Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
What's interesting the mix of bikers, professional people, and families that go there. Just a cool spot.

A lot of places don't like someone wandering with a camera, but the manager seemed genuinely proud of it. He told me to be sure to go upstairs and see the museum:
49176481911_ec219b8356_b.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's called "high dynamic range" processing. The object is to get the exposure to the range of light in the photo to the medium. The problem is, if you over do it, it looks like a painting, or cartoonish. Some people can get really good results by overdoing it, but I prefer something that looks more like the image I experienced when I was there.

I usually do an HDR, and then blend it with the original image, to get it more like the image you'd actually see.

The reason for this, is the dynamic range of your eye is much greater than any sensor currently available.

You might notice that the black and white looks somewhat like the "zone system" images pioneered by Ansel Adams. That's intentional. HDR does for digital something like zone system processing does for black and white.

And as you probably guessed, it's most useful for scenes where the light levels vary a lot.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's called "high dynamic range" processing. The object is to get the exposure to the range of light in the photo to the medium. The problem is, if you over do it, it looks like a painting, or cartoonish. Some people can get really good results by overdoing it, but I prefer something that looks more like the image I experienced when I was there.

I usually do an HDR, and then blend it with the original image, to get it more like the image you'd actually see.

The reason for this, is the dynamic range of your eye is much greater than any sensor currently available.

You might notice that the black and white looks somewhat like the "zone system" images pioneered by Ansel Adams. That's intentional. HDR does for digital something like zone system processing does for black and white.
Thanks for the info. It's really cool and interesting. Huge like from me.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Even if you're just a casual smart phone photographer, this method can work for you. Here's a very simplified (and free) software that automates most of the process for you (or you can use the options for more control):
https://autohdr.en.lo4d.com/windows

And you don't have to use multiple exposures as you would with a "real HDR" process. You'll get good results with just one image.

• Informative
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Even if you're just a casual smart phone photographer, this method can work for you. Here's a very simplified (and free) software that automates most of the process for you (or you can use the options for more control):
https://autohdr.en.lo4d.com/windows

And you don't have to use multiple exposures as you would with a "real HDR" process. You'll get good results with just one image.

Do you do bracket exposures with these then?

I have tried some of the manual hdr, but they really benefit from a camera with good low lighting performance and a good tripod.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes, typically, I use three exposures, two stops either way. And while a tripod isn't strictly necessary, it's a very good idea.

What helps a lot, is a camera that will take raw images. These retain much more data than jpegs, and will result in better HDR images. In some cases, it's possible to take one raw image, and use a program like Raw Therapee to make three different exposures at three different ISOs, and then combine them to make an HDR. Some consider that to be "cheating", but if there's no visible difference, I really don't care.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, typically, I use three exposures, two stops either way. And while a tripod isn't strictly necessary, it's a very good idea.

What helps a lot, is a camera that will take raw images. These retain much more data than jpegs, and will result in better HDR images. In some cases, it's possible to take one raw image, and use a program like Raw Therapee to make three different exposures at three different ISOs, and then combine them to make an HDR. Some consider that to be "cheating", but if there's no visible difference, I really don't care.

I downloaded alternative software for my camera to allow for raw saving, thought it did not originally ship with it. I tried raw therapee some time ago, but as with lightroom, etc. there is a learning curve to get it right. Might try again though, as that would give you more options.

The alternative software also allows for automatic bracket captures as well, but it does require more care for focus. And as you said, if you can get it from one, that is easier, and takes less camera space.

Upvote 0