucified with Jesus.[22] So the Talmud declares that Jesus was crucified on the eve of Passover. But what of the cry of the herald that Jesus was to be stoned? This may simply indicate what the Jewish leaders were planning to do.[23] If so, Roman involvement changed their plans! [24]

The passage also tells us why Jesus was crucified. It claims He practiced sorcery and enticed Israel to apostasy! Since this accusation comes from a rather hostile source, we should not be too surprised if Jesus is described somewhat differently than in the New Testament. But if we make allowances for this, what might such charges imply about Jesus?

Interestingly, both accusations have close parallels in the canonical gospels. For instance, the charge of sorcery is similar to the Pharisees' accusation that Jesus cast out demons "by Beelzebul the ruler of the demons."[25] But notice this: such a charge actually tends to confirm the New Testament claim that Jesus performed miraculous feats. Apparently Jesus' miracles were too well attested to deny. The only alternative was to ascribe them to sorcery! Likewise, the charge of enticing Israel to apostasy parallels Luke's account of the Jewish leaders who accused Jesus of misleading the nation with his teaching.[26] Such a charge tends to corroborate the New Testament record of Jesus' powerful teaching ministry. Thus, if read carefully, this passage from the Talmud confirms much of our knowledge about Jesus from the New Testament."

There is far less prove that Plato or Socrates existed.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Ahh, I see now, thanks for that. - Next question, is there any reference to these ten plagues occurring anywhere in Egypt in any record outside the bible?

Not that I know of---The Egyptians are notorious for not writing down things that did not go their way--and even writing thigs down differently than how they actually happened. I can't remember which war it was, but they wrote down they won it when they had not.

Okay, so the writers of the Bible were getting it wrong when they wrote that the Pharaoh was about to let them flee? It specifically states in Exodus 10:1 that God stepped in to harden the Pharaoh's heart, does this need to be interpreted and not plainly read? If that's the case, shouldn't someone correct that mistake in the bible so it reads correct?

Yes--it says that. However, you have to take into account that everything that happens the Jews felt was from God, including this hardening of the heart. God doesn't do that. It was Pharaohs' own stubbornness. Why should it be changed? It reads as it says. Translating from the original l can be tricky.

1 and~he~will~SAY(Verb) (וַיֹּאמֶר / wai'yo'mer) YHWH (יְהוָה / YHWH) TO (אֶל / el) Mosheh (מֹשֶׁה / mo'sheh) !(ms)~COME(Verb) (בֹּא / bo) TO (אֶל / el) Paroh (פַּרְעֹה / par'oh) GIVEN.THAT (כִּי / ki) I (אֲנִי / a'ni) I~did~make~BE.HEAVY(Verb) (הִכְבַּדְתִּי / hikh'bad'ti) AT (אֶת / et) HEART~him (לִבּוֹ / li'bo) and~AT (וְאֶת / wê'et) HEART (לֵב / leyv) SERVANT~s~him (עֲבָדָיו / a'va'daw) to~THAT (לְמַעַן / lê'ma'an) >~SET.DOWN(Verb)~me (שִׁתִי / shi'ti) SIGN~s~me (אֹתֹתַי / o'to'tai) THESE (אֵלֶּה / ey'leh) in~INSIDE~him (בְּקִרְבּוֹ / bê'qir'bo)

and YHWH said to Mosheh, come to Paroh given that I made his heart heavy, and the heart of his servants, so that I can set down these, my signs, inside him,

2 and~to~THAT (וּלְמַעַן / ul'ma'an) you(ms)~did~much~COUNT(Verb) (תְּסַפֵּר / tê'sa'peyr) in~EAR~s2 (בְּאָזְנֵי / bê'az'ney) SON~you(ms) (בִנְךָ / vin'kha) and~SON (וּבֶן / u'ven) SON~you(ms) (בִּנְךָ / bin'kha) AT (אֵת / eyt) WHICH (אֲשֶׁר / a'sher) I~did~self~WORK.OVER(Verb) (הִתְעַלַּלְתִּי / hit'a'lal'ti) in~Mits'rayim (בְּמִצְרַיִם / bê'mits'ra'yim) and~AT (וְאֶת / wê'et) SIGN~s~me (אֹתֹתַי / o'to'tai) WHICH (אֲשֶׁר / a'sher) I~did~PLACE(Verb) (שַׂמְתִּי / sam'ti) in~~them(m) (בָם / vam) and~you(mp)~did~KNOW(Verb) (וִידַעְתֶּם / wi'da'tem) GIVEN.THAT (כִּי / ki) I (אֲנִי / a'ni) YHWH (יְהוָה / YHWH)

and so that you will recount in the ears of your son and the son of your son, that I abused Mits'rayim with my signs which I placed in them, then you will know that I am YHWH,
The Torah: Exodus 10

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I think I am getting out of order here--I am tired, may have to quite for now.

Oh? so does that make me evil? is that what you're labelling me as? Is everyone who doesn't believe in unverifiable claims of your particular religion also harbouring "sin", or is this a special place you're going just for me?

If you can point out anyone I'm transgressing against, I'll make amends. Is that "sin"? If your God exists and I transgress against him, then I'll gleefully make amends to him too.

We are all evil--we have sinful natures---everyone of us is born into evil. Children and the mentally retarded are excused is all! If you break one commandment, you are guilty of breaking them all---in other words--sin is sin. Even if you just lie and do not murder--you have broken the 10 commandments.
Jesus amplified the 10 commandments when He said that if you look at a woman with lust in your heart--you have committed adultery.

Got to go---too tired.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
BY THE KILLING OF INNOCENT NEWBORNS??? Let's just assume for a moment that your version of Christianity is false, and I'm a God of some as yet unnamed religion. What would you think if I was to murder the babies of said Christians to punish them for believing in your particular religion? Do I have the same status and laudable goals as your God??
No, in such a case, I would recognize that you don't have the same status or goals as 'my God,' and I might tend to think that you've deluded yourself through perceiving that you're some kind of ... Pharoah type [nutcase].

[I have to answer your question in a way that insinuates what I consider to be the implausible status of your question; mainly I have to answer this way because I do so hate hypothetical scenarios, and I think their overly fictional structures don't comport really with much in the way of any kind of analogous set of considerations that would just smack us in the face with their supposed poignancy and inferential 'truth.']

But, if the God worshiped by my neighbor did suddenly and LITERALLY manifest itself/himself/herself (or whatever), contended with the local authorities, and then ~mysteriously~ and overnight took the lives of ONLY the firstborn among my own people, then I'd be think'n...........D@!*3#%, bro!!! We'd better make an effort to see what IT wants from us ... and maybe take it seriously! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: mmksparbud
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

holo

former Christian
Dec 24, 2003
✟77,794.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
But, if the God worshiped by my neighbor did suddenly and LITERALLY manifest itself/himself/herself (or whatever), contended with the local authorities, and then ~mysteriously~ and overnight took the lives of ONLY the firstborn among my own people, then I'd be think'n...........D@!*3#%, bro!!! We'd better make an effort to see what IT wants from us ... and maybe take it seriously! :rolleyes:
That seems like the reasonable thing to do, but according to the bible, it's not what happens. People just don't seem to learn, not even when God kills their firstborn. So I would assume a super smart God would choose a different approach.

• Agree
Reactions: Bugeyedcreepy
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That seems like the reasonable thing to do, but according to the bible, it's not what happens. People just don't seem to learn, not even when God kills their firstborn. So I would assume a super smart God would choose a different approach.

Yes, when spiritual recalcitrance rears its ugly head (like Pharoah's did), there is indeed a different approach God can take and has taken at various times in cyclic fashion. I wonder if He might be doing that again any time soon. I hope not. I sincerely hope not, for all of our sakes. But, that is what a super-smart God can do.

:cool:

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: mmksparbud
Upvote 0

Bugeyedcreepy

Jun 7, 2016
Canberra, Australia
✟88,248.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Our conversation has been deemed as off topic.....
We have our own thread now....
Yes, I know other religious believers have "experiences." As I said. I have chosen to believe in the bible as the word of God and I judge "experiences" by what the bible says. My communications with God are through the bible, through what others say, and do but mostly through what I have experienced as thoughts coming from the Holy Spirit. These are not audible conversations, they are thoughts that come into my mind in relation to what I have been reading, in answer to prayers, in answer to questions I have asked.
As I believe that there is a God, the God of the bible, I also then believe in the Satan of the bible and what he is able or not able to do. What thoughts I receive I compare to what the bible says. If they are in agreement, I accept them, if not, I reject those thoughts as not of God--they may be springing up from my own selfishness and stubbornness or are from the "other side."
Okay, so we can still agree then, that you have no more evidence than any other religious claim from any other religion?
God Has His standards and that is that. Why should He change His way of life or His "rules" when His ways are also for our own good?
Well, he seems to change his mind all the time - do you still obey all the levitical laws, or has God changed his mind about wearing mixed fabric and eating shellfish?
He knows what is best -- He created us. He came down to show us that it can be done, He had His son become human to show us that as humans, we, too, can do as He says.
But that's false according to your own religion, we still can't - we require unsubstantiated belief in this blood sacrifice of an innocent to even be able to get into heaven, no matter how well I can live in this life... or can I get into heaven by just living my life selflessly, not having to even believe in any Gods, let alone one that had to become human and die to circumvent his own laws for his followers?
His commandments, from my point of view, and as an SDA, is what the bible says. The 10 commandments are what God wrote in stone with His own finger, the law of Moses, are the rest of the laws given to the Jews and had to do with the Levitical laws. The 10 commandments were kept in the Ark of the Covenant, in the most Holy Place in the Jewish tabernacle. The law of Moses was kept outside the Ark. At the crucifixion, when Jesus died on the cross, the law of Moses was done away with. Jesus became our High Priest and no earthly Priest is now needed. He is our intercessor with God. The 10 commandments are forever, and do not change. Not one tittle is to change. No man has the power to change any of them and that is why we keep the 7th day instead of the 1st. The laws pertaining to diet we keep for the simple reason that it is for our own good. It has been shown for decades now that SDA's and people who alter their diets as we do, quite simply live longer. There have been numerous research studies done by non-SDA's that verify this. God did not intend for us to eat animals that are scavengers, they are not healthy.
Where is it written that these laws aside the Ten Commandments are only for the Jews? In fact, this being the case, the Ten Commandments are commanded to Israel as well - so they're all for Israel and by your logic, the Ten Commandments mustn't apply either. Otherwise, Jesus did explicitly state that all of the laws were to be obeyed until all in heaven and earth have come to pass (Matthew 5:17-19). Earth hasn't passed so either all of these laws apply, or none do. Which is it? If only the Ten Commandments apply, then why all the resistance against same-sex marriage and equality? Also, which ten commandments do you follow, either of the two similar commandments quoted at Exodus 20:2-17 and Deuteronomy 5:6-21, or the other very different one actually called the Ten Commandments at Exodus 34:12-26?
I only pointed it out because you seemed to imply that only the uneducated are believers!
Nope, not what I said. What I said is, that among the people who study the universe and life sciences associated with cosmology, biology, physics, etc., (i.e. they have a much better understanding of how the universe works), they are far less likely to be religious and say such things that you've said here repeatedly, such as "I look at God's Creation and the Trees, Elephants, horses, etc and it all speaks to God's work" - instead, they can and do give natural and well understood reasons why the universe and life in it is the way it is. In fact, they have a much clearer picture of how wonderous, complex and spectacular the universe is in light of this understanding.
Only Jesus is perfect. We made the choice--by way of Adam and Eve--to not obey God and therefore they sinned. They then have passed on their sinful nature to us. After the resurrection, we will be given our eternal bodies and live in a totally different world and there will be no tempter, no sinners, and have Jesus' scars to remind us of the price sin costs. I already explained---God did not create robots. He created us with a free will, and all were sinless until Lucifer harbored sin in his heart and turned some away from trusting in God. God doesn't want forced loyalty.
