British Columbia
✟72,426.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Well you have a lens that see's the work of the Holy Spirit as two where I see it as one. Maybe it is best to come to a compromise. Baptism that includes infilling.
OK, what's your take on John 20:22 ...
when Jesus said to His 11 disciples, "Receive the Holy Spirit."?

OK, for a compromise, how about we agree that
the work of the Holy Spirit is one and a half?

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The main passage that the second blessing people rely on is the one where Paul asked the Ephesian disciples whether they had received the Holy Spirit since they believed, and they replied that they didn't know anything about a Holy Spirit, because they had the baptism of John the Baptiser. This means that these disciples were still under the Old Covenant, believing in the Messiah to come. When Paul explained that the Messiah has arrived and his Name is Jesus Christ who died on the cross for their sins and was raise from the dead to give them eternal life, the moment they believed in Jesus, the Holy Spirit fell on them and brought them into the New Covenant. This means that they were converted to Christ and baptised with the Spirit at the same time.

So, an accurate exegesis of the passage and an understanding that those who were baptised and believe under John the Baptiser, the last Old Covenant prophet, weakens support for a second blessing baptism with the Spirit, and strengthens support for the baptism with the Spirit happening at the same time as conversion to Christ.
Just trying to follow your logic.. they had been baptized in water thru John B to form the understanding that he (John) was preparing them for the one to follow. So that’s the baptism of repentance, the light of the preaching. John B did not represent the OC / OT by any means (the only logic that could include that was if he were from the Essenes who were dead set against temple activity. ) But the people were baptized unto repentance for which they were set aside (their minds) to the teaching that Him to follow was to prepare them in fire baptism, which happened at Pentecost, to which Paul referred them. They that were at the baptism of John needed not to renew their repentance but became responsible to follow Him to acquire the baptism of fire. Converted at understanding (breath) and equipped for service at Pentecostal refreshings.

Upvote 0

BCsenior

Still an evangelist
Aug 31, 2017
British Columbia
✟72,426.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The question is: Does the Holy Spirit indwell a believer at conversion, go away again, and come back and indwell, or fill the believer again? If we use our common sense, instead of leaving our brains at home when we go to church, which would be the more feasible?
Da more feasible would be my experience
(instead of getting all bogged down with Scripture where nobody agrees with anybody),
the witch of it is: baptized with Holy Spirit (with the evidence of speaking in tongues)
about 5 years after foist receiving the Holy Spirit (inside) ...
at which time my thinking, ideas, opinions, etc. changed quite dramatically
and I started going to church and devouring the word.

Upvote 0

BCsenior

Still an evangelist
Aug 31, 2017
British Columbia
✟72,426.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
... the moment they believed in Jesus, the Holy Spirit fell on them and brought them into the New Covenant. This means that they were converted to Christ and baptised with the Spirit at the same time.
... strengthens support for the baptism with the Spirit happening at the same time
as conversion to Christ.
Yes, many believers have simultaneously received the Holy Spirit INSIDE and UPON.
INSIDE for the 1st blessing: being born again.
UPON for the 2nd blessing: being baptized with the Holy Spirit (with the evidence of tongues).
The first time this ever happened was on the Day of Pentecost.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Just trying to follow your logic.. they had been baptized in water thru John B to form the understanding that he (John) was preparing them for the one to follow. So that’s the baptism of repentance, the light of the preaching. John B did not represent the OC / OT by any means (the only logic that could include that was if he were from the Essenes who were dead set against temple activity. ) But the people were baptized unto repentance for which they were set aside (their minds) to the teaching that Him to follow was to prepare them in fire baptism, which happened at Pentecost, to which Paul referred them. They that were at the baptism of John needed not to renew their repentance but became responsible to follow Him to acquire the baptism of fire. Converted at understanding (breath) and equipped for service at Pentecostal refreshings.
They were believers in the sense that the Apostles were believers before the day of Pentecost, but at the day of Pentecost they went from the Old Covenant which was cancelled at the death of Jesus, to the New Covenant which came into force on the Day of Pentecost. From the day of Pentecost all new believers were converted and baptised with the Spirit at the same time. It was just that the Ephesian disciples were in a believing state according to the Old Covenant, but as soon as Paul brought them up to date, they experienced their own Pentecost.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Da more feasible would be my experience
(instead of getting all bogged down with Scripture where nobody agrees with anybody),
the witch of it is: baptized with Holy Spirit (with the evidence of speaking in tongues)
about 5 years after foist receiving the Holy Spirit (inside) ...
at which time my thinking, ideas, opinions, etc. changed quite dramatically
and I started going to church and devouring the word.
My view is that the Holy Spirit and all his potential was indwelling you all the time over the five years, and it was after that period that you realised that you were filled with the Holy Spirit and able to release Him out of you.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, many believers have simultaneously received the Holy Spirit INSIDE and UPON.
INSIDE for the 1st blessing: being born again.
UPON for the 2nd blessing: being baptized with the Holy Spirit (with the evidence of tongues).
The first time this ever happened was on the Day of Pentecost.
That's just a play on words. The "upon" was an Old Covenant view of the Holy Spirit where the Holy Spirit came upon a person as a special anointing for a specific time and task and then the Spirit lifted off the person again. But the New Covenant view is that the Holy Spirit comes and dwells within the believer and this happens at conversion. The second blessing notion comes out of a confusion between the Old Covenant reception of the Holy Spirit, and the New Covenant indwelling.

• Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
They were believers in the sense that the Apostles were believers before the day of Pentecost, but at the day of Pentecost they went from the Old Covenant which was cancelled at the death of Jesus, to the New Covenant which came into force on the Day of Pentecost. From the day of Pentecost all new believers were converted and baptised with the Spirit at the same time. It was just that the Ephesian disciples were in a believing state according to the Old Covenant, but as soon as Paul brought them up to date, they experienced their own Pentecost.
Some of Paul, Apollos, Sephus it all depends on where the readers are being pointed to. All of them should be pointing to Christ. Simple.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Some of Paul, Apollos, Sephus it all depends on where the readers are being pointed to. All of them should be pointing to Christ. Simple.
I think that it is a lot simpler to accept that one has the indwelling Holy Spirit with all the gifts right from the moment of conversion to Christ, and then all that needs to happen is to allow the Holy Spirit to flow out of us with the gifts as He wills.

The reality is that only those who have their full faith and trust in Christ alone will be filled with the Holy Spirit. Others may receive just a religious spirit.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
More re: the ultimate explanation of the 2 Holy Spirit baptisms

Holy Spirit INSIDE -- Holy Spirit UPON

John 14:16-23 ------- Luke 24:49
abide with you ------ upon
dwells with you ----- the promise
will be in you ------ power
I in you
come to him --------- Acts 1:4-8
with him ------------ upon
--------------------- the promise
John 15:4-5 --------- power
I in you ------------ baptized with the H.S.
I in him ------------ the gift

Romans 8:11 --------- Acts 2:1-4
dwells in you ------- upon
dwells in you ------- filled with the H.S.
--------------------- speaking in tongues
1 Corinthians 3:16
dwells in you ------- Acts 8:14-19
--------------------- upon
Galatians 4:6 ------- power
into your hearts ---- laying on of hands

2 Timothy 1:14 ------ Acts 10:44-48
dwells in us -------- upon
--------------------- speaking in tongues
1 John 3:24 --------- the gift
He in him
abides in us -------- Acts 11:15-17
given (to) us ------- upon
--------------------- baptized with the H.S.
1 John 4:12-16 ------ the gift
abides in us
He in us ------------ Acts 19:5-6
given (to) us ------- upon
abides in him ------- speaking in tongues
God in him ---------- laying on of hands
--------------------- prophecy

In the second column you list, you suggest that the Spirit simply comes upon a person in order to have the gifts in Acts 2, 8, and 10. This is not the case.

Acts of the Apostles 2:4 says, "And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance."

Acts of the Apostles 8:17 says, "Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost."

Acts of the Apostles 10:47 says, "Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
“one Lord, one faith, one baptism,” Ephesians 4:5 (NASB95) Which baptism is the "one baptism"?
Paul is speaking of the baptism into Christ, which is our salvation.

Has nothing to do with water baptism or baptism of the Holy Spirit. Actually, before the Pentecostals took hold of the phrase "baptism of the Holy Spirit" it meant our baptism into Christ, our salvation. The great theologians of the past used that way.

Reactions: Dave L
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
“one Lord, one faith, one baptism,” Ephesians 4:5 (NASB95) Which baptism is the "one baptism"?
For many years I subscribed to traditional Pentecostal doctrine that taught that the baptism with the Spirit came after conversion. But after carefully doing exegesis of the specific passages, I discovered that Christian conversion involved the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. What finally convinced me was what Paul said in Galatians - "Having begin with the Spirit, why are you wanting to continue in the flesh?" (my paraphrase). I thought about why Paul said that, because he was clearly speaking about conversion to Christ which was according to faith alone in Christ, and he termed is as "beginning with the Spirit". This showed me that when a person is converted, they receive the Spirit. Then I read an author who asked the question, "How come the Spirit indwells a believer at conversion, then goes away, and comes back to give a second blessing?" I could then see that once the Holy Spirit indwells a person, He is there to stay.

Paul equates having the Holy Spirit as being converted to Christ, and I then conclude that if a person does not have the Spirit indwelling him, he is not converted. Now, don't confuse (as some will, no doubt) that heresy that because of the belief that tongues has to be the evidence of being filled with the Spirit, that one needs to speak in tongues in order to be saved. That is total nonsense, and is actually blaspheming the blood of Christ which is the foundation of our salvation.

What I conclude then is that we receive the Holy Spirit in all His fullness at conversion, and then as we grow in grace and knowledge of God's Word, we learn how to release the power of the Holy Spirit from us, as rivers of living water, to share the gospel - which is the true power of God that causes those who believe the gospel to be born again of the Spirit.

In actual fact, there is no other power than the gospel of Christ preached and share through the working of the Holy Spirit. Paul said it plainly: "I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ because it is power of God unto salvation to everyone who believes".

This idea that exists among Charismatics that there is a Holy Spirit power that causes people to shake, tremble, jerk, and fall over, is nonsense, and is not the power of the Holy Spirit at all. Those who have those manifestations are like the steam of the locomotive going out through the whistle and not pushing the driving wheels. The real power of the Holy Spirit is the gospel of Christ that is activated in those who believe it, so that they are truly converted to Christ and become new creations in Him.

The best example I know is when Charles Finney got alone with God to really know if Christianity was real, experienced the baptism with the Spirit, got converted to Christ, and as he went back home, met a person on the road, shared the gospel and the guy was converted on the spot. That is the true power of the Spirit; not the waves of glory that came over him, but the immediate conversion of the man he shared the gospel with.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
The Corinthians had the Baptism in the Spirit and were horribly carnal in all they did. The fullness of the Spirit comes through repentance Acts 2:38. The Baptism expired with the Apostles. Several scripture proofs available for a new thread if interested.
And the Church today has the same wonderful power and impact as the early Church? I don't think so. Corinth was a problem, sure. Pentecostals who think that being baptised in the Holy Spirit is the same as showing the fruit of the Spirit are deceived also. The Holy Spirit is a gift. Being born again requires repentance. We need the Baptism of the Holy Spirit just as much as the early church. Making a big deal of tongues talking is not Biblical. It is the least of the gifts. Dismissing the Baptism of the Holy Spirit is a bigger mistake.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
For many years I subscribed to traditional Pentecostal doctrine that taught that the baptism with the Spirit came after conversion. But after carefully doing exegesis of the specific passages, I discovered that Christian conversion involved the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. What finally convinced me was what Paul said in Galatians - "Having begin with the Spirit, why are you wanting to continue in the flesh?" (my paraphrase). I thought about why Paul said that, because he was clearly speaking about conversion to Christ which was according to faith alone in Christ, and he termed is as "beginning with the Spirit". This showed me that when a person is converted, they receive the Spirit. Then I read an author who asked the question, "How come the Spirit indwells a believer at conversion, then goes away, and comes back to give a second blessing?" I could then see that once the Holy Spirit indwells a person, He is there to stay.

Paul equates having the Holy Spirit as being converted to Christ, and I then conclude that if a person does not have the Spirit indwelling him, he is not converted. Now, don't confuse (as some will, no doubt) that heresy that because of the belief that tongues has to be the evidence of being filled with the Spirit, that one needs to speak in tongues in order to be saved. That is total nonsense, and is actually blaspheming the blood of Christ which is the foundation of our salvation.

What I conclude then is that we receive the Holy Spirit in all His fullness at conversion, and then as we grow in grace and knowledge of God's Word, we learn how to release the power of the Holy Spirit from us, as rivers of living water, to share the gospel - which is the true power of God that causes those who believe the gospel to be born again of the Spirit.

In actual fact, there is no other power than the gospel of Christ preached and share through the working of the Holy Spirit. Paul said it plainly: "I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ because it is power of God unto salvation to everyone who believes".

This idea that exists among Charismatics that there is a Holy Spirit power that causes people to shake, tremble, jerk, and fall over, is nonsense, and is not the power of the Holy Spirit at all. Those who have those manifestations are like the steam of the locomotive going out through the whistle and not pushing the driving wheels. The real power of the Holy Spirit is the gospel of Christ that is activated in those who believe it, so that they are truly converted to Christ and become new creations in Him.

The best example I know is when Charles Finney got alone with God to really know if Christianity was real, experienced the baptism with the Spirit, got converted to Christ, and as he went back home, met a person on the road, shared the gospel and the guy was converted on the spot. That is the true power of the Spirit; not the waves of glory that came over him, but the immediate conversion of the man he shared the gospel with.
It's not just Charismatics. The so-called Toronto Blessing was a complete deception, Pentecostals and Charismatics alike. Ignorance is not bliss, it is dangerous. We who are born again have the indwelling Holy Spirit. We can receive the Baptism of the Holy Spirit at conversion or later on (about 3-1/2 years in my case). Lack of correct teaching, overemphasising gifts instead of fruit are commonplace. That does not mean that the gift is invalid. There is also a great temptation to spiritual pride with those who have the gifts. Watchman Nee encouraged Christians to get established in Christ before seeking the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. He saw the dangers.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And the Church today has the same wonderful power and impact as the early Church? I don't think so. Corinth was a problem, sure. Pentecostals who think that being baptised in the Holy Spirit is the same as showing the fruit of the Spirit are deceived also. The Holy Spirit is a gift. Being born again requires repentance. We need the Baptism of the Holy Spirit just as much as the early church. Making a big deal of tongues talking is not Biblical. It is the least of the gifts. Dismissing the Baptism of the Holy Spirit is a bigger mistake.
All born again believers have the Holy spirit. Faith is a fruit of the Holy spirit. But the Baptism served its purpose until the NT canon became completed. Paul said the gifts were only partial, but scripture is complete. And it replaced the Apostles and the Baptism. So today we receive the fullness of the Spirit through repentance Acts 2:38.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
It's not just Charismatics. The so-called Toronto Blessing was a complete deception, Pentecostals and Charismatics alike. Ignorance is not bliss, it is dangerous. We who are born again have the indwelling Holy Spirit. We can receive the Baptism of the Holy Spirit at conversion or later on (about 3-1/2 years in my case). Lack of correct teaching, overemphasising gifts instead of fruit are commonplace. That does not mean that the gift is invalid. There is also a great temptation to spiritual pride with those who have the gifts. Watchman Nee encouraged Christians to get established in Christ before seeking the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. He saw the dangers.
There was a great revival in Wales in the early 1900's It was a result of much prayer. The common feature of this revival was the restoration of the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
All born again believers have the Holy spirit. Faith is a fruit of the Holy spirit. But the Baptism served its purpose until the NT canon became completed. Paul said the gifts were only partial, but scripture is complete. And it replaced the Apostles and the Baptism. So today we receive the fullness of the Spirit through repentance Acts 2:38.
Yes, a common point of view which my first church held. Charismatics and Pentecostals were considered demon possessed in many evangelical churches. I had the blessing of travelling widely and meeting all kinds of Christians, courtesy of the military. I met Pentecostals and most other denominations. After much soul-searching I realised that I was lacking the spiritual power of the Pentecostals that I knew. I sought and received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit Christmas Eve, 1974. It was a blessed experience but there were no physical manifestations. I don't know how anyone can claim that the Baptism of the Holy Spirit was rendered unnecessary. Charles Wesley thought it essential and I am told that John Wesley was of the same opinion.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, a common point of view which my first church held. Charismatics and Pentecostals were considered demon possessed in many evangelical churches. I had the blessing of travelling widely and meeting all kinds of Christians, courtesy of the military. I met Pentecostals and most other denominations. After much soul-searching I realised that I was lacking the spiritual power of the Pentecostals that I knew. I sought and received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit Christmas Eve, 1974. It was a blessed experience but there were no physical manifestations. I don't know how anyone can claim that the Baptism of the Holy Spirit was rendered unnecessary. Charles Wesley thought it essential and I am told that John Wesley was of the same opinion.
You didn't receive the Baptism. But probably the infilling of the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0