• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured The Tower of Babel

Discussion in 'Controversial Christian Theology' started by Zetetica, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Zetetica

Zetetica Active Member

+220
    Canada
    Christian
    Single
    If we trust The Book if Jasher, it’s written that the labourers who built the Tower of Babel mourned if a brick fell from the tower, yet cared not if a man fell.

This is because it took a full year to reach the top of the in-process tower from the base. How tall would such a structure need to be for such to be possible?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. “Paisios”

“Paisios” Sinner Supporter

+3,378
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    To paraphrase Douglas Adams “You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it would have to be”.
    I’ll leave the math to someone smarter than me. But I’ve climbed and come down 4000 ft mountains in a day, so if we were to assume one person (brick laden) were to do 4000 ft a day for 313 days (assuming one days off a week), to allow for some rest and food, that would come to ~1250000 feet...but of course, it likely would have been numerous workers in shifts, not likely going straight up but around a built up path, so who knows?

3. Freodin

Freodin Devout believer in a theologically different God

+2,397
    Atheist
    Not that tall at all.

You just would have some really lazy workers.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Lazarus Short

Lazarus Short Well-Known Member

+641
    Non-Denom
    Married
    The Jasher account may have exaggerated at bit...or maybe most of that year was spent in each brick getting certified by the government. Paperwork, paperwork...

5. Halbhh

Halbhh The wonder and awe of His Creation! Supporter

+3,524
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    heh, depends on how slow they go, eh? Seems poetic. But, just for the math fun, it's not hard to imagine a factor of 5 or even 10 difference in rate of ascent depending on what's being carried, or even a larger factor if they had places they had to stop to rest and/or allow other parties to bypass them on a regular basis. Even with a factor of 20 slower than just ordinary climbing with a backpack you still are talking rather tall, what an athletic person could climb in like (365-52(sabbath))/20 * 4000 ft/ (number from post #2) is ~ 60,000 ft, which is well above breathable atmosphere. Everest is ~ 30,000 ft, which some acclimated Sherpas can climb without oxygen. But the engineering for strong brick material says it can stack about 200ft unless having something like steel structure to help it, that is a wall instead of a more wide base tapering design. But if one instead uses stone (say just some bricks only higher up for some rooms higher up, but stone on the lower section), and tapering, then this was interesting (though only to illustrate non metal structures, but how do we know they could not have had metal to help reinforce, etc.):

Begun in 1848, the Washington Monument (Washington, DC, USA) received its capstone in 1884 at the height of169m (555 ft). A free-standing obelisk made of limestone, granite, and gneiss, the monument was surpassed as the tallest structure just 5 years later by the Eiffel Tower (301m / 986 ft.), but that was easy to do, since it was made entirely of metal. So, the Washington Monument remained as the tallest stone or masonry structure ever made. Recently, however, there have been some contenders for that title, including by some structures you have never heard of.

The San Jacinto Monument in Texas was completed in 1939 to commemorate the Battle of San Jacinto in 1836. It claims to be the tallest monumental column in the world, topping out at 173m (567 ft), including the two terraces on the which the column sits. However, the structure is constructed with reinforced concrete, which means it has lots of metal behind that concrete facade.
    NEW UNDER SOL: World's Tallest Non-Metal Structures; You've Never Heard of Them

We happend to have visited the San Jacinto monument by chance in person, traveling to see my father near Baytown, TX quite a few years back. Also, while it's interesting to imagine, what's more key than the height is the attitude (mankind making themselves a shrine to their own accomplishment).

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Residential Bob

Residential Bob Active Member

+267
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Maybe they were encountering some language barriers.

7. Halbhh

Halbhh The wonder and awe of His Creation! Supporter

+3,524
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    :) ah, yes, the real meaning of the story -- to slow us down (I think not only from arrogance, but also from self-destruction), our languages were multiplied. Even today, I'm lucky if I can really understand well even just another American from a truly different region like New Englander, or a more rural Appalachia, or even the ways some natives talk in places like New Orleans.

8. Nithavela

Nithavela Buy more eggs

+9,134
    Germany
    Other Religion
    Single
    In short, impossibly tall. Its just a story.

9. Tinker Grey

Tinker Grey Wanderer Supporter

+1,355
    Atheist
  10. Der Alter

Der Alter This is me about 1 yr. old. Supporter

+2,190
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    I\
    I must disagree with you here. It would be "parchment work, parchment work." ;)

11. Strathos

Strathos No one important

+2,517
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
    I thought the book of Jasher was lost.

12. Tinker Grey

+1,355
    Atheist
    Kind-a the point of my link. A fake one was written in the 1700s.

13. Zetetica

Zetetica Active Member

+220
    Canada
    Christian
    Single
    Why do you consider The Tower of Babel to be “just a story”?

14. Dave-W

Dave-W Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner! Supporter

+13,255
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    We don’t. At all.

15. A Realist

A Realist Living in Reality

+321
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Yep, and if that's the one the OP if referring to, then this whole thread is useless. It's like us debating how tall the two towers were in Lord of the Rings.

And if it's referring to the one mentioned in the bible, this book is an unknown book and no one knows its contents.

16. Zetetica

Zetetica Active Member

+220
    Canada
    Christian
    Single
    I don’t consider it an authority but then, why do you think I posted it here, rather than in a Christian only section?

17. Tinker Grey

+1,355
    Atheist
    Yeah. I found a PDF of the book referenced in the Wiki. If you search for Babel you will find the source of the comments on a brick falling, etc.

18. John Bowen

John Bowen Active Member Supporter

+215
    Fiji
    Christian
    Single
    Good post we should all be reminded of the lesson of the tower of Babel .How the towers of mens power will collapse under their own weight if not in accordance with God .

19. Freodin

Freodin Devout believer in a theologically different God

+2,397
    Atheist
    You should really read the original ToB story in Genesis again. The moral of the story is rather different.

Not that this ever kept Christians from interpreting things like they want. ;)

20. 1am3laine

1am3laine Active Member

+166
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    Stupendously large. Even GOD noticed the building and came down to see it.

I talk about the tower of babel in the link below.
    The Secrets of The Gospel: Tower of Babel