So Adam and Eve were never two actual people from which we are all descended from, and what my ancestors did or didn't do is not something I can be blamed for - but this aside, you just agreed that we can be us AND live a sinless existence for an eternity - why didn't God create us (or Adam and Eve if you really insist they were real people) with this heaven version of free will to begin with? Then there would've been no sin, no getting kicked out of the Garden, etc.
He doesn't need it. We need to give it. It is to pay for the salaries of the pastors. In Israel it was to pay for the priests work. All the money is God's--He asks for 10% plus offerings to help with the spreading of the gospel and for help for the needy. Keeps us from being selfish and self centered!
You just stated earlier that "Jesus became our High Priest and no earthly Priest is now needed" - if God were real, his presence would mean we all would be crystal clear on his existence and we would of course all be of one religion world-wide. I contend that were such a supernatural being real, we wouldn't even be having this conversation let alone fielding apologetics over why the almighty creator of the universe needs 10% of our pay to cover earthly men peddling his wares. This doesn't make sense.
No--He isn't angry. When He does get angry over what we do, it does not last long, and we do nothing to placate Him.
So he DOES get angry... even if not for long? why are we all laboured with the sins of Adam and Eve if he doesn't stay angry for long? Then in Exodus 20:5 and Numbers 14:18, why are 3rd and 4th generations still being punished by your "Not-Angry-For-Very-Long" God?
It is to our advantage to be kind, loving, generous, etc.
I agree wholeheartedly.
And I do not believe in an everlasting burning hell as some Christians do, I do not believe that is what the bible says when you put all the verses about it together. It is not a matter of placating an angry God--it is a matter of loving Him and wanting to spend eternity with Him.
What about those of us who just aren't convinced that any Gods exist, let alone your God?
The rule is---you sin you die---that is it. You die because sin can not live in His presence. Jesus said He would pay that price for us instead of us paying it.
Great! then no belief in this has to be fabricated, we can just live our lives well and morally and we're good, right? I couldn't accept that an innocent person was murdered on my behalf for sins I didn't commit anyway... that's just barbaric and needless.
LOL!--you're stuck on the angry God thing.
I only use it because you use it to describe other Gods - your God is no different as even his own scripture demonstrates.
Why shouldn't He be angry with those that rape, kill, steal, lie and so on. Somebody rape your daughter are you going to bring him home so he can do it to your wife also?
Well,I guess he should be, just as anyone should be - I feel the same way about the innocent first borns of Egypt that were murdered, the Caananite infants that were also murdered, the Midianite virgin girls that were being diveed up while the blood of their murdered brothers and parents were still warm, etc. Your God seemed pretty pleased about all that though.
You can keep all the commandments and still not end up with Him---it depends on why you keep them. If it is to get into heaven and you do not care about Him or anyone else---nope--you won't get in. He wants only those who choose to be with Him out of love and do what He asks out of love for Him and our fellow man.
What if we do good our entire lives and simply have no reason to believe any Gods exist?
No, He did not create evil--He created a being that was beautiful and perfect---the evil is what Lucifer harbored and became.
Isaiah 45:7 says God Did create evil. If Lucifer was created Perfect and became evil (no matter the reason), then it's because God wanted him to be, having created him perfect for the role God had him fulfill to begin with. Otherwise, he couldn't have been perfect, I don't see how you can get around that.
Yes--He is a jealous God. He doesn't want us to worship other gods---for the simple reason that there are no other gods and we will be worshipping them for nothing.
Well, so you say, but we've already repeatedly demonstrated that you have no more reason to worship your God than any other believer has for worshipping theirs. An outsider to all of your religions can't tell the difference.
We already went over why He said to exterminate those tribes. They had descended into total depravity, and sacrificing their children to their gods, indulging in inappropriate behavior with animals as way of worshipping them also, along with "religious" orgies. Plus, He had to protect His people. They wanted to kill all the Jews.
I find it very hard to believe that the only way an omnipotent being could solve this issue is by ordering his favourite tribe to murder everyone, right down to the victim children and infants that had no knowledge of what was even going on - or perhaps your God was just carrying out his very short anger by wiping out the third and fourth generations for the crimes of their ancestors? Again, I point you to modern warfare where we don't do such barbaric things anymore - we have international tribunals that will try you for warcrimes for even attempting to pull off such a vulgar act of inhumanity against civilians, let alone infants.

