Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That is something I agree but you can't contract out things like befriending the widow - that has to be done out of love. I wouldn't want someone befriending me if I knew they were being paid by the hour!
I wouldn't mind, they show up regularly, we become friends, what does paying them have to do with it? I would get to see them more regularly than most friends.

That's pretty picky for someone in need.

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟125,805.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is something I agree but you can't contract out things like befriending the widow/widower - that has to be done out of love. I wouldn't want someone befriending me if I knew they were being paid by the hour!
Read Matthew 25...the sheep don't know the deeds they have done. They just do them. We cannot exhort works, they will be produced through the gospel naturally when accepted. A pang of compassion will cause one to feed a hungry child better than a pang of guilt. And that comes when hearts of stone are replaced with hearts of flesh, through the declaration that Christ has conquered death. It is only through putting the flesh to death in the gospel that we can live the life of Christ.

Upvote 0

Hmm

Hey, I'm just this guy, you know
Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,359.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I wouldn't mind, they show up regularly, we become friends, what does paying them have to do with it? I would get to see them more regularly than most friends.

That's pretty picky for someone in need.

But a real friend isn't going to call you up one day and say they've reduced their hours and can't see you again! I'd rather try to make friends with an onion, with a long-term view to marriage, if I was in that situation.

• Haha
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟273,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But a real friend isn't going to call you up one day and say they've reduced their hours and can't see you again! I'd rather try to make friends with an onion, with a long-term view to marriage, if I was in that situation.
If we've become friends, pay won't be a factor anymore if they're Christian.

• Agree
Reactions: Hmm
Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟125,805.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is something I agree but you can't contract out things like befriending the widow/widower - that has to be done out of love. I wouldn't want someone befriending me if I knew they were being paid by the hour!
Certainly wouldn't want a friend with a hireling mentality.

But the question is whether they are being paid to be your friend, or if they are being compensated in order to dedicate the time as a caregiver. For example, I don't think the fact that nurses are paid compromises their ability to have affection for patients.

• Agree
Reactions: Hmm
Upvote 0

Hmm

Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,359.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

But the question is whether they are being paid to be your friend, or if they are being compensated in order to dedicate the time as a caregiver. For example, I don't think the fact that nurses are paid compromises their ability to have affection for patients.

No, that's true. I was thinking specifically of a befriending voluntary service I was involved in once, not health care provision. I agree, nurses do a fantastic job and often build up genuine relationships with their patients.

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟125,805.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, that's true. I was thinking specifically of a befriending voluntary service I was involved in once, not health care provision. I agree, nurses do a fantastic job and often build up genuine relationships with their patients.
I'm not sure the befriending service you were involved in, but I wouldn't have a problem with someone being compensated to spend time with me unless it was their sole motivation. It's actually not a bad idea to pay people so that they would be able to set aside time to visit with what are often called "shut ins." Most likely it would still be a sacrifice, as the compensation would likely be more meager than other jobs available.

Upvote 0

Hmm

Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,359.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm not sure the befriending service you were involved in, but I wouldn't have a problem with someone being compensated to spend time with me unless it was their sole motivation. It's actually not a bad idea to pay people so that they would be able to set aside time to visit with what are often called "shut ins." Most likely it would still be a sacrifice, as the compensation would likely be more meager than other jobs available.

Yes, it's a difficult one. The voluntary organisation I worked as a volunteer for did a good job but I'm sure it only touched the tip of the iceberg. There are a lot of lonely people like single mums and the housebound elderly in the community but they're invisible. It's such a big problem. I think this is something churches could perhaps be more active in.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟125,805.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, it's a difficult one. The voluntary organisation I worked as a volunteer for did a good job but I'm sure it only touched the tip of the iceberg. There are a lot of lonely people like single mums and the housebound elderly in the community but they're invisible. It's such a big problem. I think this is something churches could perhaps be more active in.
I'm reminded of something my pastor says anytime someone suggests something...that's a good idea, how do you intend to make it happen?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟273,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Or perhaps the problem is the lonely people did not go, nor belong, to a church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good without God = self worship, a profound belief in self and society, this is why the liberals and young are so full of hysteria and despair, they put all their faith in things which do not and can not deliver, instead of trusting in God, and can not distinguish the difference between religion and God the creator.
It is a modern contagion brought about by an increasing comfort zone of false security.
So the church is not guilty of driving them away?

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟203,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

People don't go into nursing or any job in the medical field because of the benefits, I can guarantee that.
I used to work with a former Corpsman who became a nurse in a Naval Hospital, who lamenting his stressful job always commented "I should have gone into real estate" (this was before the crash in 2007/2008, when the housing market was in a bubble, funny enough)...
you go into that job out of a desire to help people an an interest in medicine.. and it's the only way you can keep wanting to do that job.. if you went through school and got to clinicals and were just thinking the pay? You'd be wanting out of that program before clinicals were done. The money never seems like its worth it.
What keeps you going?
Compassion.

Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Personally, I'm inclined to think that harshness and uncalled for rhetoric isn't justified by zeal for God alone. It's takes a bit more than that.

At any rate, let's not talk past one another here. My initial point earlier was to draw attention to those things that we Christians do that are "less than Christian" in the way we treat people. While I fully understand that when we're doing what we're supposed to be doing in representing the Gospel and that this can and will be often disdained by those who prefer the world over Jesus, at the same time we want to avoid resorting to heinous speech or actions that cause people to get the wrong ideas about Christ and His Church. It does happen, and when it does, we have to be accountable and maybe even face the consequences.

So, that's all I'm referring to. Otherwise, we're in basic agreement it sounds like.
Some "church people" on the forum are hoping to push me out of the church. I wonder if they will be welcoming me back after they succeed? Doubtful.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

2PhiloVoid

Yes, you're right! I'm not Gandalf!
Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,125,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Some "church people" on the forum are hoping to push me out of the church. I wonder if they will be welcoming me back after they succeed? Doubtful.

Probably not. And if they do, it'll just be to take another helping of the same stuff.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Probably not. And if they do, it'll just be to take another helping of the same stuff.
Right, conditional groupthink in the echo chamber. (repackaged as "unity" in "fellowship") "Keep your mouth shut if you want to stay here." Questions = unbelief

Reactions: Vap841
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,125,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Right, conditional groupthink in the echo chamber. (repackaged as "unity" in "fellowship") "Keep your mouth shut if you want to stay here." Questions = unbelief

Lol! ... yeah, some of them do that. But, then again, Steven. Keep in mind that we don't know who these individuals are, what their age is, or what their developmental backgrounds are. Not all of them may be like you who is already seasoned in life and an already established professional. Maybe their lives really suck and employing the Bible for some good Bible-thumping is all they have in life ...

... one never knows on a forum. :dontcare:

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lol! ... yeah, some of them do that. But, then again, Steven. Keep in mind that we don't know who these individuals are, what their age is, or what their developmental backgrounds are. Not all of them may be like you who is already seasoned in life and an already established professional. Maybe their lives really suck and employing the Bible for some good Bible-thumping is all they have in life ...

... one never knows on a forum. :dontcare:
Right. Who am I to deprive them of the joy of abusing me to elevate themselves? Could I really be so self-centered? (hopefully) Actually, I thought it was self-preservation. Not much room for that in the church.

I shouldn't be so hard on the church. Most church folks are fine individuals. But like any barrel, there can always be a few bad apples. Not the best comparative, I know. - lol

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,125,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Right. Who am I to deprive them of the joy of abusing me to elevate themselves? Could I really be so self-centered? (hopefully) Actually, I thought it was self-preservation. Not much room for that in the church.

I shouldn't be so hard on the church. Most church folks are fine individuals. But like any barrel, there can always be a few bad apples. Not the best comparative, I know. - lol

I've always thought of this forum as a place to compare notes with other Christians. I guess some folks who come here, though, along with some that we find in just about every church, show up because they feel deprived of power and seek to dominate others and "lead the way." Of course, they'll bump heads with me since I've always thought of the 'Church' as a team effort in the Spirit.

Upvote 0