Chris_G

Aug 4, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
✟563.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I know that we are saved by faith in Jesus Christ. I know that faith without good works is dead. But someone who is not saved could read this passage, and think he/she needs to start doing these works to be saved, but will miss the point that it is by faith that we are saved. Others believe that this passage refers to how the Gentiles treated the Jews during the tribulation period. So, what's the true meaning of this passage?

miss-a

Jul 12, 2009
Snowy Northeast
✟35,831.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
In and of itself, that could happen. An unsaved person could get on a works trip. But that would be only if they didn't truly want the truth, because Jesus will reveal Himself, the Truth, to anyone who truly wants it. Some people do. Others don't. I am living proof that even if you are looking in the wrong places, if you seek with your whole heart, you will find the Truth. I looked in every crazy place you could imagine, tarot cards, psychics, and all that junk. I was clueless, but my heart was desperately seeking truth. The Lord saw that I got it, got Him, and save me. Remember, He wants us all in heaven more than we want to be there, if we can ever fathom that. So He is not hiding His truth. The true seeker reading that portion of scripture will be led by the Spirit to dig further, to seek and to find.

Upvote 0

student ad x

Senior Contributor
Feb 20, 2009
just outside the forrest
✟29,077.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
MOD HAT ON

239644-albums1818-20895.jpg

Thread moved from Christian Advice

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

Zeena

..called to BE a Saint
Jul 30, 2004
✟16,853.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know that we are saved by faith in Jesus Christ. I know that faith without good works is dead. But someone who is not saved could read this passage, and think he/she needs to start doing these works to be saved, but will miss the point that it is by faith that we are saved. Others believe that this passage refers to how the Gentiles treated the Jews during the tribulation period. So, what's the true meaning of this passage?
John 3:21
But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

Reactions: squint
Upvote 0

pehkay

Aug 10, 2006
✟17,557.00
Faith
Christian
All the nations refers to all the Gentiles who remain at Christ's coming back to the earth, after He has destroyed those Gentiles who follow Antichrist at Armageddon (Rev. 16:14, 16; 19:11-15, 19-21). These remaining Gentiles will all be gathered and judged at Christ's throne of glory. This will be Christ's judgment of the living before the millennium (Acts 10:42; 2 Tim. 4:1). It differs from His judgment of the dead at the great white throne after the millennium (Rev. 20:11-15) and will be executed on the earth after His judgment of the believers at His judgment seat in the air (vv. 19-30).

Upvote 0

lighthouse_hope

Dec 31, 2009
✟8,860.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

To me this is the way that Jesus wants us to follow.

Street Children on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,856.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think one thing that is key to understanding this is the reaction of the sheep.
37 Then the righteous will answer him and say, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink?
38 When did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you?
39 When did we see you ill or in prison, and visit you?'
The truly righteous don't do things to make themselves seen by others or to make themselves righteous. They do because it is part of their spirit. They are not looking for recognition or to make themselves righteous. Righteousness makes people humble. God's Spirit changes us from within and leads us to help those without.

Upvote 0

christianmomof3

pursuing Christ
Apr 12, 2005
in Christ
✟25,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All the nations refers to all the Gentiles who remain at Christ's coming back to the earth, after He has destroyed those Gentiles who follow Antichrist at Armageddon (Rev. 16:14, 16; 19:11-15, 19-21). These remaining Gentiles will all be gathered and judged at Christ's throne of glory. This will be Christ's judgment of the living before the millennium (Acts 10:42; 2 Tim. 4:1). It differs from His judgment of the dead at the great white throne after the millennium (Rev. 20:11-15) and will be executed on the earth after His judgment of the believers at His judgment seat in the air (vv. 19-30).
I agree with this. At the end of this age, the people on earth will be in three categories: the Jews, the believers, and the Gentiles. This section of Matthew is concerning the unbelieving Gentiles at the end of the age after the Lord has returned during the great tribulation. Those people - those who are unbeliving gentiles at that time will be judged according to how they have treated others.

