Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think that Mark 8:24 is connected. It was a blind man who was regaining sight. I think it was a description of the blurriness in his returning vision.

As for the others, I can kind of see what you are driving at, but I have a question. If the trees were living beings, how could Adam and Eve have eaten of them? I think that the references to trees are simply metaphors, just as in Psalm 1:3 the Bible compares a righteous man with a tree planted by streams of water.

Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

jhwatts

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2014
Ohio
✟140,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think that Mark 8:24 is connected. It was a blind man who was regaining sight. I think it was a description of the blurriness in his returning vision.

As for the others, I can kind of see what you are driving at, but I have a question. If the trees were living beings, how could Adam and Eve have eaten of them? I think that the references to trees are simply metaphors, just as in Psalm 1:3 the Bible compares a righteous man with a tree planted by streams of water.

Interesting. Metaphors for what though.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm curious but others opinions about the trees in Eden not being literal trees but physical beings.

Genesis 2, Ezekiel 31, Isaiah 14

Also consider Mark 8:24

Any thoughts.

I have never considered that particular interpretation but you are absolutely correct in that the story is symbolic rather than literal. Stories like this are open to multiple interpretations.

Upvote 0

Bumble Bee

Disciplemaker
Nov 2, 2007
Held together by Jesus and coffee
✟698,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Interesting. Metaphors for what though.

Metaphors for their strength and effect on the society of the day, such as how trees have an effect on the wildlife, perhaps?

• Haha
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't know, I am convinced that these were literal trees. (I mean you can actually eat it)

If we find something spoken of in Ezekiel (and Revelation), for an example, in the language of Genesis 3 and 4, I am convinced that they are depictions of the kingdom of heaven using Eden-like metaphor and language for the very nature of that habitation. It is a sort of reflection of the paradise that once resided on earth.

I have seen the tree of life as the sign of the Adamic covenant (or covenant of works), that was set before the eyes of Adam to signify the outcome of his reward for obedience. Or something like that...

Reactions: Bumble Bee
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm curious but others opinions about the trees in Eden not being literal trees but physical beings.

Genesis 2, Ezekiel 31, Isaiah 14

Also consider Mark 8:24

Any thoughts.

We are not in the garden where God walked alongside Adam, trees of life and Knowledge grew, serpents talked, and abundant food grew on trees the day they were made, in soil that was one day old. Man was removed from the Garden Paradise.

So it's not that the trees were not literal, it's that the entire place was not this earth. I'm not saying it was all a dream or that it is all an analogy for something else. I'm saying that Paradise is an entirely different catagory of place.

After Jesus resurrection He was seen by many people, He moved place to place instantly, He was invisible at times, He had holes in His hands that didn't bleed, and He eventually floated up into the clouds. More of a "Surreal" existence, I guess.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I’m not convinced that it was not on earth. Otherwise, why would God have set the angel to guard the entrance?

I've said "If you find the flaming swords and the entrance, you have a case. But without the flaming swords, then we must assume the Garden Paradise is not on earth."

Objectors say that Noah's flood wiped it out, which is a reasonable dodge, except I think God still walked there, and those two trees sound important enough not to wash away. So I conclude the Garden where God walked and the serpent talked, and the tree of life grows, is not this earth. More of a Surreal place.

Upvote 0