California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Hello all, I finally just got around to watching the Truman Show (I know right) and I saw a lot of me in it.

I'm sure you all may have seen a lot of yourselves in it too...unless, of course, you're not as crazy as I am.

But, today I was wondering just how much of it has to do with me and I wondered about how, in the end, he pretty much gracefully forgave all the watchers, by simply saying his trademark line, "If I don't see you again..." (Something like that).

Anywho, my thoughts were led to this verse:

Hebrews 12:1
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us,"

And it kind of resolved my angst over the whole issue (I have more than Sports Illustrated)...Ha ha ha...

So yeah, we're all being watched, we all have our own show, and it is important to not hold anything against any of the watchers...heck, they just need to be entertained I guess.

We just have to keep our wits and use our little quips God gave us...and carry on.

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
Hello all, I finally just got around to watching the Truman Show (I know right) and I saw a lot of me in it.

I'm sure you all may have seen a lot of yourselves in it too...unless, of course, you're not as crazy as I am.

But, today I was wondering just how much of it has to do with me and I wondered about how, in the end, he pretty much gracefully forgave all the watchers, by simply saying his trademark line, "If I don't see you again..." (Something like that).

Anywho, my thoughts were led to this verse:

Hebrews 12:1
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us,"

And it kind of resolved my angst over the whole issue (I have more than Sports Illustrated)...Ha ha ha...

So yeah, we're all being watched, we all have our own show, and it is important to not hold anything against any of the watchers...heck, they just need to be entertained I guess.

We just have to keep our wits and use our little quips God gave us...and carry on.
I think this is such a weird concept--it is clearly untrue. Consider going on Youtube and searching Hitchens: Celestial North Korea. See what you think. Warning, it might feel provocative. I don't want to post the video myself--but the curious will find it. I think it's great.

• Informative
Reactions: Jok
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The feeling of being permanently watched and in a situation similarly to the truman show is an indicator for shizophrenia.

Really? Oh no!

• Haha
Reactions: Jok and Tone
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We are not being watched.
I think this is such a weird concept--it is clearly untrue. Consider going on Youtube and searching Hitchens: Celestial North Korea. See what you think. Warning, it might feel provocative. I don't want to post the video myself--but the curious will find it. I think it's great.

And you might go on Amazon and search for two books by Larry Alex Taunton:

The Grace Effect: How the Power of One Life Can Reverse the Corruption of Unbelief (2011)

&

The Faith of Christopher Hitchens (2016) ;)

• Informative
Reactions: Jok and Tone
Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
And you might go on Amazon and search for two books by Larry Alex Taunton:

The Grace Effect: How the Power of One Life Can Reverse the Corruption of Unbelief (2011)

&

The Faith of Christopher Hitchens (2016) ;)
I have read parts of The Faith of Christopher Hitchens by Taunton. It was a struggle to take serious. The fact that he tried to redefine faith to make it look as if Hitch had anything resembling the faith of the religious was uncomplying.

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
I have read parts of The Faith of Christopher Hitchens by Taunton. It was a struggle to take serious. The fact that he tried to redefine faith to make it look as if Hitch had anything resembling the faith of the religious was uncomplying.

Below is an interesting interview with Taunton about Hitch--watch what happens when Laurence Krause steps in.:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jok

Jul 9, 2019
Indiana
✟42,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
You’re killing me! I already have 3 videos on deck lol

Upvote 0

Jok

Jul 9, 2019
Indiana
✟42,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
What does that mean?
Just joking, a couple friends of mine send me some of the longest videos, I have 3 that I didn’t get to yet and now I wanna watch the Hitchens video too that’s why I said you’re killing me.

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
Just joking, a couple friends of mine send me some of the longest videos, I have 3 that I didn’t get to yet and now I wanna watch the Hitchens video too that’s why I said you’re killing me.
Oh gotcha. That's part of the reason I didn't want to include a ling or embed it. I figure, if people are really interested they'll find it. It is a good one. Hitch is one of those guys that seems to appeal to almost everyone--even if they ultimately disagree with his conclusions.

Reactions: Jok
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Below is an interesting interview with Taunton about Hitch--watch what happens when Laurence Krause steps in.:

I've seen that video. And so what?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Well then. I have the book, so let's read it together, front to back and see what Taunton says ...... or are you afraid to do that?

Upvote 0

HopeInJesusOnly

Sep 18, 2019
Home
✟14,230.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The feeling of being permanently watched and in a situation similarly to the truman show is an indicator for shizophrenia.

But God is omnipresent, which means He is with you (and watching) at all times.

The bible says this "cloud of witnesses" is also always watching.

And for fun, adults tell children Santa knows who's naughty or nice -- so be good for goodness sake! He can only have this secret knowledge one way.

Your remark to the OP is unfair: you called him schizophrenic, when the bible clearly teaches God is always watching. Your neighbours, colleagues, friends, relatives are also watching and judging -- and that's the truth.

So, I agree that life is kind of like the Truman show. We are all the centers of our own universe, and the way people interact with us greatly affects our existence...and, if not an atheist, a deity is watching!

Lastly, many have come to the same realization as the OP. See for yourself below.

Watch "The Hidden Meaning in The Truman Show

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,565.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
But God is omnipresent, which means He is with you (and watching) at all times.

The bible says this "cloud of witnesses" is also always watching.

And for fun, adults tell children Santa knows who's naughty or nice -- so be good for goodness sake! He can only have this secret knowledge one way.

Your remark to the OP is unfair: you called him schizophrenic, when the bible clearly teaches God is always watching. Your neighbours, colleagues, friends, relatives are also watching and judging -- and that's the truth.

So, I agree that life is kind of like the Truman show. We are all the centers of our own universe, and the way people interact with us greatly affects our existence...and, if not an atheist, a deity is watching!

Lastly, many have come to the same realization as the OP. See for yourself below.

Watch "The Hidden Meaning in The Truman Show
I don't believe that my goddess is always watching me, and I'm gratefull for that.

Upvote 0