• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

The urge to laugh about blasphemous thoughts

Jan 7, 2016
California
✟15,164.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi, this has bothered me quite a bit lately. I'm sure most of you are familiar with intrusive, blasphemous thoughts. It's a problem I thankfully was able to get past several years ago. However, these past few weeks a new variation of it has bothered me: the urge to laugh with/about terrible thoughts.

So whenever a blasphemous 'joke' or insult pops into my head, I almost always feel an urge to laugh or smile about it. As if I'm agreeing these terrible thoughts are actually funny, when I really just despise them. Some of the times, it feels like I actually do smile at them for a moment.

When that happens, or I'm afraid it might've happened, I can spend up to 30 minutes just apologizing to God and begging for forgiveness, because I'm constantly worried my apology isn't sincere enough. Even as I'm typing this, I'm worried about smiling at this topic, because it relates to those blasphemous thoughts.

I know I have OCD, I know I hate these thoughts, I know I don't want to laugh, I know as soon as I do I'll feel horrible, but it feels like that urge is always there. And I haven't seen much about OCD and laughing online, so I'm worried I might just be an awful person and the laughing thing isn't from OCD.

I really need some help rationalizing this all! Thanks.

Jesus Died for me

Oct 9, 2017
Potchefstroom
✟7,702.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey, I've recently been experiencing this problem, getting the urge to laugh at things I'm not supposed to be laughing at. I'm part of some religious ocd groups on Facebook, I've noticed that I would get an urge to laugh when reading their posts, at times I have involuntarily laughed, and it bothers me because it makes me feel evil. And I have gon through what they are going through, I don't get the sudden urge to laugh. I don't want this to happen. I googled about Ocd and uncontrollable laughter and it does happen, if it's not ocd, could be some form of mental disorder.

Please read this article, I was just recently reading it. Very helpful.
https://askthepsych.com/atp/2008/03/17/inappropriate-laughing/

Upvote 0