twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Far too many have been taught to do word studies and to base their theology on them. That is sad because word studies are useful in finding out how a certain word is used in the Scriptures but are very harmful in determining true doctrine. Words and the verses that they occur in are most often taken out of their context and the teaching of the Scriptures as a whole on the subject ignored.

No doctrine ought to be built on individual verses of the Scriptures as though they, taken out of their context to mean whatever you want them to, are the final authority. The Scriptures as a whole are to be consulted and the teaching taken from all of the Scriptures not just a verse or even several that has the word you want in them.

• Agree
Reactions: JM and MWood

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Pretty much....

Also when looking up the definitions of words (which is good to do - especially in the original tongue ) the definition almost always has a range of meaning, often with both a positive and a negative potential context.

So ironically, the deeper one studies, the deeper the mystery can become....but this would seem to intrigue the hungriest among us, while perhaps discourage those who are already full.

----------------------------------

And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know. <---> 1st Corinthians 8:2

wm

• Agree
Reactions: MWood
Upvote 0

ScottA

Author: Walking Like Einstein
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Far too many have been taught to do word studies and to base their theology on them. That is sad because word studies are useful in finding out how a certain word is used in the Scriptures but are very harmful in determining true doctrine. Words and the verses that they occur in are most often taken out of their context and the teaching of the Scriptures as a whole on the subject ignored.

No doctrine ought to be built on individual verses of the Scriptures as though they, taken out of their context to mean whatever you want them to, are the final authority. The Scriptures as a whole are to be consulted and the teaching taken from all of the Scriptures not just a verse or even several that has the word you want in them.
While I agree, I would add that word studies can be helpful to understand the full meaning of something that is otherwise nearly lost in translation. In fact, assumptions have been made during translations, regularly....which mostly does not concern me because God is in control of His word (not the translators). But seeking the Lord where He can be found is not wrong...and yet taking things out of context definitely is. I agree.

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
If I may jump from Stillicidia's statement, "Scripture speaks simply, except for those who pretend it's something else."

Word studies are excellent for learning what certain words mean in specific circumstances. I suppose it can lead to taking some statements out of context, but that's been done without word studies. Removal from context is a problem of ignorance and evil intent, not too much understanding.

If I may, 1st Timothy 6:20 (in the KJV) is a perfect example of a misunderstanding cleared up by word study. In the KJV, the word 'science' is used; this has been proclaimed as the Bible condemning all forms of scientific inquiry. However, the word translated 'science' in the KJV is in fact means 'knowledge' with specific reference to the Gnostic teachings.

The God who created the Universe is not the God of Stupid.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Maybe that is why I an "A+" in Systematic Theology.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just because you're doing a word study doesn't mean you're taking anything out of context. Indeed, as part of your study you're looking how the word is used elsewhere in the same book, by the same author, in the same Testament, and throughout the Bible. No good Bible student would look at a word in isolation of its context.

Context is king.

Upvote 0