Mombasa
✟27,043.00
Country
Kenya
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OP, have you lived or worked abroad? Just wondering. It is easy to become myopic or to fetishize what is perceived as exotic without first hand experience of how things really are.

Amy Chua has a pretty good piece in the Atlantic. She has a great quote, "As professors specializing in constitutional law and comparative politics, we’re often asked whether there’s another country that could serve as a model for the United States as it attempts to overcome its divisions. We always respond no—America is the best model."

Yes, the U.S. has significant problems. Speaking as one who has been at the pointy end of the spear implementing national policy abroad, my experience is that human nature is fundamentally the same everywhere. Human beings are fallen. The U.S., as have all governments and peoples, has committed unspeakable horrors throughout its history.

Yet of all the various governments and peoples, the U.S. in particular has enabled freedom and prosperity on a level impossible to appreciate until you have seen the depths of poverty and authoritarianism elsewhere. Sure it is a work in progress, but i don't think most Americans truly understand just how rare such a society is, and how blessed they are to be part of it, when considering the full breadth of human history.

Reference: The Threat of Tribalism

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,133.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
This is one of the major changes I've seen in my lifetime. For roughly the first quarter of my life, the United States was the capitalist nation with a Christian majority and the Soviet Union was the main promoter of communism and atheism worldwide.

With the fall of the Soviet Union, Russia has undergone an amazing transformation. Our transformation has been...well, less than amazing. For the past decade or so our government has been following a very misguided foreign policy where it promotes Sunni Islamic dictatorships (that whole Arab spring thing which ended badly) and has been promoting abortion and homosexuality around the world at taxpayer expense. Meanwhile Hollywood and our media spread cultural filth around the world like some toxic waste pump.

This transformation in Russia is one of the reasons why I think American Democrats have done a 180 and gone from collaborating with the USSR for 50 years to considering Russia to be public enemy number one.

But the revival in Russia is nothing short of amazing. May God Bless Patriarch Kirill.

Russian Churches Reaching Record Numbers

As Christ Conquers Communism, Mass Baptisms in Rivers Are Common in Russia (BONUS VIDEO) - Knights Templar International

Putin: It Is Impossible to Imagine Russia Without Christianity (Video)

Putin Trashes Marx and Lenin: Marxism Was Wrong, Family Matters [video] - Knights Templar International

Russia has had alot of baptisms post-Communism but many of the people equate being Christian with nationalism and submission to authoritarian leaders. Russia has one of the lowest rates of church attendance in all of Europe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Newtheran

Sep 10, 2018
South
✟26,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Per capita church attendance isn't necessarily an indicator of church health particularly in a society coming out from the darkness of two decades of communism. Church growth is. Based on that, the church in Russia is much healthier than that in the United States.

For instance, your church has seen a 50% collapse in vocations in a decade, tithing has dropped almost 50% nationally, and "The National Council of Churches reports that the ELCA has "the sharpest rate of membership decline" among all mainline Protestant denominations."

Progressive Christianity’s Suicide, ELCA Edition

ELCA Has Biggest Split in American Church History | VirtueOnline – The Voice for Global Orthodox Anglicanism

Upvote 0