Upvote 0

Bugeyedcreepy

Jun 7, 2016
Canberra, Australia
✟88,248.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Non-believing Jews are not going to mention Jesus as the Messiah!! You can look these up:

<Huge cut and paste removed : see Ancient Evidence for Jesus from Non-Christian Sources for the full cut and paste text...>​
So, this cut & paste from Ancient Evidence for Jesus from Non-Christian Sources doesn't give any contemporary evidence for the existence of Jesus - this is evidence of early Christianity - not a thing that is in contention given the proliferation of Christianity today. You'll also note that pretty much all of the references in this article are from non-christians complaining about this annoying fringe religion of christianity and their adherents calling themselves "christians".
There is far less prove that Plato or Socrates existed.
Agreed. However neither of those gentlemen are demanding my unquestioning belief, nor are they threatening me with eternal damnation, they aren't trying to legislate against same-sex marriage, nor are they trying to legislate laws that force everyone to think philosophically and question Gods either.
Not that I know of---The Egyptians are notorious for not writing down things that did not go their way--and even writing thigs down differently than how they actually happened. I can't remember which war it was, but they wrote down they won it when they had not.
I know the Hebrews did that - do you have a reference for the egyptians falsifying history? I'd be interested to read up on it.
Yes--it says that. However, you have to take into account that everything that happens the Jews felt was from God, including this hardening of the heart. God doesn't do that. It was Pharaohs' own stubbornness. Why should it be changed? It reads as it says. Translating from the original l can be tricky.

1 and~he~will~SAY(Verb) (וַיֹּאמֶר / wai'yo'mer) YHWH (יְהוָה / YHWH) TO (אֶל / el) Mosheh (מֹשֶׁה / mo'sheh) !(ms)~COME(Verb) (בֹּא / bo) TO (אֶל / el) Paroh (פַּרְעֹה / par'oh) GIVEN.THAT (כִּי / ki) I (אֲנִי / a'ni) I~did~make~BE.HEAVY(Verb) (הִכְבַּדְתִּי / hikh'bad'ti) AT (אֶת / et) HEART~him (לִבּוֹ / li'bo) and~AT (וְאֶת / wê'et) HEART (לֵב / leyv) SERVANT~s~him (עֲבָדָיו / a'va'daw) to~THAT (לְמַעַן / lê'ma'an) >~SET.DOWN(Verb)~me (שִׁתִי / shi'ti) SIGN~s~me (אֹתֹתַי / o'to'tai) THESE (אֵלֶּה / ey'leh) in~INSIDE~him (בְּקִרְבּוֹ / bê'qir'bo)

and YHWH said to Mosheh, come to Paroh given that I made his heart heavy, and the heart of his servants, so that I can set down these, my signs, inside him,

2 and~to~THAT (וּלְמַעַן / ul'ma'an) you(ms)~did~much~COUNT(Verb) (תְּסַפֵּר / tê'sa'peyr) in~EAR~s2 (בְּאָזְנֵי / bê'az'ney) SON~you(ms) (בִנְךָ / vin'kha) and~SON (וּבֶן / u'ven) SON~you(ms) (בִּנְךָ / bin'kha) AT (אֵת / eyt) WHICH (אֲשֶׁר / a'sher) I~did~self~WORK.OVER(Verb) (הִתְעַלַּלְתִּי / hit'a'lal'ti) in~Mits'rayim (בְּמִצְרַיִם / bê'mits'ra'yim) and~AT (וְאֶת / wê'et) SIGN~s~me (אֹתֹתַי / o'to'tai) WHICH (אֲשֶׁר / a'sher) I~did~PLACE(Verb) (שַׂמְתִּי / sam'ti) in~~them(m) (בָם / vam) and~you(mp)~did~KNOW(Verb) (וִידַעְתֶּם / wi'da'tem) GIVEN.THAT (כִּי / ki) I (אֲנִי / a'ni) YHWH (יְהוָה / YHWH)

and so that you will recount in the ears of your son and the son of your son, that I abused Mits'rayim with my signs which I placed in them, then you will know that I am YHWH,
The Torah: Exodus 10
Odd that it doesn't say that anywhere else in the old testament, such as all the other Kings where they invaded or attacked or were otherwise in transgression of God or the Hebrews/Israelites, they all seem to be under their own volition and not doing so because of YHWH... why is that?

This brings me to my next point - does that mean all those references to God for example, bringing on the ten plagues, were instead just natural events that the early Jews were just attributing to their God when in fact they were entirely natural events after all?
We are all evil--we have sinful natures---everyone of us is born into evil. Children and the mentally retarded are excused is all! If you break one commandment, you are guilty of breaking them all---in other words--sin is sin. Even if you just lie and do not murder--you have broken the 10 commandments.
Jesus amplified the 10 commandments when He said that if you look at a woman with lust in your heart--you have committed adultery.
How are we born into evil, is it because your "Not-Angry-For-Very-Long" God is still holding a grudge for something that ancestors who likely didn't even exist did something one time in an unverifiable story?

Upvote 0

Bugeyedcreepy

Jun 7, 2016
Canberra, Australia
✟88,248.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
No, in such a case, I would recognize that you don't have the same status or goals as 'my God,' and I might tend to think that you've deluded yourself through perceiving that you're some kind of ... Pharoah type [nutcase].
Exactly how every other believer (and us non-believers too) see your religion. Welcome to reality.
[I have to answer your question in a way that insinuates what I consider to be the implausible status of your question; mainly I have to answer this way because I do so hate hypothetical scenarios, and I think their overly fictional structures don't comport really with much in the way of any kind of analogous set of considerations that would just smack us in the face with their supposed poignancy and inferential 'truth.']
I thought it did quite well, tbh - even you recognised and failed the outsider test of faith. (read: Special Pleading!)
Exactly. Now, if only there was evidence such a thing occurred, perhaps I'd take it seriously too, right?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bugeyedcreepy

Jun 7, 2016
Canberra, Australia
✟88,248.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yes, when spiritual recalcitrance rears its ugly head (like Pharoah's did), there is indeed a different approach God can take and has taken at various times in cyclic fashion. I wonder if He might be doing that again any time soon. I hope not. I sincerely hope not, for all of our sakes. But, that is what a super-smart God can do.

:cool:
Not sure he did anything to start with. Do you believe any of the stories for any of the other religions you don't believe in?

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Exactly how every other believer (and us non-believers too) see your religion. Welcome to reality.

I thought it did quite well, tbh - even you recognised and failed the outsider test of faith. (read: Special Pleading!)
You're giving more credence to John Loftus than you should. :rolleyes: .... 'cuz nothing fails quite as much as his Outsider Test for Faith (which I've passed by the way....[oh, the irony of it!])

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: Bugeyedcreepy
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not sure he did anything to start with. Do you believe any of the stories for any of the other religions you don't believe in?

Do you mean to refer to all of those ahistorically presented stories within the other, non-biblical religions? No, I really don't "believe" in the myths therein, if by "believe" you mean that I think they're factually true, but I'm still fascinated by them to some degree. With that said, I also think that a little reading from the Greek/Roman/Norse myths or the Mahabharata, a perusal of the Koran, and/or some contemplation that comes by way of the Tao Te Ching, the Analects, or the Dhammapada couldn't hurt anyone. :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

...actually, Pharoah DID do something to START with...several times in fact. It's just that when push came to shove, God finished it.

....ah, yes! Reading things in full context is so refreshing! :hrelax:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bugeyedcreepy

Jun 7, 2016
Canberra, Australia
✟88,248.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You're giving more credence to John Loftus than you should. :rolleyes: .... 'cuz nothing fails quite as much as his Outsider Test for Faith (which I've passed by the way....[oh, the irony of it!])
Of course, I'd be quite interested to see how you applied the outsider's test of faith, because I can't see how any religion is able to stick out over any other when rigorously applied...
Do you mean to refer to all of those ahistorically presented stories within the other, non-biblical religions? No, I really don't "believe" in the myths therein, if by "believe" you mean that I think they're factually true, but I'm still fascinated by them to some degree.
Yep, particulrly interested to hear how you applied that outsider's test of faith to your own...
With that said, I also think that a little reading from the Greek/Roman/Norse myths or the Mahabharata, a perusal of the Koran, and/or some contemplation that comes by way of the Tao Te Ching, the Analects, or the Dhammapada couldn't hurt anyone. :cool:
Agreed. It also helps to read up on the histories of each of these religions, when they started, where they come from, etc. There's a huge amount of support for the Egyptian religion being the foundation for pretty much every religion from the polytheism of the Roman, Greek pantheons, which gave rise to the Norse and Hindu religions, to even the monotheistic religions starting with Zoroastrians which preceded the Abrahamic religions by about the same time as Hinduism does - which is somewhere between 600 and 1500 years. I understand that this history is as contentious as evolution is to the fundamentalists, and this is why ancient egyptian history is barely touched on in history classes in american schools. The rest of us have no problem with science and history.
...actually, Pharaoh DID do something to START with...several times in fact. It's just that when push came to shove, God finished it.
Which Pharaoh? There's several thousand years worth of Pharaohs, and funny how neither recorded history, nor the Bible seem to identify the Pharaoh in question...
....ah, yes! Reading things in full context is so refreshing! :hrelax:
Indeed.

Upvote 0