• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

The truth of the modern Flat Earth movement

Discussion in 'Non-Mainstream and Controversial Science' started by pitabread, Feb 14, 2020.

1. pitabread

pitabread Well-Known Member

+8,089
    Canada
    Agnostic
    Private
    [​IMG]

Given the trend among Flat Earth proponents to avoid any sort of discussions in favor of arbitrarily linking YouTube videos, is there any reason to suspect that FE isn't just a ploy to drive up YouTube traffic?

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Lost4words

Lost4words In reality, an old dog! Supporter

+4,998
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    All their so called 'facts' are on youtube so it must be legit! o_O

3. topher694

topher694 Go Turtle!

+1,517
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I think this is half right. I'm convinced that many truly believe it, but that a few take advantage of that.

I did some research on it awhile back and there was a fascinating theory/study that basically said the FE movement was a weird combination of a psychological condition (not a illness, a mindset) and a quirky byproduct of search engine/news algorithms. Basically it boiled down to the fact that the topic got clicks and often ended up on the top of news feeds because of it. It wasn't intentional, just a natural byproduct of these two phenomenon. The higher visibility further feeds and spreads the conspiracy which generates more clicks and the cycle continues.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. HARK!

HARK! Well-Known Member

+503
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I've had suspicions that the FEM was started by Atheists, in an attempt to ridicule Christianity; as some of Christianity's more gullible members fall into this snare.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Larnievc

Larnievc Well-Known Member

+2,693
    Atheist
    Married
    UK-Labour
    It thought it was started as a joke to explore the nuances of the scientific method.

Or something like that.

6. Tom 1

Tom 1 Optimistic sceptic Supporter

+8,388
    Romania
    Christian
    Married
    I reckon it's just a long-play version of the old guys sitting in pubs starting every convo with 'I know for a fact that....'

7. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints! Supporter

+2,991
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    I think that platygeism is a troll against Young-Earth Creationism.

8. Larnievc

+2,693
    Atheist
    Married
    UK-Labour
    That’s an odd take. You don’t have to be Christian to be gullible.

9. HARK!

HARK! Well-Known Member

+503
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Nope! Everyone is gullible to some degree. Agents provocateur show up at political rallies; and people on both sides of the issue are often gullible enough to fall for their deception.

10. Pavel Mosko

Pavel Mosko Arch-Dude of the Apostolic Supporter

+1,056
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    I'm going to agree with the Steven Crowder pic/ bill board. I've heard lots and lots of talk about Flat Earth folks. But I seriously doubt they are a real serious movement to contend with. I'm guessing they are maybe a few thousand folks in the US.

How many people have ever met one of these people in real life? I can't say I ever have. I've met a few religious sub cultures like the Amish, but never someone like this.

The Internet seems to be force multiplier for strangeness. Fringe groups are much more visible or noticeable than they would normally be, even though to some degree the advent of Television, radio, newspapers did something similar in earlier years. e.g. Anton Lavey's Church of Satan got much more attention in the late 1960s to mid 1970s than it would have if it was started decades or a century earlier.

11. SkyWriting

SkyWriting The Librarian Supporter

+6,106
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others

A former co-worker of mine believes in ufo's as well as secret government anti-gravity technology. He is otherwise pretty normal.

12. Pavel Mosko

Pavel Mosko Arch-Dude of the Apostolic Supporter

+1,056
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    But that sort of thing is on "The History Channel", and has been part of a pop culture movement going back decades as far as TV shows, and talk radio is concerned. e.g.- The X files was a top TV show for years etc.

13. Strathos

Strathos No one important

+3,309
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
    There are flat earthers all over the globe.:wave:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. SkyWriting

SkyWriting The Librarian Supporter

+6,106
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    This guy is on the other end of pop culture. He might not have a tv.

15. Michael

Michael Contributor Supporter

+1,161
    Christian
    Actually even the US military has acknowledged the existence of UFO's. I suspect they are home (Earth) brew technology of course, but even trained military pilots have trouble explaining them.

US military admits it has secret footage of UFO incident

16. Jimmy D

Jimmy D Well-Known Member

+5,025
    Atheist
    Married
    I said more or less the same thing in another thread after watching “Behind the Curve” (or whatever it’s called).

A few of them attempted experiments to show a flat Earth (they failed), but most were only interested in promoting their websites and YouTube channels.

17. Larnievc

+2,693
    Atheist
    Married
    UK-Labour
    Yeah but you said FE was set up specifically set up to trick Christians. Only to most simple minded people steep in magical thinking and conspiracy theories would fall for something as obviously nutty as FE.

Then you say there are always agent provocateurs.

Doth you protest too much?

18. Bungle_Bear

Bungle_Bear Whoot!

+2,269
    Agnostic
    Married
    Off topic, but if you want to use archaic forms it would behoove you to use them correctly. Doth is 3rd person singular - doth he, not doth you. 2nd person singular is dost thou.

/off topic rant

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. HARK!

HARK! Well-Known Member

+503
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    No I didn't. I said that I've had suspicions. I try to avoid making false accusations. Thou shalt not!

No I didn't. I try to avoid making absolute statements. In order to correctly make an absolute statement; one must most often require absolute knowledge. I reserve that ability to our Father in heaven. Glory to him.

Let me get this straight.

Do you really have suspicions that I'm an Atheist posing as a Christian?

If so, you might be more gullible than those who have fallen for the FEM.

20. Larnievc

+2,693
    Atheist
    Married
    UK-Labour
    Of course not.

I NEVER make absolute statements.