The Total Gym = Pain

Diakonos

christian soulJah
Nov 14, 2003
Visit site
✟15,495.00
Faith
Christian
About six months ago, I put my dumbbells down and gave The Total Gym a try(the one advertised by Chuck non-acting Norris). One of the reasons I decided to try it is because it is advertised as "safe" way to strength train, with very little risk of injury. To make a long story short, after using it of about 2 months, I developed a very painful trapezius muscle spasm. In laymen's terms, it a pain in the neck (no pun intended). I brought this up in another forum website, and found out that someone else had a developed joint pain upon using the total gym. I hate to throw it away, because I paid a decent amount of money for it. But, I'm not going to continue to use something that will injure me. Is anyone else using this piece of cra.. I mean equipment? How is it working for you?

LovingMother

Abuse Survivor
Oct 30, 2003
Visit site
✟1,191.00
Faith
Christian
I used to have a Total Gym that was damaged in a move. I'm now using an off-brand version, but only for low resistance work. It may seem silly, but you should always consult your doctor before using any equipment. Total Gym style systems are used effectively for physical therapy, but any piece of equipment can be harmful if you use it in such away that does not suit your body. Your doctor can help you design a workout using the gym that is right for you and won't hurt you.

If you still don't want the gym, sell it at a yard sale or on Ebay. At least you'll get some money back and you might be surprised how much money people are willing to bid up to on Ebay. :)

Upvote 0

catalyst

Aug 24, 2003
Visit site
✟533.00
Faith
Agnostic
You may wish to research the knowledge level of the physician who is designing your workout. Very few actually study anything wrt exercise prescription and programming unless they are working in the field in some way. Your average GP often knows less than your average gym rat, which is pretty scary.

Upvote 0

LovingMother

Abuse Survivor
Oct 30, 2003
Visit site
✟1,191.00
Faith
Christian
catalyst said:
You may wish to research the knowledge level of the physician who is designing your workout. Very few actually study anything wrt exercise prescription and programming unless they are working in the field in some way. Your average GP often knows less than your average gym rat, which is pretty scary.
Very true. A reputable doctor who does know little on the subject should send you to somebody who does have that knowledge. I would hope, though, that if working out is important in your daily life, that you would seek to have a doctor who understands what that implies for the condition of your body.

Upvote 0
I was a free weight lifter for years. I lifted heavy and developed a lot of back pain. So, with that issue to deal with, but wanting to workout I bought a total gym. My personal experience has been very different. I find that I am bulking up in different ways now. I still bench press heavy free weights to keep my chest and tri's big. However, I use the total gym for everything else. The total gym pumps up my biceps much better than free weights and I find that the effect on my abs is awesome. So, I love the total gym. I dont suffer with near the back pain and I get a more well rounded workout. Frankly, I cant imagine how you would get your neck hurt on the total gym. My biceps are really responding to the stress of the TG.

What I do is do all my TG workout for the day. Then I head for the weight bench which is pre-loaded with near max weight, since I am already warmed up. There I do three sets (sometimes 4). I want enough weight on the bar so that all I can do in the first set is 8 reps. Then I wanna exhaust till the last set is 3 or 4 reps. Heavy weight, low reps, builds bulk.

I'm sorry that the TG didnt work out for you. I will never be without one. That is untill I'm just to old to workout anymore.

Upvote 0

Diakonos

christian soulJah
Nov 14, 2003
Visit site
✟15,495.00
Faith
Christian
falconbrother said:
Frankly, I cant imagine how you would get your neck hurt on the total gym.
Any time I did any of excersises that worked my shoulders, or any exercise were my back was on the sliding boar (if that is the proper name for it) and my arms were extended above my head, my neck would hurt. Someone told me that I was probably extending my range of motion too far. So I tried to watch my range of motion. That didn't work. Someone else to me that I had the incline too high, and that the total gym was good for low resitence strenght training with lot of reps. That works to a certain degree, but if I do the shoulder exercises my neck still hurts. The only reason I haven't thrown that thing away is because I haven't gotten my money's worth out of it yet. For all of the excersises you are supposed to be able to do on that thing, I only do about five. Pull ups, bicep curls, tricep extensions, and for my legs hamstring curls and calve raises. :sigh:

Upvote 0

Muzza

Jan 14, 2004
Palmerston North
✟15,381.00
Faith
Christian
You know that its possible your not doing it the wrong way at all? Then again it is possible too... but some people are just more prone to injuring or pulling muscles. I have some medical condition, dont know what its called cause its just a bunch of letters and numbers. But basically it means that I have a very high tendency to strain or pull muscles whenever im doing exercise. I can warm up properly, warm down properly, go fairly easy on the exercise, but more often than not I will have sore muscles for a few days afterwards. Ive heard people say that if you have really sore muscles after exercise then you probably shouldnt be doing it. But I dont entirely agree with that. In my case if I did that, then I would never exercise at all. Id rather attempt to develop fitness though than give into the pain.

Upvote 0

TommyP

Jul 6, 2017
NYC
✟7,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Wow, that story sucks. But are you sure you did the exercises right? Or maybe you do something else that might make you injury prone and the exercise on the total gym just enhances it?

I have one myself and my uncle has had one for years. We're both very happy with it (and injury free).
Before I bought mine recently I did some research as to which one is best for me. To share this knowledge with others I posted it on my blog tomlikesbest.com.
In the end I bought the GTS.

Also I added some exercise videos to it. I usually do the one titled "Lose that gut" because, well I have a belly :p

What I've found during my research is that the total gym is good for staying fit and light toning, but shouldn't be used as a full on bodybuilding equipment. If you're looking to build tons of muscles, you need different workouts and more than just body weight.

I had never heard of people with injuries because of the total gym, but I'll definitely have a look out for more stories like these now and maybe add them to my article.
Thank you for sharing yours!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A physical theapist may be able to help you with a workout program.

Agree and I would make sure it is a therapist who is familiar with this type of injury. It sounds as though this is a type of "overuse" injury and or muscle imbalance that has developed.

Upvote 0

CoolDude68

Site Supporter
May 29, 2013
Budapest
✟127,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have a relative who has used the Total Gym for nearly three decades and never once had an injury. You may be tensing up in the areas when you work your upper body. Everyone is different, the TG may not be the best solution for your particular body. Don't use something that makes you feel worse, there's tons of other things you can do. Or, seek out a physical therapist or a good personal trainer and have a consultation with them and maybe they can give you suggestions.

Upvote 0