Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Truth is health and life, not pain. When people say that "the truth hurts", it is misleading. What hurts is when you realize you are wrong. And frankly, it is not the error itself that hurts, but the pride when you believed you were right. The Truth sets us free, but error keeps us in bondage.

So why make this thread? Because political correctness infects the Church. Many Christians are so afraid of hurting someone's feelings or causing some kind of offense, that they do not speak the Truth or skirt the Truth. We rationalize that we are to speak the Truth in love as though the word "love" means not offending. But that is a lame excuse. Please do not misunderstand me. I am not saying that we are to be abrasive and deliberately offensive, but, honestly, the Truth is always offensive to those who cherish their lies. When Jesus said that he came to bring a sword and to divide family members, he simply acknowledged the truth that causes division from lies.

This is true in this forum. I respect the rules of not flaming and goading others. We are not to incite conflict, but conflict is inevitable when truth and lies clash. I have been reprimanded several times because the moderators often view any offense as flaming and goading. When appealed another moderator determined that there was no willful intent to flame or goad. I appeal to the moderators not to be politically correct in your perceptions. Take the time to read the whole thread before judging comments as flaming or goading.

Again, I agree with the rules. I have no intention of willfully inciting an offense, but I have every intention of speaking the Truth.

Reactions: MotherFirefly

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,210,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think I see what you're saying.

I do believe that feelings of offense are an inside job. This doesn't mean that
I don't feel offended by things, but at least I realize the mechanics of it.
Others don't offend me, but rather my interpretation of what others say / do
is what does the actual offending.

In other words, only I can offend me.

That said, I do try not to go out of my way to offend people, because I don't
think many are yet aware of the whole offense-is-taken-not-given concept.
And even if they were, it's a challenge to actually live by it, because feelings
of offense can be very ingrained.

-

• Agree
Reactions: AlexDTX
Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The truth given at the wrong time or in the wrong way can be harmful.

“I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. (John 16:12, 1984 NIV)
What I agree with in your comment is the need for wisdom. It is still not the Truth that hurts but the error. However, wisdom and discretion should control how much to burst the bubble of error so Truth can be restored in the person.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do believe that feelings of offense are an inside job. This doesn't mean that
I don't feel offended by things,
Feelings are not the truth. They are only indicators that something is going on that needs to be investigated further.

"Feelings" can and do get people killed.
Ask any flight instructor who is teaching instrument rules flight certification.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Truth can hurt if its not the truth but just one person thinking its the truth. Like telling someone "God made you born disabled because He knew you were going to be a bad person!".
I agree with your point, but this, again, is error causing the hurt, not the truth.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The problem with some truth givers is that they "let women speak in the church" e.g. they give it with their on emotional attachments. If you feel offended or disrespected, you should not try to give any "words from the lord" You should instead preface your statement with a disclaimer, like Paul : 1 cor 7:12 "But to the rest speak I, not the Lord:"

But if you are claiming to be speaking the Truth that is Jesus......Dont let the woman speak in the church. Most of these forums are meant to help....not for emotional outburst. If the heathen walks past and see us behaving like them....what cause would they have to come in?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AlexDTX

Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The problem with some truth givers is that they "let women speak in the church" e.g. they give it with their on emotional attachments. If you feel offended or disrespected, you should not try to give any "words from the lord" You should instead preface your statement with a disclaimer, like Paul : 1 cor 7:12 "But to the rest speak I, not the Lord:"
I would not confine "emotional attachments" to women. If your pet doctrine is wrong, it will have emotional attachment because of pride. But I do agree with disclaimers like Paul saying this is my opinion, or some other indication of your thought. Although when I told a friend of mine about this type of preface, he said if your mouth is moving it is your opinion and everyone should understand that already.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would not confine "emotional attachments" to women. If your pet doctrine is wrong, it will have emotional attachment because of pride. But I do agree with disclaimers like Paul saying this is my opinion, or some other indication of your thought. Although when I told a friend of mine about this type of preface, he said if your mouth is moving it is your opinion and everyone should understand that already.

I wasnt speaking about females at all....I was speaking only of emotional attachments. e.g. I dont believe the verse to be talking about females either. And I believe there are difference between myself speaking and the holy spirit speaking through me. And I try to always separate what i believe from what i know in a way similar to Paul's preface

• Agree
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Truth is health and life, not pain. When people say that "the truth hurts", it is misleading. What hurts is when you realize you are wrong. And frankly, it is not the error itself that hurts, but the pride when you believed you were right. The Truth sets us free, but error keeps us in bondage.

So why make this thread? Because political correctness infects the Church. Many Christians are so afraid of hurting someone's feelings or causing some kind of offense, that they do not speak the Truth or skirt the Truth. We rationalize that we are to speak the Truth in love as though the word "love" means not offending. But that is a lame excuse. Please do not misunderstand me. I am not saying that we are to be abrasive and deliberately offensive, but, honestly, the Truth is always offensive to those who cherish their lies. When Jesus said that he came to bring a sword and to divide family members, he simply acknowledged the truth that causes division from lies.

This is true in this forum. I respect the rules of not flaming and goading others. We are not to incite conflict, but conflict is inevitable when truth and lies clash. I have been reprimanded several times because the moderators often view any offense as flaming and goading. When appealed another moderator determined that there was no willful intent to flame or goad. I appeal to the moderators not to be politically correct in your perceptions. Take the time to read the whole thread before judging comments as flaming or goading.

Again, I agree with the rules. I have no intention of willfully inciting an offense, but I have every intention of speaking the Truth.

Scripture says you should think twice about opening your mouth.
Can you hear me now?

phone-guy-2.jpg

Exodus 14:14
The Lord will fight for you, and you have only to be silent.”

Proverbs 17:28
Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent.

James 1:19
Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger;

Proverbs 11:12
Whoever belittles his neighbor lacks sense, but a man of understanding remains silent.

Proverbs 29:11
A fool gives full vent to his spirit, but a wise man quietly holds it back.

61 Bible verses about Silence - Knowing Jesus

Last edited:
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,210,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
Feelings are not the truth. They are only indicators that something is going on that needs to be investigated further.
Exactly. Well said.

"Feelings" can and do get people killed. Ask any flight instructor who is teaching instrument rules flight certification.
More specifically, it's how one acts, based upon one's feelings, that
can get people killed. Feelings by themselves don't do anything -- it's
what one does, in response to one's feelings, that do.

It reminds me of a driving-safety film my kids had to see as a first
step towards getting their license. The portion dealing with texting
while driving showcased teens holding up cellphones and saying,
"This text is what killed my sister", "This text is what killed my
friend", etc. Technically, the texts weren't what killed those people,
but their decision to read the texts while driving that did. The texts
don't do anything but sit there on one's phone; it's how one
responds to the text that determines what happens next.

-

-

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Scripture says you should think twice about opening your mouth.
Can you hear me now?

phone-guy-2.jpg
The Bible also says:
Ecc 3:7 A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;

Jesus said:
Mat_10:27 What I tell you in darkness, that speak ye in light: and what ye hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops.

He also said to Paul:
Act_18:9 Then spake the Lord to Paul in the night by a vision, Be not afraid, but speak, and hold not thy peace:

There is wisdom in speaking, but there is also a time to be frank.
Can you hear me now?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Bible also says:
Ecc 3:7 A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
Jesus said:
Mat_10:27 What I tell you in darkness, that speak ye in light: and what ye hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops.
He also said to Paul:
Act_18:9 Then spake the Lord to Paul in the night by a vision, Be not afraid, but speak, and hold not thy peace:

There is wisdom in speaking, but there is also a time to be frank.
Can you hear me now?

I really did try to find support for speaking...I really did
and no mention of Frank.

What Does the Bible Say About Speaking?

What Does the Bible Say About Speaking Out?

What Does the Bible Say About Speaking Up?

But I couldn't find any saying to speak your mind.

• Haha
Upvote 0

MJFlores

Mar 22, 2017
Philippines
✟19,304.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Your not alone, someone wrote me this:

-------------------
Very well. You were not especially forthcoming beyond "Church of Christ" so I checked on the internet and this site Church of Christ which is one "Church of Christ" lists as Article 9 of its statement of beliefs that the Book of Mormon is an additional revelation.

It doesn't really matter which denomination you profess, no need to pursue it.

But as I said, the Church established BY Christ Himself has always recognized the deity of Christ.

St Thomas called Him "my Lord AND MY GOD" when he encountered the Risen Christ.

And as I've told you, these discussions cannot continue in Christian-only forums. It has never been the position of Christianity to deny the divine nature of Christ. My earlier post quoted the site rules.

-------------------
It means don't talk about Jesus Christ. Even from the bible! Now I know how 1st Century Christians felt.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Your not alone, someone wrote me this:

-------------------
Very well. You were not especially forthcoming beyond "Church of Christ" so I checked on the internet and this site Church of Christ which is one "Church of Christ" lists as Article 9 of its statement of beliefs that the Book of Mormon is an additional revelation.

It doesn't really matter which denomination you profess, no need to pursue it.

But as I said, the Church established BY Christ Himself has always recognized the deity of Christ.

St Thomas called Him "my Lord AND MY GOD" when he encountered the Risen Christ.

And as I've told you, these discussions cannot continue in Christian-only forums. It has never been the position of Christianity to deny the divine nature of Christ. My earlier post quoted the site rules.

-------------------
It means don't talk about Jesus Christ. Even from the bible! Now I know how 1st Century Christians felt.
I have not watched the Inquisition video for lack of time, but I am trying to understand Article 9 of the Church of Christ website. I looked at other Church of Christ websites and did not find this mentioned, so I wonder if it is specific to one group in the association.

Upvote 0

MJFlores

Mar 22, 2017
Philippines
✟19,304.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When people make their rules, often times they twist it to suit their agendas and motives. When they don't want others to read bible truths - they slap you with rules that isn't there. They just don't want to accept they are believing something which is untrue. Hence they will lie about the rules.

one lie.jpg

Upvote 0