Upvote 0

MrPolo

Woe those who call evil good + good evil. Is 5:20
Jul 29, 2007
Visit site
✟17,196.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

Good works are an essential part of faith. This passage teaches not different.

Reactions: Zeena
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zeena

..called to BE a Saint
Jul 30, 2004
✟16,853.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good character produces good works.

Revelation 20:11-13 Then I saw a great white throne and Him who sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away. And there was found no place for them. And I saw the dead, small and great, standing before God, and books were opened. And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books. The sea gave up the dead who were in it, and Death and Hades delivered up the dead who were in them. And they were judged, each one according to his works.
AMEN!!! :clap:

God is in the Character building business! :kiss:

Ephesians 4:15
But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

BrotherDave

Sep 11, 2005
Bay Area, California
✟16,220.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

This is why we have to constantly pray for accurate understanding of scripture. It easy to quickly read something and just take it at "face value" but the bible is a spiritual book that requires prayful study.

I see 2 meanings of this passage. 1. It is stressing the importance of sharing the word so others may be saved if it is God’s will and 2. That we have to make sure we are following the true gospel like the sheep and not one out of the minds of men like the goats.

In this parable in Matthew Jesus has come as the judge and separates the saved (sheep) from the unsaved (goats). These unsaved looked like the saved, probably thought they were saved but they were not because they believed in false gospels (Matt 7:22-23, 15:8). Such as a works gospel. Spiritually this passage is all about sharing the gospel with others or loving our neighbor. To give drink is to bring the water of the gospel (Jhn 4:14), to feed the hungry with meat (meaning to eat) is to feed people with the word of God (Matt 4:4), we cloth someone as we share the bible and God saves them giving them a robe of righteousness (2 Ch 6:41, Is 61:10), people who are sick or in prison are not saved and bound to Satan (Ps 142:7,s 16:10, 1 Pe 3:19, Rev 20:7) and it is the word of God that set them free (Jhn 8:32).

The reason anyone can be saved is because of the faith of Christ Jesus (Gal 2:20, II Thess 3:3). Christ was faithful in paying for the sins of the elect. After salvation, Christ lives in all true believers and they then have the power to be as faithful as He is and truly do good works. He will give his people a new heart (Ezek 11:19, Ezek 36:27, Heb 8:10, Heb 10:16, Gal 4:6). The essence of saving faith is love, but it is the love, the faith of Christ for those the Father gave him, not everyone in the world (John 17:9). After he saves an individual, that person will know he has been saved because he starts keeping Gods commandments (I John 2:3) and loses interest in things that use to bring him pleasure or be higher priorities. He will find a love for scripture and may even lose old “friends” as his life changes for the Lord and he does the good work of sharing the gospel. This is having faith, believing and trusting in the Lord with all your heart and soul and doing all to His glory (1 Cor 10:31, 2 Corinth5:15-17).

This is why it is so important that people have an accurate understanding of salvation and understand that faith comes from hearing the word of God (Ro 10:17) and that we have to trust in the Lord to change our heart and bring salvation. Faith and good works are a result of having been saved. God does it all (Ex 3:19, Ro 9:15). To Him belongs all the glory.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

squint

Jul 23, 2007
Mountain Regions
✟20,405.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In honesty I am hard pressed to say that any person is apart from SHEEP DEEDS and that any person is apart from GOAT DEEDS.

When viewed through this [what seems to me as a present reality] we, PEOPLE, will all be separated from our GOATS...the devil and his messengers. These are the only TWO PARTIES disclosed in that scripture chain.

The NATIONS are only TWO. Sheep nations and Goat nations. One can be seen with our eyes, the other nation is UNseen, save for their LACK of WORKS IN us all.

Jesus clearly showed that the nation of GOATS is currently WITH mankind. They will be SEPARATED, even as they ARE right there in HIS WORDS...SHOWING us The Great Divider and how HE WORKS and WILL WORK.

enjoy!

squint

Upvote 0