The universe may be a billion years younger than we thought.

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/amp/ncna1005541

Given the stakes, everyone involved is checking and rechecking their results for possible sources of error. Increasingly, though, it looks like the problem lies not with the observations but with the theories of cosmology that underpin them. If those theories are wrong or incomplete, the interpretation of the Planck readings will be flawed, too.

"There's currently no consistent story that works for all our cosmological data," says Princeton University astrophysicist Jo Dunkley, who has extensively analyzed the Planck results. "That means there is fascinating work to be done, to see if there is something out there that can explain all of it."

It turns out that there's a "relatively easy" way to reconcile the two Hubble constant figures, but unfortunately the "fix" for the Hubble constant problem also highlights the redundant nature of the LCDM "dark energy" claim.

https://phys.org/news/2020-03-mystery-expansion-universe.html

possible solution to the Hubble constant discrepancy: Cosmology where the local volume expansion is driven by the domain average density

Consistency of the local Hubble constant with the cosmic microwave background - ScienceDirect

In particular, about 10% difference between the local and global Hubble parameters may be safely explained within the framework of linear perturbation theory, with the help of the spatial averaging procedure defined over a finite spatial domain in the t=constant hypersurface . Finally, we would like to mention an interesting possibility of solving the apparent acceleration of cosmic expansion. One of the present authors has reanalyzed the observed magnitude—redshift (⁠mz⁠) relation of type Ia supernovae (SNe Ia) and has examined the possibility that the apparent acceleration of the cosmic expansion is not caused by dark energy but is instead a consequence of the large-scale inhomogeneities in the universe [5]. He has concluded that, assuming the inhomogeneous Hubble parameter, a larger value of H0 in the nearby, low-redshift region than that in the distant, high-redshift region may be sufficient to explain the observed mz relation for SNe Ia, without introducing dark energy. (Reference listed below).

https://academic.oup.com/ptp/article/117/6/1067/1917367

Suggesting density variation in spacetime is also consistent with recent discoveries of anisotrophy in the universe:

Universe is Anisotropic on Large Scales, New Study Suggests | Astronomy | Sci-News.com

Essentially both the current tension in the Hubble constant, and enigma of "dark energy" could both be nothing more than mathematical "artifacts" which are related to the density differences within the universe at various scales. It's a potential solution that solves two major problems in astronomy today, and it *seriously* threatens the dark energy claims of the LCDM model and the LCDM itself.

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
The observable universe and the actual universe are two completely different things in my book. Giving or taking a billion years here or there is just pedantic, I think.

It's more like giving or taking 68 percent of a current cosmology model, in this case specifically the 'dark energy' component of the LCDM model.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I can't see that it actually makes much practical difference how old the universe is. If it is a billion years younger than we thought will I get a better income or will corona virus disappear?

• Winner
Reactions: ReesePiece23
Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,577.00
Faith
Christian
Of COURSE!!!

Just kiddin. I understand about 40% of the words in this threas

That's the whole point of academic glib more often than not. It's designed purposely to confuse the layman, so that you have no choice but to listen to the expert pitching the ideas.

That's not what's happening here, but it DOES happen - especially in situations where clients are handing over large sums of money for 'help'.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,404.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
That's the whole point of academic glib more often than not. It's designed purposely to confuse the layman, so that you have no choice but to listen to the expert pitching the ideas.

That's not what's happening here, but it DOES happen - especially in situations where clients are handing over large sums of money for 'help'.
It's not designed to "purposely confuse the laymen". So many areas create their own vernacular out of necessity because of the tools they make and the objects and actions in their craft require new terms outside of the typical human experience. Get a PhD in immunology holder under a car and talk to him like a red seal mechanic and he'll be just as lost as vice versa.

It's the nature of the depth of human knowledge. Fewer and fewer people to more and more specific things. It can make people feel alienated. But it also afford the opportunity to develop trust. Trust in the idea that the knowledge they have gathered and sent through rigorous process is correct without us having intimate knowledge of it ourselves.

We all this in so many other areas of our lives. EVERY time we plug something in; go over a bridge, drive a car. Some of these things, by nature, are predictable; but some not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Yeah, you're right. And TRUST is the major component - I've just seen that trust abused firsthand.

When I was a herdsman, there was a well known ruminant nutritionist who would go farm to farm waffling on about n3's, n6's, acidosis and all kinds of technical data, knowing full well that the farmers would acquiescently hand money over regardless of what he said (literally just because of the letters after his name) - not knowing that what he was saying one visit, completely contradicted what he said on the next visit.

The guy was a rip off, and we found him out in the end. But I knew what he was doing because I used to read scientific literature when I was in college.

Naturally, I'm more sceptical than most.
What's a ruminant?

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
An animal that regurgitates its cud from the rumen.

A cow, basically.

Well, no, there's a bunch of non cow ruminants out there. Ruminant is a very precise term with no ambiguity that encompasses a specific set of things that need encompassing. We don't use terminology to confuse people, because youd have to believe every scientists is a baby eating sub human demon that delights in the suffering of mankind for that. We aren't, turns out we are human beings. We use terminology like "ruminant" to communicate effectively and avoid ambiguity.

Anyone in any field can be dishonest and ripo you off, but yeah, lets blame all scientists. We're only in it for the money, that's why you'd have no problem naming a half dozen well known wealthy scientists.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums