Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe there's a distinct difference between believing in Jesus and actually following him.
Man-made religion was not his intention when he came to this earth, and the churches humans have built are not the true "Church". The real church is the body of believers that God is building. I placed this topic in the "controversial" forum, as it might cause offence to those Christians who disagree. Please take a moment to watch the attached video and the supporting scriptures. Do you think following Jesus is to follow his example from the bible? Or are we meant to be led by the Holy Spirit in every aspect of our lives? I believe it's the latter.

Feel free to share your thoughts.

John 10:25-30

Jesus Claims to Be the Son of God

25Jesus replied, “I have already told you, and you don’t believe me. The proof is the work I do in my Father’s name. 26But you don’t believe me because you are not my sheep. 27My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one can snatch them away from me, 29for my Father has given them to me, and he is more powerful than anyone else.d No one can snatch them from the Father’s hand. 30The Father and I are one.”

1 Corinthians 3:16-23

God’s Temple and God’s Wisdom

16Do you not know that you yourselves are God’s temple, and that God’s Spirit dwells inb you? 17If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy him; for God’s temple is holy, and you are that temple.

18Let no one deceive himself. If any of you thinks he is wise in this age, he should become a fool, so that he may become wise. 19For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God’s sight. As it is written: “He catches the wise in their craftiness.”c 20And again, “The Lord knows that the thoughts of the wise are futile.”d

21Therefore, stop boasting in men. All things are yours, 22whether Paul or Apollos or Cephase or the world or life or death or the present or the future. All of them belong to you, 23and you belong to Christ, and Christ belongs to God.

1 Corinthians 3:10-15

Christ Our Foundation

10By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as an expert builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one must be careful how he builds. 11For no one can lay a foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ.

12If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, or straw, 13his workmanship will be evident, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will prove the quality of each man’s work. 14If what he has built survives, he will receive a reward. 15If it is burned up, he will suffer loss. He himself will be saved, but only as if through the flames.

Ephesians 2:19-22

Christ Our Cornerstone

19Therefore you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of God’s household, 20built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus Himself as the cornerstone. 21In Him the whole building is fitted together and grows into a holy temple in the Lord. 22And in Him you too are being built together into a dwelling place for God in His Spirit.

1 Peter 2:4-5

Living Stones for God’s House

4You are coming to Christ, who is the living cornerstone of God’s temple. He was rejected by people, but he was chosen by God for great honor.

5And you are living stones that God is building into his spiritual temple. What’s more, you are his holy priests.a Through the mediation of Jesus Christ, you offer spiritual sacrifices that please God.

Revelation 21:18-20

The New Jerusalem

18The wall was made of jasper, and the city was pure gold, as clear as glass. 19The wall of the city was built on foundation stones inlaid with twelve precious stones:e the first was jasper, the second sapphire, the third agate, the fourth emerald, 20the fifth onyx, the sixth carnelian, the seventh chrysolite, the eighth beryl, the ninth topaz, the tenth chrysoprase, the eleventh jacinth, the twelfth amethyst.

David's Harp
David's Harp
That's a great short video. I had no idea of the properties of the stones in the New Jerusalem. And to think that man has only just discovered this. Praise God! :D
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟479,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I believe there's a distinct difference between believing in Jesus and actually following him.
Man-made religion was not his intention when he came to this earth, and the churches humans have built are not the true "Church". The real church is the body of believers that God is building. I placed this topic in the "controversial" forum, as it might cause offence to those Christians who disagree. Please take a moment to watch the attached video and the supporting scriptures. Do you think following Jesus is to follow his example from the bible? Or are we meant to be led by the Holy Spirit in every aspect of our lives? I believe it's the latter.

Feel free to share your thoughts.

John 10:25-30

Jesus Claims to Be the Son of God

25Jesus replied, “I have already told you, and you don’t believe me. The proof is the work I do in my Father’s name. 26But you don’t believe me because you are not my sheep. 27My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one can snatch them away from me, 29for my Father has given them to me, and he is more powerful than anyone else.d No one can snatch them from the Father’s hand. 30The Father and I are one.”

1 Corinthians 3:16-23

God’s Temple and God’s Wisdom

16Do you not know that you yourselves are God’s temple, and that God’s Spirit dwells inb you? 17If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy him; for God’s temple is holy, and you are that temple.

18Let no one deceive himself. If any of you thinks he is wise in this age, he should become a fool, so that he may become wise. 19For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God’s sight. As it is written: “He catches the wise in their craftiness.”c 20And again, “The Lord knows that the thoughts of the wise are futile.”d

21Therefore, stop boasting in men. All things are yours, 22whether Paul or Apollos or Cephase or the world or life or death or the present or the future. All of them belong to you, 23and you belong to Christ, and Christ belongs to God.

1 Corinthians 3:10-15

Christ Our Foundation

10By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as an expert builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one must be careful how he builds. 11For no one can lay a foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ.

12If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, or straw, 13his workmanship will be evident, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will prove the quality of each man’s work. 14If what he has built survives, he will receive a reward. 15If it is burned up, he will suffer loss. He himself will be saved, but only as if through the flames.

Ephesians 2:19-22

Christ Our Cornerstone

19Therefore you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of God’s household, 20built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus Himself as the cornerstone. 21In Him the whole building is fitted together and grows into a holy temple in the Lord. 22And in Him you too are being built together into a dwelling place for God in His Spirit.

1 Peter 2:4-5

Living Stones for God’s House

4You are coming to Christ, who is the living cornerstone of God’s temple. He was rejected by people, but he was chosen by God for great honor.

5And you are living stones that God is building into his spiritual temple. What’s more, you are his holy priests.a Through the mediation of Jesus Christ, you offer spiritual sacrifices that please God.

Revelation 21:18-20

The New Jerusalem

18The wall was made of jasper, and the city was pure gold, as clear as glass. 19The wall of the city was built on foundation stones inlaid with twelve precious stones:e the first was jasper, the second sapphire, the third agate, the fourth emerald, 20the fifth onyx, the sixth carnelian, the seventh chrysolite, the eighth beryl, the ninth topaz, the tenth chrysoprase, the eleventh jacinth, the twelfth amethyst.
The scriptures is how God speaks to us, through His Word. The Spirit is not in conflict with the Word. This scripture gives us safeguards so we know we are following God’s Spirit. Everything must be tested by scripture and the only way we know we are following God’s Spirit and not the “other spirit” who deceives the whole world.

Isaiah 8:20 To the law and to the testimony! If they do not speak according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

God’s Word is a lamp to our feet Psalm 119:105 and is a shield to us Proverbs 30:5-6 so we won’t be deceived if following. God’s Spirit is given for those who obey God’s Word. John 14:15-18, Acts 5:32

According to the scriptures God’s church is a remnant , meaning it is a small remainder of the original and they are commandment keeping people Revelation 12:17, Revelation 14:12, Revelation 22:14 the way God wrote them by His own finger Exodus 32:16, Exodus 31:18 and not what was rewritten by man to suit man that scripture warned us about. Daniel 7:25

We are so blessed to have God’s Word so we know we are following the One True God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The scriptures is how God speaks to us.
Of course, but he speaks in various other ways as well. Don't put God in a box.

Any other thoughts on my post or was it just to declare the book is Gods voice?

• Agree
Reactions: Lost Witness
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟479,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Of course, but he speaks in various other ways as well. Don't put God in a box.

Any other thoughts on my post or was it just to declare the book is Gods voice?
I never said to put God in a box, but If we are to believe in God we should believe in His Word, the scriptures. God’s Word and His Spirit work in harmony and not against. Isaiah 8:20 makes this very clear, but not everyone accepts the warnings we have in scripture.

How many people say they were guided by the spirit when killing another human-being. Is that something taught in scripture? God’s Word is our only safeguard to following God. When asked of Jesus about His Second Coming in scripture- His first answer is do not be deceived. Matthew 24:4 Why? Because there is another spirit that is guiding millions if not billions of people away from God’s Word claiming you don’t need God’s Word to be saved, we are told to put on the amour of God to fight this other spirit who wants nothing more than to deceive us. The other spirit is not going to seem evil, which is why his power is so deceitful. Scripture says God’s Word is our guide, so I believe that. Psalms 119:105

Last edited:
Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If we believe in God we should believe in His Word, the scriptures, we need to believe what it says. God’s Word and His Spirit work in harmony and not against. Isaiah 8:20 makes this very clear, but not everyone accepts the warnings we have in scripture.

OK so your view is to be led by the Holy spirit in every aspect of life then? I'm trying to work out if you agree or disagree with my OP.

Upvote 0

Lost Witness

Ezekiel 3:3 ("Change")
Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
OK so your view is to be led by the Holy spirit in every aspect of life then? I'm trying to work out if you agree or disagree with my OP.
ah being on fire all the time for the LORD,
haven't been that way in 7yrs :(

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟479,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The Holy Spirit works in harmony with God’s Word and if someone is leading you away from God’s Word as the scripture tells us, there is no light in them, meaning they are not from God. Isaiah 8:20. There are only two spirits- God’s Holy Spirit and the “other spirit”. Scripture says the dragon (the other spirit) goes to war with God’s commandment keeping people. Revelation 12:17 we all choose which side of the war we are on. Scripture says that many will think they are following God, but are not and leading people away from God’s Word, which is how we know the difference. 2 Timothy 3:5-7. The Spirit leads by God’s Truth John 14:15-18 and those who say they know God but don’t follow His Word, there is no truth in them. 1 John 2:3-6

Upvote 0

Confused-by-christianity

May 6, 2020
No location
✟116,531.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
... we should believe in His Word, the scriptures...
I've often struggled with this.

I have reverence for the scriptures, but cold never bring myself to make certain assumptions about them - that I thought others did make.

For example, Paul says [fill in the blank], I don't automatically assume that God said that through Paul.

I can think that the bible is inspired by god, without thinking it's completely correct about everything.

I think error creeps in, and we should take that into account too.

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Holy Spirit works in harmony with God’s Word and if someone is leading you away from God’s Word as the scripture tells us, there is no light in them, meaning they are not from God. Isaiah 8:20. There are only two spirits- God’s Holy Spirit and the “other spirit”. Scripture says the dragon (the other spirit) goes to war with God’s commandment keeping people. Revelation 12:17 we all choose which side of the war we are on. Scripture says that many will think they are following God, but are not and leading people away from God’s Word, which is how we know the difference. 2 Timothy 3:5-7. The Spirit leads by God’s Truth John 14:15-18 and those who say they know God but don’t follow His Word, there is no truth in them. 1 John 2:3-6

OK so you're insinuating I'm leading people away from Gods truth by stating Gods building the true church (which is the body of believers) and its not made by human hands? The scripture says it clearly.

Upvote 0

Lost Witness

Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The LORD speaks to people, not just in scriptures and in the same way he has always done even before the NT was written,
His Holy Spirit, Communicates all he hears to those who have ears to listen
First we must accept that by saying "scripture" is how GOD communicates we're placing him in a 'box"
Scripture is the LORDS will and helps us to seek his face and hear his voice
when Scripture says very clearly Hebrews 3:15

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I have reverence for the scriptures, but cold never bring myself to make certain assumptions about them - that I thought others did make.

For example, Paul says [fill in the blank], I don't automatically assume that God said that through Paul.

I can think that the bible is inspired by god, without thinking it's completely correct about everything.

I agree, but I don't think the error is God's, it's human interpretation that has brainwashed masses over the centuries.

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The LORD speaks to people, not just in scriptures and in the same way he has always done even before the NT was written,
First we must accept that by saying "scripture" is how GOD communicates we're placing him in a 'box"

Scripture is foundational truth, God uses it as a tool to communicate, Yes, but he also speaks, gives dreams, visions and signs as well. It depends on the person. He's also silent sometimes in testing our faith.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟479,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Hi and thanks for the message I appreciate that.

All of the scripture is God's Word. 2 Timothy 3:16-17

Paul is the most misquoted and misunderstood in all of scripture which is the reason God's gave us a warning about his writings that many twist to their own destruction even during his time and especially now. 2 Peter 3:16

The best way to understand some on these areas that seem like they are in direct conflict with each other (they are not, just misunderstood) is to find absolutes in scripture and work backwards.

For example many people and sadly churches teach we do not need to obey the law, that Jesus fulfilled the law meaning He abolished the law so we are free to break God's law. Just common sense alone should be enough to know does Jesus want us to worship other gods, bow to false images, vain His holy name, covet, steal or murder or break any of God's commandments. Is this the teachings of Jesus? Of course not. What did Jesus say on the matter about His Second Coming...

Matthew 7:21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

If we believe Jesus this should be the final word on do we need to do God's will, do we need to follow God's law. Jesus is very clear and easy to understand scriptures is telling us we do. This scripture also reminds us that there are many who believe in Jesus saying "Lord Lord" thinking they were doing things in the name of Jesus, but they followed their own rules and not the will of God. Jesus warned us about this very thing in Matthew 15:3-9.

Here's another verse right before the Second Coming of Jesus.

Revelation 22:14 14 Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city.

God's people obviously keep God's laws and can enter into God's Kingdom. Isn't this the end result? So obviously the people teaching we do not need to keep God's law does not work in harmony with the "end result" so somewhere along the lines people choose to misread a scripture and stick with it because it fits a certain lifestyle, but it's not what Jesus said at His Second Coming which is the final word.

Does this make sense? It's just one example, but there are major principles in the scriptures and if you work backwards, the scriptures that are hard to understand will make more sense. When we pray to be guided by the Spirit He will teach us all Truth John 16:13 and God's Word is Truth. Psalms 119:142

There is a lot of "noise" out there and this all comes from the other spirit. The way is through Jesus Christ and His Word.

God bless

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lost Witness

Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Scripture is foundational truth, God uses it as a tool to communicate, Yes, but he also speaks, gives dreams, visions and signs as well. It depends on the person. He's also silent sometimes in testing our faith.
without exposure to scripture do you think you'd be able to hear the LORD?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟479,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The question is not does the Holy Spirit speak to people, of course He does, will the Holy Spirit ever guide you away from God's Word- never. Isaiah 8:20 so He speaks to us through God's Word. God's Word is how everything must be tested if one wants to follow the Word of God. If the spirit is in conflict with God's word that spirit is not from God. John 14:15-18, Acts 5:32 We are called to worship Him in Truth and Spirit John 4:23-24 those who do not keep God's Word- there is no Truth. 1 John 2:3-6

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lost Witness

Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The question is not does the Holy Spirit speak to people, of course He does, will the Holy Spirit ever guide you away from God's Word- never. Isaiah 8:20 God's Word is how everything must be tested if one wants to follow the Word of God.
Sure if it's not contradictory to scripture, Absolutely.

Upvote 0

Confused-by-christianity

May 6, 2020
No location
✟116,531.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I agree, but I don't think the error is God's, it's human interpretation that has brainwashed masses over the centuries.

Yeah - I think us making error is inevitable and all accounted for by God. So i dont think he is angry. I think he wants us to honestly try to do his will, and thats enough.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟479,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
OK so you're insinuating I'm leading people away from Gods truth by stating Gods building the true church (which is the body of believers) and its not made by human hands? The scripture says it clearly.
Those are your words, the scripture tells us what characteristics God's people Revelation have 12:17, Revelation 14:12, Revelation 22:14 if someone is teaching something different than this it is not lead by God. I believe in God's Word which is what everything must be tested by.

Upvote 0