The units of Specified Complexity

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist
I don't know what the problem is, irreducible complexity is a minimum number of parts. Specified complexity is more like defining the various parts if I'm getting the right idea here. I don't know what your getting at her Frumious, am I missing something?
I didn't understand your comments.

Irreducible complexity isn't about a minimum number of parts, it's about the presence of a number of interacting parts that supply some function, where the function ceases with the removal of any part. The idea is that step-wise evolution can't result in irreducible complexity because there's no function until the last step is completed. This has the generic flaw that step-wise assembly can involve more components than appear in the final structure, e.g. refinement by removal of components. Specific instances may also be shown to be incorrectly assessed, e.g. the mousetrap.

Specified complexity is a property that identifies patterns that have concise (i.e. 'specified') descriptions that are unlikely to arise by chance (i.e. they're 'complex'). The idea is that natural processes are only likely to produce concise patterns that are simple, or complex patterns that are lengthy or messy. This has the flaw that it assumes natural processes are just random.

I couldn't see how your comments were relevant to this.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist
I didn’t know about that.

That’s really interesting. So the cdesign proponentists have a computer prgram that can produce living beings as out puts and thus the length of code to define that is the complexity?

Blimey. I never knew complexity was measured in length.
Kolmogorov complexity is a measure of how concisely a pattern can be described - i.e. the shortest algorithm that will generate that pattern. It's a questionable measure to use for specified complexity because descriptive complexity is at a maximum for random information (i.e. no algorithm shorter than the information itself can describe it). So the semantics of 'information' in Kolmogorov complexity seem at odds with Dembski's use.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I didn't understand your comments.

Irreducible complexity isn't about a minimum number of parts, it's about the presence of a number of interacting parts that supply some function, where the function ceases with the removal of any part. The idea is that step-wise evolution can't result in irreducible complexity because there's no function until the last step is completed. This has the generic flaw that step-wise assembly can involve more components than appear in the final structure, e.g. refinement by removal of components. Specific instances may also be shown to be incorrectly assessed, e.g. the mousetrap.

Specified complexity is a property that identifies patterns that have concise (i.e. 'specified') descriptions that are unlikely to arise by chance (i.e. they're 'complex'). The idea is that natural processes are only likely to produce concise patterns that are simple, or complex patterns that are lengthy or messy. This has the flaw that it assumes natural processes are just random.

I couldn't see how your comments were relevant to this.
Well we're even, I have no idea what your asking either.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Yes, you're right! I'm not Gandalf!
Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,125,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So any idea of what specified complexity is measured in?

Yes. Dembskian Theo-Patterns (of sorts) found through the supposed measuring of "replicational resources" (as per the Wikipedia link on Specified Complexity I offered to you earlier). ;) For the most part, he made up the algorithm he employs in his theory. Of course, each of us will have to personally consider if we think he was qualified to do so.

Ignorance. :p

Or theory (even if a very questionable one).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,125,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It does not even reach the level of hypothesis, let alone theory.

Don't go all ultra-literal on me, Belk. :doh: You know what I mean. Or, maybe you don't. Did you happen to look at the link I offered Larnievc? No?

Besides, I'm not a proponent of I.D.; I'm just attempting to help answer the OP's question.

Upvote 0

Belk

Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟895,271.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Don't go all ultra-literal on me, Belk. :doh:

Like responding to a joke with a serious response? ;)

You know what I mean. Or, maybe you don't. Did you happen to look at the link I offered Larnievc? No?

No. I missed it.

Besides, I'm not a proponent of I.D.; I'm just attempting to help answer the OP's question.

I'm just trying to make fun of ID. I already know there is nothing used to measure SC.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,125,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Like responding to a joke with a serious response? ;)

No. I missed it.

I'm just trying to make fun of ID. I already know there is nothing used to measure SC.

Well then. Don't let me ruin your fun. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Blimey. I never knew complexity was measured in length.

Standard complexity is measured in bits, like I said.

Putting it another way, the complexity of a document is the number of bits or bytes or megabytes in the most efficient possible compression.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟312,524.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I already know there is nothing used to measure SC.
Yeah. *skowly scuffs shoe on the floor in a circular motion to indicate embarrassment and slight coquettishness* Me too.

• Haha
Reactions: Belk
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟312,524.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Standard complexity is measured in bits, like I said.

Putting it another way, the complexity of a document is the number of bits or bytes or megabytes in the most efficient possible compression.
No it isn’t. Information cam be measured in bits.

Please show how complexity is measured in bits.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I know that.

I’m asking what units of measurements is specified complexity measured in.

Is something irreducibly complex when it has how many units of specified complexity?

What is the unit to measure your daily life (complex enough)?
Improper (meaningless) question.

Upvote 0

Belk

Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟895,271.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I don't even know what that sentence means.

In science theory is the highest an idea gets. Below the level of theory is a hypothesis which is an idea that is then put through a falsification test. ID does not even reach that level since it has several concepts which can not be falsified.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟312,524.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
What is the unit to measure your daily life
Day life is measured in days.

Obviously.

But I’m asking about the units of measurement of specified complexity: not time.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟312,524.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics