• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

The Truth about Personality Disorders

Long Island Pilgrim

Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2016
NY
✟67,631.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
stuff like this is actually what causes people with legitimate mental disorders to ultimately take their own lives.

while there's a lot of misdiagnosis out there due to drug companies wanting to get people to use their products, there are those with real issues that the church should address with care and empathy and not by telling them that's it's all in their head and that they need to tough it out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
stuff like this is actually what causes people with legitimate mental disorders ultimately take their own lives.

while there's a lot of misdiagnosis out there due to drug companies wanting to get people to use their products, there are those with real issues that the church should address with care and empathy and not by telling them that's it's all in their head and that they need to tough it out.

Completely agree.

People with psychological disorders, need to be treated by people trained to treat those disorders. I'm sorry, when you bring religion into this matter, it doesn't help people, if religion trumps real professional care.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Do you have a link which also shows people how to cure cancer and diabetes and every other health disorder? The brain is simply another organ in the body and it can malfunction like all the others. People with mental health disorders need support and understanding to help normalize their conditions so they are willing to accept ACTUAL and proven medical and pharmaceutical treatments to MANAGE these chronic health conditions. It isn't failure of faith or evidence of sin. It wasn't too long ago that having a Down's syndrome child was proof of the sin of the parent instead of a genetic anomaly...or do you have a "cure" for that too?

Upvote 0

Long Island Pilgrim

Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2016
NY
✟67,631.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you have a link which also shows people how to cure cancer and diabetes and every other health disorder? The brain is simply another organ in the body and it can malfunction like all the others. People with mental health disorders need support and understanding to help normalize their conditions so they are willing to accept ACTUAL and proven medical and pharmaceutical treatments to MANAGE these chronic health conditions. It isn't failure of faith or evidence of sin. It wasn't too long ago that having a Down's syndrome child was proof of the sin of the parent instead of a genetic anomaly...or do you have a "cure" for that too?

Yes, I do have a link for curing physical conditions. And people are getting cured all the time. But I don't believe that I should have to offer that information up to individuals who are promoting and insisting on adhering to Non- Christians secular belief systems. This is a Christian forum and yet people are responding with secular indoctrination. I would expect these responses in a secular forum but not a Christian forum, however I do realize that many people who claim to be Christian are not genuinely Born Again. If you had approached your response with an open heart and even a shred of humility at the most remote possibility that you might be wrong (as I would expect would be the appropriate posture from a true brother or Sister in Christ) , I would have gladly provided you that link. But I don't believe in reinforcing or rewarding non Christian attitudes.

Individuals are making erroneous assertions based on what they have been spoon fed in the mass media. We are on a Christian forum and yet people are rejecting sound doctrine which has also in many cases been scientifically substantiated and which many, many Christians around the world know to be true. I am not going to spoon feed people who absolutely refuse to be led by the Spirit and to also read alternative books and explore contrary research because it's been repeatedly proven that the same people that tend to approach the world in this way are also seeking circumstances of bias conformation and who will selectively seek out information that only supports their view. So my response to that is : " suit yourself...learn the hard way." Continue to insist how right you are! Meanwhile there are a lot of Christians who have actually been open to the truth and who are living in freedom . When one has been genuinely converted to Christianity and has the Holy Spirit dwelling within them the things that I am talking about are not an absurdity because the Holy Spirit will convict that person of the truth.

1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

Explore the field of psychoneuroendocrinoimmunology.

May God bless you and lead you into truth.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes, I do have a link for curing physical conditions. And people are getting cured all the time. But I don't believe that I should have to offer that information up to individuals who are promoting and insisting on adhering to Non- Christians secular belief systems. This is a Christian forum and yet people are responding with secular indoctrination. I would expect these responses in a secular forum but not a Christian forum, however I do realize that many people who claim to be Christian are not genuinely Born Again. If you had approached your response with an open heart and even a shred of humility at the most remote possibility that you might be wrong (as I would expect would be the appropriate posture from a true brother or Sister in Christ) , I would have gladly provided you that link. But I don't believe in reinforcing or rewarding non Christian attitudes.

Individuals are making erroneous assertions based on what they have been spoon fed in the mass media. We are on a Christian forum and yet people are rejecting sound doctrine which has also in many cases been scientifically substantiated and which many, many Christians around the world know to be true. I am not going to spoon feed people who absolutely refuse to be led by the Spirit and to also read alternative books and explore contrary research because it's been repeatedly proven that the same people that tend to approach the world in this way are also seeking circumstances of bias conformation and who will selectively seek out information that only supports their view. So my response to that is : " suit yourself...learn the hard way." Continue to insist how right you are! Meanwhile there are a lot of Christians who have actually been open to the truth and who are living in freedom . When one has been genuinely converted to Christianity and has the Holy Spirit dwelling within them the things that I am talking about are not an absurdity because the Holy Spirit will convict that person of the truth.

1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

Explore the field of psychoneuroendocrinoimmunology.

May God bless you and lead you into truth.

Let me ask you a question. If you or one of your loved ones, had a serious medical condition, that doctors are telling you required immediate treatment, based on proven medical science, would you forgo this treatment and just pray instead?

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I am licensed Registered nurse who works with both medical and mental health patients. Trust me, there are some very strong Christians who are fighting cancer and diabetes and are even fighting mental health conditions because we live in a fallen world which includes illness and death. There is a reason why many hospital systems are CHRISTIAN organizations. IF you chose to bypass traditional medicine, that is your option but it is wrong to act like you have all the answers for everyone and all health concerns. If you do, please go to the poor areas of the world and start healing the people who have no money or access to traditional medicine ... should be fast and easy for someone so sure of themselves ...

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟936,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
... This is a Christian forum and yet people are responding with secular indoctrination. I would expect these responses in a secular forum but not a Christian forum, however I do realize that many people who claim to be Christian are not genuinely Born Again. ..

Uh oh. I practice psychotherapy in a faith-based mental health treatment agency. By your standards, I am not a real Christian nor is the denomination I work with truly doing God's work. :dizzy:

You know I can dismiss your insult to Christians who think differently than you, but your touting this ill-informed belief about mental health treatment is irresponsible and a disservice to those who struggle daily to cope with emotional disorders.

• Winner
Reactions: bhsmte
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums