the true story of Jehoahaz and Jehoash ?

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
from 850-800 BC, the kings of Israel and Judah always had the same names at the same times.

the Royal genealogies were redacted, turning single kings of united Israel and Judah into doppelganger twins.

in order to cover up the fact that the kings on the throne of Judah were no longer direct male descendants of David and Solomon, but male descendants of Omri and Ahab (through marriage of Jehoram son of Ahab to Athaliah daughter of Jehoshaphat)

Elijah and Elisha, through Jehu, imposed a harem on the male lineage of Ahab, husband of Jezebel. Jehu executed Jezebel, her son Jehoram, mortally wounded her grandson Ahaziah son of Jehoram (who lingered for one year), and executed all the other sons of Ahab, as well as the brothers of Ahaziah.

because he outlived his father one year, Ahaziah is listed as king of Judah one year, and successor king of Israel after Jehu's coup.

One son of Ahaziah = Jehoahaz survived hidden in the temple by the priest Jehoida and his royal wife Jehosheba, sister of Ahaziah & daughter of Jehoram. Queen mother Athaliah reigned six years until the threat of Jehu had waned, and her surviving son Jehoash ruled all of Israel.

united Israel briefly resurged under Jehoash (2 Kings 13:22-25), who was initially loyal to both priest Jehoida and prophet Elisha

when he was assassinated, the kingdom was divided once again between Jeroboam II in Israel and Amaziah in Judah.

from Ahaziah = Jehoahaz onwards, all the kings of Judah were direct male descendants of Omri and Ahab.

no effect on the genealogy of Jesus' earthly foster father Joseph.
wp_ss_20190221_0001.png

Last edited:

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Tel Dan Stele - Wikipedia

Hazael of Damascus boasted, apparently taking credit for the actual deeds of Jehu:

6. ...I slew [seve]nty kin[gs], who harnessed th[ousands of cha-]
7. riots and thousands of horsemen (or: horses). [I killed Jeho]ram son [of Ahab]
8. king of Israel, and killed [Ahaz]iahu son of [Jehoram kin-]

9. g of the House of David, and I set [their towns into ruins and turned ]
10. their land into [desolation ]
11. other [... and Jehu ru-]
12. led
over Is[rael and I laid]
13. siege upon [ ][12]

Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
https://www.bible-history.com/black-obelisk/what-is-the-black-obelisk.html

The second register from the top includes the earliest surviving picture of an Israelite: the Biblical Jehu, king of Israel, brought or sent his tribute in around 841 BC. Ahab, son of Omri, king of Israel, had lost his life in battle a few years previously, fighting against the king of Damascus at Ramoth-Gilead (I Kings xxii. 29-36). His second son (Joram) was succeeded by Jehu, a usurper, who broke the alliances with Phoenicia and Judah, and submitted to Assyria. The caption above the scene, written in Assyrian cuneiform, can be translated:

"The tribute of Jehu, son of Omri: I received from him silver, gold, a golden bowl, a golden vase with pointed bottom, golden tumblers, golden buckets, tin, a staff for a king [and] spears."

Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jehu's coup in 841 BC was not enough to stop Hazael of Damascus. Jehu lost all of Israel beyond the Jordan (2 Kings 12 or so)

so he submitted to the Assyrians who then focused on Damascus, relieving the pressure on Israel. Israel was able to return to their tents

then when he came of age, Jehoash was able to regain ground against a weakened Damascus

Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
https://www.bible-history.com/black-obelisk/shalmaneser-assyria.html

Shalmaneser III also mentions Jehu on another fragment from his annals:

"In the 18th year of my reign [841 BC] I crossed the Euphrates for the sixteenth time. Hazael of Damascus trusted in the power of his forces, marshalled his troops in full strength. He made Senir (Mt. Hermon), the summit of the mountain opposite Lebanon, his stronghold. With him I fought, and defeated him. Six thousand of his soldiers I brought down with weapons; 1121 of his chariots, 470 of his horses, together with his camp, I took from him. To save his life he fled; I pursued him; in Damascus, his royal city, I shut him up. His plantations I destroyed. As far as the mountains of Hauran I marched. Towns without number I laid waste, razed, and burnt with fire. There innumerable spoil I carried away. As far as to the mountains of Baal-rasi situated close to the sea (the head land at Dog River), I marched. My royal image I set up in that place. At that time I received the tribute of the Tyrians and Sidonians, and of Jehu the son of Omri." - Shalmaneser III

Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
note that Jehu acted in concert with Sidon and Tyre the home of Jezebel

Who Were the Phoenicians?

As Professor Ephraim Stern notes in the BAR article “Phoenicia and Its Special Relationship with Israel,” the Phoenicians were the nearest people to the ancient Israelites in every respect:

“They spoke the same language and wrote in the same script. Even their religion was similar, at least during the First Temple period. The Phoenicians and the Israelites built Jerusalem together, as well as several other cities, and they went on joint trading expeditions. By marriage, Phoenician royal houses and those of Israel and Judea were related.”

In fact, writes Stern, unlike all of Israel’s other neighbors, Phoenicia was never engaged in a war with Israel. It was a special relationship, indeed.

Most notably, the Phoenicians, descendants of the ancient Canaanites, left behind signs of their rich material culture, which included a distinctive form of architecture that heavily influenced that of their neighbors. Professor Stern describes this style in depth, and adds that all the peoples of Palestine and eastern Jordan imitated it until the Assyrians arrived to smash the cities and scatter the people of that region.

What’s more, the Phoenicians were active seafarers, traders, and skilled artisans who created objects of great value that were sent to cities all around the eastern Mediterranean.

The Phoenicians also thrived in their colonies around the Mediterranean—in Cyprus, Sicily, Sardinia, Malta, southern Spain, and northern Africa.
You can learn in BAR of the Bible’s reports of Phoenician culture exerting a noticeable influence on Israelite culture from the time of King David to the end of the First Temple period:
Phoenician architects and Phoenician workers helped Solomon build the Temple; Hiram, king of Tyre, supplied cedars of Lebanon and gold for the Temple (1 Kings 5:15–25 [verses 1–11 in English]).The conflict between Israelite and Phoenician religion is graphically described in the contest between the prophet Elijah and the 450 prophets of Baal on Mount Carmel (1 Kings 18). Jezebel, the Phoenician daughter of the king of the Sidonians, was married to King Ahab of Israel. Her nefarious influence in Israel is recounted in both books of Kings.
There is so much more to explore in BAR’s analysis of Phoenician culture—how Ahab, husband to Phoenician princess Jezebel, and whose Biblical reputation is quite unpleasant, was actually one of the greatest of Israel’s fighting and building kings; how the Phoenicians became the world’s most renowned sailors; even how the Phoenicians conquered the Sea Peoples at their great city of Dor.
You can even discover other textual evidence that speaks to Phoenician history, such as “The Tale of Wen-Amon,” a papyrus discovered at el-Hibeh in Egypt that dates from the first half of the 11th century B.C.E.
What’s more, there is a mountain of archaeological clues still to come, as excavations at Tel Dor in Israel continue to delve deeper through subsequent occupation of the Phoenician city.
You can read all of this fascinating material on Phoenicia, friend to Israel, because you are a subscriber to the Biblical Archaeology Society’s vast library. That’s where you’ll find BAS’s newest Special Collection, Who Were the Phoenicians? It includes all of these articles:
• Phoenicia and Its Special Relationship with Israel
By Ephraim Stern
• Achziv Cemeteries: Buried Treasure from Israel’s Phoenician Neighbor
By Eilat Mazar
• The Many Masters of Dor, Part 1: When Canaanites Became Phoenician Sailors
By Ephraim Stern
• The Many Masters of Dor, Part 2: How Bad Was Ahab?
By Ephraim Stern
• The Many Masters of Dor, Part 3: The Persistence of Phoenician Culture
By Ephraim Stern
As a member of the BAS Library, you are able to enjoy this remarkable collection of scholarly articles. And that’s worth quite a lot to students of the Bible and archaeology like you, because this collection, Who Where the Phoenicians?, is just a tiny sample of what you get in the BAS Library with an All Access pass.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Erik,

You have to walk me through this a little more, because from what I am reading the line did not change at all. I quote:

"In the fifth year of Joram the son of Ahab, king of Israel, when Jehoshaphat was king of Judah, Johoram the son of Jehoshaphat, kingdom of Judah, began to reign." - 2 Kings 8:16

Jehoshaphat ---> Johoram

"In the twelfth year of Joram the son of Ahab, the king of Israel, Ahaziah the son of Jehoram, king of Judah, began to reign." - 2 Kings 8:25

Johoram ---> Ahaziah

"But Jehosheba, the daughter of King Joram, sister of Ahaziah, took Joash the son of Ahaziah and stole him away from among the king's sons...Johoash (aka Joash) was seven years old when he began to reign." - 2 Kings 11:2, 21

Ahaziah ---> Joash

Where is the passages that suggest he was a descendant of Omri? The confusing names that the kings shared I think led you down the wrong path.

• Friendly
Reactions: Erik Nelson
Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Women in the Bible

What do you know about the Biblical Jezebel? Maybe you’ve heard the 1951 Frankie Laine song “Jezebel” or have seen Bette Davis’s 1938 Oscar-winning performance in the movie Jezebel. While the movies and music have attempted to portray Jezebel, or any comparison to her, as villainous—wicked and even lewd—what is the real story about Jezebel?
For more than two-thousand years, Jezebel has been saddled with this reputation as the bad girl of the Bible, the wickedest of women. This ancient queen has been denounced as a murderer, prostitute, and enemy of God, and—in addition to songs and movies—her name has been adopted for lingerie lines and World War II missiles, too!
But just how depraved was Jezebel?
Jezebel’s story is not a pretty one, and some—perhaps most—will be disturbed by her actions. But her character might not be as dark as we are accustomed to thinking, and Jezebel’s evilness is not always as obvious, undisputed, and unrivaled as you might think.

But any effort at rehabilitating Jezebel’s stained reputation is an arduous task, for she is a difficult woman to like. She is not a heroic fighter like Deborah, a devoted sister like Miriam, or a cherished wife like Ruth. Jezebel cannot even be compared with the Bible’s other bad girls—Potiphar’s wife and Delilah—for no good comes from Jezebel’s deeds.

Jezebel, Ahab, and Idol Worshiping in the Bible
As the Books of Kings recount, the princess Jezebel is brought to the northern kingdom of Israel to wed the newly crowned King Ahab, son of Omri. Her father is Ethbaal of Tyre, king of the Phoenicians—a group of Semites whose ancestors were Canaanites.
The Phoenicians worshiped a swarm of gods and goddesses, chief among them Baal—the general term for “lord” given to the head fertility and agricultural god of the Canaanites. As king of Phoenicia, Ethbaal was likely also a high priest or had other important religious duties. Jezebel, as the king’s daughter, may have served as a priestess as she was growing up. In any case, she was certainly raised to honor the deities of her native land.
When Jezebel enters the scene in the ninth century B.C.E., she provides a perfect opportunity for Bible writers to teach a moral lesson about the evil outcomes of idolatry, for she is a foreign idol worshiper who seems to be the power behind her husband. For some, Jezebel embodies everything that must be eliminated from Israel, so that the purity of the cult of Yahweh will not be further contaminated.
When Jezebel comes to Israel, she brings her foreign gods and goddesses—especially Baal and his consort Asherah—with her. This seems to have an immediate effect on her new husband, for just as soon as the queen is introduced, we are told that Ahab builds a sanctuary for Baal in the very heart of Israel, within his capital city of Samaria: “He took as wife Jezebel daughter of King Ethbaal of the Phoenicians, and he went and served Baal and worshiped him. He erected an altar to Baal in the temple of Baal which he built in Samaria. Ahab also made a ‘sacred post’” (1 Kings 16:31–33).
Jezebel does not accept Ahab’s God, Yahweh. Rather, she leads Ahab to accept Baal. This is one reason why she is strongly vilified. She represents a view of womanhood that is the opposite of the one extolled in characters such as Ruth the Moabite, who is also a foreigner. Ruth surrenders her identity and submerges herself in Israelite ways; she adopts the religious and social norms of the Israelites and is universally praised for her conversion to God. Jezebel steadfastly remains true to her own beliefs.

Well, despite Jezebel’s bad reputation, her marriage to King Ahab was actually a model partnership—a political alliance that provided both peoples with military protection from powerful enemies, as well as access to valuable trade routes: Israel gained access to the Phoenician ports; Phoenicia gained passage through Israel’s central hill country to Transjordan and especially to the King’s Highway, the heavily traveled inland route connecting the Gulf of Aqaba in the south with Damascus in the north.

But although the marriage was sound foreign and economic policy, it was intolerable to religious purists who objected to Jezebel’s idol worship.
Jezebel even seems driven to eliminate Israel’s faithful servants of God, evidenced by Jezebel’s cruel desire to wipe out Yahweh worship in Israel—as reported in 1 Kings 18:4, at the Bible’s second mention of her name: “Jezebel was killing off the prophets of the Lord.”
The threat and power of Jezebel is so great that the mythic prophet Elijah summons the acolytes of Jezebel to a tournament on Mt. Carmel to determine which deity is supreme: God or Baal.
There’s so much more to the Jezebel story, and it’s full of more intrigue and accounts of her untimely death—read all about it, and the stories of other Biblical women, when you get your BAS Library Explorer pass.
Discover details you never knew about all the important women in the Bible
Although the Bible is largely a product of the male-dominated societies of ancient Israel and the first-century C.E. Roman world, some of its most fascinating, evocative, and inspiring characters are women. And Jezebel is just one of them!
So, we’ve compiled a special collection of articles, Women in the Bible, about all the important women in the Bible—from Jezebel and Esther to Judith and Mary Magdalene and more—women who helped shape Biblical history and the message of the scriptures … and some of these stories will debunk popular myths and maybe even your own previously held notions.
Every new interpretation is detailed in this BAS Library Special Collection: Women in the Bible. You can read all of these eye-opening articles—with intriguing detail—and lots more from the vast library of the Biblical Archaeology Society:
• Lilith: Seductress, Heroine or Murderer?
By Janet Howe Gaines
• How Mary Magdalene Became a harlot
By Jane Schaberg
• First Lady Jezebel
By Mary Joan Winn Leith
• Forgotten Heroines of the Exodus/a>
By Tikva Frymer-Kensky
• Esther Not Judith
By Sidnie White Crawford
• Rachel and Leah
By Samuel Dresner
• Thecla: The Apostle Who Defied Women’s Destiny
By David R. Cartlidge
As a subscriber to the Biblical Archaeology Society Library, you are able to enjoy this remarkable collection of scholarly articles. And that’s worth quite a lot to students of the Bible and archaeology like you, because this collection, Women in the Bible, is just a tiny sample of what you get in the BAS Library with an All-Access pass.

Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Erik,

You have to walk me through this a little more, because from what I am reading the line did not change at all. I quote:

"In the fifth year of Joram the son of Ahab, king of Israel, when Jehoshaphat was king of Judah, Johoram the son of Jehoshaphat, kingdom of Judah, began to reign." - 2 Kings 8:16

Jehoshaphat ---> Johoram

"In the twelfth year of Joram the son of Ahab, the king of Israel, Ahaziah the son of Jehoram, king of Judah, began to reign." - 2 Kings 8:25

Johoram ---> Ahaziah

"But Jehosheba, the daughter of King Joram, sister of Ahaziah, took Joash the son of Ahaziah and stole him away from among the king's sons...Johoash (aka Joash) was seven years old when he began to reign." - 2 Kings 11:2, 21

Ahaziah ---> Joash

Where is the passages that suggest he was a descendant of Omri? The confusing names that the kings shared I think led you down the wrong path.
well the identical names make me think that there was only one Joram Jehoram, only one Ahaziah Jehoahaz, only one Jehoash

so I'm trying to find a sensible way of merging the separated accounts

consistent with archaeology

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
well the identical names make me think that there was only one Joram Jehoram, only one Ahaziah Jehoahaz, only one Jehoash

so I'm trying to find a sensible way of merging the separated accounts

consistent with archaeology

Yeah, but it appears the line is pretty tight with the passages I quoted.

You mentioned Jehoram son of Ahab marrying Athaliah...can you show me where this is?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, but it appears the line is pretty tight with the passages I quoted.

You mentioned Jehoram son of Ahab marrying Athaliah...can you show me where this is?
according to the Tel Dan Stele (TDS) Jehoram was the son of Ahab of Israel. Evidently Jehoram was the son in law of Jehoshaphat.

According to the black obelisk. Jehu was a son of Omri and according to the Bible Jehu was a son of Jehoshaphat. Evidently, he was royal on both sides of his family related both to the Omri and Jehoshaphat. Royal families

Upvote 0