Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Clearly that unit is inappropriate. If someone devises a measurement, e.g. specified complexity, the burden is on them to explain how it is done, in what units it is measured, and what those units mean. Without meaningful units it is not a measure of anything.

It has been explained long time ago. Even I, who don't care about ID much, know the explanation. Yet the question in the OP showed up a few days ago. What does that say?

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,429.00
Faith
Atheist
It has been explained long time ago. Even I, who don't care about ID much, know the explanation. Yet the question in the OP showed up a few days ago. What does that say?
It says it's odd that you, or someone else who saw this explanation, didn't help answer the OP's question.

If you know the answer, why not help, even if it's just a link to the explanation?

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It says it's odd that you, or someone else who saw this explanation, didn't help answer the OP's question.

If you know the answer, why not help, even if it's just a link to the explanation?

I explained it in #44 and #46. I learned that in #12.
So, if the specific complexity is a mouse trap, then the unit is: pieces (of mouse).

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,429.00
Faith
Atheist
I explained it in #44 and #46. I learned that in #12.
So, if the specific complexity is a mouse trap, then the unit is: pieces (of mouse).
If those numbers refer to posts in this thread, none of them are, or even approach, an answer to the OP's question.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Why do you want to know the unit if you do not want to do measurement?

Because cdesign proponentsists keep talking about "specified complexity" as if they can objectively quantify it.

@Larnievc 's question is basically a challenge to ID supporters to demonstrate that.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Because cdesign proponentsists keep talking about "specified complexity" as if they can objectively quantify it.

@Larnievc 's question is basically a challenge to ID supporters to demonstrate that.

I don't see anybody is trying to do that.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,759.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Nobody else asked the question in the OP but you. If no answer could be fit into the question, then what is the meaning of that illogical question at the beginning?
It means that specified complexity cannot be quantified.

If it cannot be quantified then there is no possible way of defining irreducibly complexity. Consequently we have no reliable method based on complexity to conclude design.

I put that as simply as I could.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It means that specified complexity cannot be quantified.

That is because the question is not completed. It is your fault.
If the function of specified complexity was described, then it CAN be quantified.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,759.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
That is because the question is not completed. It is your fault.
If the function of specified complexity was described, then it CAN be quantified.
If you can’t answer the question posed do feel free to go away.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What unit would that be and what is the method for doing that?
Use an example, to make it extra clear.

I already posted a link that answers this, but no one seems to have bothered to look at the details. I suppose I'm expected to do all the work? And I'm not even a proponent of I.D., but rather of BioLogos.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums